Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-30, 16:03   Link #501
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
There is zero chance of the finals being covered in this sidestory. Neither the Achiga manga nor the main Saki series are anywhere close to being that far along.
How do you suppose they're going to fill up the next eight episodes of this then? Serious question.

I'm largely enjoying this show, but the very brisk pacing is mildly disconcerting to me. They're covering an awful lot that I personally would have preferred to have seen covered in an actual Saki season 2.

Edit: I do like how seriously they take things though. Even going so far as to spend hours studying videos of their competitor's matches. That's honestly professional-level sports preparation. Even NHL coaches didn't do that until Roger Nielsen came along in the late 70s, IIRC.
Old 2012-04-30, 16:26   Link #502
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
How do you suppose they're going to fill up the next eight episodes of this then? Serious question.

I'm largely enjoying this show, but the very brisk pacing is mildly disconcerting to me. They're covering an awful lot that I personally would have preferred to have seen covered in an actual Saki season 2.

Edit: I do like how seriously they take things though. Even going so far as to spend hours studying videos of their competitor's matches. That's honestly professional-level sports preparation. Even NHL coaches didn't do that until Roger Nielsen came along in the late 70s, IIRC.
If I had to guess maybe 3 episodes for the current match and 5 for the semi-finals I mean Teru's match will surely last at least an episode, won't it? I mean remember Saki spent 10 episodes on it's largest match, so 8 between the 2 important matches of Achiga-hen seems pretty reasonable to me.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 16:29   Link #503
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
If I had to guess maybe 3 episodes for the current match and 5 for the semi-finals I mean Teru's match will surely last at least an episode, won't it? I mean remember Saki spent 10 episodes on it's largest match, so 8 between the 2 important matches of Achiga-hen seems pretty reasonable to me.
So, do you think we'll ever get to see the Nationals matches for Kiyosumi, except the Finals itself (presuming that they get there, which I would imagine to be the case)?

But your 3/5 breakdown sounds reasonable to me. I hope you're right, or close to it.
Old 2012-04-30, 16:54   Link #504
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So, do you think we'll ever get to see the Nationals matches for Kiyosumi, except the Finals itself (presuming that they get there, which I would imagine to be the case)?

But your 3/5 breakdown sounds reasonable to me. I hope you're right, or close to it.
I've been thinking/saying for a while now that a season 2 of the main Saki story is practically confirmed. The current season really is just an adaptation of the side-story, which is a separate manga from the main Saki serialization. The overall protagonists of the series are still definitely Kiyosumi, so I cannot imagine at all that they would not animate that (Kiyosumi's) side of the nationals in a further season.

Speaking of (mainline) Saki S2, though, given the pacing of the previous match in S1 against Ryuumonbuchi...the amount of material for (each of) the national matches thus far is of about the same size. That is, if Saki S2 were to cover the entirety of Kiyosumi's side of the nationals...that might be 10 eps (Quarter-Finals) + 10 eps (Semi-Finals) + 10 eps (Finals) as an approximation. Quite a bit beyond what seems to be coverable in 2 cours. Of course, a couple of rather large assumptions are being made in that...but I wonder if that's really what they have got planned.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 16:57   Link #505
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

For the record the Saki main manga is still in the quarter finals match.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 17:07   Link #506
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
For the record the Saki main manga is still in the quarter finals match.
Someone switch it up to the "Light Novel" format already! This would mean: another 2-3 years of waiting.

I know! They should make another side series - featuring the Ryuumonbuchi team the previous year.

Consider this: Koromo had issues making friends because she whooped the crap out of them into depression. Like so:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=412
Someone musta beaten her in Nationals that year, 'cause Ryuumon aren't the National Champions.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 17:12   Link #507
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Someone switch it up to the "Light Novel" format already! This would mean: another 2-3 years of waiting.

I know! They should make another side series - featuring the Ryuumonbuchi team the previous year.

Consider this: Koromo had issues making friends because she whooped the crap out of them into depression. Like so:
Someone musta beaten her in Nationals that year, 'cause Ryuumon aren't the National Champions.
They could have lost before it was Koromo's turn to play though.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 17:16   Link #508
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
They could have lost before it was Koromo's turn to play though.
Gosh damn you Touka!
Old 2012-04-30, 17:24   Link #509
Valky
Radioactive

True, they could lost before Koromo plays. Then again, Koromo is described as National-class Monster. Note that there are a lot of other Monsters in national-class.

Btw, is the manga also like this? Only Kuro's match and power shown so far .. I want to see other players from Achiga match ..
Old 2012-04-30, 17:49   Link #510
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valky View Post
Btw, is the manga also like this? Only Kuro's match and power shown so far .. I want to see other players from Achiga match ..
The anime actually tries to expand the mahjong scenes a bit more than in the manga so yes, the real full length mahjong games in Achiga are not featured until they start playing Senriyama (which will be next episode)
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 18:16   Link #511
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Spoiler for Why Ryuumonbuchi lost, very minor spoiler:
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 22:45   Link #512
chaos_animagic

Yes...

The anime version expands into a much more detail than the manga did. (since if they didn't expand... they would finish the entire manga by episode 7 or so... LOL)

I actually like the expands, because it allow us to see what we always wanted to see/ know that wasn't shown in the manga.
(tho they still did the "time skip" and showed only the first player match)

Also, Kuro deserves the first player glory, because she actually worked for it...
She spend years alone cleaning in that empty room... hoping someday... someone would notice it and come back to that room...

She got lucky, cause if Shizuno never went back to the room... Kuro would probably ended up never seeing anyone and spend all her time in an empty room for the entire school years... (which would be boring, because she isn't socializing with anyone too... she just stays at the room cleaning always....)

Last edited by chaos_animagic; 2012-04-30 at 23:07.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 04:34   Link #513
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:

Saki Zero writen by Gen Urobuchi. Imagine the things that could happened.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 07:58   Link #514
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Saki Zero writen by Gen Urobuchi. Imagine the things that could happened.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen_Urobuchi

Oh my goodness. He wrote Madoka.

Instead of a prequel... he'd be writing about a sequel... involving the following year's competition... where... Saki finally became corrupted by her mahjong play... and did all sorts of nasty things, as it runs in the family.

OH NO!!!!
Old 2012-05-01, 10:46   Link #515
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen_Urobuchi

Oh my goodness. He wrote Madoka.

Instead of a prequel... he'd be writing about a sequel... involving the following year's competition... where... Saki finally became corrupted by her mahjong play... and did all sorts of nasty things, as it runs in the family.

OH NO!!!!
Saki will become the Kenshiro of mahjong. So it's not that bad (though heads will asplode).
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 14:17   Link #516
Valky
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
The anime actually tries to expand the mahjong scenes a bit more than in the manga so yes, the real full length mahjong games in Achiga are not featured until they start playing Senriyama (which will be next episode)
I see.

I'm looking forward to the next episode then.
Old 2012-05-02, 12:17   Link #517
Marina2

[Kuro vs Toki]

Ryuuka: I don't know who to cheer for!
Me: Me too!

Last edited by Marina2; 2012-05-02 at 13:34.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 12:35   Link #518
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Saki will become the Kenshiro of mahjong. So it's not that bad (though heads will asplode).
Imagine when Urobuchi will write a prequel mixing sport and gore, like Hakaijuu, where some random girl kills the famous mahjong player 1 year before Achiga-hen starts.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 13:39   Link #519
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... ep 4 was also quite well done. Kudos to the animators. But now ... things are going to get serious. That frail player of the top ranked team looks like she is going to put a world of hurt on poor Kuro....
Old 2012-05-03, 00:28   Link #520
Kyuu
=^^=

Just a cheap plug in. Let's gather up for some mahjong.

Japanese Mahjong Group

Oh. And so far... of all the pro's in the Saki franchise... I am most amused by Mihorogi. She so crazy!

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri