AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2010-09-20, 18:04   Link #7721
Cephei Mordred
Lord Knight of SYTOM

Probably a dumb question that I could find out the answer to myself, but...

Did CC know all along that Marianne was hiding inside Anya?
Cephei Mordred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 18:09   Link #7722
azul120

CC basically knew everything, so yes.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 21:56   Link #7723
Betteroffer

I don't think this is actually the case. If I recall, in China, when C.C. attacked the Mordred and Anya had her "episode", C.C. was surprised at first and then said something to the effect of "I see, so this is..." and was cut off by Asahina. I think that this would at least allow a case to be made that C.C. didn't know who exactly Marianne was hiding in until that moment.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 23:37   Link #7724
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

That might fly if C.C. hadn't been talking to Marianne ever since Marianne "died". Marianne makes a point of this when describing what happened. C.C. always knew.
Old 2010-09-21, 09:35   Link #7725
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
I think that this would at least allow a case to be made that C.C. didn't know who exactly Marianne was hiding in until that moment.
Or, as an alternative, that C.C. simply didn't know where Marianne's "host" was located at the time.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 13:02   Link #7726
Cephei Mordred
Lord Knight of SYTOM

Also...was it ever explained anywhere why Anya and Gino hung out so much?
Old 2010-09-21, 23:30   Link #7727
Betteroffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
That might fly if C.C. hadn't been talking to Marianne ever since Marianne "died". Marianne makes a point of this when describing what happened. C.C. always knew.
Does Marianne explicitly state that C.C. knew she was in Anya at any point? I remember that Bismarck apparantly didn't even know she was "alive" despite having his own Geass and being in on the other aspects of Ragnarok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Or, as an alternative, that C.C. simply didn't know where Marianne's "host" was located at the time.
As a Knight of the Round, Anya was rather well known, as was the Mordred, so I doubt C.C. would be in the dark as to who she was facing.
Old 2010-09-21, 23:57   Link #7728
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
Does Marianne explicitly state that C.C. knew she was in Anya at any point? I remember that Bismarck apparantly didn't even know she was "alive" despite having his own Geass and being in on the other aspects of Ragnarok.
Actually, I believe you are correct about that after checking episode 20 of R2.

During the sequence where "Marianne" finally meets C.C. and brings her back there isn't any evident sign of mutual recognition until she changes into her original appearance. Then again, it's worth noting C.C. didn't really mention Anya by name either. In fact, she seemed ignorant enough about her identity.

Quote:
As a Knight of the Round, Anya was rather well known, as was the Mordred, so I doubt C.C. would be in the dark as to who she was facing.
I would say the evidence is insufficient, to be quite honest. C.C. herself makes no comments to that effect.

I also don't recall anyone, at least not among the general population, automatically identifying Anya with Mordred or Gino with Tristan before having already interacted with them in some sort of capacity (ie: Villetta was still posing as a teacher at Ashford Academy when Anya and Gino briefly enrolled).
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 23:59   Link #7729
Cephei Mordred
Lord Knight of SYTOM

It's a fair question, that has many possible reasons...and I was wondering if it was ever addressed in any of the other media.
Old 2010-09-23, 00:59   Link #7730
Cephei Mordred
Lord Knight of SYTOM

Actually...Gino and Anya are both nobles, right? They are probably longtime childhood friends.

So that makes them good de facto partners, especially since part of Gino's role seems to be babysitting her to an extent. Without supervision, Anya would probably be exhibiting lack of "common sense" far more often, like in the case with the school event.
Old 2010-09-25, 16:11   Link #7731
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
That was always one of the more damning things against C.C. That she knew the whole time the truth of what happened to Marianne. Watching as Lelouch went after his family in order to discover what happened to his mother and her real killer. All of this while C.C. was in contact with Marianne

Though, that doesn't mean that C.C. know for a fact just who Marianne was in. Just that she was inhabiting another person and talking to her via the World of C. She did discover later in that battle at China that he was the pilot of the Modred, but couldn't see her.

I did finish writing a beginner's guide to the Code Geass series on an anime community site. It's pretty cool. Sort of a mixture of facebook/wikipedia/ANN. It's just odd how little response it's getting on the site. One jerk is even mocking all of Code Geass. Can you believe this person compared it to the Xena series? I'd tell you where you could read it, but I'm unsure if that kind of link would be inappropriate.
Old 2010-09-25, 18:33   Link #7732
Betteroffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxFireArt View Post
That was always one of the more damning things against C.C. That she knew the whole time the truth of what happened to Marianne. Watching as Lelouch went after his family in order to discover what happened to his mother and her real killer. All of this while C.C. was in contact with Marianne.
This part really bothered me as well. I had hoped that there would be some reason for all of this, and I would like to believe that there was one in the original plans, and that the infamous timeslot change can be blamed for what we got, but it's anyone's guess.

