AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-11-18, 03:30   Link #1
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Crunchyroll Promises to Get Rid of Fansubs, Signs Deal to Stream Naruto, Gintama...

I'm surprised no one has point out this news...

So is CR really turning over a new leaf? I wonder whether TV Tokyo actually maybe purchased a controlling share in CR or something?

In any case, this may mark a new era: Worldwide streaming 1 hour after airing, legally, for friggin Naruto! If that's not change, well, what is?
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 03:31   Link #2
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post

In any case, this may mark a new era: Worldwide streaming 1 hour after airing, legally, for friggin Naruto Aria: The Animation! If that's not change, well, what is?
Now that's change.

Gintama is nice, though. And not so friggin mainstream.
Old 2008-11-18, 03:34   Link #3
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Now that's change.
You can't actually air something simultaneously that's finished airing already, you know. Try wishing for for some upcoming show or something .
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-11-18, 03:39   Link #4
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
You can't actually air something simultaneously that's finished airing already, you know. Try wishing for for some upcoming show or something .
It's legally streamed anime, right? Why would something need to be streaming live, for it to be legal? Unless they're streaming each episode of the series once, and only once, and after that, all who missed out are screwed.

Edit: Waitaminute. Is this streaming without subs? That would render it pretty meaningless, as most foreigners don't understand Japanese.

Last edited by Demi.; 2008-11-18 at 04:05.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 04:11   Link #5
cyth
Banned

Nah, it's going to be subtitled. Apparently, they will employ a subscription model for those that want to see it early. I just wonder is this going to be per-series subscription or are they planning such a service for all CR shows?

I wonder if there's a chance for Dattebayo to produce their subs... ww
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 11:11   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Streaming... nice for peeps with no caps; o wait, many ISPs are starting to cap, particularly ISPs with their own video content (cough: Comcast, Verizon).

Whatever - great for folks who like the "top 10" ... not so useful to niche tastebuds (cough: ARIA cough: Toradora! et cetera).
Old 2008-11-18, 11:12   Link #7
einhorn303

Getting rid of fansubs? CrunchyRoll 100% legit? Seriously? Seriously?!

I guess I can stop antagonizing them so much...and now I actually do hope they get the right to offer payed downloads of Strike Witches S2, as well as BOST.

And now I wonder what the other three shows will be? I'm assuming they'll all be TV Tokyo airing shows. I hope for at least one late-night otaku anime...on their website , there's a picture-coded schedule for the current anime:

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/animetable/

Sure, they have Soul Eater and Bleach and Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's and Shugo Chara, but also Toradora and Hyakko. Plus Zettai Karen Children, which is like both a kids shounen show and an otaku appeal show at the same time.

I have no idea, however, what there Winter season shows will be...but that's a guideline. And of course the normal ones, the Soul eaters and Yu-Gi-Oh's, will still be running for Winter.

Last edited by einhorn303; 2008-11-18 at 22:41.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 21:26   Link #8
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I've been saying for a couple years now that anime companies need to get more creative if they want to stop the bleeding and this is a step in the right direction (I hear CR got mad venture capital for this, so I to that)...The next step will be an anime company straight-up offering HQ fansub groups big dollars to do DVD subs, menus, web-advertising linking to that content legally (Also paying the fansub staff a REAL SALARY)...

It's coming...I wonder who the lucky group will be??^^
Old 2008-11-19, 22:57   Link #9
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
And now I wonder what the other three shows will be? I'm assuming they'll all be TV Tokyo airing shows. I hope for at least one late-night otaku anime...on their website , there's a picture-coded schedule for the current anime:

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/animetable/

Sure, they have Soul Eater and Bleach and Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's and Shugo Chara, but also Toradora and Hyakko. Plus Zettai Karen Children, which is like both a kids shounen show and an otaku appeal show at the same time.

I have no idea, however, what there Winter season shows will be...but that's a guideline. And of course the normal ones, the Soul eaters and Yu-Gi-Oh's, will still be running for Winter.
I'm betting on Bleach and Shuga Chara since a Doki viewer got a notice from BayTSP. You'd think an R1 distributor would have licensed Soul Eater by now.
Old 2008-11-20, 02:32   Link #10
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I've been saying for a couple years now that anime companies need to get more creative if they want to stop the bleeding and this is a step in the right direction (I hear CR got mad venture capital for this, so I to that)...The next step will be an anime company straight-up offering HQ fansub groups big dollars to do DVD subs, menus, web-advertising linking to that content legally (Also paying the fansub staff a REAL SALARY)...

It's coming...I wonder who the lucky group will be??^^
You seem to be assuming that they aren't doing this already? You realize that if it ever happens, it's not like the fansub group is going to post on their website:

"Sorry folks, but we're no longer distributing show XXX because the company is now paying us to do it. Go download it from their website, at $2 an ep, please. P.S. thanks for all your donations!"
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-11-20, 09:34   Link #11
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Sucks for people like me who don't have a lot of money. What little money I have is sapped by university and food. Sure, now I will just have to wait a week to watch new shows, but I am guessing it will eventually become to watch anything you will need to pay. I don't use Crunchyroll anyways, but I am guessing other streaming sites will do this and those who don't will be shut down. Torrents are out of the question. Sharing a very weak DSL line with 800 others killed torrents for me. Guess it will be time to find a new form of entertainment.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 10:01   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
You seem to be assuming that they aren't doing this already? You realize that if it ever happens, it's not like the fansub group is going to post on their website:

"Sorry folks, but we're no longer distributing show XXX because the company is now paying us to do it. Go download it from their website, at $2 an ep, please. P.S. thanks for all your donations!"
If anime companies were actively paying fansub groups FULL SALARIES (like doing this for a livng money and not a hobby anymore no-money) for providing subs and letting those same groups create menu templets and subtitle options of DVD releases, call me crazy, but I’d have to believe SOMEBODY would leak that story…

The Cruchy Roll story BTW, leaked over half a year ago in the now defunct Piq Magazine (Formely Newtype--formerly stole all my damn subscription money when they bombed magazine!!! >_<)

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2008-11-20 at 10:12.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 10:42   Link #13
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
If anime companies were actively paying fansub groups FULL SALARIES (like doing this for a livng money and not a hobby anymore no-money) for providing subs and letting those same groups create menu templets and subtitle options of DVD releases, call me crazy, but I’d have to believe SOMEBODY would leak that story…

The Cruchy Roll story BTW, leaked over half a year ago in the now defunct Piq Magazine (Formely Newtype--formerly stole all my damn subscription money when they bombed magazine!!! >_<)
Well, that's not the way it works in practice. What happens is people who fansub, experienced translators mainly, end up getting freelance translation work and moving into professional translation gigs. Like, for example, me. I don't do fansubbing anymore primarily for that reason, as I feel it would be a conflict of interest and somewhat schizophrenic. I'm not a full time translator yet and I sure don't translate ONLY anime, but I have been paid for translating anime now, and in the past was a fansubber.
And I'm not alone. There are a handful of other ex (or some, current) fansubbers that also work professionally. Some of them do work pro and fansub at the same time (not sure where they find the time for that ).
Normally the companies that hire them have no idea (nor do they care) what else these people have translated in their spare time, as long as they do a good job (or depending on the client, the cheapest possible job ).

And FYI, fansubbers have no idea how to create DVD menus. At least none that I know.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-11-20, 12:30   Link #14
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Well, that's not the way it works in practice. What happens is people who fansub, experienced translators mainly, end up getting freelance translation work and moving into professional translation gigs. Like, for example, me. I don't do fansubbing anymore primarily for that reason, as I feel it would be a conflict of interest and somewhat schizophrenic. I'm not a full time translator yet and I sure don't translate ONLY anime, but I have been paid for translating anime now, and in the past was a fansubber.
And I'm not alone. There are a handful of other ex (or some, current) fansubbers that also work professionally. Some of them do work pro and fansub at the same time (not sure where they find the time for that ).
Normally the companies that hire them have no idea (nor do they care) what else these people have translated in their spare time, as long as they do a good job (or depending on the client, the cheapest possible job ).

