AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-09-09, 02:56   Link #41
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Then again, in the movie AKIRA, Tokyo was to host the 2020 Olympics, but in 2019 Tetsuo happened so...
With that Fukushima stuff and what super heroes movies taught us about radiations, you never know /é_è\
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 09:21   Link #42
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Anyways, my town of DC is trying to mull hosting the BIG GAME(S), doubt it will happen though.
half your city council has pled guilty to something and the other half is figuring out who or what they can turn to the prosecutor for a lighter sentence. Meanwhile your mayor is trying to convince everyone he is a ostrich who sees nothing and hears nothing.
Old 2013-09-09, 09:59   Link #43
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
So, I see that Tokyo won the bid for the 2020 Olympics. Construction will boom. Lots of infrastructure will be added. English language companies will likely see a boom (i.e. fad) in students. Lower class / working poor people will get pushed out of their homes, taxes will rise. Sales tax will get shunted to less-necessary sectors, many people will be excited. Many people will be angry. NIMBY will increase. Traffic will snarl. Tourists will increase. Attention will be diverted from the ongoing Level 3 problem at Fukushima....
I heard opposite of this, Olympic actually causes tourism to go down. The reasoning is that people are likely to avoid that Olympic host city because they perceive the city to be very busy during that period. Or at least that is what happened in London.
Old 2013-09-09, 12:25   Link #44
Miraluka
Banned

Doraemon will be the pet!

How many contries are bitching about not being the host this time? So far Spain is butthurt(and they claim to be in crisis no less )
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 12:29   Link #45
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I heard opposite of this, Olympic actually causes tourism to go down. The reasoning is that people are likely to avoid that Olympic host city because they perceive the city to be very busy during that period. Or at least that is what happened in London.
I certainly will aim to go to Tokyo before 2020 to avoid the Olympic mess....Only Olympic spectators will want to go to an Olympic city.

And it's not the Winter Games. Nothing for me to watch
Old 2013-09-09, 12:59   Link #46
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
It might just be the prices though
Old 2013-09-09, 13:28   Link #47
flying ^

This entry by reuters best sums up the 2020 bid
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...edName=topNews

So anyways...

When China got the 2008 Olympics, they made their citizens study better English in order to better accommodate their incoming visitors. Wonder if Japan would do the same?
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 01:28   Link #48
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
So, I see that Tokyo won the bid for the 2020 Olympics. Construction will boom. Lots of infrastructure will be added. English language companies will likely see a boom (i.e. fad) in students. Lower class / working poor people will get pushed out of their homes, taxes will rise. Sales tax will get shunted to less-necessary sectors, many people will be excited. Many people will be angry. NIMBY will increase. Traffic will snarl. Tourists will increase. Attention will be diverted from the ongoing Level 3 problem at Fukushima....
Tokyo already hosts a lot of international sporting competitions. The 2020 Olympics is nothing new. We already did the Olympics in 1964 so we have lots of pre-built infrastructure and venues.

Tokyo already has one of the best mass transit systems in the world. We have a huge subway system, JR lines as well as private rail lines. We have both Haneda and Narita airports near Tokyo. We have monorail systems, Yurikamome, Rinkai, as well as Expressways. Therefore, very few transit infrastructure construction is needed. In addition, our mass transit systems is one of the few transit systems in the world that actually makes a profit, without any government subsidies to be run. So, there's no need to spend our taxes on running mass transit for the Olympics. Instead, all taxes will be used to urban design and sporting venues.

In addition, several venues are using heritage sites from the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. Other areas within the Heritage Zone will be renovated and remodeled, so it's not like we're going to be spending huge amounts of money to building everything from the ground up; it'll just be using existing infrastructure and upgrading them. The Nippon Budokan where a lot of concerts take place and originally built for the 1964 will be reused. National Olympic Stadium same thing, full remodel and upgrade of existing Olympic stadium from 1964 into 21st century remodel.

New venues will be built at Odaiba which is where Comiket takes place. Since the Odaiba area is an artificial island made out reclaimed land over water, no homes need to be destroyed. The International Broadcasting Center is actually Ariake's Tokyo Big Sight. Several indoor sports like wrestiling and Taekwondo will also take place at the same place where Comiket is usually held at. ww

Tokyo 2020 Promo Video
http://youtu.be/S4H-P6cg45E

Last edited by kj1980; 2013-09-10 at 01:47.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 03:38   Link #49
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I certainly will aim to go to Tokyo before 2020 to avoid the Olympic mess....Only Olympic spectators will want to go to an Olympic city.

And it's not the Winter Games. Nothing for me to watch
Actually going to Tokyo as tourist during the Olympic might be the best time. Think about this, people are not going to tourist destination because they perceive it will be busy. Thanks to that perception, people are now going to try to avoid 2020 and go before, causing it to be busier in that period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
So anyways...

When China got the 2008 Olympics, they made their citizens study better English in order to better accommodate their incoming visitors. Wonder if Japan would do the same?
More job opportunity for foreigners would be cool. I was thinking of trying to teach in Japan before grad school.
Old 2013-09-10, 03:48   Link #50
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

I want a Miku 3-D concert to be the centrepiece of the opening and closing ceremonies. Please make it happen, Crypton!

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 05:55   Link #51
GDB

Quote:
Actually going to Tokyo as tourist during the Olympic might be the best time. Think about this, people are not going to tourist destination because they perceive it will be busy. Thanks to that perception, people are now going to try to avoid 2020 and go before, causing it to be busier in that period.
But the problem is that airfare and hotels will have jacked up prices due to the special event.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-10, 07:54   Link #52
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
7 years to make tanks a sporting event.
Russia's already on it.

All that's left is the school girls.
Old 2013-09-11, 01:53   Link #53
whitecloud

Lets get to it then...start training it...
Old 2013-09-11, 07:25   Link #54
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
True....But won't there be major road closures?
Old 2013-09-11, 08:45   Link #55
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I was thinking I could pose as a gaijin and take photos with their lolis, with that fanfare of multiracial potpourri nobody will notice a thing - *gets beaten up by policemen*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 11:08   Link #56
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
I want a Miku 3-D concert to be the centrepiece of the opening and closing ceremonies. Please make it happen, Crypton!
Agreed. Get to work on this. Chop! Chop!

Endless "Miku fan" Soul
Old 2013-09-11, 11:30   Link #57
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
But the problem is that airfare and hotels will have jacked up prices due to the special event.
I guess the bets bet is to just move to Tokyo within the next 2 years so as to avoid the "jacked up prices"...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 09:50   Link #58
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
This entry by reuters best sums up the 2020 bid
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...edName=topNews

So anyways...

Romanized Japanese on signs to be replaced with English
The government announced new guidelines Sept. 11 that call for replacing Romanized Japanese text written on traffic signs across the nation with English to make them easier for foreigners to understand.

It's a good start
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_...AJ201309120083

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 12:36   Link #59
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I guess the bets bet is to just move to Tokyo within the next 2 years so as to avoid the "jacked up prices"...
I live 20min drive away from a tourism hotspot. I have no intention of every visiting it because everything is so expensive.

Worse, all the good restaurants are there. So the takeaway foods I could buy near my dwelling are all rather substandard. I just want an authentic Italian restaurant that won't break the bank, is that too much to ask? They were a dime a dozen in Melbourne!
Old 2013-09-12, 16:55   Link #60
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I live 20min drive away from a tourism hotspot. I have no intention of every visiting it because everything is so expensive.

Worse, all the good restaurants are there. So the takeaway foods I could buy near my dwelling are all rather substandard. I just want an authentic Italian restaurant that won't break the bank, is that too much to ask? They were a dime a dozen in Melbourne!
I could open one for you......if you can help me find the land.

Actually within this 7 years I was thinking that investors might move into the place and put alot of weight on the economy, thus making things more expensive there.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote