wuhugm
Confused Shark

Unhappy Jujutsu Kaisen <Sorcery Fight>

Original Title : 呪術廻戦
Author : Akutami Gege

Info : Mangaupdates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU
Yuuji is a genius at track and field. But he has zero interest running around in circles, he's happy as a clam in the Occult Research Club. Although he's only in the club for kicks, things get serious when a real spirit shows up at school! Life's about to get really strange in Sugisawa Town #3 High School!
Naruto Iteration #832
I wish they'd stop with the 3 man team
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-22, 10:04   Link #2
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Ishigami wanna kill Shirogane coz rejecting Kaguya
Old 2018-09-22, 11:29   Link #3
zztop

Jujutsu's one of the new hot titles of Weekly Shounen Jump - started out slow, but quickly gained popularity with WSJ's readers.

Creator Akutami Gege is a first-time female mangaka, btw. Still quite young too, only 27 years old.
https://myanimelist.net/people/47924/Akutami_Gege

It may be a Naruto itineration, but this is WSJ editors who care more about weekly reader popularity. However fresh and creative the story is; fail to get high weekly votes and you're out. And there have been a lot of axed ones recently - Noah's Notes, Bozebeats, Hungry Marie, etc.

Last edited by zztop; 2018-09-22 at 11:42.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-22, 11:39   Link #4
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^I thought this would turn out like other shounen crap

But apparently not

Many dead bodies here
Old 2018-09-22, 11:43   Link #5
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^I thought this would turn out like other shounen crap

But apparently not

Many dead bodies here
I hear that is one reason why it got so popular.
Old 2018-09-22, 12:56   Link #6
James Rye

Yeah and it does not do it nicely either. Like that entire cafe with its people burned to a crisp. Really liked how the mangaka used a no-name character with a bit added background to it to show the difference of people who can feel this whole magical business even if they can't see it and the rest who lives obviously to it, till they are killed by it that is. Also like how the friends of the MC think he is dead but in truth gets taught by Not-Kakashi how to become an awesome shaman to topple the big guys at top of their organization. I like how with "Territory" it is explained how most monsters can stay hidden in today's society or how we see those deformed students in a cinema and the police tries to make sense of that.
Best character so far is Nanami for me. Dude is just walking badass, real loveable with his lines like how being a child is no crime or how he left that battle against Scar-face. Even Not-Kakashi is as cool as Nanami in my book. Hope he lives a long and mostly uninjured life in this series. <3
Old 2018-09-22, 21:20   Link #7
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^I thought Nanami was a mob

Poor that mother in last chapter
Old 2018-09-22, 22:36   Link #8
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Naruto clones are a given nowadays considering the explosive popularity the big 3 had in the west. Pretty sure most teenagers-young adults in my country would at least know about one of the big 3. I'd say my personal fave Naruto clone is Black Torch. Now if only the releases between chapters didn't take so fricking long...

I've been reading Jujutsu Kaisen for awhile now, since around the time the 15th chapter came out to be specific. It's alright, but nothing to write home about. Interesting to know that the author's a woman. I honestly wouldn't expect this type of story from a female mangaka. The only one I knew about was Ao no Exorcist's author.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
And there have been a lot of axed ones recently - Noah's Notes, Bozebeats, Hungry Marie, etc.
Not surprised since all of those were trash tbh. Noah's Notes had potential, but piss poor pacing and crappy developments really hurt it.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-23, 00:42   Link #9
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Black Torch too shounen-y and I don't like the MC

Other characters are cliche too, especially glasses Sasuke
Old 2018-09-23, 04:05   Link #10
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK-95- View Post
Naruto clones are a given nowadays considering the explosive popularity the big 3 had in the west. Pretty sure most teenagers-young adults in my country would at least know about one of the big 3. I'd say my personal fave Naruto clone is Black Torch. Now if only the releases between chapters didn't take so fricking long...

I've been reading Jujutsu Kaisen for awhile now, since around the time the 15th chapter came out to be specific. It's alright, but nothing to write home about. Interesting to know that the author's a woman. I honestly wouldn't expect this type of story from a female mangaka. The only one I knew about was Ao no Exorcist's author.
Black Torch already ended in Japan at 5 volumes. I heard it got cancelled.

Gotouge Koyoharu's another popular female mangaka in WSJ too. She created Kimetsu no Yaiba.
Old 2018-09-23, 12:44   Link #11
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Black Torch already ended in Japan at 5 volumes. I heard it got cancelled.

Gotouge Koyoharu's another popular female mangaka in WSJ too. She created Kimetsu no Yaiba.
So Black Torch got canned... Ah, I actually liked that one. Sigh

Oh, that's another surprise for me. lol Maybe I should start looking into the authors now so that I wouldn't be surprised this often. I really dig Kimetsu no Yaiba, tho if I had to say that I have one gripe with it, that would be that the pacing of developments/arcs is a little too fast.

@Hentaiga: I liked it because of how shonen-y it was. These days, I be seeing a lot of shonen-seinen hybrids or dark fantasies. It's good to read a straight up shonen sometimes.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.

Last edited by MK-95-; 2018-09-23 at 12:54.
Old 2018-09-23, 13:06   Link #12
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^I dunno man, the power of Rago is basically shapeshifting weaponry, so the MC should be someone who is more intellectual (like that glasses) and not that standard shonen MC
Seems to me it's carrying fatal flaw from the start

Compared to Jujutsu Kaisen
Here MC's "another personality" Sukuna fulfills the role of intellectual shaman while MC himself fulfills the standard shounen MC (but with great growth)
Old 2018-09-23, 13:41   Link #13
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

^The thing with standard shonen MCs is that a few compromises can be made to compensate for their rash behaviour/idiocy.

1. They can be a natural genius at fighting despite being a hopeless idiot 3/4 of the time. (This is the usual route that a standard shonen MC follows)

2. They can naturally/organically grow and further their abilities by receiving training from a sensei/senpai/rival/other character.

3. They receive outside assistance while fighting via communication device or bystanders giving them little hints/pointers as to what the enemy's habits or weaknesses are.

Black Torch's MC is a mix of 1 and 3. He showed adaptability when fighting and he would get advice/assistance from Rago or his teammates on how to effectively use his powers. It's a shame we won't get to see what he's capable of without Rago tho.

Conversely, Yuuji from Jujutsu Kaisen would be a mix of 1 and 2. Not so much a genius, but he has a general idea of how to combat impurities and he's currently receiving training from Not-Kakashi in the most unconventional way possible. lol
Old 2018-09-24, 23:49   Link #14
SILENTANIMELOVER

Just to be sure, is Black Torch really cancelled? Can you confirm this? I've been on the fence about buying the volumes. I need answers.
SILENTANIMELOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-01, 01:30   Link #15
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Just read chapters 26 and 27. It's really hard to imagine that this is a series serialized in WSJ. You'd more expect to see these types of themes/developments from a series published in Young Jump or Bessatsu.

For a moment there, I actually held out a bit of hope that he'd save Junpei, but it is what it is. The fact that so many people have been offed already and in such brutal ways to top it off, I should've known better. Well, let's just chalk it up to WSJ changing to keep up with the times.

Also, just for the heck of it, looks like Yuuji's gonna have to tame Sukuna at some point if he wants to gain control of and effectively use his powers. (I wonder where I've seen a development like that before? lol)
Old 2018-10-01, 15:35   Link #16
James Rye

Yeah, got a Seinen feel to it. Usually those "evil" guys tend up to be shown as "bad guys" just to then get later a sappy story about why they turned evil or get redeemed by MC or by dying for the good cause or by some other stuff like a more evil guy who was the true evil behind the evil making the first bad guy bad to begin with. No such stuff here. True to honest inhumane Curses who give no crap about humans and show it in a way that even our kind-hearted MC eats his own "I won't kill" words and goes on a killing spree! I really loved the "if" cover, then the dude dying by getting shaped violently into a monster and ofc the laughter by the two curses at our MC's desperate plea to heal his friend. That was great!
Old 2018-10-02, 02:03   Link #17
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Too dark bro
I bet when they add romance later it will be just to off the girl
Old 2018-10-02, 04:58   Link #18
James Rye

Or to turn her into an evil curse herself. To be killed by our MC.
Old 2018-10-02, 21:28   Link #19
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Chap 28

Fun chapter, it was kinda satisfying seeing the MC land a few good hits on Mahito. Tho that was in vain seeing as Mahito was basically playing with him throughout the entire exchange.

Nanami swooped in all Kakashi-like with the save too. lol

One last thing, this has been bothering me for awhile now, but I held off on mentioning it... I really hate the way the author draws hands and feet. Those fingers and toes really makes my blood crawl sometimes.
Old 2018-10-02, 22:36   Link #20
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^lol~

I really like Mahito's shapeshifting ability btw

Tags
action, exorcism, possessed mc