AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 10 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 40.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 24.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-08, 20:54   Link #61
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i wouldn't say Tooru would be jealous. he doesn't seem the type to be that way. if anything, he's one to suppress what he feels.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-05-08, 20:55   Link #62
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Well, he probably wouldn't be outright jealous. But we probably will see him get jealous whether in front of Ohana or not... Teehee~
Old 2011-05-08, 21:48   Link #63
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

You know, I really like how all the older womens faces are drawn. So devious and sexy like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i wouldn't say Tooru would be jealous. he doesn't seem the type to be that way. if anything, he's one to suppress what he feels.
Which as of this latest episode he's been doing with varying degrees of success. As of late he looks like an absolute idiot. Though given how much they've been playing up Tohru's growing attraction towards Ohana, I doubt this is just something that's going to fizzle out.

Though crack thought. You think Tohru would feel compelled to ask Grandma for permission for trying to go out with Ohana? It certainly would escalate the feeling of shock beyond what she got when Ko confessed to her, considering that the Grandma would probably

A:Endorse Ohana matching up with Tohru
or
B: Tell her to not mess around wit him
Old 2011-05-08, 22:00   Link #64
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

^ I think Grandma would probably support them but only after saying something along the lines of:

"Don´t enter such a relationship half-heartedly. Be completely serious because if you mess this up, there's going to be lots of shit and whatnot. Think about the fact that he is aspiring to become a succesful cook and that you are a high school student."

but yeah, I think she'd support them. xD;;
Old 2011-05-08, 22:16   Link #65
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Please tell me that Tooru is not a total lolicon and was blushing at Nako being smoking hot in that china dress being embarrassed and all

Anyway, I had the exact same reaction with Ohana when I got my first payment, and it really sucks now that I think about it
Old 2011-05-08, 22:23   Link #66
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's interesting how I tend to have a totally contrarian view of this show - aside from #3, I've pretty much loved the eps most posters don't care for and been indifferent towards the well-received ones. So many glowing reviews for #6 here, but it was pretty much a yawner for me. It had a few nice moments, but lacked any snap or charm for the most part. The whole bit with the consultant felt forced and artificial and really, is it such a big deal for the staff at a traditional ryokan to wear kimono? Is that worth building an episode around?

It definitely looks like the foreshadowing of a Tohru crush on Ohana was legit - I don't see how it can be doubted after seeing him today. Once a man drops his pickle, love can't be far behind...
Old 2011-05-08, 22:31   Link #67
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

My take on the episode

I like Okami-san this episode.

Please do not have a love triangle with Ohana, Tohru and Minko. That's just disgusting.
Old 2011-05-08, 22:54   Link #68
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Curses, this is turning out exactly how I envisioned it to be.

I haven't watched any episodes yet, but much like any shipping activities that almost always are devoid of reason, I liked what I saw in Tohru and Ohana's character design at first glance and... paired them up. That's right, even before the show started, all the pretty colours and design shamelessly hit all my weak spots. Damn you, shipping radar.

Damn you too, love triangle, for I am weak to this specific set-up.

I put this show on the back burner because I really don't have time, but if turns out to be Tohru x Ohana endgame, I'll be on it faster than a fat kid on cake, despite not having touched any of the episodes. How the shipper side could've conceived such a miserable revelation is a bit jarring to the heart, but nevertheless, I'll be keeping an eye out on the developments, and hopefully, it end with the desired pairing in mind.
Old 2011-05-08, 23:05   Link #69
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
"As long as we are doing something, it's all good"

--Ah, well Ohana might be wise beyond her years if she knows that. She may not be good at understanding others yet, as proven that she thought the dresses weren't as hot enough but she definitely understands herself. This episode got that point across really well, and the fact that Nako has huge boobs.

It was also funny to see Ohana get excited over the money. It's money she earned, and well her mom sucks.

Oh, Takako, you look like a stock villain from a Miyazaki movie. You and your silly gimmicks. Hmm...

Mr. Old guy is awesome as her manages to show another side of grandma that most people might not have remembered about. Back then she had tried something new, but it wasn't come across that well. But no Ohana is here making stuff work, so even if her work is somewhat sloppy, results do speak for themselves. Perhaps they can reach an understnding.

Stupid Jinomaru moment: When he shows that he really needs a restraining order.

Service! Service! Moment: Nako has huge boobs.

Minko's presence in this episode was minimal, thus the show is better. Also, the BGM this episode was well used in a way I haven't felt in quite a while.

Rating: 8/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-05-08, 23:10   Link #70
weaponX
Designated facepalmer

the ending of this episode was pretty epic for a hanasaku episode.

old fella FTW!

also awesome kimonos FTW!
misery no more.”
Proverbs 31: 6-7MyAnimeList
Old 2011-05-08, 23:36   Link #71
icatero
well, okay

It was an alright episode, I wasn't too interested with Ohana's uncle or the outfits. The final outfit they dug up looked weird with the white apron thing. I'm glad they went back to the original uniform.

Ohana was pretty cute with the paycheck, but one has to wonder how she thinks, what with the whole cosplay and making-the-slits-higher deal.

It was nice to see that Ohana can now hold nightly conversations with Minko, that was a highlight for me. xD

But now my worst fear has come true: Tohru and Ohana just doesn't appeal to me. I mean, I wouldn't mind if Minko didn't end up with Tohru, or if Minko ended up with Ko (although I would still prefer OhanaxKo), but the idea of Ohana and Tohru, of all people, grosses me out. Of course, there's still the possibility that either

A) Tohru was imagining Minko in the dress
B) Tohru was looking at Nako or
C) Tohru was looking at Tomoe,

but I guess that's highly unlikely..

But I'm glad that Minko picked up on it as soon as it started. I was scared her relationship with Ohana would go back to square one, but I think she knows it's not Ohana's fault (even though she was more irritable towards Ohana, she still waited for her before school near the end). I like to think that she's still sharp, even when it comes to love and such. I still don't want this love triangle though. I'd sooner have some kind of yuri triangle between the three main girls (not that I think the idea is bad. LOL).
Old 2011-05-09, 00:36   Link #72
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's interesting how I tend to have a totally contrarian view of this show - aside from #3, I've pretty much loved the eps most posters don't care for and been indifferent towards the well-received ones. So many glowing reviews for #6 here, but it was pretty much a yawner for me. It had a few nice moments, but lacked any snap or charm for the most part. The whole bit with the consultant felt forced and artificial and really, is it such a big deal for the staff at a traditional ryokan to wear kimono? Is that worth building an episode around?
It's a big deal because Sui (the grandmother and proprietor of the inn), constructed and tried to use the outfits many years previous for the exact same reason Ohana and her uncle were using the outfits. In one brief moment 3 generations were deeply connected by their love for the Inn and their desire to help the Inn to be great.

At least that is why the episode is important to me (besides the potential love quadrangle).

(As for the consultant, I imagine she was added more to give Enishi someone to be matched with before the fans start trying to pair up Enishi and Tomoe (we all know Tomoe will end up with Renji).)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
You know, I really like how all the older womens faces are drawn. So devious and sexy like.
Agreed, even Sui strikes a strong figure, and her smile definetly sheds her years.

Last edited by james0246; 2011-05-09 at 02:02.
Old 2011-05-09, 01:14   Link #73
Bordix

And here I was expecting some teasing from Tooru when Ohana wore the chinese dress. Damn, please don't make him go gaga every time he sees Ohana. I missed the constant trolling and bickering already.

I believe the dress was only a short term solution on the Inn's decline, nostalgia and pretty girls can only take you so far. I could even see them resort to drastic measures like firing some of the staff in the future. Yeah, that'd be good drama material.
Old 2011-05-09, 01:17   Link #74
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

wait, which one is Renji? I'd prefer to see Tomoe as an independent character. she seems the part from what i see. plus its a gag that she's single.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-05-09, 01:58   Link #75
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It's a big deal because Sui (the grandmother and proprietor of the inn), constructed and tried to use the outfits many years previous for the exact same reason Ohana and her uncle were using the outfits. In one brief moment 3 generations were deeply connected by their love for the Inn and their desire to help the Inn to be great.

At least that is why the episode is important (besides the potential love quadrangle).
Yes yes, I quite understand - but to me, that point felt like it would have been played out in 5 minutes. It just didn't pack enough weight to carry an entire episode. Just my two cents - as I said, I haven't agreed with the masses about any episode of this show except the third one.
Old 2011-05-09, 02:02   Link #76
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Yes yes, I quite understand - but to me, that point felt like it would have been played out in 5 minutes. It just didn't pack enough weight to carry an entire episode. Just my two cents - as I said, I haven't agreed with the masses about any episode of this show except the third one.
I'm not sure why you're referring to the masses. The people like me who didn't enjoy episodes 3-5 seem to be in minority from my impression.
Old 2011-05-09, 02:14   Link #77
james0246

Quote:
Sure, if you just want them to come right out and say it . I thought the writers led the episode quite well, starting with the idea of a first paycheck (or at least a significant bump in pay); to the idea that the money could simply disappear due to being put out of business; then to various approaches to saving the inn/money; before finally focusing on the emotional impact of the family as they attempt to save the inn (this also potentially opens up the idea of the inn meaning more than just a source of money, which can shape Ohana in new and interesting ways). Just in terms of narrative, I felt the episode was quite well put together.

And, of course, this is just my two cents . I’ve never really minded ponderous, so a slow pace doesn’t bother as so long as something significant (even if just significant-lite) occurs. To put it another way, if the final dresses weren’t made by the grandmother for a similar purpose as Ohana and Enshi's desires, then the entire episode loses its emotional center, and consequently loses its “weight”.

Honestly, my main complaint was the lack of Grey Heron...though Yuina and weird old dude did make up for the missing mascot...
Old 2011-05-09, 02:45   Link #78
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I'm not sure why you're referring to the masses. The people like me who didn't enjoy episodes 3-5 seem to be in minority from my impression.
Or they're like me and just haven't bothered arguing about it.

Frankly, the biggest thing dragging the show down at this point is the pacing. There are a lot of unnecessary scenes in the first half of the sixth episode. It tends to stretch things out far too long and spends time on things which don't further the story or characters in any meaningful way. The characters are entertaining and I like the story so far, and I generally like this sort of show. With tighter pacing like the first two episodes had, this show could be great.
Old 2011-05-09, 03:13   Link #79
VentAileron

I agree that the pacing is somewhat slow, but I'll say this again too: The first few episodes are always more exciting because of the freshness of the show, that coupled with the great execution of the first half of episode 1 make the rest feel a bit disappointing.

The reason HanaIro feels slow is that it doesn't have a noticeable plot that spans over all the episodes. Meaning that you can only address one problem in a single episode, which is exactly what's happening since the beginning of episode 2.

But then again, if you sum up what has been revealed in this episode, it sums up to a decent amount. Also don't expect writers to 'cut to the chase' that fast, because they need to hold the suspense of the public. Remember, this episode was partially a fanservice episode like episode 3. That indeed drags on for too long.
Old 2011-05-09, 03:44   Link #80
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Crap... so I was right about Tohru. Ko needs to come visit Kissuiso.

It's not really her first paycheck though, because her mother paid her for kousekeeping. I know that may sound like an allowance, but to Ohana it was still a paycheck since she still had to work to earn it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That's a fair point, I hadn't thought of it that way...

Just because she has to work of it, it's still allowance though. There are plenty of families, where you need to do house chores to get your allowance. (granted, Ohana did more than just a "few" house chores)

In her mind the 8,000 yen was still allowance, since she noted immediately that it was calculate from her age x 500 yen and that work is great because that's the reason she got 20,000 yen and she didn't get shafted by her grandma because she's family. (assuming Ohana got the similar amount as Minko, Nako doesn't count since she as she doesn't work there as a live-in)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Or they're like me and just haven't bothered arguing about it.

Frankly, the biggest thing dragging the show down at this point is the pacing. There are a lot of unnecessary scenes in the first half of the sixth episode. It tends to stretch things out far too long and spends time on things which don't further the story or characters in any meaningful way. The characters are entertaining and I like the story so far, and I generally like this sort of show. With tighter pacing like the first two episodes had, this show could be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
I agree that the pacing is somewhat slow, but I'll say this again too: The first few episodes are always more exciting because of the freshness of the show, that coupled with the great execution of the first half of episode 1 make the rest feel a bit disappointing.

The reason HanaIro feels slow is that it doesn't have a noticeable plot that spans over all the episodes. Meaning that you can only address one problem in a single episode, which is exactly what's happening since the beginning of episode 2.

But then again, if you sum up what has been revealed in this episode, it sums up to a decent amount. Also don't expect writers to 'cut to the chase' that fast, because they need to hold the suspense of the public. Remember, this episode was partially a fanservice episode like episode 3. That indeed drags on for too long.

I don't agree that pacing is the problem, shows like these has alway been in similar pacing. These shows are slice of life and in East Asia (China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea) they are referred as healing-genre anime. The whole point of these shows are simply be pleasant, relaxing, and uplifting similar to K-On except K-on is also more of a comedy and moe genre. Too much up and down will just ruin the genre, it's like asking harem anime to have zero fan-service or shonen action to have no fight scenes. But of course, there's always chance they can pull a Madoka here and turn it into a dark series which could be interesting but I hope not since pure healing-genre is hard to come by these days as is and a good one was even less.....

Either way, all the news I got from East Asia is that the series is widely considered as one of the top and most well-made series this spring along with Kaminomi and Ao no Exorcist. The city of Kanazawa has began promote their city tourism alongside as the anime air, and the Chinese subbing group for Hanairo has ballooned to 15 by my last count.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-05-09 at 04:41.
Closed Thread