Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-02-09, 14:05   Link #1
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

New Movie "Ultraviolet" - anime basis?

Caught a trailer for a rather pretty movie in the Aeon Flux type of genre coming out in March. Ultraviolet (from SONY pictures).... very pretty live action but very anime-ish in style.

I did some googling but found no references to a manga or anime called that outside of a vampire property with no relation. Anyone know much about it?

((this felt like it belonged in general anime ... but I'm fine if the mods think otherwise))
Trailer located here: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/ultraviolet/

*she's definitely pretty* not sure about her acting but her swordwork looks strong and authentic --- if I were filming a live action Love Hina with a white cast ... she'd score a grown up Motoko's role I do believe.
Old 2006-02-09, 14:25   Link #2
Aidan
Am I bad? Yes... Very X(

Weird... haven't I seen a Japanese version of this with a male in the lead?
It looks vaguely familiar.

I don't know about the movie... I'm not usually drawn to these kinds of movies... I start comparing it to equilibrium in the back of my head and the experience start going to hell. I think I'll rent this one when it's out.

"She" stared in Resident Evil, yeah it is Milla Jovovich alright.
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 14:42   Link #3
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

LOL looks like it'll be a 2hr L'Oreal commercial...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 14:48   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

ahhh, thought it was Milla but wasn't sure (wasn't able to find any acting credits in the short time I looked).... heh... L'oreal ... like I said, it looked "pretty".
And you know its all about style when fighting
Old 2006-02-09, 15:16   Link #5
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Actually, I'm sure it'll be fun for a few hours and, oh my, Milla does look very tasty in some of those outfits...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 17:30   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Caught a trailer for a rather pretty movie in the Aeon Flux type of genre coming out in March. Ultraviolet (from SONY pictures).... very pretty live action but very anime-ish in style.

I did some googling but found no references to a manga or anime called that outside of a vampire property with no relation. Anyone know much about it?

((this felt like it belonged in general anime ... but I'm fine if the mods think otherwise))
Sorry, but this isn't based on anime any more than Fifth Element was. (Another of Milla Jovovich's movies, coincidentally enough.) Consequently, I'm moving it to General Chat.

Like Fifth Element, it does have a definite anime style. I've always thought that Fifth Element would have made a better anime than a live action movie. I wonder if I'll feel the same way after watching Ultraviolet.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 20:04   Link #7
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I'll go see it opening day because the Equilibrium guy did it, and Equilibrium is one of my favourite movies.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 22:47   Link #8
reflection
gyabo!~

Send a message via MSN to reflection
This is vaguely like Casshern, but more like Equilibrium and Casshern put together but with the replacement of a male lead with a female. For obvious reasons of course, since it will be better suited for western society where they like to watch chic kick some ass.

Last edited by reflection; 2006-02-09 at 23:24.
reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 23:26   Link #9
Lady Yanami
There's always a catch...

Send a message via AIM to Lady Yanami Send a message via MSN to Lady Yanami

I think it'll be a cool movie. I'm a Milla Jovovich fan. I loved her in Res Ev and
The Fifth Element.
I don't care if it's based on anything or not, the movie itself seems interesting.
Lady Yanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 22:05   Link #10
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

Send a message via MSN to GATX207_Blitz
I don't know, but would it be ok to start a weekly movie preview thread or something and merge all the older ones to or start this as the starter cause I can remember several other threads like memoirs of a geisha, bloodrayne, silent hill etc some of which I participated in.

I have seen this preview a while ago, but I didn't want to start a new thread because there were so many movie threads "imo as stated above". anyways I pesonally found the preview similar to aeon flux and although there are probably plenty of differences it looks interesting enough that I would want to check it out. Overall though I'd say its more of a fun action movie then anything, I'll be sure to post my thoughts about or at least try to when I've actually seen it.
GATX207_Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote