Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-19, 23:49   Link #621
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Your post reminded me to mention that the girls in AO are much more attractive than the girls in E7 so far, aside from Eureka herself .

Edit: Also, Naru's father mentioned that Eureka brought "pain and misfortune", as the translation went, when she arrived. It probably has to do with the Mark I appearing 10 years ago and saving Naru.
Hmmm... Well, times have changed. Cuter girls maybe unnecessary to the plot, but they're a good bait for newcomers, and hopefully, it will also boost sales. lol.

Oh, and you forgot to include Anemone and Holland's partner in your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
The Mark 1 is the Nirvash. The coloring is different probably because the military re-colored it. The original color when it first appeared 10 years ago is the traditional white and red coloring. You see it for a split second in the episode.
Speaking of paint job, I really hope they keep the military colors for the Mark I.

It makes me wonder if the Generation Blue have other pilots other than those young girls... They're an internationally recognized organization formed to deal with Stabs and such, right? I can't help but raise my eyebrow if their only front line members are all teenagers.

Oh well, even if that is the case, I'll just play along. XD
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 23:58   Link #622
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Is it really? It didn't look the same to me. It only has one cockpit.

I don't know. Even with the eventual recoloring that was in the promo materials, it didn't look like the Nirvash.
It's the Nirvash in E7AO. Looking for direct connections to E7 will only leave you confused.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 23:58   Link #623
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Looking for connections to E7 will only leave you confused.
There are little references and strings here and there.
For once it seems like Bones know what they're doing.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 00:00   Link #624
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

It's most likely a recreation of the first Nirvash, since that is long gone. It's not the same Nirvash, which is evident from the design, but someone clearly had the Nirvash in mind when they made it.
Old 2012-04-20, 00:03   Link #625
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
It's the Nirvash in E7AO. Looking for direct connections to E7 will only leave you confused.
I'm definitely confused so far, so I guess you're right .

I guess I'll just sit back and enjoy the nice animation and the girls. It seems that characters outside of Generation Blue, the three guys in particular, are going to have important roles. Ignoring Ao's foster father, I wonder if the three guys will have more prominent roles or if most of the series will center around Ao and Naru with the Generation Blue guys. They don't appear at the end of the OP, so I'm wondering what their role is in the story.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 00:10   Link #626
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I wonder if the three guys will have more prominent roles or if most of the series will center around Ao and Naru with the Generation Blue guys. They don't appear at the end of the OP, so I'm wondering what their role is in the story.
They may become important side characters considering they're part of the group at the end of the OP if you look closely.

Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 00:17   Link #627
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
They may become important side characters considering they're part of the group at the end of the OP if you look closely.

Ahaha, I see. I didn't see them there, to be honest, since I was just looking at this one.
Old 2012-04-20, 00:24   Link #628
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
It's most likely a recreation of the first Nirvash, since that is long gone. It's not the same Nirvash, which is evident from the design, but someone clearly had the Nirvash in mind when they made it.
Though we have to note Nirvash went through several upgrades.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 00:32   Link #629
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Okay, this series is still in E7's shadow, but the new political stuff is sort of intriguing.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 00:32   Link #630
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Though we have to note Nirvash went through several upgrades.
Even the original didn't have those mouth gill things (a nice touch, I thought). This one melds elements of both the original and the upgrade. Since Fukai recognized the Nirvash, it stands to reason what happened to it in the last series probably sticks, so this can't be the same one.
Old 2012-04-20, 00:38   Link #631
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
There are little references and strings here and there.
For once it seems like Bones know what they're doing.
Yeah, the references and the imagery so far have been just enough to keep you wondering and guessing, but the story and characters are original and different enough to be enjoyable on their own. It's definitely interesting and refreshing, and I guess we'll see eventually if the references are just nods, or if there is a deeper connection.

For now it's best to enjoy it as a new show, without thinking too much about it. I think after 4-6 episodes or so, we can start making some conclusions if there is evidence which is building up. For example, in the OP, the Generation Bleu base looks a LOT like an abandoned Tower State from E7:

Spoiler:
Old 2012-04-20, 00:47   Link #632
aardvark

There's also quite a lot of scub formations around it
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 01:29   Link #633
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

Quote:
Yeah, the references and the imagery so far have been just enough to keep you wondering and guessing, but the story and characters are original and different enough to be enjoyable on their own. It's definitely interesting and refreshing, and I guess we'll see eventually if the references are just nods, or if there is a deeper connection.
Undoubtedly a deeper connection. Anyone who thinks Bones retconned the series needs to calm down and recall Bones is plenty capable of surprising storytelling and direction. Remember the alternate worlds mind-fuck they slowly built up and exposed near the end of the original Fullmetal Alchemist? Nobody expected that. Also - Rah Xephon. (I cite these two anime because Astral Ocean feels like a production from early Bones)
velocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 01:37   Link #634
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
Even the original didn't have those mouth gill things (a nice touch, I thought). This one melds elements of both the original and the upgrade. Since Fukai recognized the Nirvash, it stands to reason what happened to it in the last series probably sticks, so this can't be the same one.
Except Nirvash made a promise she'll be back.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 02:17   Link #635
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Damn, I'm not going to ITYS after two eps - but this was a fantastic start. The premiere was excellent, and this blew it out of the water.

So much was good here - visuals, music, Yuutaro's amazing performance, but they've actually managed to create a really interesting plot setup without using the original series as a crutch. And they have a great MC to build it around - Ao is a tough little bastard who isn't afraid to make a decision and deal with the consequences.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 02:21   Link #636
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Yuutaro is definitely the understated secret weapon of E7AO imo. I'm really surprised by his performance so far. Ao feels like a very natural character, and the way he emotes and talks makes the series feel very different from most other shows with a shounen lead, especially in mecha shows. Very refreshing.
Old 2012-04-20, 02:23   Link #637
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
And they have a great MC to build it around - Ao is a tough little bastard who isn't afraid to make a decision and deal with the consequences.
It's definitely a nice touch that he has to push himself to face his fears. He finds a nice middle ground between characters who do whatever they want and characters that are too afraid to do anything. He'll do what he needs to do, but like any normal person, that doesn't mean he won't be scared.
Old 2012-04-20, 02:34   Link #638
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Yuutaro is definitely the understated secret weapon of E7AO imo. I'm really surprised by his performance so far. Ao feels like a very natural character, and the way he emotes and talks makes the series feel very different from most other shows with a shounen lead, especially in mecha shows. Very refreshing.
I guess when you consider he was only 11 when he played Yango in Xam'd it shouldn't be that surprising. That was a really important role in the second cour, and he did a fine job with it. When he has one of those GAR moments riding the Nirvash into battle, his voice cracks in a way that an adult actor just can't fake.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 02:45   Link #639
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I really like how BONES tends to take risks with their lead castings from time to time. Even if it means that sometimes we end up with someone like Omigawa in Soul Eater. :P

It's nice that these days she gets cast in roles which seems to suit her voice a lot more, but goddamn her performance in Soul Eater was really annoying. >_<
Old 2012-04-20, 03:31   Link #640
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

My impression of episode 2 is the same as episode 1, this show doesn't just feel like the original, it is what happens after the finale episode of the first anime. This show manages to accurately capture the feeling of the watching the the original Erueka 7, even though if I look at it technically there isn't that many similarities (well, outside of many (many!) hints, winks and nudges in the the visuals and music in the show) but somehow I can't help but keep on feeling nostalgic for the first anime, even though I had watched it not long ago ^_^

Without being repetitive, this episode was excellent on all fronts. The music, visuals (fight choreography, background, characters etc.), voice acting were fantastic and deserve all the praise they are getting. The plot is certainly more interesting than how the original had started, thanks to the hints of the political complexities and how things had played out so far (though that might be a bit unfair to the first anime, since again this show has a 50 episode anime to build on, while the original had to start from scratch). I really loved the scenes with Ao, and I think that he might just end up being my favorite character in the show.

I will keep on saying that trying to figure out what the hell is going on and how does this show connects to the original is going to end in confusion. Sure, there are ''hints'' about this being a parallel world or whatever, but I seem to recall at some point during the first show where many had thought it was set in a parallel earth as well, only to be revealed that it was just our world post-alien invasion/10,000 years into the future. Not discouraging anyone from trying to figure out how to fit these pieces together, but I doubt you can make solve a 24 piece Jigsaw puzzle with only 2 pieces As far as I'm concerned, I'm going with the flow on my flying surfboard and seeing where the Trapar waves take me.

9 out of 10 for the second episode. Man, this is just awesome ...

Quote:
I really like how BONES tends to take risks with their lead castings from time to time. Even if it means that sometimes we end up with someone like Omigawa in Soul Eater. :P

It's nice that these days she gets cast in roles which seems to suit her voice a lot more, but goddamn her performance in Soul Eater was really annoying. >_<
Yeah, I agree with this. Trying to go for fresh blood is something that I support already on principle, but I think that with BONES shows especially it leaves a bit of room for surprise when an especially great performance comes around.

Omigawa I felt got a lot better as the show went on. I mean sure when she had first started her voice sounded like nails on a chalkboard most of the time, but by the end she improved a lot and I think managed to add more to Maka's personality. So I'd say it had more to do with it being her debut role and she was still trying to find her footing most of the time than her actual voice being the issue.

(Not that that was Soul Eaters biggest problem in any case ...)

Now if you want to talk about a really bland and generally annoying performance as a male lead, let's talk Takuya Eguchi as Kujo...

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen