AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-06, 21:36   Link #1
Haladflire65
*Artist

My Ideal Anime?

I've watched several anime for the past year, my first time ever watching properly, really. These are my favourites so far, and their reasons: (not in order)

1. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
I mainly like this anime because I'm a fan of the manga... The action looks great, the voice acting's also good, and the story's intelligent and compelling, with great characters, that aren't all teenagers that are saving the world. I love the adult characters of this anime, like Roy Mustag and Riza Hawkeye.

2. Kuroshitsuji
I loved the interaction between Ciel and Sebastian. The animation was great, with attention to detail and interesting action, with quirky characters and decent original story, with some amount of brain required. CIel and Sebastian are two really good characters...

3. Gundam 00 (seasons 1, mainly)
Mainly, the animation is awesome. The mobile suits looked so great. This was my first time watching Gundam, and I enjoyed every moment of it. The political elements added to the realistic air; the fights were great and I liked the relationships between the meisters. Also the characters were mature and compelling - I liked how they were all adults. (except Setsuna, who pretty much acts like one)

4. Natsume Yuujin-chou and Zoku Natsume Yuujin-chou
I like the relaxing air of this anime; the interactions between Natsume and Nyanko sensei, as well as Natsume and other human and non-human characters were sometimes so touching.

5. Darker than BLACK
I'm still in the middle of this one, but I really like the characters already, as well as the setup, action, dialogue and story so far.

Can you look at these and recommend some more anime I might like?
Old 2009-08-06, 22:31   Link #2
qwertyuiopz

birdy the mighty decode
Old 2009-08-07, 00:27   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If you liked Natsume Yuujinchou, hard to imagine you won't like Mushishi. It's harder edged and less emotional, but still involving and absolutely beautifully done. Episodic in nature and the stories are great, and the main character is one of the best ever.
Old 2009-08-07, 02:10   Link #4
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
3. Gundam 00 (seasons 1, mainly)
Mainly, the animation is awesome. The mobile suits looked so great. This was my first time watching Gundam, and I enjoyed every moment of it. The political elements added to the realistic air; the fights were great and I liked the relationships between the meisters. Also the characters were mature and compelling - I liked how they were all adults. (except Setsuna, who pretty much acts like one)
Well season 1 of Gundam 00 was pretty unique in its own right. It was surprisingly good and refreshing for a Gundam series. Too bad season 2 turned out to be one of the greatest train wrecks I've ever seen. How Sunrise could drop the ball so badly is mystifying to me.

That being the case, you'll want to check out Code Geass. Since both were produced by Sunrise, I'm sure you'll enjoy Code Geass just as much if not more.
Old 2009-08-07, 02:45   Link #5
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

If you like intelligence and politics, which I gathered a little bit from your descriptions, you might like Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion.
Old 2009-08-07, 05:10   Link #6
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
If you liked Natsume Yuujinchou, hard to imagine you won't like Mushishi. It's harder edged and less emotional, but still involving and absolutely beautifully done. Episodic in nature and the stories are great, and the main character is one of the best ever.
I second Mushishi, I but I disagree with Enzo. Mushishi is even more powerful emotionally compared to Natsume. The episodic nature does nothing to lessen that emotional intensity of different characters and situations. The continuation of the journey revolving around Ginko and his past brings out his poignancy in a great emotional punch when.... but you'll have to see for yourself. Mushishi is also heavy in the use of symbolism, which adds another wonderful dimension to the mood and atmosphere being created.

By the way, the animation is superb, and each episode has its own unique music.

You might also want to try Pandora Hearts. It has a similar gothic feel to Kuroshitsuji. Different story, but more mysterious with great characters.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-08-07, 06:34   Link #7
Moresca
Doing the time-warp

After reading the descriptions of what you liked so far, I surmised that you prefer your characters acting in a reasonable and more adult way and appreciate a coherent plot, good storytelling and character-interaction - preferably not limited to teenagers saving the universe. And a little action as sugar-coating.

Let's see. Have you watched Samurai Champloo? Although it seems to start out episodic the plot develops and deepens over the course of time, the lead characters are quirky and lovable, the story can be outright funny, thoughtful or serious. The cast is solidly portrayed, character interaction is great, the (sword-) fights are gorgeously animated and choreographed and the anime also offers a fabulous soundtrack.

Second one I want to recommend is Last Exile. Even if the leads are teenagers and try to save their world in some way. The plot gets a bit frayed towards the end but this is somewhat outweighed by the serious eye-candy this anime offers. Especially the air-fights are simply gorgeous to watch. Very nice opening song it got too.

And because I cannot stop myself from repeating it endlessly, I again suggest the awesomeness that is Witch Hunter Robin. Great story with elements of thriller, mystery, fantasy. Great, deeply developed characters, awesome OP and ED and very nice artwork for an "older" series (2002).
Old 2009-08-07, 21:27   Link #8
devildog23
Summerlurking

It looks like you enjoy good character interaction mixed with some heavy atmosphere type scenes, kind of like me.

Here are some I think you may like.

Monster - AMAZING plot and has some great characters. Dark and mysterious with a heavy air around it. Mature, and guaranteed to entertain. 74 episodes of non-stop powerful story telling with great character interaction. Probably my top pick for you.

Fate/Stay Night - One of my favorites. I really enjoyed the interactions of the main characters. The plot is kind of cliche (Beat everybody and save the word-ish), but I assure you its a mature series with strong plot.

Black Lagoon - Good series overall. Really enjoyable characters and interactions between them.

Ghost Hound - Strong intelligent plot. Really eerie sometimes. Only thing is that the characters are all very young. However it is still a very mature series.

Give it a shot...

Karas - Plot is sacrificed for flashy fight scenes, but the atmosphere is similar to Darker than Black.
Claymore
Old 2009-08-08, 09:13   Link #9
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Starblazers would be great for you. If you can tolerate the 1970's animation and occasional cheesiness.

You also probably really like Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid. However, to understand what is going on you'd have to watch the 1st season of Full Metal Panic first, which I think you'd find okay, so it's not like you'd have to sit through something you don't like to get to some good stuff, just that the first season isn't as good as The Second Raid. Full Metal Panic: Fumuffu!~ is a comedy season of side stories that take place between the first season and The Second Raid, and so can be skipped if you want to as nothing is necessary in there for the future plot progression. (Still pretty funny though).
Old 2009-08-08, 15:11   Link #10
Haladflire65
*Artist

I think I'd like to see Code Geass... It's so damn popular, I got curious about it... But I don't think I'd have time to see both seasons. Would it be good enough to just watch the first? Or is the second followable without pre-viewing? Help!

Also I'm interested in Monster, Mushishi, Samurai Shamploo, to name a few... Thanks so much for all the great suggestions!
Old 2009-08-08, 15:13   Link #11
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
I second Mushishi, I but I disagree with Enzo. Mushishi is even more powerful emotionally compared to Natsume. The episodic nature does nothing to lessen that emotional intensity of different characters and situations. The continuation of the journey revolving around Ginko and his past brings out his poignancy in a great emotional punch when.... but you'll have to see for yourself. Mushishi is also heavy in the use of symbolism, which adds another wonderful dimension to the mood and atmosphere being created.

By the way, the animation is superb, and each episode has its own unique music.

You might also want to try Pandora Hearts. It has a similar gothic feel to Kuroshitsuji. Different story, but more mysterious with great characters.
listen to this guy...
Old 2009-08-08, 15:21   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Well season 1 of Gundam 00 was pretty unique in its own right. It was surprisingly good and refreshing for a Gundam series. Too bad season 2 turned out to be one of the greatest train wrecks I've ever seen. How Sunrise could drop the ball so badly is mystifying to me.

That being the case, you'll want to check out Code Geass. Since both were produced by Sunrise, I'm sure you'll enjoy Code Geass just as much if not more.
Didn't like the Magical GN Fairy Dust, eh?

I didn't think Gundam 00's second season was even remotely half as bad as Code Geass R2. Wasn't as good as the first season and did contain a significant quantity of things that made me twitch uncontrollably...

... but doesn't approach the various wallbangers concerning Schneizel in Code Geass R2. Not that R2 wasn't enjoyable--it was, but it was less so than Gundam 00's second season, at least from my point of view.

I really thought the best part of 00's second season was the Saji/Louise subplot. In the first season, it was so disconnected from the story, even including Nena Trinity's Ax Crazy tendencies and Kinue's death.

In season two, Louise becomes... strangely much more likable and less horribly annoying. And Saji manages to become far less likable, but gets more character development than just about any character in the damn show. His Crowning Moment of Awesome truly is awesome, you have to admit.

Don't let the Magical GN Pixie Dust ruin the good parts of 00's second season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
I think I'd like to see Code Geass... It's so damn popular, I got curious about it... But I don't think I'd have time to see both seasons. Would it be good enough to just watch the first? Or is the second followable without pre-viewing? Help!
Code Geass is hardly an ideal anime, but it's definitely worth watching. You don't have to marathon it, you know. ^^; You can play it real and watch one episode a week!

The first season is much better written and has less pacing problems than R2 does. You can watch R2 without the first season and still know what's going on, due to a timeslot change and Sunrise being forced to bring new viewers up to speed on the events of the series.
Old 2009-08-09, 01:35   Link #13
Plasma.

The thing about skipping straight too R2 is that there are many instances where there is a flashback to the first season. Because of this, you might get lost in the plot sometimes. The story in the first season is very well done, and the action in the second series is just amazing!
Old 2009-08-09, 09:24   Link #14
Saleh
Inactive

Seconding Mushishi.You might like Kemono no Souja Erin for its character interaction, Seirei no Moribito for its aesthetic appeal and xxxHolic for its similarities with Natsume Yuujinchou among other things.
Old 2009-08-09, 13:38   Link #15
Haladflire65
*Artist

Thanks a lot. Mushishi's a must, then...

Also, any manga suggestions, as well? I've only read FMA, Kuroshitsuji, Soul Eater, a bit of Death Note and Gintama. I forgot to post about it in my thread starter...
Old 2009-08-09, 14:13   Link #16
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Rurouni Kenshin is a fantastic manga. It's a few years old now, but don't be put off by that - it holds up great.
Closed Thread