AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-05-04, 02:47   Link #41
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

so, it's a prequel then? hmm..
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 02:55   Link #42
kaigan
Segmentation fault

volume 2 only? why so short?! i hope each volume is 500 pages long.
kaigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 04:49   Link #43
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
The "past timeline" part almost kills any hope. But my questions towards these past timelines remain unchanged. Of course, all of them may be clarified through timeline 4 (which we have least information about), or it may be indeed a timeline not shown in ep 10. But one question will remain solid in this case: what was the need in delaying a prequel? I can't think of anything in the past timelines that would spoil episodes 11 and 12, unless it's something about Oriko turning into Walpurgis Night or burning up her powers and then being visited by Valkyrie Madoka.
Oh well, a bit more than a week till Vol 1. May 12 will have a final say in our doubts.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 04:52   Link #44
Used Can

Who knows? For all we know, it could end rather bad. I mean, if it is a prequel, and we see no signs of Oriko in the anime, then I guess that maybe something went wrong.

It could also be they may be planning a sequel, and this prequel is required for some grounding.
Old 2011-05-04, 06:38   Link #45
night_sentinel

I don't think we should give up hope for a possible sequel right now. We have never been hinted about the white and black puella magi 's existence in the anime but, they appear here. During ep. 10 we saw that though all timeline diverged but there isn't that much of a difference. The situation just played differently. Unless, Homura ( the differing variable in all timeline) outsourced outside help which spiraled out of control then, I have a hard time seeing this a prequel.

Besides, according to the synopsis, - Homura, Mami and Kyoko are not supposed to cross paths. But, it seemed in the timelines that Homura traveled to or have been shown they are suppose to cross paths. Besides, its suppose to test their existence or change the fate of the puella magi according to Vol. 1. But, unless its after Madoka's rewrite then most of change would be gone.

Anyway, protecting Madoka's peace esp. in context of Homura can be protecting Madoka's normal everyday life or protecting Madoka by encouraging her not to contract. Or it could be post-series Homura's wish to protect the world that Madoka died to protect.

I do agree that "past timeline" does damper the chance of its sequel a bit. But, thinking of all the other details makes the chance of it being a prequel also sketchy. Anyway, though I dearly wish that its a sequel, I also want to see the timelines that Homura traveled to. So its a win-win situation.

Though, if it is a prequel this would give hard evidence that there are more than five timelines...
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 06:48   Link #46
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Hmm. Now I really don't know. I'm now leaning towards the idea that this is neither prequel, nor sequel; it's just spin-off. Over-complicating things seem to be hurting me a bit too much.
Old 2011-05-04, 09:04   Link #47
Snork
Twilight lander

"just spin-off" would be Kazumi. A story that features the same characters (and is not positioned to be an AU) inevitably falls somewhere on the timeline - after the main events (meaning a sequel) or before them (a prequel). So, a prequel should involve one of timelines we haven't seen or, as I said above, timeline 4, as we know less than a lot of what happened there between Homura's awakening and her battle with Walpurgis Night. The absense of Madoka means that the whole team can no longer gather in a conventional way. On the other hand, whatever past timeline it's set in, this can ONLY be set within a month before Walpurgis Night, otherwise you can't insert Homura anywhere. And a case of "magical girl hunting" would have been a serious and hardly overlookable concern if it happened in every timeline including the witnessed ones. So, what exactly did Homura - our main and most influential variable - have to do to cause such a turn of events in one particular timeline, but not in others? How come we have at least three new characters appearing on the stage in this timeline but not earlier or later? That really makes me curious.
Old 2011-05-04, 21:38   Link #48
Used Can

Here are my 2 cents (I apologise beforehand for the incoming block of text):

I agree with the idea Oriko may either take place in TL4 or a timeline we haven't seen.
As for Homura's involvement. Let's see, in TL1 she wasn't a MS. In TL2, she didn't meet Madoka and Mami until school started, meaning she made no moves in the week after she woke up in the hospital until the beginning of school term. TL3 is complicated, since she had learned about the truth about MS by the end of TL2. However, Madoka still was a MS, which leads me to believe Homura didn't meet her until the beginning of the school term. Of course, Homura didn't try to prevent Madoka from becoming a MS until she asked her to, by the end of TL3. So, Homura making no moves in the first week of TL3 is an assumption of mine.

So, where am I going with this? If Homura became involved in this event and this didn't happen during the anime, it'd only make sense if it took place in the week before the beginning of school terms. Thus, assuming Homura made no moves in the first week during TL1-3, then this incident could have been dealt with by Mami and Madoka (and maybe Kyouko). However, by TL4, Homura started making moves in the first week, since she was trying to prevent Madoka from contracting. Not to mention she was hunting witches on her own. Therefore, assuming I'm right with my previous ideas, this whole Mahou Shoujo hunting would be a new thing for her, since she'd have no experience about it, from the previous timelines. In addition, there's no problem with Homura working alongside Mami and Kyouko in TL4, since we've seen almost nothing of this timeline. We do know, though, Homura was alone during the fight against Walpurgisnacht, meaning Mami died at some point. Kyouko could have died as well, or she simply returned to her own turf. Of course, by TL5, since Homura already knew about this issue, she could have dealt with it on her own.

Now, we've got no info about this Mahou Shoujo hunting deal, but I think an interesting idea would be if it involves MS who have learned the truth about the Soul Gem and now, they are hunting other MS in order to either prevent new witches from being born, or the opposite, forcing them to become witches, in order to gather Grief Seeds.

As for Oriko's involvement and relevance, I've got no idea. Once thing we do know is that she was never shown or even mentioned in the anime. So, she could be like Sayaka in the sense that, no matter what, she'll meet an unfortunate end. Of course, there's also the possibility that, just like Madoka, she contracted during the week before the school term started, so, by TL5, Homura prevented her from contracting. Therefore, during the anime, she was living a normal life. Of course, this brings a slight contradiction or simply a bit of none-sense, since the only one who would be able to change Oriko's fate (assuming she dies) would be Homura. Yet, in TL1-3, we never saw Madoka or Mami being slightly depressed, and Madoka being Madoka, I'm sure she'd be really sad. Yet, she was very cheerful by the time the school term had started. So, another possibility is that Oriko simply went somewhere else after the events that took place during the first week, or my speculation is wrong somewhere or simply entirely wrong.
Old 2011-05-05, 02:35   Link #49
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
In addition, there's no problem with Homura working alongside Mami and Kyouko in TL4, since we've seen almost nothing of this timeline. We do know, though, Homura was alone during the fight against Walpurgisnacht, meaning Mami died at some point. Kyouko could have died as well
OK, now I'm nervous. Seeing as it's Urobuchi at the stand...
Will I have to watch Kyouko dying yet again?
Old 2011-05-05, 13:25   Link #50
mols

Personally, I don't like prequels... in general that is. I need to think as to why, but for the moment I am certain I don't like the idea.

Of course, that does not mean I won't read it or that I won't enjoy it...
mols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 13:37   Link #51
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mols View Post
Personally, I don't like prequels... in general that is. I need to think as to why, but for the moment I am certain I don't like the idea.

Of course, that does not mean I won't read it or that I won't enjoy it...
I have no problem with this being a prequel. Would be happier to see a sequel, yes, but I'm content either way. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with prequels so long as they serve a purpose (Fate/zero, for example), so on that basis this looks like it'll be plenty entertaining even as a prequel.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 13:45   Link #52
mols

I guess you are right... But I just don't like them. The first time I heard the word "prequel" I went and saw the movie (I think it was a movie) and I left with the impression that it was just stuff made up in a hurry that did not fit well with the original story. In fact, that is why now I don't like them, I always have in the back of my mind that problem. That the authors never thought of a prequel to begin with, and then decided to make one...

I know that is not always the case. But I have been marked already hahahaha

Besides, I think I am somewhat "linear" I like stories to start at the beginning and finish at the end. With sequels if necessary... ( that being said, I am also used to seeing awful sequels that are best forgotten).
Old 2011-05-05, 15:24   Link #53
Dark Wing

Not all prequels are bad some of them actually add depth to characters and stories if done correctly.

Now what I want to see from this if it is a prequel the relationship between Kyoko and Mami back in their day.
Old 2011-05-05, 15:33   Link #54
mols

I know, not all are bad...
But I still feel uneasy. I prefer to move forward rather than prequels...
Old 2011-05-06, 04:06   Link #55
Snork
Twilight lander

The thing is, the future now promises more answers than the past. Sure, it would be nice to see how Kyouko and Mami met, or maybe how Walpurgis Night originated (presumably Homura started gathering data on her since TL4, so...). But personally, I feel a stronger desire to see how exactly the new system works, how magical girls deal with demons, whether Kyouko will get over Sayaka's death, and moar Homura in action with her bow and wings (seriously, there should be a figurine of her like that). I'm just more interested in timeline 6 than in any of the previous ones. That's why I hope for Oriko to be a sequel.

Btw, even if we see Mami and Kyouko's previous meeting, is it the one hinted at in ep 3? Judging by the info, their paths cross due to the MG hunting incident. But Mami is hinted to have known Kyouko in timeline 5 as well, where the whole thing doesn't seem to (and hardly can) have happened.
Old 2011-05-06, 08:21   Link #56
mols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
The thing is, the future now promises more answers than the past. Sure, it would be nice to see how Kyouko and Mami met, or maybe how Walpurgis Night originated (presumably Homura started gathering data on her since TL4, so...). But personally, I feel a stronger desire to see how exactly the new system works, how magical girls deal with demons, whether Kyouko will get over Sayaka's death, and moar Homura in action with her bow and wings (seriously, there should be a figurine of her like that). I'm just more interested in timeline 6 than in any of the previous ones. That's why I hope for Oriko to be a sequel.

Btw, even if we see Mami and Kyouko's previous meeting, is it the one hinted at in ep 3? Judging by the info, their paths cross due to the MG hunting incident. But Mami is hinted to have known Kyouko in timeline 5 as well, where the whole thing doesn't seem to (and hardly can) have happened.
Yes indeed. I also want to know what happens next... Prequels can be interesting, but I rather have a sequel with a few important flashbacks than a full length prequel.

We'll see how things turn out... One problem I have is that, I don't trust anyone to be perfect and thus I take every new piece of work as having a probability of being a failure. What I mean is that I hope this new series does not turn out to be a disappointment. You know, like give the impression that it was never thought originally and that the story was made after the success of the anime.
It happens a lot in movies... good first movie and crappy sequels..
Old 2011-05-06, 08:47   Link #57
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by mols View Post
What I mean is that I hope this new series does not turn out to be a disappointment. You know, like give the impression that it was never thought originally and that the story was made after the success of the anime.
If it can reassure you,the manga was announced before the anime started airing,so it was something that Urobuchi came up with at the same time as the anime script and would have been released regardless of the anime's success
Old 2011-05-06, 08:55   Link #58
mols

Actually... it does! thanks for the info.
Now, I just need to wait.
Old 2011-05-06, 09:26   Link #59
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
There is a synopsis of Vol. 2 here.

大ヒットオリジナルTVアニメ「魔法少女まどか☆マギカ」の全編描き下ろしスピンオフコミック 、完結巻!
因縁の白い魔法少女を探す佐倉杏子、魔法少女狩りの犯人、黒い魔法少女と対峙する巴マミ、ただひたすらに、 鹿目まどかとの平穏を守ろうとする暁美ほむら。
交わることのないはずの3人の魔法少女が『織莉子』の手によって螺旋状に運命を束ねられていく 。
それは、彼女たちの存在を試す物語――。
それは、過ぎ去ったひとつの時間軸――。

Sigh... Its ridiculously ambiguous... It could be a prequel ( a past timeline of Homura) or a sequel (after the anime ends). ^^
vol 2 is out already?
Old 2011-05-06, 09:55   Link #60
Snork
Twilight lander

The question implies "how much credibility does this synopsis hold?"
Of course, 2ch is known for its qurks...