Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-06, 23:50   Link #121
sasuke13
Jyuunana Bunkatsu

Send a message via AIM to sasuke13
I, myself don't really care about if it's dubbed or subbed, it's the part about if they might edit out things or not that concern me. There's some really good American VAs that I like that I consider "famous" in my mind. It's just too bad they don't speak Japanese ^^* (or do they? O_O)

Last edited by sasuke13; 2006-08-07 at 11:12.
Old 2006-08-07, 01:52   Link #122
Fire Ice
Almost dead inside...

Good point...I still need my eyes to watch anime...But whatever...

I've never had any good experiences with dubbed anime...Never.
Ah, what the hell, enough whining about american companies and them screwing over anime...

The only real thing I can't ignore about ADV licensing Utawarerumono is the fact that the name they're giving it is so very irrelevant and stupid - -;

And is it -really- that hard to pronounce Utawarerumono? o_O
Old 2006-08-07, 04:24   Link #123
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Ice
And is it -really- that hard to pronounce Utawarerumono? o_O
No, I really don't think it is. I agree with Lythka in that respect.

I also don't understand where the confusion for its pronunciation comes from among the board members here, one poster on the other page thinking that you pronounce "mono" as "mah-no" for example Especially if you have heard the ending song at least once, because AFAIK that's the only place in the anime that the word "Utawarerumono" has thus far been spoken/sung. The way artist sings it also makes it quite clear how it's pronounced.
Old 2006-08-07, 04:38   Link #124
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant
Although I find the title Shadow Warrior Chonicles to be run of the mill, at least they didn't use "The One Being Sung", as it would be incorrect.

If they wanted to be literal, Utawarerumono うたわれるもの (謳われるもの者) would become "The Acclaimed/Praised One", which has no connotation to the homonymous utawareru (歌われる/唄われる/詠われる/唱われる) meaning "sing" (in respectful form), which would not make sense when used with mono (者=person/物=thing).

I suppose the usage of "sing the praise" or even "unsung one" in the English language are factors contributing to this potential misunderstanding, therefore I'm relieved ADV didn't botch it by naming it that way.
"Botch it by naming it that way"?

As it is, the origins of 謳う are in 歌う、the two concepts weren't differentiated in ancient japanese. ( Nor are they necessarily differentiated every time these days either, quite a few japanese would probably write out うたわれるもの as 歌われる者. )

I'd say "The one being sung" "The sung one" and the like are perfectly fine as translations for the title. In the end, the meaning compared to your suggestions is largely the same, but unlike yours they have a bit of a poetic quality(or "sounds stupid" quality, depending on who you ask) to them. When an expression works this well in both English and Japanese, I don't really see why you wouldn't want to use it.

Minor comment: respectful form? Nothing respectful about them, they're just passive forms.
Old 2006-08-07, 06:37   Link #125
PGilis
B-Gamer and anime otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to PGilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
God, what pre-historic age are you living in? Respectable dubbing companies (and I'm not talking about 4kids) haven't been doing things like this for years. Watch a recent local release from ADV, Funi or Genoen. There are no cuts, no censoring, no character name changes. The sub script is almost always perfectly loyal and the dub script is generally as loyal as the English language will allow. These companies aren't marketing exclusively to non-anime fans... most of their money on these types of releases (ie, anime that don't go to CN or similar) comes from people who have seen the fansub release and they've learnt over a decade ago that to properly market to such fans, they need to make their releases as loyal as possible to the original. Christ, I always get annoyed by such reactions to the announcement of a license... it reeks of raving fanboy-ism and zero experience with local releases.

My friend, in MY COUNTRY there's very few "respectable dubbing companies"... and many few good anime shows, too.

The only shows i can watch in my TV nowadays are pieces of shit like Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-gi-oh, Knights of Zodiac and Dragon Ball. There's some others shows by TV cable, but none of them involves romance/comedy or great stories.

And i swear, in all, ALL OF THEM i can hear the same voice actors again, again and again. And sometimes they are not even doing a good job!

