Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-10-23, 08:36   Link #181
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Am I reading too much into the trailer?
Sorta. The trailer is misleading about certain things on purpose.

Quote:
Almost certainly. But the tone it is setting, as I said, sounds suspiciously like the tone of Episode IV rather than, "the New Republic is slogging its way across the galaxy eliminating the remnants of the Empire, but it's tough sledding."
I personally get Empire Strike Back feels watching the trailer.

Also, one of the thing that jumped out to me the first time I saw the First Order symbol (that is the imperial-like group in the trailer), is that it doesn't use the symbol Palpaltine used to represent his Empire. Yet, I always though it looked familiar.

You need to have played Star Wars the Old Republic to realize that their symbol borrow from a design in the game. Let say, I'm wondering if the First Order are really Palpatine's Empire remnants.

Quote:
As for the Sith/Jedi stuff, again, the Jedi were, to a reasonable degree, well known in the prequel era and earlier. Forty years post-Return and Luke has done not much of anything to rebuild the order as he was supposed to do? Again, that's the sense I get from the trailer.
Doing something and it becoming public and widespread are two totally different things. For all we know, Luke did rebuilt the Order, the movie is simply not about them.

Last edited by azarhal; 2015-10-23 at 08:48.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-23, 21:39   Link #182
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Sorta. The trailer is misleading about certain things on purpose.
As it should be, but if that's how it wants to mislead us, then they're already trying to set expectations lower.

Quote:
Also, one of the thing that jumped out to me the first time I saw the First Order symbol (that is the imperial-like group in the trailer), is that it doesn't use the symbol Palpaltine used to represent his Empire. Yet, I always though it looked familiar.

You need to have played Star Wars the Old Republic to realize that their symbol borrow from a design in the game. Let say, I'm wondering if the First Order are really Palpatine's Empire remnants.
You don't need to have played TOR to know that. It's common enough throughout the TOR-era EU.

Symbols of the same entity can morph over time. I don't think it necessarily says anything that they are weaker or a reborn group because a different-but-familiar symbol is used.
Quote:
Doing something and it becoming public and widespread are two totally different things. For all we know, Luke did rebuilt the Order, the movie is simply not about them.
To me, spreading the word about the Jedi and restoring their good name are part of that mission.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 15:20   Link #183
Gravitas Free Zone

An extra Japanese trailer!

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 15:29   Link #184
IceHism

After reading the 24x gold Reddit post on jar jar being the ultimate sith Lord, I hope JJ Abrams makes it happen and redeems jar jar from being the worst character in the series. George lucas would have been a genius if he went through with what he originally planned.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 15:37   Link #185
Galaxian

Now I'm thinking that Fin is going to die halfway through the movie so that Rey can become the main heroine.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 15:47   Link #186
Gravitas Free Zone

This shot is a big Hinomaru of cinematic references, though the most popular seems to be leaning toward Apocalypse Now.

Images

And of course it appears in the Japanese trailer?
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 21:36   Link #187
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Now I'm thinking that Fin is going to die halfway through the movie so that Rey can become the main heroine.
I feel like that's Chewie... Not that there's a lot to go on there. I mean, it's probably my imagination seeing his bandoleer to the bottom right and wisps of fur. And an article I read said it seems odd that Rey would be perched over Chewie, of all characters.

As for Finn... I would be stunned if they killed off any new hero quickly, especially one that is (don't take this the wrong way) diverse. Seems like it'd be a bad move.

I can see a Big 3 character being killed, though. Or Chewie (which heightens my speculation on this trailer).

Old 2015-11-07, 02:41   Link #188
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
After reading the 24x gold Reddit post on jar jar being the ultimate sith Lord, I hope JJ Abrams makes it happen and redeems jar jar from being the worst character in the series. George lucas would have been a genius if he went through with what he originally planned.
Jar Jar's character was redeemed in the Clone Wars cartoon. He was used exceptionally well in all his Clone Wars appearances.

The Reddit post is reaching, at best, at straws in light of the Clone Wars episodes.
Old 2015-11-07, 18:55   Link #189
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
This shot is a big Hinomaru of cinematic references, though the most popular seems to be leaning toward Apocalypse Now.

Images

And of course it appears in the Japanese trailer?
Definitely the best scene from that trailer, my favorite from the US trailer is the Knights of Ren group scene that just looks way too badass.

Also remember #starwarsjacketspeculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Also everyone is so focused on Rey this, Rey that, so you are going to tell me that not only is Rey a Skywalker, she gets to pilot the Millennium Falcon (which you see her do in the behind the scenes look), is Kylo Ren's sister, is Han and Leias daughter, is a jedi, the real owner of the blue light saber and Luke's student?... ok so what about Finn, what is he going to do then? Is he the new C3PO or something and will just stumble across the movie just to die to Kylo Ren?

Last edited by Chosen_Hero; 2015-11-07 at 21:39.
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 03:22   Link #190
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Also everyone is so focused on Rey this, Rey that, so you are going to tell me that not only is Rey a Skywalker, she gets to pilot the Millennium Falcon (which you see her do in the behind the scenes look), is Kylo Ren's sister, is Han and Leias daughter, is a jedi, the real owner of the blue light saber and Luke's student?... ok so what about Finn, what is he going to do then? Is he the new C3PO or something and will just stumble across the movie just to die to Kylo Ren?
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 05:53   Link #191
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Not every Jedi needs to be a Skywalker.

But the story of the trilogies is the story of the Skywalker family and those they are closest too. That much is known.

But even with that, it was usually more interesting to watch Obi-wan Kenobi or Han Solo.
Old 2015-11-09, 22:44   Link #192
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Jar Jar's character was redeemed in the Clone Wars cartoon. He was used exceptionally well in all his Clone Wars appearances.

The Reddit post is reaching, at best, at straws in light of the Clone Wars episodes.
Please don't tell me that George lucas expected most of his viewers to watch a cartoon.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-10, 00:25   Link #193
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

No, but the stories remain there as part of the Star Wars universe.
Old 2015-11-10, 02:49   Link #194
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Not every Jedi needs to be a Skywalker.

But the story of the trilogies is the story of the Skywalker family and those they are closest too. That much is known.

But even with that, it was usually more interesting to watch Obi-wan Kenobi or Han Solo.
It's obvious that Rey is a Skywalker. Sometimes the best swerve is no swerve at all. The only question that remains is if she's Han or Luke's.
Old 2015-11-10, 03:48   Link #195
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The recent TV promo, about the same eyes across time, would imply she is Han's daughter.
Old 2015-11-10, 04:05   Link #196
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
The recent TV promo, about the same eyes across time, would imply she is Han's daughter.
It's beginning to sound like they just retconned the EU to have access to its storylines. If your hunch and
Spoiler:
is true. Then I'd need to put this person into perspective.
Spoiler for Rey's character is basically....:
Old 2015-11-10, 20:01   Link #197
JagdPanther

Quote:
Please don't tell me that George lucas expected most of his viewers to watch a cartoon.
Unfortunately, it was really popular despite being awful. I normally cannot handle the idea of not finishing watching something I started. Just in my nature to finish everything. I completely gave up on The Clone Wars after season 3, and it was a massive struggle to make it through season 3. It was just so unbelievably bad.

The worst part, without question, was Ashoka. She is incredibly well-liked for one reason: she's a she. That's it. There is no other legitimate reason to like her.

I have absolutely nothing with strong female characters. Indeed, I love movies, TV shows, books, etc. with strong female leads. But Ashoka was atrocious. Totally ruined that series for me, even with huge amount of other faults with TCW. The worst were episodes written by Katie Lucas, George's daughter. Her writing is simply the worst.

Because of my experience with TCW, I cannot bring myself to watch Rebels, either. Same people, same crap.

This stuff is all canon... whereas wonderfully-written novels and ground-breaking games, amongst other things, are not.

Old 2015-11-11, 00:35   Link #198
AnimeFan188

Quote:

Why Jar Jar Binks Is More Evil Than You Ever Knew:

http://www.cracked.com/video_19728_h...-prequels.html

Last edited by AnimeFan188; 2015-11-11 at 02:52.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-12, 00:09   Link #199
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
That was insane. Thank you for that. I mean truly. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-14, 00:03   Link #200
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

TV ad.