AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2006-11-29, 08:35   Link #221
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Don get it.. what do you need/want to know?? O_O
Old 2006-11-29, 08:42   Link #222
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

A link to a good tutorial for vectoring ... in Inkscape o_O
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-03, 12:34   Link #223
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You not get it O.O tutorials for what purpose?..

Anyhow.. have you tried serching for vectoring tutorials in general.. or tutorials for Illustrator.. even if tools may differ basic concept and technique should be the same ^^

------
Arghh~
No tutorials on this page.. got-a fix that ^_^ hehe
Old 2006-12-04, 17:42   Link #224
Zakura_Angel64
Trapped in a dream

er I guess this is out of the blues but does anyone know where I can get a "winter or kanon" like text? K thanks
Zakura_Angel64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 21:33   Link #225
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakura_Angel64 View Post
er I guess this is out of the blues but does anyone know where I can get a "winter or kanon" like text? K thanks
If you are looking for the Kanon font, do a Google search for the Arenski font
Old 2006-12-05, 16:52   Link #226
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Zakura Angel64

You could also just add some snow to any other font. ^^
Just create a new layer and give it inner shadow, make it somewhat soft and then with a soft brush paint snow aver the text like it would look if it fell from the sky.

------------------------------

Some Basic Tips & Tricks

I won't go too deep, I'll only mention some basic stuff that generally is missed by newbies.

Tip 1 - Your layout is organised in pallets and all your visible pallets are placed in a window. You have 5 options.
  1. You can link a pallet to another pallet by draging it just under the other pallet but not outside of it's container window. (you should see some sort of visual hint that the position you are placing them at is going to result in a link). When pallets are linked if you substract space for one it increases space for the other etcetera.
  2. You can Group a Pallet by draging it in the window of another pallet or a group.
  3. You can ungroup a pallet by dragging it out of the window of the group.
  4. You can Close a pallet by draging it out of it's group and closing that window.
  5. You can Minimize-Up a pallet by duable clicking it.

Spoiler for Example Layout:

//Note - Please use the default layout for the tutorials here ^^

Tip 2 - To work more freely go into full-screen mode.. and get used to working like that..
Usefull things to know..
  1. The F toggles full-screen-mode..
  2. When you hold down the Space-Bar the Hand Tool is temporarly selected.. so if your not confortable with the position of the Canvas (or Stage or Work Are.. call it what you like) then while your working just hold space a little and move it..
  3. The Tab key toggles pallets.. so if your pallets are cluttering the screen.. and you don't need them hit Tab.. you can call them back by tapping Tab again.
  4. The Caps Lock key toggles the cursor.. some tools have images for cursors.. hit caps lock to toggle a more appropiate one..
  5. Pessing the Windows-Key + D will minimize all windows (in a sense).. it technicly forces focus on the desktop regardless of what window program you are in.. hit it again to toggle back to your previous state..

Tip 3 - Removing a Character From a pic

Basic Rule: If it takes more then 90 seconds to remove a charcter from a pic (regardless of the complexity of the background or color diffrences) then you are doing it fukin' wrong!!!

Fastest method to remove a charcter is to use the Magic Wand.
Some things that nubies miss:[list=1]A very very important setting for the wand tool is Tolarence, many will just start using the wand too find that it at some point selects too much or too little and then abandon it and go for a more complicated time consumining method. So set low tolerence if you start selecting too much, set high tolarence if your selecting too little.

Also remember to add a 1px to 2px (max) feather to your selection. By doing this you are adding nice little transparency to black gradient, allowing the image to blend perfectly within it's new space, and you are also fixing any posible lighting-generated-error along the way. (for example contrast between super-thik/thin lines etcetera)

Tip 4 - Stamping..

The basic tool for stamping is probably the Clone-Stamp-Tool. But please don't use this if your facing a lighting problem.

So what to use.. the answer is the Healing Brush Tool, don't think of the name, this tool is basicly an Adv. Clone-Stamo tool. It essentially will copy texture and not pixels.. and will also blend them on the spot. Remember that if you come close to edges it will blur them. You can fix them with the Patch-Tool (also the best choise for mass pixel Clone-Stamping..)

Tip 5 - The Diffrence Between Fill and Transparency

Well some people actually don't know..
The diffrence is that Fill affect only the object, so if you have a red circle with a shadow (as a special effect), then if you lower the transparency the circle and shadow start becoming transparency, but if you lower the fill then only the red circle will become more transparent..

Tip 6 - Chanells..

A simple thing that sounds complicated.. I'll just explain it from a down to earth POV
A channel is a very simple thing.. it's basicly a blue-print for intensity (that looks like a Black and White image).. If you open you channel pallet you should see 4 chanells.. they each are a image in blackand white where black means more of that color and white means less. An alpha channel is just a lil diffrent. it's a channel for visibility where black is opac and white invisible.

When you make selections you are making Channels ;)
Same of a layer mask, it's just a alpha chanel..

Now channels are all tech and scifi for the computer but you should just think of them as a black and white image..
So for example lets say you want you pic to go to completly transparent on one side.. simple.. first you create a new alpha channel (so just click the mask tool), now make sure you alpha channel is selected and not your image, it's a lil tricky since it may be hard to imagine it's there.. click on the thumb-nail next to the layer-thumb-nail just to make sure.. now reset your colors to black and white.. and select the gradient tool (it's under the bucket tool). Now, from the edge draw a liniar white to black liniar gradiant.. all done.. ^^

Tip 7 - Warping..

Some people don't notice this option..
Go into Free Transoft Mode using Ctrl+T (or via Edit), now in your tool settings on the right next ot the pallet well you should see a little button called 'Switch between free transofrm and warp mode' click it.. now you may twist or reshape your image as you please, note that you can also modify the vector points as well as add new ones..

Tip 8 - Vanishing Points..

A very powerfull and simple tool.. (oh it's located in the fillter menu btw :P no idea why)

The Vanishing Point tool is basicly a stamping brushing tool.. now you might be wondering what's so special about it.. ^^
Well lets say you have piece of road.. and you want to use the clone stamp to meke it look like it's really long and heading to the horizon... the basic problem you would face is perspective..
What vanishing point allows you to do is set a grid representing basicly the view plane field.. so for our road we first would take the Create Plane tool and draw a square on the ground.. now remember your not drawing a square.. on your monitor it should be a square, more like a trapeaze, but if your were looking at a picture then that would look to you like 'a square on the ground' ^__^.
Now when you clone stamp (for example) the roud will get tighter as it heads to the horizon..

Tip 9 - The Anchor..

First.. how to turn an image.. if you move to the cursor next to a corner of an image you'll notice that it turns to a rounded arrow.. hold and move the mouse.. that's how you turn an image..

When you use the crop tool, for example, you'll notice that there's a little circle in the middle.. now what does that do..
That circle is called the anchor and it marks the center of the image.. for example lets suppose you move that little point to the left corner.. then when you try to turn the image you will notice that it the image turns around the corner..
That's what the anchor does it marks the center..

Tip 10 - Basic Shorcuts..

Some of the most important shorcuts in Photoshop are the Alt, Ctrl and Shift keys.. with these keys you can do lots of neet things..
For exmple if you hold down the Alt key and drag a layer down or up it will create a duplicate of that layer.. or if you hold down the shift key while draging a image into your canvas it will center it.. etcetera..

Other shorcuts you should know:
  • D (reset colors to black and white)
  • X (reverse background/foreground colors)
  • v (select tool)
  • p (pen) [ Alt >> free-move-plce-point; Ctrl>>Move-Anchor; Ctrl+Alt>>Adv. Anchor-Tweeking-Editing; Ctrl+Shift>>Wave-Editing; Shift>>Axis-Snap ]
  • Ctrl+W (close project)
  • z (zoom) [ Alt>>Zoom-Out ] select are to zoom it..
  • c (crop) [ Shift>>Square-Shape; Alt>>Anchor-Lock ]
    Trick - In full screen-mode.. select everything for crop.. you'll notice is snaps to the edges.. but now if you go to edit the vector points you'll notice you can moce them outside the image.. when you crop on an area greater then the image you are not cutting out of the image but adding to the canvas
  • [b]G[b] or Shift+G bucket/gradient tool.. basicly if you hold shift and press the shorcut for a key you select the one underneath it.. note that if it's not the selected tool Shift +Key will only select it..
  • T (type tool)
    Note: Some people don't notice, but there are 2 types of type.. the first is charchter type (for quotes names in sigs this is what you always should use), you use this by selecting the type tool and only clicking once on a point on the screen (the type won't be limited by any limits not even the canvas), then threse paragraph type, use this if you are going to write tons and tons of type (read: pages) you use this by draging a box on the screen.. (the type will be limited by that box..)
    Charchter-Type Trick - Create a vector shape.. now if you select the type tool and hover over a line of that shape you'll notice a little line appears on the cursor.. click and now the type is locked on that shape.. basically now the type follows the contur of the shape
  • E (Eraser) [Ctrl+Alt>>Quick-Duplicate.. just in case you want to go back but you might be better off doing a Undo-Snapshot (photo icon in the history pallet , it saves the current state, in case you over-do things)]
  • I (Sample tool) [ Alt>>Foreground-Sample; Alt+Shift>>Color-Sampler ]
    Sampler Trick/Bug - Hold down somewhere in your canvas.. now while holding drag anywhere.. you now can sample photoshop.. or if you made the photoshop window smaller you can sample windows etcetera..
  • B (brush tool/pencil-tool) [ Alt>>Sample; Alt+Shift>>Sampler Point; Ctrl+Alt+Shift>>Quick-Copy ] just in case your wondering what the History-Brush does.. if you look in history you'll notice there's a little brush icon there (by default it's on the Default-Start-Shot..) if you move it to one of the history states when you brush with the tool it will sample that state as a layer (shot, whatever)... for example if you messed with the colors in the image with the History brush you can paint the original colors by selecting a State-Layer before that.. (btw did you know history eats your tons of system resources you do now..)

*getting lazzy tired..*
Ok I'll write some more next time
Old 2006-12-05, 18:30   Link #227
Zakura_Angel64
Trapped in a dream

Is all of that...for photoshop? Because I use gimp and I'm not the "pro" editor of pictures lol and thanks for the arenski font.
Zakura_Angel64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-05, 19:41   Link #228
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Uhh.. some should be in Gimp.. it should be easier to find in GimpShop..
Ok 8 is defenetly PS only..

Gomen~ not sure what's gimp friendly.. o_O
Old 2006-12-12, 15:34   Link #229
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
I got a lot of smiles from people about my most recent signature. I personally love it more than some of my previous ones. Since we're more or less unanimous that this is truely amazing, I'll disclose the creation method (simply because I want to lol). Go ahead and mash and bash it as much as you like, of course. Everything could use a touch up - mild or serious - and mine's no exception.

Thanks, Kira_Naruto for pointing me to this wonderful thread. = O And thanks to jellybean and Lost for taking unnecessary steps to say "love love". lol

----------------------------------------------------------

e_Utaware Sig 05.psd Creation Process
Drawing Program: Photoshop 7.0
Creation Time: A little more than 2 hours
Skill Level: Intermediate (You should have some basics skills such as drawing lines and creating layers)
(for the first 3 images below, click on them for a larger version)

I took this wallpaper (one of the 134 Utawarerumono wallpapers I have):

Cropped it:

It was looking a tad dull, so I went to Image > Adjustments > Levels... Those who don't know what this is, this is where you can get the whites to look white and the blacks to look black. All my photoshoping goes through this as step 1. I adjusted the left and right sliders so that the background around their faces had a white RGB (255, 255, 255).

Nice, clean image. Now it's time to create the frame. Go to File > New and enter a width of 500 pixels and height of 120 pixels (the limit for AnimeSuki forums when you want text above or below it). Contents should be Transparent. Press "OK" to generate your frame.

Hit CTRL+R to get the ruler function activated. Make sure it's on pixels for precise accuracy. If not, right click on the ruler and select "pixels". Now, select the Move Tool (important! Must be the Move Tool) and click and hold on one of the rulers to generate a line. This is a reference line when you want to make specific boundries (or points via multiple lines) for future drawing. Drag the line to the center of the frame. Then do the same on the other corner so it should look like a cross intesecting at the center (zoom in if you have to).

With the layer provided, I drew two black lines 5 pixels in weight at the top and bottom of the frame. I call this my signature border since nobody else does it. Plus, I like the movie-esque feel.

Go to View > Snap. Create a new layer. Draw another black line from upper left to bottom right while holding the Shift key in this new layer. This will guarantee that the line is on a 45 degree incline. Once done, move the line to the center of the frame. It will snap in place to where you had the ruler lines intersecting.

Create another new layer and move it behind the other two. Fill it with white.

At this point, go ahead and remove the blue ruler lines by dragging them back to the ruler itself (note this can only be done via the Move Tool). After pulling the cropped wallpaper into my signature frame, I aligned Aruruu to best fit the space on the left (make sure this layer is behind the black lines but in front of the white background).

Create a copy of this layer. Make one of them invisible and with the other layer, create a layer mask. I never, EVER mess with the original image. All my character extractions (extracting them from backgrounds of established images) is done on the layer mask. That way I can erase and undo without harming the original image. Those who don't know, while you're on the layer mask, black erases, white restores. Gray tones will lessen the process. Using the brush/pencil tool, I wipe the area right of the diagonal line with black. This way, only Aruruu is present on the left.

Unlock the layer. If you need to adjust Aruruu's positioning in the frame some more, this will let you move her without moving the layer mask. If moving her get a little jerky, it's probably because the Snap feature is moving the image to the side of the frame. You can disable this feature by going to View > Snap again.

Go ahead and make visible the untouched copy of the layer. For Eruruu on the right, the provided image makes her head look way too big compared to Aruruu. I did Edit > Transform > Scale and shrank her down to best fit the proportions. Move her in place. Once that's done, create a layer mask and wipe away everything left of the diagonal black line. Again, unlock the mask and layer apart and move Eruruu again if you think she's not in the proper positioning.

We're not quite done yet. Something didn't look right to me at this stage. It took me a while to figure it out and finally I saw the problem. Only a sliver of Aruruu's hair is shown on Eruruu's side of the signature (it can't be helped). But there's a mass of Eruruu's hair and a bit of her ear on the left of Aruruu! It's slightly confusing, isn't it? So I had to get that out.

Go to Image > Canvas Size and increase the size of the frame temporarily by 50 pixels both ways extending top left.

This is where the artsy part comes in. With your brush tool, slowly wipe away Eruruu's hair off the canvas on the Aruruu layer mask. If you make a mistake, switch to white (by pressing 'X'), restore the mistakes, and re-erase. It's important to erase a little ways past the upper black line too, so make invisible the black lines layer if you gotta.

Click to enlarge.

Shrinking the canvas back to its original size (500x120), it was time to duplicate the shadows that's cast on Eruruu. On the Aruruu layer (not the layer mask), add a drop shadow. Apply these settings:
- RGB 195, 195, 173
- Optimacy 80%
- Angle 50 degrees (Use Global Light)
- Distance 12 pixels
- Spread 9%
- Size 5 pixels

That should properly mimic the shadows on Eruruu. If you didn't erase part of Eruruu's hair past the upper frame, the shadows of the unerased parts will be cast onto the frame and thus your shadows will look all wierd on the left. Add some nice text, and voila. My Christmas sig.

Joy.
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 22:14   Link #230
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

@ BC tips (EDIT: Since CG moved Zaris tutorial .. My reply got separated from BC post)

.. took me a couple of time going over .. but very good tips there .. Altho some, I feel, would translate better if you put screenshots.. for example, tip 10

btw, arrow keys .. nudging;
and if you have other tools selected, pressing and holding CTRL button gives you the select/move tool;
Pressing and holding Shift in marquee tool gives perfect square/circle marching ants ... Also in Transform/Resize mode (Alt + T ), pressing Shift will resize both Height and Width simultaneously ... Pressing Alt + SHIFT in Resize will resize both Height and Width while anchoring the pic at its anchor.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Last edited by KiNA; 2006-12-12 at 22:56. Reason: My reply got separated from BC post .. which I replied too =3
Old 2006-12-15, 06:37   Link #231
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

How to get this:
  • Short Version
    1. Make your sig as you would normally..
    2. Increase the Canvas Size..
    3. Group all the layers..
    4. Add a Layer Mask..
    5. Select the Gradiant Tool.. chouse Liniar Transparent to Black (or vice versa)
    6. Select the Layer Mask and add the transparent gradients you want..
    7. Trim it back to size..

• Long Version
    1. Complete the sig.. borders etcetera should appear..
    2. Increase the Canvas Size.. there are 2 ways to do this..
      1. Using the Crop Tool..
        » Select the Crop Tool ( C )
        » Using the Crop tool Select everything
        » Now drag on the corners to increase the selection (increase the selection on all sides)
        » Click OK (or hit Enter)
      2. Alternative
        » Go to Image > Canvas Size ( Ctrl + Alt + C )
        » Change from Pixels to Percentage
        » Increase Hight and Width to 130 or greater..
      »» Your Canvas should be bigger now

3. Group All Layers.. again 2 ways to do it..
      1. Using Shorcuts..
        » Ctrl + Alt + A
        » Ctrl + G
      2. Using the mouse..
        » Click First Layer
        » Shift + Click last layer
        » Go to Layer > Group Layer
      »» You should see a folder with all the layers in it. (indicated by the fact they are now indented a little)

4. Add a Layer Mask.. just select the Group Folder and add a Layer Mask
      You can do this either via the Add Layer Mask Button (Gray Square with White Circle in the middle) in the Layer Pallet.. or, go Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal All
      »» After doing this nothin' should change visually..

5. Select the Gradient Tool.. and chouse Liniar Transparent to Black..
      The Gradiant Tool is located right bellow the Bucket Tool, you can select it by tapping Shift + G two times.. or by clicking and holding on the Bucket Tool (a menu should pop up) or by Shift+Click on the Bucket Tool or by left clicking on the Bucket Tool (menu should pop-up) etcetera (yes, there are other ways *wink* )

When the Gradient Tool is selected (which looks like a gradient btw) the Tool Settings bar above gets updated.. There should be a gradient indicator.. if it's going from Black to White the click the little arrow next to it to bring up a pop-up windows and select the Black to Transparent gradient from the list....
      On the right of what I refered to above as the gradient indicator, there should be a series of bottons (that look like difrent gradients..) Select the first one (if it's not already the selected one).. it should have the tool tip 'Liniar Gradient'

6. Select the Layer Mask.. and add the transparency..
      Now, when you added the Layer Mask to the Group you noticed that a big white thumbnail appeared on the right of the folder icon.. (just like with a single layer.. where adding a Layer Mask would add a thubnal next to the old one.. resulting in 2 thumbnails for the 2.. )

The thumbanils aren't useless.. they are basically buttons.. (with only one selected at any given time).. The one that is currently selected should have alil black outline around it..

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread a Layer Mask is just like a picture.. and for a Layer Mask.. Black hides and White reveals.. so if we were to cover half of the Layer Mask in black then that would result in half of the image being invisible..

If you find it dificult to draw withouth seing what you draw then you can view the Layer Mask by Alt + Click on the Layer Mask Thumbnail.. or Alt + Shift to overlap the Layer Mask on the fill (in partially transparent red)

To add a gradient click on a starting point and then drag and release on an end point.. the grater the distance the less compact the gradient would be..

7. Trim it.. as in remove all the useless transparent pixels around the edges.. as in go Edit > Trim > OK

<?> Why increase the Canvas?
<!> You could eye-ball it right.. but that's very tricky and it's very easy to get fooled.. the general error that happens is that you make the transparency.. but because your not seing 0 fill as a comparison you don't notice that at the edge your sig isn't totaly transparent.. so when you load it on a page.. a little edge appears, where the fill goes from being a lil' transparent to totally transparent.. very ugly..
Old 2006-12-18, 06:22   Link #232
saphyre

Ahhh this is so confusing lol.
I can't even find the 'Black to Transparent' gradiant on mine ><.
Is it possible to make some screenshots?
It makes things alot less confusing... Especially for a newbie like me.
Old 2006-12-18, 06:40   Link #233
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

^__^ forgive the low quality SS =x

Step 1

Step 2
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2006-12-18, 06:55   Link #234
saphyre

Ah k, thanks
Least I know that I was on the right track.
I'll fiddle around with it abit more.
Old 2006-12-18, 07:31   Link #235
saphyre

Ok, I think I managed to fiddle my way through to the last step - Trimming.
But the problem is is that when I click Trim and click Ok... Nothing happens XD
Old 2006-12-18, 07:36   Link #236
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Means that there are leftovers on transparent side ... go to layer blending->stroke .. and see if there's a leftovers.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2006-12-18, 09:04   Link #237
saphyre

Woo! After hours of trial and error I finally realised how BC made his sig, though I still need much more practice .
Thanks for your help
Old 2006-12-20, 07:37   Link #238
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
A link to a good tutorial for vectoring ... in Inkscape o_O
I'm quoting my own post O_O

Found it ^___^
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2006-12-20, 12:42   Link #239
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
~snip~
wow zaris really nice tutorial ~ managed to pick up some tips replicating this ^_^

ofc i was lazy to wipe off the hair on aruruu's side

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 20:19   Link #240
SweetHoney
~Nanchatte Renai
*Scanlator

I dunno if this has been done yet. But this is for better quality images that have pixels that can be very noticeable.

Lets take this picture of Nerine for Shuffle!

See it is a bit blurry? And Don't mind the small size of it

Ok now I use the magic wand since this is just plain white background. I extracted the bg and this is what it looks like now

Ok now I duplicate the layer. Now I go to Filter-Noise-Median 5px

Now click Layer Style-Blending Options-Soft Light

You should then get this

See? it is alot better quality.

Now if there is still some nosey pixels, select the bottom layer and go Blur-Smart Blur- Any Radius and Threshold you want You just keep choosing what the Radius is, the Threshold then you want it high or low quality.

When you finish that go to Layers-Merge Visible

Also another tip I save my extracted backgrounds in PNG. format

Now for the final result

Mind You it is a bit messy

Tags
avatar, graphic, photoshop, signature