That's why i prefer a thousand of times subtittled animes.
Old 2006-08-07, 07:01   Link #126
LocrEpinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGilis
My friend, in MY COUNTRY there's very few "respectable dubbing companies"... and many few good anime shows, too.

The only shows i can watch in my TV nowadays are pieces of shit like Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-gi-oh, Knights of Zodiac and Dragon Ball. There's some others shows by TV cable, but none of them involves romance/comedy or great stories.

And i swear, in all, ALL OF THEM i can hear the same voice actors again, again and again. And sometimes they are not even doing a good job!

Touche'.

I haven't seen many dubs myself, but there scarcity is proportional to their quality imo (compared to subs).

Quote:
I got bored of those "kids" shows when i was 12. Then, many years later i get back into animes like this one in particular. Therefore i'd happily say i'm a big fan of animes with good stories amongst other things.

Anyway, Is it just me, or do dubs always sound emotionless, lifeless and dull (not that i've seen many). They never convey the true meaning of jokes and just don't sound right to say the least.
I mean, they sound like a bunch of ppl doing a play at some fest because they had to...
Old 2006-08-07, 07:49   Link #127
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:

If those are the only dubs you've seen, then I rest my case: you've had zero experience with local releases and, thus, have no idea what you're talking about. Word to the wise: those anime are crap no matter what language you watch them in. Also, out of curiosity, what country are you from? If you're from an English speaking country, chances are the dub tracks on your local release DVDs are, in actuality, local licenses of US dubs. If that's the case, your country's dubbing companies are no different from the rest of ours'... and if that's the case, you can quit blaming your ignorance on circumstance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocrEpinS
Touche'.

I haven't seen many dubs myself, but there scarcity is proportional to their quality imo (compared to subs).

I got bored of those "kids" shows when i was 12. Then, many years later i get back into animes like this one in particular. Therefore i'd happily say i'm a big fan of animes with good stories amongst other things.

Anyway, Is it just me, or do dubs always sound emotionless, lifeless and dull (not that i've seen many).
Exactly. You haven't seen many so you wouldn't know. Stop with the blanket generalizations.
Old 2006-08-07, 07:53   Link #128
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Ok, please stop right there... before this degrades into a generic subs vs. dubs debate. I don't want to see the point argued any further.
Old 2006-08-07, 08:10   Link #129
LocrEpinS

Quote:
If those are the only dubs you've seen, then I rest my case: you've had zero experience with local releases and, thus, have no idea what you're talking about. Word to the wise: those anime are crap no matter what language you watch them in. Also, out of curiosity, what country are you from? If you're from an English speaking country, chances are the dub tracks on your local release DVDs are, in actuality, local licenses of US dubs. If that's the case, your country's dubbing companies are no different from the rest of ours'... and if that's the case, you can quit blaming your ignorance on circumstance.Exactly. You haven't seen many so you wouldn't know. Stop with the blanket generalizations.
'Suppose.

It was all a/n (biased) opinion on my part anyway. Though i'm sticking to it...
Old 2006-08-07, 08:49   Link #130
Eclipze

Just my 2cents, but if it was Utawaremono instead of Utawarerumono (It having no meaning what-so-ever aside), it seems easier to pronounce.

Maybe its just me...but give it a try!
Old 2006-08-07, 08:51   Link #131
PGilis
B-Gamer and anime otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to PGilis
Quote:
If those are the only dubs you've seen, then I rest my case: you've had zero experience with local releases and, thus, have no idea what you're talking about. Word to the wise: those anime are crap no matter what language you watch them in. Also, out of curiosity, what country are you from? If you're from an English speaking country, chances are the dub tracks on your local release DVDs are, in actuality, local licenses of US dubs. If that's the case, your country's dubbing companies are no different from the rest of ours'... and if that's the case, you can quit blaming your ignorance on circumstance.Exactly. You haven't seen many so you wouldn't know. Stop with the blanket generalizations.
I'm brazilian, and i tried just every anime show i can (except those 'little monsters' fight shows. I can't take them!! ). Unfortunatelly here in Brazil they still think 'anime is just for kids', so there's not really good anime shows in TV except those "for kids" or those to sell lots of toys.

And unfortunately, i can't find good anime shows for sale in DVD/VHS too unless i import directly from USA (Thanks God i can speak/understand English!!). Even the "kid's shows" released here rarely are finished, that is, has DVDs released with the final episodes. Believe me, i tried... and my friends crazy for anime tried too.

Please don't take so seriously. It was not my intention to pick a fight with you.
Old 2006-08-09, 00:52   Link #132
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
I was told it was a working title...so we may luckily be saved from this god awful name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Just my 2cents, but if it was Utawaremono instead of Utawarerumono (It having no meaning what-so-ever aside), it seems easier to pronounce.

Maybe its just me...but give it a try!
guh...IMO I find that much more difficult to pronounce...I guess it's just because I've become so accustomed to saying the ru in it. but hey, to each his own.
Old 2006-08-09, 02:36   Link #133
Lost

I'm wondering; since its licensed, can we still post screenshots of it here on AS?
Old 2006-08-09, 04:57   Link #134
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
I'm wondering; since its licensed, can we still post screenshots of it here on AS?
Not if the screen shot includes subtitles The occasional screenshot would still be OK, if related to a point of discussion.
Old 2006-08-09, 10:17   Link #135
Sundae
Nightmare 'rings

-a little off topic-
so, the anime was licensed
will the game (the all-age PS2 one) be localized too ?
Old 2006-08-09, 15:26   Link #136
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae
-a little off topic-
so, the anime was licensed
will the game (the all-age PS2 one) be localized too ?
Since it's an H-game, I'd vote 'no.'
Old 2006-08-09, 16:40   Link #137
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy
Since it's an H-game, I'd vote 'no.'
Good to see you properly read the post and noted he was talking about the PS2 version, which obviously has no pr0n as Sony smash pr0n.

That said, I'd vote no too. ADV isn't a game localizer. *If* the show does reasonably well in the US, then someone else might license the game, but I find that quite unlikely as well.
Old 2006-08-09, 17:30   Link #138
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzz
Good to see you properly read the post and noted he was talking about the PS2 version, which obviously has no pr0n as Sony smash pr0n.
... Oh
I'd just woken up, so I guess it just didn't register. Looking at it again, he said "all-age" version. I deserved that.
Old 2006-08-12, 07:12   Link #139
Sundae
Nightmare 'rings

Everyone make mistakes, my friend, it's okay
might as well voice my opinion here... I still demand fansub !
the only nice dub are from game's VA not anime's VA
the effect especially greater if you have heard the original japanese VA beforehand
Old 2006-08-13, 22:41   Link #140
Ryuueiki
あなたは 奈落の花じゃない。

Send a message via AIM to Ryuueiki
Never in my wildest dreams did I picture Utawarerumono to be licensed this early, and under the name 'Shader Warrior Chronicles'. I had always thought that one day it would get licensed, but not while the series is still airing in Japan. I had assumed that they would wait until it had finished airing in Japan, then maybe they would just consider licensing it.

I'm not too happy with the fact that they had licensed Utawarerumono just as the fans were getting into it, and just as the series was getting so good. But then again, it was brilliant of ADV to license it now while many people are so into it, because they know many fans will indeed buy their product to find out what happens in the later episodes, if they couldn't get a hold of RAWs.

I am also silently hoping and praying that maybe, just maybe, some company may license the game (using some direct translation of the title of course) if the series is popular enough. But then again, I highly doubt it. Ah well.

Regarding the fact of the new name change, I outright loathe it. They could have come up with something a bit more catchy, maybe just translating 'Utawarerumono' and leaving it at that. But no. They just had to change it to something extremly cheesy like 'Shadow Warrior Chronicles'. Bleh. They could have done better.

I also don't like the idea of people flooding the forums going 'hey, do u wach Shadow Warrior Chronicles?!?!?!' DX! That shall get annoying fast. I like the idea of new fans sharing the love for the same series, but not if they do it through the dub. DX!! Usually, a lot of fans don't take the initiative to look up the series, find out more about it, and NOT CALL IT BY THE DUB NAME!

I am disappointed with this licensing overall, and I hope they do just a bit better in the future picking out names for their series.
Closed Thread