AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-10-12, 01:48   Link #18021
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Or we won't. Honestly, I'm warning you, this is the ultimate prelude to a cop-out finale that will leave people "talking" about something he never intends to confirm. It's the perfect opportunity, and much as I see it coming I sure as hell don't like it.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 01:55   Link #18022
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Sure, the character is going to be Battler.

But which Battler?

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 01:56   Link #18023
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I'm curious why he even bothers to say "a character," given that there's about a 90% chance of it being Battler.

But really, this is causing me to lose a lot of respect for him if it is as the suggestion sounds (though of course it may not be). I was interested in his answer to his own story, not mine. If I wanted to give him my answer, I'd write one.

The only way he could redeem himself with this is if you're making the choices as the murderer. Because, let's face it, it would be kind of awesome if we had to use what we think we know about the killer's plans and methods to execute the crimes.

But at this point I think he just wants to screw with us and run off laughing. Christ.
Interesting!

Truly interesting!

Ill take that challenge, and without fail pin down his one truth. Man, Im suddenly burning up with anticipation!
TehChron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 01:57   Link #18024
Used Can

Quote:
Honestly, I'm warning you, this is the ultimate prelude to a cop-out finale that will leave people "talking" about something he never intends to confirm.
To be honest, at first, I thought the same as you. If you check, my first reaction wasn't favourable at all, but I think the idea regarding this choices is as I said (maybe - I can try confirming that, rather easily). In addition, if R07 really wanted to leave things up to the readers, he could always have left the possibilitiy of kakeras there, yet, he purposely eliminated it.

Of course, there's always the chance he's chickening out, but I honestly don't think so.
Old 2010-10-12, 02:00   Link #18025
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

I hope we get the perspective from Dr. Nanjo... I always wanted to preform autopsies from an underdeveloped, elderly, obese man in VN form...

Oh well it's probably Battora...
Old 2010-10-12, 02:01   Link #18026
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
To be honest, at first, I thought the same as you. If you check, my first reaction wasn't favourable at all, but I think the idea regarding this choices is as I said (maybe - I can try confirming that, rather easily). In addition, if R07 really wanted to leave things up to the readers, he could always have left the possibilitiy of kakeras there, yet, he purposely eliminated it.

Of course, there's always the chance he's chickening out, but I honestly don't think so.
Ryukishi07 is a lot of things as a writer (most of which being some variation of the term "troll"), but a coward he most certainly is not.

Man, being challenged by one of the world's greatest trolls to break through his story sounds like a game worthy of being the climax of this story. Im seriously looking forward to it.

Really. If his desire is to hurl illusion and misdirection at us at the very end before reaching "the truth"...

Oh man. Let's say that it is a choice node format.

What if the win condition is to correctly replicate the events of Rokkenjimma Prime, and from there unlock the one "truth", thus revealing the true ending?

That'd be awesome. Man. Im burning up even more. December cant come soon enough.

Hey, Will, race ya.

You may not have guessed this by now, but I am ridiculously excited about this.
Old 2010-10-12, 02:02   Link #18027
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I want to hear more about this from a second interview or other new source, but my gut is still unfavorable and that's not likely to change until he clarifies.

Old 2010-10-12, 02:04   Link #18028
Will Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehChron View Post
Ryukishi07 is a lot of things as a writer (most of which being some variation of the term "troll"), but a coward he most certainly is not.

Man, being challenged by one of the world's greatest trolls to break through his story sounds like a game worthy of being the climax of this story. Im seriously looking forward to it.

Really. If his desire is to hurl illusion and misdirection at us at the very end before reaching "the truth"...

Oh man. Let's say that it is a choice node format.

What if the win condition is to correctly replicate the events of Rokkenjimma Prime, and from there unlock the one "truth", thus revealing the true ending?

That'd be awesome. Man. Im burning up even more. December cant come soon enough.

Hey, Will, race ya.

You may not have guessed this by now, but I am ridiculously excited about this.
I guessed and I'm as excited as you are. This seems like the cheap shot to end all cheap shots. It will be like playing russian roulette with a 6 shot revolver after 6 shots, then he will put in another bullet and shoot us.

THEN I WILL BRING OUT MY BASEBALL BAT AND HIT THE BULLET BACK AT HIM.

I accept your challenge! Let's race to see who gets to the one answer first!
Will Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 02:05   Link #18029
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Why are you so convinced that just having choices will lead to a cop-out ending, Renall? Considering that we have an antagonist whose M.O. is dragging worst-case options out of the Sea of Fragments, you don't see any potential for a satisfying narrative?

Let me revise my prediction. I predict that the viewpoint character of EP8 will be the game master, Bernkastel. The choices will be her attempts to twist the truth that Battler wants to spin for Ange, and Battler will have to refute every twisted sequence of events she can come up with. We'll also see the truth of Bern's backstory come out.
Old 2010-10-12, 02:09   Link #18030
Shiro Kaisen

Quote:
I'm curious why he even bothers to say "a character," given that there's about a 90% chance of it being Battler.
I wouldn't say that high a percent.

It's still easily possible for it to be Yasu (choose your life! Shannon, Kanon, or your own self!) or Ange.
Shiro Kaisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 02:10   Link #18031
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
Why are you so convinced that just having choices will lead to a cop-out ending, Renall? Considering that we have an antagonist whose M.O. is dragging worst-case options out of the Sea of Fragments, you don't see any potential for a satisfying narrative?
I'd love to see him do it well and I'd love to see it not be a gimmick but man, it screams "gimmick cop-out" at the top of its lungs to me.

It's not like I want to be disappointed, I'm just very heavily expecting it if he didn't speak a little too freely at the interview and actually meant something slightly different.

Like I said, if he clarifies, it might make considerably more sense and actually sound like something potentially exceptional. But from just what we have, I am skeptical as hell.

Old 2010-10-12, 02:10   Link #18032
Will Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiro Kaisen View Post
I wouldn't say that high a percent.

It's still easily possible for it to be Yasu (choose your life! Shannon, Kanon, or your own self!) or Ange.
If it's Ange I would take the "kill self" choice because I really hate Ange.
Old 2010-10-12, 02:12   Link #18033
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post

Let me revise my prediction. I predict that the viewpoint character of EP8 will be the game master, Bernkastel. The choices will be her attempts to twist the truth that Battler wants to spin for Ange, and Battler will have to refute every twisted sequence of events she can come up with. We'll also see the truth of Bern's backstory come out.
Plot-wise, it would make sense for it to be from Battler's perspective. Since its been thrown in our face the entire story that Battler's choices and actions on Rokkenjimma have a tremendous influence on how the murders go about.

So the basic premise is that "the murders happen, Battler is there, and can influence the course of events". We extrapolate from there that by taking control of Battler, and determining his actions, we can then figure out what the consequences of those hypothetical decisions are. If we have deduced the "true" decisions Battler made, we can come to the "One Truth" of Rokkenjimma, and break open the catbox once and for all.

I can't wait to unlock the "Epic Bout between Battler and George" route.
Old 2010-10-12, 02:12   Link #18034
Shiro Kaisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Wright View Post
If it's Ange I would take the "kill self" choice because I really hate Ange.
You're a horrible human being and you should be ashamed.

Ange is the best imouto ever. Sobbed during her death scene.

...what?
Shiro Kaisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-12, 02:14   Link #18035
Will Wright

Quote:

...what?
She's...boring! And the fact she was in the first half of episode 4, aka the worst part of Umineko to me as it had no murder mysteries probably contributes to me hating her so much.

I actually laughed when she died. Not when she died, that was actually a strong moment.

But once Beato began to describe how she died with a complete deadpan expression, it was hilarious.
Old 2010-10-12, 02:15   Link #18036
TehChron

Quote:

...what?
He is the right and true justice. Her Seiyuu should stick to shooting electro-blasts and getting the shit beaten out of her by Beato in Power Armor.

The world needs fewer goth/emos/Brother Complexes.
Old 2010-10-12, 02:17   Link #18037
luckyssol

If it's a 'choose your route' kind of scenario I wonder how many people will be honest about getting the bad ending on their first run through. The ones who truly understood the story (probably Jan-Poo) may get the correct ending in one shot.

Yeah, we need some more clarification on what he means by this. I can't wait three months with this knowledge.
Old 2010-10-12, 02:18   Link #18038
Will Wright

If we are playing as Ange, I will intentionally try to get the bad ending.
Old 2010-10-12, 02:18   Link #18039
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
If it's a 'choose your route' kind of scenario I wonder how many people will be honest about getting the bad ending on their first run through. The ones who truly understood the story (probably Jan-Poo) may get the correct ending in one shot.

Yeah, we need some more clarification on what he means by this. I can't wait three months with this knowledge.
I can. And I will be a happy camper if it is this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Wright View Post
If we are playing as Ange, I will intentionally try to get the bad ending.
That is the "correct" route, so it falls under the terms of our competition.
Old 2010-10-12, 02:22   Link #18040
Will Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehChron View Post
That is the "correct" route, so it falls under the terms of our competition.
Perfect. So let's establish the terms of our competition:

-If the character we are playing as is Ange, getting a game over as soon as possible means winning.
-If we are playing as anyone else, then our goal becomes to solve everything and get the good ending.