AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-20, 11:00   Link #81
Sunder the Gold

I'm thinking "Overdrive - Mode Green" is an IS Skill.

1) It has nothing to do with her blades, into which she allegedly pumped every bonus.

2) It shined. Not just when it was activated, but continuously, for as long as it was in effect, as Niko said that IS Skills would.

As to effect, it's hard to tell. It could increase the strength of her armor, but mostly it just seems to improve her ability to dodge. It did not, however, prevent her from concentrating on finding an opening in Nidhogg's defense, or from attacking.

Hard to say why she abandoned the technique after landing just one blow.

It's interesting to suppose that KYH has one IS technique for each of the other pure colors: Red and Blue modes, and such.
Old 2013-02-20, 12:21   Link #82
judasmartel
*Author

<<Terminate Sword>> is most likely to be useful against regenerating opponents.

I was reminded again of the statement that it would be a troll if KYH's real name would be Sachika since her VA (Sachika Misawa) also bears that name.
Old 2013-02-20, 12:33   Link #83
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
<<Terminate Sword>> is most likely to be useful against regenerating opponents.
But that wouldn't matter against Lagoon Dolphin, whom Black Lotus did not suspect of having regeneration.

Further, it did not prevent Chrome Disaster from regenerating after she cut him.
Old 2013-02-20, 12:59   Link #84
judasmartel
*Author

Wait, just to be sure, Terminate Sword is passive, right?
Old 2013-02-20, 13:13   Link #85
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Wait, just to be sure, Terminate Sword is passive, right?
Right, meaning that it takes effect anytime someone is cut by the blade.

Dolphin was kicking at Lotus' leg. If Lotus had rotated her leg, Dolphin's foot would be severed without question because of Terminate Sword.

Lotus felt merciful, and so instead stabbed that leg down into the earth; Dolphin's kick impacted against the flat side of her leg-blade and cracked it, but Lotus remained unmoved.

But Terminate Sword shouldn't have been necessary. If the blades already had the power to cut regardless of armor (piercing even the nigh-indestructible floor-base of the world), then the force of Dolphin's own kick (if intercepted by the blade rather than the flat) would have severed her foot.

One possibility is that Terminate Sword turns near-severings into total severings. As in: If your fingers or limbs would only be half-cut, they are instead totally cut off.
Old 2013-02-24, 13:17   Link #86
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

To answer the mode green question, yes it is. Head over to the LN thread, I've just published the Chinese Wiki for KYH, and it explicitly states Modes are her IS skills.

About Terminating Sword, I was thinking along the lines of probability of cutting. To explain:

In an equally matched fight, say, Level 1 v Level 1, KYH has a certain low probability of cutting, or severing, when a sword limb comes into contact with the opponent.

This probability rises by small amounts, factoring in speed of the strike, angle of attack, special skills being used by either avatar.

This probabilty changes by a moderate amount when factoring in level differences, Enhanced Armaments in contact with the sword-limb, and what part of the sword limb. Remember KYH vs Pile, her sword hand was right on his pile driver and it wasn't being cut.

Finally, the probability changes by a large amount if a weak spot is targeted, or KYH is using IS to artificially increase the probability.

AW is very much an MMO and these probability mechanics are right at home here. And while we mainly have Lotus vs Radio to go on as evidence, it does somewhat explain why Radio can go 1v1 with her: he only parried with his scepter (possibly a high-class armament), attacked with high speed, and being of equal level, the default probability of being cut in two is the same as a hypothetical fight between Level 1 Lotus and Radio.

And then he got his horn sliced right off because it definitely was part of his head, an critical area which boosted the probability of being cut.
Old 2013-02-24, 14:05   Link #87
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusjecht View Post
To answer the mode green question, yes it is. Head over to the LN thread, I've just published the Chinese Wiki for KYH, and it explicitly states Modes are her IS skills.
Mode Red, Blue and Green.

Notably, she doesn't have a Yellow Mode. She can imagine going so far out of close range that she lands in Red, but not so far into Yellow that she gets past Green.

From the beginning, Black Lotus is a direct-damage close-range avatar, after all. Despite being allegedly pure Colorless, Lotus is biased in a way that suggests a chromatic color affinity.

Quote:
About Terminating Sword, I was thinking along the lines of probability of cutting. To explain:
To summarize: Brain Burst fudges its emulation of reality as far as dismemberment is concerned.

So even with the power to cut cleanly through any armor, Black Lotus could only count on reducing HP without regards to her own strength or the target's toughness, but she could not reliably sever body parts with a single strike.

At least until she got Terminate Sword, which increased her chances to inflict dismemberment to 100%, but still only under certain conditions.

Quote:
And then he got his horn sliced right off because it definitely was part of his head, an critical area which boosted the probability of being cut.
The probably was also probably increased by the fact that it was a nearly-inconsequential part of the head.

Speaking of all this, I'm not sure Death By Embrace is all that hot.

Between Absolute Cutting, Terminate Sword, and having an opponent in such a vulnerable position as an embrace with her swords at his neck, why does she need a "Level 8" attack and a full SP gauge to pull it off?

It smacks of Spiral Gravity Driver -- an investment with insigificant returns.
Old 2013-02-25, 09:39   Link #88
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Mode Red, Blue and Green.

Notably, she doesn't have a Yellow Mode. She can imagine going so far out of close range that she lands in Red, but not so far into Yellow that she gets past Green.

Between Absolute Cutting, Terminate Sword, and having an opponent in such a vulnerable position as an embrace with her swords at his neck, why does she need a "Level 8" attack and a full SP gauge to pull it off?

Spoiler for Reply:
Old 2013-02-25, 09:45   Link #89
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post

Because all her special moves - at least, the ones we know of - are OHKO moves.

Death By Barraging would have killed Dolphin instantly had she not been using Tidal Wave. Death By Piercing IIRC also OHKOs. But Embracing not only deals a critical hit, it's used to kill opponents, not just hurt them.

Spoiler for Known victims:

What I'm basically saying is that Embracing is so powerful it justifies the need for full SP gauge and point-blank contact.
Old 2013-02-25, 10:35   Link #90
judasmartel
*Author

Okay, sorry if OT, but what about Spiral Gravity Driver?

Spoiler for KYH Real Name:

Last edited by judasmartel; 2013-02-25 at 11:14.
Old 2013-02-25, 12:11   Link #91
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

>.> is it a custom to credit translators here? Even then..

I'll concede, Gold. I'll post the wiki translations in the respective character threads where appropriate. Thus:

Quote:
Continuing from Haru which I did here, next is Kuroyukihime. I'll abbreviate her name as KYH.
Spoiler for Chinese Wiki KYH:

Spoiler for My response:
Gold's main consternation with Spiral Gravity Driver is its apparently low reward in terms of damage when compared to the difficulty of landing a hit with hit. I say apparently, because in both LN and anime, there has not been any other scene in which Taku has used SGD against another opponent of comparable level.
Old 2013-02-25, 12:18   Link #92
judasmartel
*Author

Hm, I see.

So what do you think of my "alternate reading" theory above?
Old 2013-02-25, 18:19   Link #93
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Because all her special moves - at least, the ones we know of - are OHKO moves.

Death By Barraging would have killed Dolphin instantly had she not been using Tidal Wave.
Barraging is explicitly the one move she's displayed which does NOT inflict Instant Death.

Barraging is for when she's not confident of scoring one successful hit, and so tries to kill through regular damage with as many strikes as possible.

Quote:
Death By Piercing IIRC also OHKOs. But Embracing not only deals a critical hit, it's used to kill opponents, not just hurt them.
If a move only hurts someone, it's not One-Hit-Kill. Piercing carries the property of One-Hit-Kill, so it's also used to KILL opponents, not just hurt them.

Spoiler for Known victims:

Was that spoiled for the benefits of others, or myself? I had no idea, so I openned and looked.

Now I don't know whether I'm angrier at you or myself.

Anything and everything about Spiral Gravity Driver is discussed in Takumu's character thread. It's easy to find.
Old 2013-02-26, 08:36   Link #94
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Others, really. I knew full well it was in a later volume.
Old 2013-02-26, 11:49   Link #95
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Others, really. I knew full well it was in a later volume.
Of course YOU knew, or else you wouldn't have posted it!

The distinction I made was between ME, the one the post was replying to, or anyone who might happen to read it.

I'd already told you in the QA thread that I don't want those kind of spoilers, so why did you include that in a post to me?
Old 2013-02-26, 19:32   Link #96
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

My bad, really sorry. Though clearly it's too late...
Old 2013-03-01, 16:06   Link #97
iiKirito
Sword Art Online

I want to know more about her Past
Old 2013-03-27, 10:43   Link #98
Krono

You know, reading back over the earlier discussions, it's surprising how many people seem to have missed the full implications of unlimited burst for Kuroyuki. Most people that mentioned the issue seemed to think she was just a few years older than her chronological age, 20s was the most I recall seeing mentioned here.

For the Unlimited Neutral Field, aka, the real Accel World, 8000 years have passed since it's creation. If you spent just 4 hours real world time in the AW every day (not an unusual amount of time per day to spend on recreational activities like games, tv, reading, etc), after a year you would have spent about 166 years in the Accel World.

Kuroyuki started the game 7 years ago real world time. It would have been pretty easy for her (or the other kings and veteran players for that matter) to have spent a few centuries in the Accel World. That's a lot of time to affect a personality. Even if she hasn't spent centuries there, to live up to her claim of "more time than anyone in this country" spent there, she almost certainly would have had to spend a few decades there.
Old 2013-03-27, 11:22   Link #99
Sunder the Gold

I doubt anyone's missed it. I just didnt see a need to bring it up, and eveyone else was more interested in her real name and the possible Kirito connection.
Old 2013-04-01, 21:30   Link #100
Sunder the Gold

Light Novel Volume 1, Chapter 7 / Manga Volume 1, Chapter 6, Page 12:

Nurse: “You should also…return home and rest. It seems that someone from her family will be coming tomorrow.”

Keeping in mind that this is well after the family lawyer showed up, I wonder who visited her?

It might have been her parents, still ashamed of her apparent mental breakdown two years ago but still concerned for her...

Spoiler for Black and White:
Closed Thread

Tags
characters