AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Notices

Old 2005-12-21, 11:58   Link #121
Ilpalazzo-sama

Okay, a lot of ppl might disagree with me, but Akane Maniax is one of the WORST animes I've EVER seen. After watching 6 minutes of the first episode i was about to stop it and forget it forever, but i managed to watch thru. As much as KGNE one of my very favorite animes, and maybe it is my top 1 "depressing anime" (with AIR and Saikano)...Akane Maniax seriously sucked. Especially Jouji. They tried to combine comedy and drama somehow, but it turned out horrible...i gave it 2/10, one point cause it is related to KGNE and one point cause we get to know a tiny bit of KGNE's afterlife.
Ilpalazzo-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 20:14   Link #122
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpalazzo-sama
Okay, a lot of ppl might disagree with me, but Akane Maniax is one of the WORST animes I've EVER seen. After watching 6 minutes of the first episode i was about to stop it and forget it forever, but i managed to watch thru. As much as KGNE one of my very favorite animes, and maybe it is my top 1 "depressing anime" (with AIR and Saikano)...Akane Maniax seriously sucked. Especially Jouji. They tried to combine comedy and drama somehow, but it turned out horrible...i gave it 2/10, one point cause it is related to KGNE and one point cause we get to know a tiny bit of KGNE's afterlife.
I actually agree with you, except that episode 1 was certainly tolerable. But it wasn't quite so tolerable after I saw episode 3 and saw how horribly it had gone. If they had actually done good with Akamani, than episode 1 would be tolerable, but alas, they did not do a good job with it, so it sucks.
Old 2005-12-21, 21:18   Link #123
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
I think more people will agree with you than you think. I certainly do, I only watched the episodes to see more Akane and the few vaguely serious moments that appeared every so often (Akane deleting the number from her phone in Episode 1 and Haruka's appearance in Episode 2 being highlights for me) and wasn't too happy with the series as a whole. Jouji didn't really help this... in fact he was probably the cause of it. I couldn't help but sympathise with him after Akane rejected him in Episode 3 though, the way it was phrased was just harsh

I think one of the problems it had, apart from Jouji being really annoying, was highlighted in your post. It succeeded Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. So many of the people who wanted a comedy would be put off by it succeeding KGNE, and those that watched KGNE, enjoyed it, and wanted to see more of their favourite characters were put off by the overall tone of Maniax, which was completely different. Of course, I like both genres and didn't like Maniax... but I suppose that's where Jouji comes into it. He was too eccentric to be likeable.

Either way, I want Muvluv. Now >.>
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 16:18   Link #124
umeboshi_onigiri

R2 Japan DVD Art Box

The art box included with the first press edition of vol. 3 has room for four DVD-volumes. I did get the first press edition of vol. 2 and 3, but the regular edition of vol. 1.

What I wonder is why there is room for four volumes in the art box. Was there an extra DVD included with the first press edition of vol. 1?
umeboshi_onigiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 01:11   Link #125
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Wasn't that the disc that had the audio selection and the awesome parody videos? I still have KGNE Alternative on my computer. It's hilarious. Or maybe that wasn't until vol 5
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 00:46   Link #126
Selic

Is KGNE Alternative the mecha parody?
Selic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 16:32   Link #127
Panky

Seeing that this thread is somewhat dead, i wanted to place something that i have placed in the Q&A Thread and has relation with this :

I wanted to ask if you think that Akane Maniax is a continuation of Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien or it is what happens in the middle of the things.

Why I say this ? Because in KimiNozo Akane looks a lot more older than in the OVA's. In the OVA's she asks Takayuki to come to see her sister, so it can't be more than some days when she left ( and actually the really ending of Kiminozo happened some time later). The strange thing is that Akane said that she was going to travel i don't remember where because of her dreams, but in Kiminozo doesn't. What do you think?
Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 19:16   Link #128
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Actually Akane asks Takayuki to see her (if I remember right), but at this point AFTER KGNE Takayuki does not want to have anymore contact with H&A.

This sorta goes with the Akane Path. She harbors secret love to Takayuki but cannot express it and closes off. It take Gouda to open her up and the 2nd Semester opens (At the end of the 3rd Episode) with Muv Luv.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 20:27   Link #129
aikming

Quote:

Dont worry... a lot of people would agree with you. the mech part was crap. They should remove the mecha part and also replace the stupid guy.
Old 2006-09-12, 00:42   Link #130
Panky

Quote:
Actually Akane asks Takayuki to see her (if I remember right), but at this point AFTER KGNE Takayuki does not want to have anymore contact with H&A.
Yeah, that's so, she won't tell him to come and see her 2 years later, and she looks way too older compared to the OVA in the serie, or i'm wrong? That's why i think it isn't a continuation and it's the "middle things".

Quote:
Quote:

Dont worry... a lot of people would agree with you. the mech part was crap. They should remove the mecha part and also replace the stupid guy.
Too many people think that because they have seen a drama and those OVA's weren't even near a drama. That's why, drama and comedy can't go together in these cases, and you may think that this is as Kiminozo, but it won't. And i don't know really how is MuvLuv, never played the game or something, but it seems as a mecha serie, and that would be an ""imaginary introduction"" :P. Who knows. See ya.
Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 02:37   Link #131
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

I loved Godain. It was an awesome Mazinkaiser pardoy. Gouda is Seki Tomokazu at his hot-blooded best.
dodgethis_sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 03:37   Link #132
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

is this going to be included as part of the US release?
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 03:43   Link #133
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
is this going to be included as part of the US release?
No... Akane Maniax is sort of a spin-off type sequel to KgNE, and wouldn't be/isn't part of the same licensing agreement. However, if KgNE sells well (and the fans demand it), I'm sure they'd consider licensing this OVA.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 11:33   Link #134
xF e t u s
Otaku

Send a message via AIM to xF e t u s
Yeah I finished it and to be honest, it was quite weird.
I liked Kimi ga alot more. But~
seeing more behind the scenes to the first isn't so bad.
So in a way I like the OVA.
xF e t u s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 11:39   Link #135
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post

This sorta goes with the Akane Path. She harbors secret love to Takayuki but cannot express it and closes off. It take Gouda to open her up and the 2nd Semester opens (At the end of the 3rd Episode) with Muv Luv.
but even though Gauda helped her, she didn't answer his feelings, which I think sucked. I am surprised I was rooting for Gouda considering the type of guy he was.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 15:52   Link #136
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
It was a hillarious OVA! I'm laughted of my mind on it...the last time when i laught that many when i read the first time the to love-ru manga.
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 17:52   Link #137
Nerroth
NePoi!

Before I give my thoughts on AM, I should give a few clarifications.

First of all, my entry into the wider setting was through my recently picking up the Figma take on Mitsurugi Meiya - which is a great figure, by the way!

Rather than working forward through KimiNozo and onwards, I've been working back from a starting point including Muv-Luv Alternative, Total Eclipse and The Euro Front, then looking further into the various works which lead up to (and in the case of Altered Fable, follow up from) that threefold point in the wider setting.

So, when looking at AM, I was looking as much to see the steps leading towards the Muv-tiverse as anything.

Secondly, though I've pretty much spoiled myself over Kiminozo by now, I haven't had a chance to watch the series itself yet. So, AM was my first glimpse at the likes of Akane, too.

Thirdly, when I hear Tomokazu Seki, my first point of reference is to a certain eiyuu-ou, as opposed to other characters he has voiced in his career thus far.

Although, I have to say, despite my typical antipathy towards that particular 2/3rds god (with a slight exception made for the less devious version seen in PSP-based spinoffs) I wouldn't have minded seeing Jouji go all Gouda-mesh and use the Gate of Babylon against 'Iresoryuta' - to show that zasshu the folly of daring to claim himself a king!

Or to take a moment to stop and think about the moments he finds himself in, and realise the times in which he's actually doing more to help - or to harm - for Akane.

On the one hand, I really felt for Akane in this one. Trying to come to terms with the emotional baggage she had built up was never going to be easy - though one of my pet hates in any kind of fictional work is the idea that if you lose out on this or that person at such-and-such an age, that's it for you in terms of finding 'true love', even if the person you're trying to get over is not as good (for you or in his or her own right) as someone you may meet somewhere down the line.

Life doesn't work that way - or, at least, it doesn't for some.

Thankfully, though Gouda-not-mesh totally missed the point, he gave Akane the kind of help she needed in order to try and move towards that. One day, if/when she meets someone with whom she really can have a prosperous future together - the kind in which both partners work to help each other succeed in all aspects of their lives, both as individuals and as a couple - she is far more likely to be able to take that chance.

The kind of chance, incidentally, she may have never found, had she ended up with Taka-baka herself.

(I'm finding it hard to like that guy, in either form.)

When it comes to the Muv-Luv side of things, I have to admit that I almost didn't notice who Takeru was until it was pointed out near the end. The poor guy was totally overshadowed by Gouda-not-mesh, though it would be interesting to see if the later Takeru draws anything from the experience when he goes on his own unique quest.

I don't know too much yet on what to make of Takeru, but then I tend not to be too empathetic towards characters in his kind of lead-male-protagonist role. Or maybe it's how rare it is to have an actual variety of capable male characters, or at least those with whom it would not be a logistical nightmare for one or more of the female leads to develop a relationship.

(Ah, that reminds me - go watch Ristorante Paradiso! Now there's an example of a show with a great ensemble cast, male and female, and manages to show how each have lives of their own as well as the group-time they share with the others. Shame I'd probably not be able to eat much at the Casetta dell'Orso...)

Of the other Muv-Luvvers, there are a few glimpses here and there - though I have to say, for the few seconds she is on-screen, Meiya totally steals the show for me.

(For the attentions of a lady like that, Takeru really better be up for the job! Although, hopefully, she is not saddled with the male-lead-or-spinster-forever illness, regardless of which timeline she's in...)

And speaking of Muv-Luv, part of me wonders if the Gouda in other timelines has a Senjutsuki which has a design and colour scheme echoing that of Goudain... or a Tekkaman-esque flight suit!

That would be awesome.

So yeah - I really liked AM!

Yay.
Old 2010-07-27, 09:45   Link #138
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It was very nice to see Akane get her own anime series, and Gouda was a very amusing character that I found easy to root for while still managing to crack up over most of his over-the-top attempts backfiring, but I actually felt kind of bad for the guy in the end.

All of his insane hard work to win her over, and he comes soooooo very close to doing so, only to fail because Akane is still harboring feelings for a guy she has zilch chance with.

I also loathe it when one character turns down another for this reason. It's just so sad, because those harbored feelings are going to amount to nothing, whereas the other character standing right there in front of you...

When you really think about it, the sheer number of people that Takayuki managed to severely hurt either directly, or indirectly, is rather impressive...

Not only all the girls that were interested in him, but also all the guys that were interested in Akane who she turned down because she couldn't get over Takayuki, and this is especially true for Gouda.
Old 2012-08-19, 11:28   Link #139
Ray
Garnet

Akane was one of the characters I hated most in Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, but I started liking her a lot after a certain point, so it was neat to see her get her own series. Plus, even if this OVA wasn't all that good, I still enjoyed it; it was so awesome to see the Muv Luv cast in anime form, especially Meiya, Takeru, and Sumika. God, I love those three.

Images
Episode 1-3 freebies
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
âge, comedy, ova, romance, seinen