AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2015-09-01, 05:22   Link #1
Roabie

Something similar to Akatsuki no Yona?

But not quite as immature, I guess. I'm not really one for cheesy comedy relief and all the naive attitudes displayed by the characters("We can do anything if we stay positive/together!", you know?). I'd also prefer a more independent female lead, who is more in charge of herself and capable of defending and fighting. I liked the idea of the story and how it was presenting itself for the first three episodes, but it got a bit too childish after that in most scenes. The only other part that really got to me was Yona's first kill.

So, if you don't know what AnY is, I'll put a bulletin list of what I'm trying to look for.

• A female lead that's badass in some aspect, whether it's her demeanor or fighting prowess. Preferably the latter, but if she's cunning and can intimidate people with it that'd be cool. She can be young(teenaged) or more mature.
• Feudal era-ish, or in a fictional world that mimics an older period of time. Can have fantasy elements.
• A more serious atmosphere. Characters aren't overly silly or cutesy in how they act most of the time. I can handle it in small doses, but it's a bit obnoxious if it's constant.
• It has a fairly strong plot. If it's short and is one of those types that ends in a way that you need to read the manga to know more, I'll still look into it. I just don't want something that's completely episodic with its plot.

I'll be looking into Moribito, but I'm still looking for things like this. I've also already seen the following:
Juuni Kokuki
Fushigi Yuugi
Claymore (probably the only one of these I finished and enjoyed)
Saiunkoku Monogatari (a little too slow for me, and while the main character didn't fully fit what I was looking for, the overall theme is close to what I wanted so I just wanted to get this out of the way)

Please and thank you xP. Trying to get back into anime and these characteristics are what I'm looking for. If you know a manga that has these characteristics but was never adapted, that's perfectly fine.

Last edited by Roabie; 2015-09-01 at 06:02.
Roabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-01, 08:31   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Moribito should definitely fit your needs. You can also try Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, another adaptation by I.G and the NHK of a novel by anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko. It streams legally on Crunchyroll as just "Erin," but the fansub from Static has better translations.

I'm a big fan of Saiunkoku and Kuwashima Houko (who also voiced Clare), but I can understand why you might find it slow.

The Hakuoki series is based on an otome game for girls about a young woman who ends up working with the Shinsengumi. Another role for Kuwashima, but they didn't give her much to do, and she's not an action character.

There's always the Miyazaki film Mononoke Hime. San is pretty much the character you're looking for as well.

The currently-airing Rokka no Yuusha has the type of character and setting you're looking for, but it's more a psychological mystery than an action show.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2015-09-01 at 08:43.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-01, 09:39   Link #3
oompa loompa

scrapped princess. that is all
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-10, 15:24   Link #4
kitten320

Seirei No Morbito is totally a must. You'll love it.

Akame ga Kill is something you could chack out. While it is a male MC, Akame herself plays big role in series and appears a lot. It's a fantasy world but does look more of an older period. do admit anime fucked up the last several episodes... but still something you could check out in a free time. Manga differs and is still ongoing, pretty much same mess up as with Claymore ending.
There are comedy bits, but over all pretty dark.

Have you tried watching Fate series? While it is based in modern age, all of the main cast are ancient heroes like knights, kinds, magicians and etc. Proper dark with almost no humour.

Have you tried Inuyasha? Fits quiet well too, though does poses comedy and silly moments.

Hmm... Romeo x Juliet, maybe? Not exactly bad ass but Juliet is more bad ass than in original
Old 2015-09-14, 21:37   Link #5
Shana

I say you try Cross Ange. It aired the same season as Yona. While I think Yona's anime adaptation was very smooth, her transformation felt forced for me (I liked manga-Yona better, sigh). Either way, the premise is the same: The princess' mother dies, leading to the empire's downfall and her exile. She becomes a badass, and faces the world's dilemma head-on.

She is spoiled and a brat at first but that's soon forgotten. It's sort of an NGE meets Code Geass and then they meet Simoun. I have to say it's not the maturity fest Yona is, but still proves to be amazing.