AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-01-03, 00:28   Link #21
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
...Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh? Air but no Clannad? Da faq am I reading?

There's nothing too surprising about this popularity list otherwise.
So, you’re saying that Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! are not popular enough? Dude, if there’s one thing indisputable about those franchises, that would be their popularity.
Old 2013-01-03, 03:20   Link #22
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Asahi Shimbun website assembled a list of 50 anime series that represent the electric range and heights of anime over the years:

*saw the list* -> *notice a title: Strike Witches*

GOD HELP US!!!
Hey, I like that show, goddammit

...but yeah, it isn't a top quality show, tho to be honest it's impact is notable...

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 03:30   Link #23
stormtrooper

Some names are questionable but some are missing. That's how I see it.
I like Strike Witches so yeah.
Old 2013-01-03, 03:40   Link #24
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
...but yeah, it isn't a top quality show, tho to be honest it's impact is notable...
It is the possibility that Strike Witches does influence the masses that is even more frightening.

*imagining a lot of people drooling over anime lolis who don’t cover their panties at all and wear animal ears and tails and holding big guns* *shiver*
Old 2013-01-03, 03:45   Link #25
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh?
Pokemon is recognized for being a bestselling and popular long-running game-to-anime franchise. Yu-Gi-Oh! is similar, but focuses more on card games. This is also probably the reason why Danball Senki (Little Battlers Experience) is also included, because it showed the aspect of anime that is closely linked with gaming and gaming merchandise.

K-ON is very popular with women as well, and is probably one of the most popular stories of anime tourism. Toyosato Elementary School might have been demolished if not for K-ON!'s use of the school as basis for Sakuragaoka High School.

Strike Witches, despite its immense amounts of fanservice, gave a unique twist to alternate history by depicting a version of the Second World War as cute girls fighting aliens.

Well, despite my thoughts about this, I'm sure people will still push that other series deserve the slots better than those in the list, but I'm sure that there's a reason why these series are recognized in the Fifty.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 03:53   Link #26
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is possible that without Strike Witches there would be no Girls und Panzer.
Old 2013-01-03, 03:57   Link #27
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ And no Vivid Red Operation, of course.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 04:08   Link #28
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
It is possible that without Strike Witches there would be no Girls und Panzer.
Yes, it’s possible. Thank God Girls und Panzer didn’t inherit the stupid-excessive-unhealthy fanservice which is the main course of Strike Witches. Also, the girls in GuP have far more interesting characters and interaction. Despite the dumb premise, I can still appreciate that show.
Old 2013-01-03, 09:21   Link #29
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I would like to congratulate the compilers of the list for including the remarkable Dennou Coil. I would have added a couple of other series from the extraordinary 2006-2008 period like Moribito but am happy to see recognition given to Coil.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 09:41   Link #30
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Doesn't Nanoha have some influence too?
Old 2013-01-03, 09:58   Link #31
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Not enough.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 10:22   Link #32
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
but I'm sure that there's a reason why these series are recognized in the Fifty.
Not really directed at you in particular but I'm surprised nobody's mentionned that there's actually much more than 50 animes on this list
Old 2013-01-03, 10:30   Link #33
Eragon
Still Alive

^ That would require reading the entire list
Old 2013-01-03, 10:36   Link #34
james0246

Not really debating the whole "masterpiece" thing, or even the inclusion or exclusion of specific titles. Just expressing my shock that I had seen so many 'recommended' titles (at least 90% if not more).

That being said, there are well over 50 titles shown here (probably closer to 100 if not more), so why is the list 50 titles for 50 years...

btw, LAboy 456 you wrote "electric range" in your OP; did you really mean eclectic?
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 11:02   Link #35
LAboy 456
Portuguese Anime Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
btw, LAboy 456 you wrote "electric range" in your OP; did you really mean eclectic?
On Crunchyroll, it's stated "electric range"... I've edited the first post to reflect Crunchyroll as the source of the translation of the article...

Last edited by LAboy 456; 2013-01-03 at 15:21.
LAboy 456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 12:33   Link #36
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

It's a pity that Ranma 1/2, Rurouni Kenshin,Mononoke, and Gunslinger Girl are not included on the list.

While I am a fan of Conan, given the fact that it is still airing till now, should it be on the list? I mean, I am sure there were other animes back then, like Fushigi Yuugi(though I won't say FY is a masterpiece).

A rather disappointing list, but I am happy that Cardcaptor Sakura, Slam Dunk, Galaxy Angels, FMA, Gintama, Suzumiya, TTGL and Eureka Seven are on the list. It kinda puzzles me that K-On!, Bleach, true tears and......Zero no Tsukaima(like, seriously? lol) are masterpieces.

I wonder if the list is a product of a collective decision that can be traced back to polls. It would suck to have a few staff sitting down at a cafe and drawing up their own list that does not reflect the opinion of the majority.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help

Last edited by MUAHAHAHAHAHA; 2013-01-03 at 12:44.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 16:20   Link #37
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
List is somewhat accurate until 1999. About then this list goes off on a weird tangent.
I have to agree with this as well since neither Nanoha nor Rozen Maiden are on it.

Last edited by Ichuki; 2013-01-03 at 16:43.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 17:31   Link #38
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The beginning of the list is surprisingly decent, but it becomes puzzling from 2000 onwards. And no, it's not because these years lacked good anime (2004 could have had Monster, Gankutsuou or Samurai Champloo, 2009 could have had Bakemonogatari or Cross game, etc...). It's weird to see gems like Gintama or Gurren Lagann mixed with unremarkable crap like Shana or Zero no Tsukaima. I hope whoever uses that list as a reference will be lucky enough to pick the right shows.

The list would have probably been better overall if they had stuck with one year = one anime.
Old 2013-01-03, 17:47   Link #39
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Strike Witches, despite its immense amounts of fanservice, gave a unique twist to alternate history by depicting a version of the Second World War as cute girls fighting aliens.
If it weren't for its huge amounts of fanservice, SW would have never been as popular nor as influential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's weird to see gems like Gintama or Gurren Lagann mixed with unremarkable crap like Shana or Zero no Tsukaima.
Oh, come on, they're not that bad... There's definitely worse stuff out there.
Old 2013-01-03, 17:54   Link #40
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Shakugan no Shana and Zero no Tsukaima gave us (aside from tsundere characters voiced by Kugimiya Rie) a positive and rising trend towards more LN adaptations
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote