AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2005-12-25, 22:13   Link #1
pianocello

Cyborg 009

Any fans of this? I'm mostly refering to the 2001 version but thoughts on the older versions are also welcome. It's a pity that they only released the 1st season in US. Anyone else seen the 2nd season? I thought the Hades arc was very well done.
pianocello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-01, 01:45   Link #2
Niffgiffler

Cyborg 009

I've heard that "the skull man" is a prequel to this, and the skull man is pretty damn cool, so I'd like to check it out.

Last edited by xris; 2007-10-01 at 02:58.
Niffgiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 13:40   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niffgiffler View Post
I've heard that "the skull man" is a prequel to this, and the skull man is pretty damn cool, so I'd like to check it out.
im not seeing any vibes between Skull Man and Cyborg 009 though its a completely different style the only thing in common is the fact that the evil villain in 009 Black Ghost has a person to compete with cyborg 009 that has a skull mask

i used to watch this anime on my television int he mornings several years ago, i love the series because it is so dramatic yet looks quite odd because it is based on something very old

i heard rumors about a new version of cyborg 009 coming out, when i dont remember but i remember seeing a trailer of it somewhere
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 17:00   Link #4
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
im not seeing any vibes between Skull Man and Cyborg 009 though its a completely different style the only thing in common is the fact that the evil villain in 009 Black Ghost has a person to compete with cyborg 009 that has a skull mask
You didn't understand The Skull Man anime's epilogue. The retro-fitted Skull Man looks exactly like SKULL and the foreign weapons-dealing organization that armed him is obviously Black Ghost. There was a hint to this in the name of it - Brain Gear. Plus, we got an explanation for why SKULL was so much more powerful than Joe - he was a cyborg with the Kagura Village skeletal mask that enhanced combat abilities.

Not to mention Kiriko's child had Joe's hair, which was the WORST PLOT TWIST EVER in my view. "I am your father!" was a half-arsed effort to shock the Star Wars viewers, but it was so inane people wouldn't have expected it a big-name professional film, and thus wasn't interpreted as such.

Last edited by Malintex_Terek; 2007-10-09 at 02:09.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 18:11   Link #5
Elehayym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
You didn't understand The Skull Man anime's epilogue. The retro-fitted Skull Man looks exactly like SKULL and the foreign weapons-dealing organization that armed him is obvious Black Ghost. There was a hint to this in the name of it - Brain Gear. Not to mention the explanation for why SKULL was so much more powerful than Joe was explained - he was a cyborg with the Kagura Village skeletal mask that enhanced combat abilities.

Not to mention Kiriko's child had Joe's hair, which was the WORST PLOT TWIST EVER in my view. "I am your father!" was a half-arsed effort to shock the Star Wars viewers, but it was so inane people wouldn't have expected it a big-name professional film, and thus wasn't interpreted as such.
Oh god, I didn't notice the detail of the child's hairstyle.

I *am* kinda shocked now

Anyway, the 1980 series was one of my favorite anime when I was a child and I still really like the characters. Would like to watch the 2001 one somewhen but never have time for it D:
Elehayym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 09:01   Link #6
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
You didn't understand The Skull Man anime's epilogue. The retro-fitted Skull Man looks exactly like SKULL and the foreign weapons-dealing organization that armed him is obvious Black Ghost. There was a hint to this in the name of it - Brain Gear. Not to mention the explanation for why SKULL was so much more powerful than Joe was explained - he was a cyborg with the Kagura Village skeletal mask that enhanced combat abilities.

maybe because i didnt see it thats why rofl, id idnt know it was an epilogue
now im def going to watch it

you are certain that this is the epilogue, the one made by bones?
Skullman epilogue of Cyborg 009 2001
i didnt see a conection based on the art, cyborg 009 2001 is draw differently from the skullman which is drawn more realistic atleased in the promo pics, i didnt see Skull Man, was planning to but never took the time to watch it
Old 2007-10-09, 02:10   Link #7
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

The Skull Man's epilogue is probably a hint at BONES wanting to do another Cyborg 009 TV series, probably in the same style.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 03:01   Link #8
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
The Skull Man's epilogue is probably a hint at BONES wanting to do another Cyborg 009 TV series, probably in the same style.
aah thank you!
hint on a new cyborg series... djuuh i hope it comes true, specially if Bones does it huwhaaaah /drool
Old 2007-10-13, 00:03   Link #9
Jeiku

I'm a tad upset as to how only the first eight episodes have been released on DVD; while not fantastic, the 2001 version of the anime got me interested. The way it presented the futility of battle and war reminded me slightly of Astro Boy's take on it.

I also love the ending theme "genesis of next" by globe. "What's the justice?" was good, but unfortunately the full version veers off into a completely different tune as well as sporting even less lyrics than the TV size version.
Jeiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 19:05   Link #10
SirLexson
O.G. For Real

Recently I finished watching "The Skull Man", which was excellent, and found out that it was a psuedo prequel to the classic Cyborg 009. Then I found out that they remade Cyborg 009 in 2001. Upon finding this out, I tried to find it in stores, only to find out that America has only released 8 episodes, and that was in 2004. I also cannot find any import dvds on the internet. Does anybody know where I may find the 2001 version of Cyborg 009?

Thanks
SirLexson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-08, 00:35   Link #11
kauldron26
Med Student

i gotta say i wasnt expecting anything good from this anime at all. it was very surprising. i was expecting the show to be one of those anime that is pure fan service with no substance. i was quite wrong.

i dont know why i have always been a fan of old school animation, especially the kind used in TERRA (which is the best anime of 2007). 0091 uses the old school style to the fullest just like they did in giant robo. i liked it alot, it fits the time in which the story takes place too. its like a futuristic past in which the cold war is still going on.

the soundtrack i loved because my favorite genre of music is jazz... and all the music here is all jazz baby. and the dub was very well done. nothing is held back and nothing is lost in translation.

the weakest point of this anime is in the story. each episode focuses on a specific case or mystery. which i believe was also the weak point of mushishi In my own opinion. however what really blew my mind was the dvd only episode called rhythm and blues and i have to say it is one of the best episodes i`ve seen all year. this episode was about how we find love where we least expect it, and how frail it is. when we find it we are swept up in the moment and we have to treasure those moments, because as soon as it comes, it can also be lost as easily. the episode was beautiful and painful.

in regards to character, it was very different because each episode gives us insight on who mylene really is, and sometimes we cant tell if she`s a good person, or just a cold hearted bitch to the core. but that is what makes it interesting. we are forced to contemplate on out preconceptions on what makes a person good or evil.

i enjoyed the anime quite alot, and i have to say it has some of the best music i have heard all year. and the action scenes were quite spectacular.

i told myself i would only write reviews about shows i absolutely fell in love with, shows that rate a 9 or higher, but now im compelled to put some of my word out there when im done with a series.
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-31, 13:28   Link #12
tyciol
*Artist

Since this is the latest in a series of Cyborg 009 works which I do not know if they are licensed or not (we have trackers for 1 film and 1 TV) I made a thread for discussing these previous works: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=105970
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote