AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-04-13, 07:23   Link #2901
allison13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnicat View Post
Oh god, please no. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's voice actors who can't be bothered to pronounce foreign names correctly. They're trained for this kind of work, there is no excuse for not even trying. There's trying and getting halfway at least, and there's giving people used to a different sound system the finger by intentionally butchering it.

Besides, I thought they pronounced Heero fine most of the time. Quatre slipped up a few times, but other than that, it sounded good to me.

PS: Most English versions of "r" are ugly, anyway. :P
Hmm...yeah, I do see your point. I guess I just got so used to hearing Japanese words being pronounced wrong by English speakers that it didn't get to me so much. I just thought, from hearing a native speaker say the name, it sounded closer to English "Hero" than an English speaker trying to say "Hiro." You're right, though, now that I think more on it...better to try.

We had a few German students tell us that we talk like our mouths are full all the time...I think, then, more than just our "r" sounds are ugly. :P
allison13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 07:34   Link #2902
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
EDIT: @SkullFaerie - LOL Be glad they didn't go for the full version, Brunhilde. xD
OH GOD NO!!!! xD

Right, I just listened to the English way google translate pronounces it (was referring to google translate set to German before) - I guess that is fine too, for an english speaker. Interestingly, it sounds like "Hild" which is just a different variety of the name, as you can say "Brunhild" instead of "Brunhilde"... and now I'm trying to decide which one sounds more ancient xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison13 View Post
Haha, all the German we got taught in high school was called "outdated" by exchange students. Like...they all thought we were idiots. Maybe the rest of the world just hasn't figured it out yet.
ahaha, funny! Incidentally, that seems to be common, and I don't know why. When we learn english, it comes out as pretty modern, even though it's in school :s
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 12:38   Link #2903
shadowii

so synopsis aside anyone want to outline the main points of chapter 8? (I see Duo II and Nania hanging out on the cover)
shadowii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 12:42   Link #2904
Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
OH GOD NO!!!! xD

Right, I just listened to the English way google translate pronounces it (was referring to google translate set to German before) - I guess that is fine too, for an english speaker. Interestingly, it sounds like "Hild" which is just a different variety of the name, as you can say "Brunhild" instead of "Brunhilde"... and now I'm trying to decide which one sounds more ancient xD

ahaha, funny! Incidentally, that seems to be common, and I don't know why. When we learn english, it comes out as pretty modern, even though it's in school :s
I only wish we could learn other then just English in our schools. We do learn early parts of freanch in the last two years in high school but sadly we just don't have it. Oh thank god at least, something better nothing.
Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 17:10   Link #2905
allison13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowii View Post
so synopsis aside anyone want to outline the main points of chapter 8? (I see Duo II and Nania hanging out on the cover)
There were a couple summaries a few pages back, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Nevermind...I don't think they even covered the whole chapter. I'm getting the chapters all mixed up now.

Last edited by allison13; 2011-04-13 at 19:00.
Old 2011-04-16, 17:23   Link #2906
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnicat View Post
Oh god, please no. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's voice actors who can't be bothered to pronounce foreign names correctly. They're trained for this kind of work, there is no excuse for not even trying.
Hm, yes, the reasoning is sound. It makes 'Hildy' all the sillier, though. I mean, I'm sure saying 'eh' at the end of 'Hilde' is easier for the English than pronouncing 'Heero' with a Japanese 'r'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga_CE View Post
Trowa means three in French ("trois") and is spelled in katakana just the same as the French word. So I think they should have spelled it "Trois". Same with Quatre, which means four in French, except that they did spell it like "quatre" right from the beginning (and with Treize (thirteen)).

PS: the Sank Kingdom should as well have been spelled "Cinq" since it is the same pronunciation as "five" in French. Same with Orb in Gundam SEED: the katakana spelling could easily be transcribed to "Aube", which means "dawn" in French, and is very related to the "Akatsuki" Gundam and the "Morgenroete" facility (both words meaning "dawn" in Japanese and German).
You know, there is one misspelling I'm grateful for. And that's Barge. Maybe it's just my mind ending up in the gutter but calling a giant laser cannon 'Bulge' sounds really stupid for some reason. Heck, calling anything Bulge sounds stupid.

As for Orb; while I'll agree that Aube makes more sense, didn't the OS of Orb MS read 'O.R.B.' in series? (no idea what kind of BS abbreviation that stands for)
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 19:05   Link #2907
allison13

Quote:
Hm, yes, the reasoning is sound. It makes 'Hildy' all the sillier, though. I mean, I'm sure saying 'eh' at the end of 'Hilde' is easier for the English than pronouncing 'Heero' with a Japanese 'r'.
Yeah, someone must have just not realized that the 'e' is more like an 'eh' sound. Or some of the voice actors just didn't get the memo In one of the "next episode" things, Heero's voice actor says it correctly.

On another note...

I remember watching GW and thinking that a few of the dialogues didn't really end up making a ton of sense. I wonder if that was due to poor translation, or if there were parts that didn't totally come together in the Japanese version, as well. I couldn't point out any specifics at the moment, it's been awhile since I watched it all the way through. Just thinking back, I remember feeling that every once in awhile it would be like there was some point trying to be made, but it never quite got there, or something.

Or, it's just me thinking too much (or too little) in to it.
Old 2011-04-16, 23:48   Link #2908
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Yeah, someone must have just not realized that the 'e' is more like an 'eh' sound. Or some of the voice actors just didn't get the memo In one of the "next episode" things, Heero's voice actor says it correctly.

On another note...

I remember watching GW and thinking that a few of the dialogues didn't really end up making a ton of sense. I wonder if that was due to poor translation, or if there were parts that didn't totally come together in the Japanese version, as well. I couldn't point out any specifics at the moment, it's been awhile since I watched it all the way through. Just thinking back, I remember feeling that every once in awhile it would be like there was some point trying to be made, but it never quite got there, or something.

Or, it's just me thinking too much (or too little) in to it.
There were definitely a number of scenes where the dialog didn't quite flow properly and there seemed to be missing lines.

I'd chalk it up to translation issues but they may be present in the original lines as well.
Old 2011-04-17, 08:08   Link #2909
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
I believe you're referring to the preview of episode 23, when Duo and Hilde meet for the first time. Indeed, the VA doesn't say Hildy, he says Hilda. It's better but still not correct.

Quote:
On another note...

I don't think they messed up where content is concerned but there are some lines in the English dub that put me off when I hear them. They obviously took the creative liberty to paraphrase some things to match the lip sync and I really don't mind that. Except for two examples that really bug me because they're confusing.
One of them is Wu Fei's line to Noin, after he has wreaked havoc on the Victoria Base. In the English dub he tells her "I don't kill bleeding hearts or women." The subs are the same although in the Japanese dub he clearly says "I don't kill weaklings or women." Considering Wu Fei's reputation, it makes a huge difference to me. I'm more prone to misinterpret the first as misogyny than the latter. What are bleeding hearts anyway?
The second example would be Duo's line when Master O is mopping the floor with him. Master O tells Duo it wouldn't hurt as much if he screamed out loud. English Duo answers: "Yeah. But mama told me real men never scream out loud." Right, his mother. I guess it was just bad luck to have a war orphan say that.
The Japanese one is more badass, by the way. He just says "Yeah. But I'm a man." Badass.

(On a side note, why the heck did they change Master Long's gender in the English dub? Couldn't they find a granny to say her lines? You'd think it'd hold significance that a woman is leading a clan of badass Chinese. Which Wu Fei belongs to.)

As far as the dialogue in the original goes, well, there are often many things that are expressed only by a single line, so you have to sit down and analyze it to heaven and back to get what they truly mean. Particularly anything that Treize or Zechs say. Is it because of time constraints? Or simply GW's charm? I don't know. Sometimes it's fun and sometimes it's just frustrating. I still don't get what "If you're just, you must be strong" means.
Old 2011-04-17, 09:26   Link #2910
GrahamAker
狙撃する準備ができ

Send a message via Yahoo to GrahamAker
which are the new gundams in this novel ?
Old 2011-04-17, 15:42   Link #2911
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Well, "bleeding heart" isn't that far off from calling her a 'weakling' actually. It's a label used for someone who is overly sympathetic or liberal. In the case of Noin, she's pretty much backing off of WuFei because he's a child, so his wording fits. At least I agree with the translation more or less.

Besides, Master Long was a male :P
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 19:13   Link #2912
allison13

Quote:

As far as the dialogue in the original goes, well, there are often many things that are expressed only by a single line, so you have to sit down and analyze it to heaven and back to get what they truly mean. Particularly anything that Treize or Zechs say. Is it because of time constraints? Or simply GW's charm? I don't know. Sometimes it's fun and sometimes it's just frustrating. I still don't get what "If you're just, you must be strong" means.
Yeah...I don't know. Maybe things make more sense in the Japanese overall.

Boy, sure managed to stray off of the whole FT thing...anyone find any new information/summaries/etc?
Old 2011-04-18, 02:29   Link #2913
Kitsoru
:3c

Nothing yet. New chapter comes out in a week, doesn't it?

Hoping my copy doesn't show up after I've already left school, but I did email Fujisan to start mailing them to my permanent address, so... Unfortunately, I won't be living at the address I'm sending them to until at least mid-July, so I won't be able to give info quite as quickly for the next 2 issues after this one.
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 06:05   Link #2914
allison13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Nothing yet. New chapter comes out in a week, doesn't it?

Hoping my copy doesn't show up after I've already left school, but I did email Fujisan to start mailing them to my permanent address, so... Unfortunately, I won't be living at the address I'm sending them to until at least mid-July, so I won't be able to give info quite as quickly for the next 2 issues after this one.

I put in an order about 3 1/2 weeks ago, so hopefully mine shows up, too. Usually takes about 2 weeks after the release date to make it's way to the states, right?
Old 2011-04-18, 18:53   Link #2915
Kitsoru

Quote:
I put in an order about 3 1/2 weeks ago, so hopefully mine shows up, too. Usually takes about 2 weeks after the release date to make it's way to the states, right?
Yeah. It ships from the West coast and I'm in Chicago, so I usually get mine around the 8th-9th of the following month.
Old 2011-04-19, 05:22   Link #2916
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Besides, Master Long was a male :P
Master Long is a dude???? He sounds like my grandma! You really sure it's a male?
Old 2011-04-19, 22:06   Link #2917
Kitsoru

Does anyone recall what the specific reasoning for the Barge actually being called 'Bulge' was apart from Sumisawa specifically noting it in English? I seem to recall Sumisawa actually explained why/how the fortress was called Bulge in-universe but I can't seem to find it.

Also, does anyone remember the chapter and page it was on? :x

Last edited by Kitsoru; 2011-04-20 at 15:10.
Old 2011-04-20, 23:33   Link #2918
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsoru View Post
Does anyone recall what the specific reasoning for the Barge actually being called 'Bulge' was apart from Sumisawa specifically noting it in English? I seem to recall Sumisawa actually explained why/how the fortress was called Bulge in-universe but I can't seem to find it.

Also, does anyone remember the chapter and page it was on? :x
I want to say it was the chapter that chronicled Heero meeting Vingt for the first time or the one before it.
Old 2011-04-23, 16:24   Link #2919
Kitsoru

Isn't the new issue out in Japan by now...? :B Even though it's early morning.

Any news? REI posted a blog related to FT somehow, but I'm not sure what she's saying:
http://pixiv.cc/usabiba/archives/2605658.html
There's mention of a 'delay' related to the Earthquake but I don't know if she means there's no chapter this month. There was one last month so I don't know why there wouldn't be this month unless last month's chapter was already squared away before the quake...

Nothing from Kouryakukan yet, but I expect he'll post something today.
Old 2011-04-23, 16:43   Link #2920
gordol
Banned

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...3567922083.jpg

looks like the magnacs aren't done by katoki this time, it's junya ishigaki again
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing