AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-13, 23:28   Link #601
Eclar
Avid reader

The King and the government are aware of that, but they have so many things to deal with that goblins are the least of their problems.
Old 2018-10-13, 23:29   Link #602
Keila

Places like waste-disposal plants (real world, where they treat sewerage, etc). You effectively have workers who need to 'hang around' crap, managing it, monitoring it and ultimately end up smelling like it. It's not a glamorous job by any means but someone has to do it. The question is, how much would you need to be paid to convince you to take on work like this (keeping in mind that you will inevitably end up smelling like crap on a more or less permanent basis)?

If you could make an absolute killing (think mountains of gold) killing goblins everyone would do it (especially since they're considered the weakest monsters). But given that you could still 'die' (if you consider death the worst thing) whilst fighting goblins then you need to start thinking at what 'payout' does it actually make it worth my while.
Old 2018-10-13, 23:30   Link #603
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

And I still have issues about goblin-threats only being treated like some kind of roach infestations by all those adventurers considering all the human casualties. Looks like this world is a real shit-hole to live in.
Old 2018-10-13, 23:31   Link #604
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclar View Post
The King and the government are aware of that, but they have so many things to deal with that goblins are the least of their problems.
Which probably falls on my first option that they haven't FULLY realized the gravity of the situation. If the King is actually fully aware, then he simply needed to mandate a bounty increase and let the Guild handle the rest.
Old 2018-10-13, 23:34   Link #605
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
And I still have issues about goblin-threats only being treated like some kind of roach infestations by all those adventurers considering all the human casualties. Looks like this world is a real shit-hole to live in.
That's the most realistic thing about this series.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 23:37   Link #606
Sixth
Hu Tao

People should treat guild as a "platform" instead of a "company" that hire adventurers to do their dirty works. Yeah, maybe they should intervene in the certain situation, but at the same time, they don't have obligation to do so.

People keep saying that those "villagers" paying tax but at the same, they seemingly forgot that people who got killed by dragon, troll, demon, lich are also paying tax too.

Heck, even Superman will put his entire focus on taking down Darkseid and his armies first, assuming that Darkseid and few human thugs are committing a crime/assaulting the Earth at the same time frame.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 23:37   Link #607
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Places like waste-disposal plants (real world, where they treat sewerage, etc). You effectively have workers who need to 'hang around' crap, managing it, monitoring it and ultimately end up smelling like it. It's not a glamorous job by any means but someone has to do it. The question is, how much would you need to be paid to convince you to take on work like this (keeping in mind that you will inevitably end up smelling like crap on a more or less permanent basis)?
Considering that sludge from sewers is pretty toxic, I'm sure that people who do work with that and other jobs are aware of the dangers and are still doing it because of their contributions to their respective communities. Just ask Mike Rowe. He's been there.

Quote:
Heck, even Superman will put his entire focus on taking down Darkseid and his armies first, assuming that Darkseid and few human thugs are committing a crime/assaulting the Earth at the same time frame.
Unfair comparison. He's not the only superhero around, and the police that are on duty are there to do their duties too.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 23:43   Link #608
Eclar
Avid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Which probably falls on my first option that they haven't FULLY realized the gravity of the situation. If the King is actually fully aware, then he simply needed to mandate a bounty increase and let the Guild handle the rest.
That's not going to help the situation. They are using their resources to deal with what they consider right now big threats to humanity. If they redirect part of it to goblins, those threats are going to gain the upper hand inmediately. Considering that goblins are the largest pest, imagine how much they are going to spend just to increase 1 gold coin per bounty to the entire frontier.
Old 2018-10-13, 23:44   Link #609
Random14

This is a medieval world and a big countryside. It takes Goblin Slayer days to reach his target, so that's somewhat far away. And with the way people casually mention fighting demons and dragons, those are regular threats too. Yes, a growing goblin horde is also a serious problem, but what government there is is probably busy with bigger problems like demons. Thinking a country should be able to handle every threat in an efficient manner is expecting too much. Especially with goblins attacking easy targets like tiny villages.

We already saw the normal procedure for a goblin quest- a poor villager comes in and offers as much money as they can spare, and rookie adventurers will throw themselves at the quest until eventually its completed. Guild Girl tries to warn them, but most of them don't listen.

The novel touches on these ideas more, but adventurers are out to make money or earn fame. Goblin Slayer is the exception since he's out to get revenge on the goblins, but he's not amoral either. He's messed up, but not a monster himself. Not warm and friendly of course, but he did immediately offer a potion to Priestess when he showed up, not like he tried to make her pay for it. Yeah, its messed up, but that's medieval world for you. The interesting part is seeing Goblin Slayer's one man war on goblins.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 23:44   Link #610
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
People keep saying that those "villagers" paying tax but at the same, they seemingly forgot that people who got killed by dragon, troll, demon, lich are also paying tax too.
I don't forget. The fact that they are doing something about those means they are aware of the losses those creatures are causing or can potentially cause them. Like I said, there are a lot of factors causing it, but I still feel that the current obliviousness about the actual level of goblin threat is still within reason.

Quote:
That's not going to help the situation. They are using their resources to deal with what they consider right now big threats to humanity. If they redirect part of it to goblins, those threats are going to gain the upper hand inmediately. Considering that goblins are the largest pest, imagine how much they are going to spend just to increase 1 gold coin per bounty to the entire frontier.
I'll give an analog: It's probably like how the current government is still thinking that the black death plague that is appearing in their country is your usual pandemic outbreak so they aren't going to spare more resource than usually necessary because they are currently at war with the neighboring country.
Old 2018-10-13, 23:48   Link #611
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
I don't forget. The fact that they are doing something about those means they are aware of the losses those creatures are causing or can potentially cause them. Like I said, there are a lot of factors causing it, but I still feel that the current obliviousness about the actual level of goblin threat is still within reason.
It is more like that they don't have enough manpower or resource to cover all things at once.
Old 2018-10-13, 23:49   Link #612
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
The interesting part is seeing Goblin Slayer's one man war on goblins.
I like worldbuilding more than the cast, but the cast (including the mooks) can definitely ruin my enjoyment of a fantasy series.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-13, 23:50   Link #613
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
It is more like that they don't have enough manpower or resource to cover all things at once.
The goblins already ARE draining their manpower and resource, they just don't notice yet.
Old 2018-10-13, 23:51   Link #614
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
That's the most realistic thing about this series.
Yes, and like Gundam IBO, it's a shit world. That part is not a criticism towards the show. Just saying what I think.

Still, the fanservice is really unnecessary and I think it's a gross addition to an otherwise very nice episode.
Old 2018-10-13, 23:55   Link #615
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
The goblins already ARE draining their manpower and resource, they just don't notice yet.
Dragon, Lich, Troll, Demon did the same thing, but in the larger scale.

Just imagine a dragon flew thru a city and burn everything to the ground in a short time. It would take a lot lot of goblins to replicate what the dragon just did.

Ever play Starcraft or something? Your main base and 2nd base are under attack. Your main base has all essential stuff, workers and production buildings and your 2nd base have only a handful of worker mining the minerals. Which base that you will defend with your main forces?
Old 2018-10-13, 23:58   Link #616
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Dragon, Lich, Troll, Demon did the same thing, but in the larger scale.

Just imagine a dragon flew thru a city and burn everything to the ground.

Ever play Starcraft or something? Your main base and 2nd base are under attack. Your main base has all essential stuff, workers and production buildings and your 2nd base have only a handful of worker mining the minerals. Which base that you will defend with your main forces?
I have trouble grasping what you are trying to say. But I guess you are implying that you think my original second point is true: that the government are fully aware about the actual extent of the threat but still think all those losses are negligible?
Old 2018-10-13, 23:58   Link #617
Eclar
Avid reader

Quote:
I'll give an analog: It's probably like how the current government is still thinking that the black death plague that is appearing in their country is your usual pandemic outbreak so they aren't going to spare more resource than usually necessary because they are currently at war with the neighboring country.
Except that instead of the neighboring country, they are getting a fight from all sides.
Old 2018-10-13, 23:59   Link #618
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Except that instead of the neighboring country, they are getting a fight from all sides.
Either way, they're screwed.
Old 2018-10-14, 00:09   Link #619
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
I have trouble grasping what you are trying to say. But I guess you are implying that you think my original second point is true: that the government are fully aware about the actual extent of the threat but still think all those losses are negligible?
More like that they have no choice to let that happen. They can't spread their forces too thin considering that there are a demon lord and other high tier monsters lurking around. In episode 1, there is a mob character saying something about "demon lord" appearing or something.

Based on the author's interview, GS is a Batman or Punisher who is busying dealing with thugs on the street while Superman, Thor, WonderWoman and other powerful heroes are fighting against Darkseid, Galactus, Thanos, Ultron at another side of the planet.
Old 2018-10-14, 00:19   Link #620
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
More like that they have no choice to let that happen.
Like I said, they are screwed. One can even theorize that this is a ploy by the demon lord to slowly kill humanity from the inside.

Suddenly I am imagining a post-apocalyptic-medieval world where humanity was on the brink of destruction, living scattered in the edges and the first narration sentence was "We made a mistake".

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy