AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-26, 18:48   Link #1
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
The Fansubbing Articles of Confederation

To all to whom these Presents shall come, we the undersigned Delegates of the Groups affixed to our Names send greeting. Whereas the Delegates of the Fansub Community assembled did on the twenty-sixth day of February in the Year of our Lord Two Thousand and Six

Article I. The Style of this Confederacy shall be "The Confederation of Interdependent Fansub Groups".

Article II. Each group retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this Confederation expressly delegated to the community, in Congress assembled.

Article III. The said groups hereby severally enter into a firm league of friendship with each other, for their common defense, the security of their liberties, and their mutual and general welfare, binding themselves to assist each other, against all force offered to, or attacks made upon them, or any of them, on account of religion, sovereignty, trade, or any other pretense whatever.

Article IV. The better to secure and perpetuate mutual friendship and intercourse among the people of the different groups in this community, the free inhabitants of each of these groups, leechers, trolls, and traitors from justice excepted, shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of free citizens in the several groups; and the people of each group shall free ingress and regress to and from any other group, and shall enjoy therein all the privileges of trade and commerce, subject to the same duties, impositions, and restrictions as the inhabitants thereof respectively, provided that such restrictions shall not extend so far as to prevent the removal of property imported into any group, to any other group, of which the owner is an inhabitant; provided also that no imposition, duties or restriction shall be laid by any group, on the property of the fansub community, or either of them.
Old 2006-02-26, 19:04   Link #2
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi

Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
What in the world is this? I am confused. We have no government, no economy, no international recognition, and we're illegal to boot.
Old 2006-02-26, 19:09   Link #3
Starks
*Scanlator

While it does make sense on paper, the concept is hazy, I'm basically trying to show how childish Lythka is being. Fansubbing groups do not answer to any higher authority that governs who subs what and when. Groups will do their own thing and assemble en masse only when emergencies necessitate action as a community.

The fansubbing community can be loosely described as a Confederation of Interdependent Fansub Groups. We help each other and sub on our own terms.
Old 2006-02-26, 19:19   Link #4
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi

Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
No need to give a name to the obvious, but whatever floats your boat.
Old 2006-02-26, 19:22   Link #5
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks
While it does make sense on paper, the concept is hazy, I'm basically trying to show how childish Lythka is being. Fansubbing groups do not answer to any higher authority that governs who subs what and when. Groups will do their own thing and assemble en masse only when emergencies necessitate action as a community.

The fansubbing community can be loosely described as a Confederation of Interdependent Fansub Groups. We help each other and sub on our own terms.
LOLOLOLOLOOLOOLOLOL

Lythka might be childish, but this is retarded.
Old 2006-02-26, 19:25   Link #6
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J. D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run out of the house with a big washtub and... hey! Where are you going?

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah. I used my washtub that morning to clean my turkey, which back then was called a 'walking bird'. We had walking bird on Thanksgiving with cranberry sauce, Injun eyes, and yams stuffed with gunpowder. We also sat around and watched football, which back then was called baseball.
Old 2006-02-26, 19:25   Link #7
Tommy Feb6
Lonely in Gorgeous, Yeah~

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDOS_GRANDE
Lythka might be childish, but this is retarded.

Not much else to add to that.
Old 2006-02-26, 19:29   Link #8
Starks
*Scanlator

This topic wasn't meant to be a serious effort to bring about change.

But my message is clear: NO PERSON OR GROUP MAY ARBITRARILY INTERFERE WITH THE DECISION MAKING PROCESS OF ANOTHER GROUP.
Old 2006-02-26, 19:37   Link #9
ruinevil

Thumbs down Fail

WTF.... a government... one group can comment all it wants about another group... they still can't control the decision process of the other group.
Old 2006-02-26, 19:42   Link #10
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruinevil
WTF.... a government... one group can comment all it wants about another group... they still can't control the decision process of the other group.
Keep in mind, I made the original post as a joke to mock Lythka's attempt to exert restrictions on the community.

But in answer to your question, yes. Fansub groups are subject to constructive criticism.
Old 2006-02-26, 19:52   Link #11
LytHka
Banned

Quote:
Keep in mind, I made the original post as a joke to mock Lythka's attempt to exert restrictions on the community.
OK, can you please elaborate what kind of restrictions have I ever proposed? What kind of restrictions do you think I have in mind? Do you actually believe that I wish to excercise some kind of power in this community? I'm just a fucking timer with a vision of better cooperation/communication between fansubbers, for crying out loud.
Old 2006-02-26, 19:54   Link #12
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
OK, can you please elaborate what kind of restrictions have I ever proposed? What kind of restrictions do you think I have in mind? Do you actually believe that I wish to excercise some kind of power in this community? I'm just a fucking timer with a vision of better cooperation/communication between fansubbers, for crying out loud.
The community does fine as it is.

Frankly, I don't care who you are. I've come along way since I dropped my previous IRC aliases (Onii-chan and Kouga-kun).

Yeah and I'm just a fucking raw provider with a little common sense. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I doubt you have the resources, clout, or broad support to do what you plan to do. The delicate balance between the competitive spirit of the community and the comraderie between groups should not be disrupted.

Last edited by Starks; 2006-02-26 at 20:05.
Old 2006-02-26, 19:56   Link #13
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
This topic wasn't meant to be a serious effort to bring about change.

But my message is clear: NO PERSON OR GROUP MAY ARBITRARILY INTERFERE WITH THE DECISION MAKING PROCESS OF ANOTHER GROUP.
There is a paradox here.

Aren't you arbitrarily interfering with the decision making process of another group by telling them not to interfere with the decision making process of another group?

Edit: OR IS THIS DIFFERENT BECAUE IT'S FOR THE GOOD OF THE COMMUNITY LOL.
Old 2006-02-26, 20:03   Link #14
ruinevil

Fascism FTW!!
Old 2006-02-26, 20:09   Link #15
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome
There is a paradox here.

Aren't you arbitrarily interfering with the decision making process of another group by telling them not to interfere with the decision making process of another group?

Edit: OR IS THIS DIFFERENT BECAUE IT'S FOR THE GOOD OF THE COMMUNITY LOL.
"The good of the community" is not clearly defined. It's completely subjective.
Old 2006-02-26, 20:16   Link #16
LytHka
Banned

Quote:
The community does fine as it is.
It could do much better. BTW, I should elaborate that the vision of fansubbing with little oversubbing is not mine at all, I'm just repeating what's been said over and over again by fansubbing veterans who just know what kind of waste oversubbing really is.

And I've asked you a few questions. Care to answer them and tell us what brought you to those constructive ideas? Or should everybody else just believe in them blindly?

P.S.: I'm surprised that most of you haven't noticed a very huge authority in the fansubbing world which is acknowledged by those who wish to acknowledge it. For that authority, people don't sub Media Factory series, people don't do licensed anime because in a way, it influences a torrent's DL numbers. Having a relationship with that authority is completely voluntary and it comes with a benefit or two.
If you truly think that I'm putting together any kind of organisation (which I'm not), you can still imagine it in your own little head as something with voluntary participation.
Old 2006-02-26, 20:28   Link #17
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
It could do much better. BTW, I should elaborate that the vision of fansubbing with little oversubbing is not mine at all, I'm just repeating what's been said over and over again by fansubbing veterans who just know what kind of waste oversubbing really is.

I never said it wasn't a problem. Groups will drop as a series progresses.

And I've asked you a few questions. Care to answer them and tell us what brought you to those constructive ideas? Or should everybody else just believe in them blindly?

P.S.: I'm surprised that most of you haven't noticed a very huge authority in the fansubbing world which is acknowledged by those who wish to acknowledge it. For that authority, people don't sub Media Factory series, people don't do licensed anime because in a way, it influences a torrent's DL numbers. Having a relationship with that authority is completely voluntary and it comes with a benefit or two.

True, playing by the "rules" of fansubbing does have its pros and cons. Whether or not those rules are followed is a voluntary choice made by a group. The groups that deviate from those "rules" are doing so at their own risk.

If you truly think that I'm putting together any kind of organized organ (which I'm not), you can still imagine it in your own little head as something with voluntary participation.

According to Lythka: The deal is for us guys to start communicating more, no matter what quality standard we work on or what kind of ethics we follow...[A] fansubber needs to stop being selfish, no matter how much he/she loves or anticipates a show. If it's popular, don't worry, you'll get to see it translated, just without your help.
How can you expect this of groups. Not all groups are open about their projects and ambitions.

Edit: It can also stifle the formation of new groups that want to start with a popular series. Maybe they want to do a better job than an older, more recognized group.
Old 2006-02-26, 20:35   Link #18
Draders
... :D

Quote:
Having a relationship with that authority is completely voluntary and it comes with a benefit or two.
What benefits, whether you decided to sub media factory series or not doesn't really change anything, and what does torrent download numbers matter. If they did we all oversub the popular series to get more.
Old 2006-02-26, 20:42   Link #19
Starks
*Scanlator

Heavily subbed series do tend to be most popular and most likely to be licensed and brought overseas.

Also, the only exert of authority over the fansub community is the "Cease and Desist".

The issue at hand isn't ethics. That's a completely different debate.
Old 2006-02-26, 20:46   Link #20
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome
Ya know, you picked a bad name... the Articles of Confederation was crappy so the next summer the delegates re-gethered and came up with the Constitution.
Yeah, and the creation of that constitution was technically done illegally.