In truth I think C.C. came off as a bit colder in R2, but I attribute this more to Unfortunate Implications and careless writing than actual intent on the writers' part.
Old 2010-09-25, 18:59   Link #7733
azul120

I believe it's all because C. C. only cared about having her contract fulfilled so she could pass on her code, and of course, Lelouch ended up a pawn in said plan.
Old 2010-09-25, 20:34   Link #7734
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
I believe it's all because C. C. only cared about having her contract fulfilled so she could pass on her code, and of course, Lelouch ended up a pawn in said plan.
Spoiler for C.C's emotions at last episode:
Old 2010-09-25, 20:42   Link #7735
Betteroffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
True, but in such instances a character usually undergoes some measure of growth into a more compassionate individual as the plot progresses. In the first season, C.C. was aloof, standoffish and secretive, but there were glimpses into something deeper, or at least room for the audience to assume the possibility. She left Lelouch to face Mao, saying she would terminate their contract but "let" Lelouch keep his Geass, and went so far as to give him a measure of comfort after the SAZ massacre, suggesting that she may be warming to Lelouch and/or not as selfish as she lets on (though giving a power like Geass to a 7 year old Mao is dancing on the Moral Event Horizon for me).

R2 comes along and she infiltrates Ashford just to get Cheese-kun back, thereby jeoporadizing not only Lelouch, but Nunally as well, makes no effort to seek out or help Lelouch in Turn 7, leaving it to Kallen, and even talking with Marianne, saying that she was unconcerned about the BK being finished without Lelouch so long as her contract is fulfilled (i.e.: "Me > All of Japan"), abandons Lelouch by sealing her Code away (confirmed by Marianne) even when she knew the predicament he was currently in and that he didn't hate her for all she had done thus far.

Admittedly C.C. does seem to have the afforementioned growth and seems to be at least a happier person by the series end, but it didn't feel well handled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Spoiler for C.C's emotions at last episode:
It wasn't. Lelouch is dead. Word of God has stated that he is dead. C.C. was presumably crying for him since she knew he was going to his death.
Old 2010-09-26, 14:20   Link #7736
Cephei Mordred
Lord Knight of SYTOM

Now, there would have been an interesting ending...

CC sabotaging the Zero Requiem by somehow forcing Lelouch to take her code.

It would go along with all that stuff you just said, right?
Old 2010-09-26, 15:20   Link #7737
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Well, personally, I'm fine with how the C.C. issue was handled. She's lived for several centuries only wishing for death, so warming up to Lelouch seems rather insignificant in comparison. She cared about Mao, too, but ultimately dropped him. Lelouch is different because he is both self-reliant and strangely kind, but C.C. knows that people can change, so amongst other things, she needed to see more of him first. She also seemed to have a good relationship with Marianne.

But how was she supposed to approach the subject anyway? "By the way, your mother, whose death you've been wanting to avenge for longer than we've known each other, is really alive in another person's body and thinks you're hilarious"? Let's say Lelouch would have believed her and not gone into denial, C.C. could not possibly know what he'd do next. Go mad like Mao? Start hating everything? Jump off a cliff? Hesitate long enough that the Black Knights are destroyed?

Chances were it would harm both Lelouch and her plans.

The sealing away her Code thing was random, though. Then again, she's lived for so long that she's allowed to be a little random.
Old 2010-09-26, 16:20   Link #7738
Cephei Mordred
Lord Knight of SYTOM

Yeah...I think with Mao it was merely a stupid, extremely costly mistake and not neccesarily a Moral Event Horizon. And Nogitsune makes a good point about not telling Lelouch.

As for the sealing way, wasn't it so that Charles couldn't take her code, possibly because 1. She wanted Lelouch to have it, and/or 2. Giving him her code would cause Instrumentality?
Old 2010-09-26, 17:02   Link #7739
azul120

Probably so Lelouch could fulfill her wish to smile.

Really though, informing Lelouch about Marianne could have saved a LOT of trouble.
Old 2010-09-26, 17:08   Link #7740
Cephei Mordred
Lord Knight of SYTOM

Are you saying that you would have taken the information in stride?

Even if you could, could you honestly be sure if Lelouch could, or if anyone else could?