I think we got our wires’ crossed…I’m saying, what I feel like could or would be the next step is if an anime company, full-throttled, went after particular fansub groups who they deem to do a great job and have an equally great fanbase and distribution rate…Like in the CR situation, bankroll that with venture capital and see if that built in fansub fanbase can be exploited thru the popular group getting basically autonomy to create the content for legal distribution…I’m saying that could potentially be another creative step...Not just hiring some freelancers, but going after FULL GROUPS, trying to siphon them and their established base into the industry…
Old 2008-11-20, 12:47   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Not just hiring some freelancers, but going after FULL GROUPS, trying to siphon them and their established base into the industry…
I doubt that Crunchy or anyone else will ever want to distribute most of the anime titles currently being subbed on a worldwide basis. The audiences are too small to interest advertisers, and the viewers are probably not inclined to pay to watch things they've gotten for free for years. Look at the shows discussed here so far like Naruto and Gintama; these are long-running mainstream programs with established audiences. To me, using freelancers, or perhaps a small group of full-time translators, makes a lot more sense.

What this means for foreign licensors is an interesting question. Will Turner be willing to pay as much to air Naruto if it's previously been streamed? Will advertisers start buying availabilities on Crunchy and cut their spending on CN?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 12:49   Link #16
AceD
See You En' Tee

never even heard of the site till i read this

then again, i nevr weatch streamed content , id consider paying a monthly fee if it was a proper download...of decent quality
Old 2008-11-20, 14:33   Link #17
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SejiSensei
I doubt that Crunchy or anyone else will ever want to distribute most of the anime titles currently being subbed on a worldwide basis. The audiences are too small to interest advertisers, and the viewers are probably not inclined to pay to watch things they've gotten for free for years. Look at the shows discussed here so far like Naruto and Gintama; these are long-running mainstream programs with established audiences. To me, using freelancers, or perhaps a small group of full-time translators, makes a lot more sense.
Speaking of lost translations, hehe, maybe I should subtitle my posts…I’m not disagreeing with this…I’m saying, as a business model (which using venture capital in this project with CR has begun a more creative model), the next step MAY BE companies pursuing POPULAR fansub groups with high distro rates…Not niche programming, popular programming (atleast to begin)…With companies seemingly fading left and right there may be some gains here…

As a person who watches a $hitload of fansubs (as many of us here) I think it would be dope to watch a full series and then find out the group that I liked the most or the group most considered the best would get to subtitle that content for the DVD’s aswell (If not also having some sort of official link in creating the template for these DVD’s) and even better being able to purchase them right from the site once the series ends…And from there you could promote upcoming projects from said group with a real financial backing behind the effort…

CR’s venture is showing us that the industry may be inclined to attacking a different business model or a more creative avenue for exposing content thru the use of “underground” fansubbing or fan-hosting sites…I’m saying for them to do extensive homework (or venture capital type homework) on a Lunar, or an AonE, Dattebayo, Menclave, etc.—Check out the hits, the distro//torrent rates, the accuracy of the subbing, and then maybe approach groups with this business model (There losing money anyways)…

Fansub groups ain’t going anywhere….If 1000 sites get C&D’s and shut down weeds will pop up the next day to replace them…If the industry is losing as much as I’ve read them to be, more creative business approaches like the one with CR must be explored…I just personally think this would be the proper evolution to that end…The more I think about this, the more I think about patenting this idea if people think it’s so ridiculous (Yeah referring to the incoherent bad-repper, the hell does “raaaaeeg” mean anyways? O_o)…This sounds like a smart next step and groups would be fools to me to pass up on real-a$$ salaries and financial backing if it could be prudent…If my idea is totally baseless and filled with errors, i have no problem hearing you try and re-encode or V2 them if need be^^...
Old 2008-11-20, 15:35   Link #18
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

I have to say, the title of this thread gave me a mini heart attack thinking Crunchy would start becoming involved in removing sub groups (like DMCA). Removing all user uploaded content on their site seems like the best idea for them, and as a whole for the anime industry. Providing more legal ventures to free subs will boost both popularity and revenue. However in actuality this changes very little. Anyone who looks for 10 mins can probably find the episode streamed without ads and without waiting the week.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 16:02   Link #19
cyth
Banned

Add Shugo Chara and Skip Beat to CR's list.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-20, 16:57   Link #20
einhorn303

So two shounen titles and two shoujo titles so far...
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote