AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-07-27, 23:37   Link #1
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Sasuke (Ninja Warrior)

Did an advanced search for this and didn't see anything yet.

Sasuke (renamed as Ninja Warrior for localization) is a 4 course challenge that contains obstacles requiring precision, balance and strength to pass. Each course gets more difficult and a majority of the courses must be completed within a very strict time limit. Each year, around 100 competitors from various countries compete in this insane challenge.

This video shows 31 year old Urushihara Yuuji's entire run on all the courses. He's one of the very few to actually complete all the courses, which had to be modified constantly over the years due to near-impossible obstacles that nobody could pass.

I believe G4 broadcasts this live every year, but since I don't get that channel, I just like watching the runs on YouTube. It's an excellent show of strength, will and determination. Any thoughts you might have?
Old 2011-07-28, 05:32   Link #2
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
It's certainly awesome to see that people can actually pull that kinda stuff off. It's Ezio Auditore in real life How can you not wish you could do that? I hear there are theme parks that have those kinda things as well, wonder if there are any in my area. I would like to watch the show more often too. They have very interesting programs and competitions of this kind.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 05:49   Link #3
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

It's not a overly popular, well-known competition, but the annual training the competitors go through is more than real. Urushihara Yuuji apparently failed the year before the video's run, and trained every day to reach that point in the following year. Kind of amazing how he's a 31 year old shoe salesman in real life.

I haven't actually heard of theme parks having that before- the closest thing I've seen are children's climbing walls and the such.

By the way, this competition has been going on for quite a while, so if you search it up on YouTube, you're bound to find several videos containing runs, training, interviews, etc.
Old 2011-07-28, 07:28   Link #4
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
which had to be modified constantly over the years due to near-impossible obstacles that nobody could pass.
It's to make things harder not easier.

Why do you think they introduced the ultimate cliffhanger on the third stage after Yuuji Urushihara claimed total victory (which is a obstacle nobody has yet to pass).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 09:37   Link #5
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I love this show. I watched it every chance I could get back when I actually had a TV. And yes, I do wish I could do those amazing feats of strength and agility.
Old 2011-07-28, 14:00   Link #6
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
It's to make things harder not easier.

Why do you think they introduced the ultimate cliffhanger on the third stage after Yuuji Urushihara claimed total victory (which is a obstacle nobody has yet to pass).
I should modify my statement and say that it is altered according to results. The ultimate cliffhanger was introduced after Urushuhara's total victory, but after everyone constantly failed at the original design, it was simplified to allow easier passage.
Old 2011-07-28, 14:25   Link #7
Crimson Reaper

Yeah I catch this show -and it's female counterpart- on TV every now and again and enjoy it very much. Can't say I've seen every last episode but even so I was amazed how often the course changed. I love how anyone can enter and the wipeouts never get old but at the same time I like the creativity of the obstacles. I think some of the competitors take it a little too seriously but I guess that's determination for you. Even pro athletes find it near impossible!
Crimson Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 16:28   Link #8
Kyuu
=^^=

And seriously, these courses give me the chills and the willies.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 16:49   Link #9
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Should mention that the salmon ladder shown in the video above is also an altered version. The original would have the competitor swing up to the top, jump a gap with the bar in hand and latch on to a new set of hooks, rotate around, and ascend again.

There's also a ridiculous obstacle known as "Domino Bridge", which consists of 40 dominoes that slowly increase in height. The competitor has to walk past the entire bridge without falling.
Old 2011-07-28, 17:05   Link #10
JRendell
Manga Addict

Think I've seen it a few times on 'Challenge' over here in the UK. I remember there being one guy who's entered every single Ninja Warrior competition since it began and still hasn't completed it despite being a veteran.

Edit: just watched the vid that papermario posted and it's the guy in the hat and red shirt @ 0:24. Think he owns a Petrol Garage or something....
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 17:11   Link #11
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Ah yes, here's an alternate version of the 3rd stage, which contains the infamous original "Ultimate Cliffhanger". Look at that tiny ledge- that's ridiculous.
Old 2011-07-29, 07:04   Link #12
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Should mention that the salmon ladder shown in the video above is also an altered version. The original would have the competitor swing up to the top, jump a gap with the bar in hand and latch on to a new set of hooks, rotate around, and ascend again.
Actually what your talking about is around the third version since the original version of the salmon ladder there was no gap and the obstacle after that was the stick slider which started at the top of the salmon ladder and required the stick that was used for the salmon ladder.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 12:21   Link #13
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Whenever i'm watching T.V. I always watch this. It's frequently broadcast on G4, I only watch it for a couple of minutes since most of it is reruns too fill up time for like the only two original shows run on G4 'X-Play' 'Attack Of The Show' It feels like G4 has degraded from back then and shows like 4 shows... Cops,Ninja warrior, Attack Of The Show, and X-Play. The rest of the programs run once in a blue moon... Anyways back to Ninja Warrior.

The third American Ninja Challenge takes place in Venice Beach, California and will air sometime this week on G4 with the challengers competing for a chance to win a $500,000 endorsement deal with K-Swiss. Plus a trip to Japan to take on Midoriyama.

The last two batches of American Ninja warrior Challengers were no joke! Out of the 5 men from each season, they made it too the third stage. I believe they are bring back the men who won the try-outs, and preliminary too take on Midoriyama.

A last year video of Makoto Nagano at the American Ninja Warrior tryouts, I believe the scale of this course was designed for taller people

Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 21:37   Link #14
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Ninja Warrior is awesome but of 28,000 people who tried this only 3 have defeated all 3 stages. But the one thing I dont get is if you beat this what do you get for a prize beside the glory of doing it
Old 2011-07-31, 04:40   Link #15
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

There's actually 4 stages per competition. I'm sure there's some kind of trophy or something, but the knowledge of completing something that so many (including world famous athletes) have failed seems good enough to me.
Old 2011-08-05, 14:50   Link #16
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Ninja Warrior is awesome but of 28,000 people who tried this only 3 have defeated all 3 stages. But the one thing I dont get is if you beat this what do you get for a prize beside the glory of doing it
You get A LOT of Money if you beat the whole thing. That enough motivation for you? They change it up to make it harder and harder for people to complete the course cause if it was that easy to complete it they'd go bankrupt really quick.

Personally I prefer the female version of this show, it's more fun to see girls fall.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-05, 15:13   Link #17
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Ninja Warrior is awesome but of 28,000 people who tried this only 3 have defeated all 3 stages.
2,600*. Each of the 26 aired events had 100 competitors.

Quote:
But the one thing I dont get is if you beat this what do you get for a prize beside the glory of doing it
What more do you need? I didn't even know there WAS a cash prize until I read Dingo's comment. I just figured the fact that you beat an "impossible" course was reward enough. After all, that's why all the competitors cheer each other on, and that's why Nagano looks like he's been shot every time some big name gets knocked out of the competition.
Old 2011-08-05, 21:36   Link #18
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post

Personally I prefer the female version of this show, it's more fun to see girls fall.
I to like the Kunoichi version it is funny and hot to see girl get all wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
What more do you need? I didn't even know there WAS a cash prize until I read Dingo's comment. I just figured the fact that you beat an "impossible" course was reward enough. After all, that's why all the competitors cheer each other on, and that's why Nagano looks like he's been shot every time some big name gets knocked out of the competition.
Well I just wounder if there was a cash prize and how big it is to see the same people each year trying to beat it
Old 2011-08-07, 00:28   Link #19
HasuMasu
*Artist

I wouldn't be able to do jack shit in this.

Tags
challenge, ninja, obstacle