AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-07-13, 12:22   Link #1541
skaianDestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well that's probably better than the twin barreled tanks the Earth was using in the film.
Mechs are overrated, give me tanks!
skaianDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-14, 10:09   Link #1542
TZoli

Does anybody know something about these?
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust....st_id=37619640

https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust....st_id=36747063

Harlcok and Yamato 2199
TZoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-14, 10:34   Link #1543
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaianDestiny View Post
Mechs are overrated, give me tanks!
In the post-Gundam era, Yamato's twin barreled tanks look terribly generic. The triple barreled Gamilas tanks at least had some style to them, but the Gatlantis and Earth tanks are horribly generic now-a-days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZoli View Post

Home altered model kits from 2013.
Old 2018-07-14, 11:18   Link #1544
TZoli

Yeah I've seen a Gundam battle where a bunch of Mechas basically eliminated an entire fleet of battleships, cruisers destroyers and command ships each looked powerful enough to SBY Warships!
I think this was that battle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOmuQnKjJc4

It's like every space ship is a pathetic vehicle against Gundams....

And these ships are well designed with small calibre AA guns located on the sides in good arcs and main guns elsewhere! Not to mention missile launchers!
TZoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-14, 14:07   Link #1545
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZoli View Post
Yeah I've seen a Gundam battle where a bunch of Mechas basically eliminated an entire fleet of battleships, cruisers destroyers and command ships each looked powerful enough to SBY Warships!
I think this was that battle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOmuQnKjJc4

It's like every space ship is a pathetic vehicle against Gundams....

And these ships are well designed with small calibre AA guns located on the sides in good arcs and main guns elsewhere! Not to mention missile launchers!
No.
The SBY ships are far more powerful than ANY Gundam ship of the 0079 One Year War era.
The video you showed was of Char Aznable (a Newtype of human that has sixth-sense, and lightening fast reflexes). The unshielded warships of the Earth Federation fleet would not be able to repel the heavy caliber cannon seen being used, nor the hyper-bazooka (which is a plasma-based weapon). The shots of the Zeon pilots are also very well placed. It would be akin to the original Kongo class of battleship in SBY 2199 trying to fight the Valkyrie type fighters from Macross. The Valkyrie would make short work of them due to speed, firepower, and maneuverability.
Now, this same squadron of Zaku MK-II mobile suits against say a refit-Kongo class ship (like we see in SBY 2202) would get killed by the Kongo. The reason is that the shielding of the Kongo would be too powerful for the beam weapons and hyper-bazookas of the Mobile Suits. A Gundam, armed with the energy-cap beam rifle), MIGHT be able to damage a Kongo (assuming it is powerful enough to get through the shields, which I highly doubt), but that is arguable.
Old 2018-07-14, 16:34   Link #1546
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I am speaking more of aesthetics than capabilities. After Gundam and a host of other shows and games came out, the twin barreled tanks used by Earth and Gatlantis in Space Battleship Yamato look horribly generic. Even if those that came after imitated Yamato, the newer designs look a whole lot better and are much better known. Meaning if the used them in Yamato 2202 or after, the younger crowd would probably thing they were ripping those off of some other show or a game, rather than just reusing a 1978 or 1979 design.

There have already been cases were people have been claiming Yamato 2199 or Yamato 2202 wer ripping off some other show, and than someone would go back an point out the scene being ripped off would be the original version of the scene from the 1970s era Yamato series...rather than whatever show or game they originally thought it was being stolen from. Usually it comes with the realization that Yamato had a much bigger impact in the late 1970s and early 1980s than anyone was willing to admit.
Old 2018-07-14, 21:37   Link #1547
skaianDestiny

Would still rather have tanks. For various reasons Kobayashi's mecha haven't endeared me.

EDIT: Plus I've always loved tanks so more tanks is a-okay with me.

Last edited by skaianDestiny; 2018-07-14 at 22:20.
Old 2018-07-14, 23:00   Link #1548
GundamFan0083

Quote:
I am speaking more of aesthetics than capabilities. After Gundam and a host of other shows and games came out, the twin barreled tanks used by Earth and Gatlantis in Space Battleship Yamato look horribly generic. Even if those that came after imitated Yamato, the newer designs look a whole lot better and are much better known. Meaning if the used them in Yamato 2202 or after, the younger crowd would probably thing they were ripping those off of some other show or a game, rather than just reusing a 1978 or 1979 design.

There have already been cases were people have been claiming Yamato 2199 or Yamato 2202 wer ripping off some other show, and than someone would go back an point out the scene being ripped off would be the original version of the scene from the 1970s era Yamato series...rather than whatever show or game they originally thought it was being stolen from. Usually it comes with the realization that Yamato had a much bigger impact in the late 1970s and early 1980s than anyone was willing to admit.
I concur.
In fact.
Star Wars (1977) is essentially a "rip-off" of Space Battleship Yamato as Starlog Magazine pointed out decades ago.

http://www.ourstarblazers.com/vault-...arlogpages.PDF

As for the tanks vs mecha. I thought Yamato 2520 had mecha/battle robots in it?
http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/364/

Maybe not?
Old 2018-07-15, 00:53   Link #1549
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I never fully warmed up to Yamato 2520's 18th Yamato's design. 17th Yamato looks cool though. And I like some of the 18th Yamato's weapon's features, some of which could probably be back-teched to the 23rd century era Blue Noah design (the combined shock cannon fire, with side by side turrets that can superimpose automatically for broadsides, and the combined blast being nearly on par with an early wave motion gun). As well as the idea of underside guns, though now that the Earth ships have shields, that's not as needed as it once was.

I never liked the blockly turrets on that era's Earth ships, and was glad when they used normal turrets on the Blue Noah redesign for Yamato Resurrection.

I would like to see the automatic superimposing turrets feature on some of the Gamilas and Gatlantis designs. It would help several of their usual obscured turrets, or in-line turrets on a flat hull, be able to raise up and fire. Also allow the off-side turrets on the Gamilas battlecarrier to be able to all fire onto either broadside. That or shifting mounts to give the off-side guns a clear shot to the other broadside.
Old 2018-07-15, 12:06   Link #1550
GundamFan0083

Quote:
I never fully warmed up to Yamato 2520's 18th Yamato's design. 17th Yamato looks cool though. And I like some of the 18th Yamato's weapon's features, some of which could probably be back-teched to the 23rd century era Blue Noah design (the combined shock cannon fire, with side by side turrets that can superimpose automatically for broadsides, and the combined blast being nearly on par with an early wave motion gun). As well as the idea of underside guns, though now that the Earth ships have shields, that's not as needed as it once was.

I never liked the blockly turrets on that era's Earth ships, and was glad when they used normal turrets on the Blue Noah redesign for Yamato Resurrection.

I would like to see the automatic superimposing turrets feature on some of the Gamilas and Gatlantis designs. It would help several of their usual obscured turrets, or in-line turrets on a flat hull, be able to raise up and fire. Also allow the off-side turrets on the Gamilas battlecarrier to be able to all fire onto either broadside. That or shifting mounts to give the off-side guns a clear shot to the other broadside.
I agree those features on Gamilas, some Bolar, and maybe even the Dinguil ships from Final Yamato in a new role for the 2199/2202 universe would make sense and improve on existing designs.

As for 2520, I think the ship designs could still be a nice edition if they are reworked to bridge the current redesigns in 2202 with Space Pirate Captain Harlock's era of 2999/3000.
The Blue Noah already has the "Death Shadow" look to it and it would be neat to see the new series show a technological line towards Leiji's work since he threw Yamato into many of his Harlock projects.

In the 999 manga the Yamato appears often. Even accompanying the Death Shadow.

Not sure if they'll be able to take this route (due to copyright issues), but it would be nice to see Harlock have some family relation to anyone in the Yamato crew (preferably Kodai's line) and see the Arcadia have some technological pedigree that links to Yamato itself (perhaps using both Musashi's and Yamato's wave motion engine cores as her main engines).
Certainly would make for a fantastic reboot linking what many fans already have linked in terms of storyline arcs, and technology in the Leijiverse.
Old 2018-07-15, 14:22   Link #1551
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I agree those features on Gamilas, some Bolar, and maybe even the Dinguil ships from Final Yamato in a new role for the 2199/2202 universe would make sense and improve on existing designs.

As for 2520, I think the ship designs could still be a nice edition if they are reworked to bridge the current redesigns in 2202 with Space Pirate Captain Harlock's era of 2999/3000.
The Blue Noah already has the "Death Shadow" look to it and it would be neat to see the new series show a technological line towards Leiji's work since he threw Yamato into many of his Harlock projects.

In the 999 manga the Yamato appears often. Even accompanying the Death Shadow.

Not sure if they'll be able to take this route (due to copyright issues), but it would be nice to see Harlock have some family relation to anyone in the Yamato crew (preferably Kodai's line) and see the Arcadia have some technological pedigree that links to Yamato itself (perhaps using both Musashi's and Yamato's wave motion engine cores as her main engines).
Certainly would make for a fantastic reboot linking what many fans already have linked in terms of storyline arcs, and technology in the Leijiverse.
I agree I love the 17th Generation Yamato. I hate the 18th because it really did not even look like Yamato anymore.

I read somewhere that Harlock was originally supposed to be Kodai Mamoru.
Old 2018-07-15, 16:22   Link #1552
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

18th Yamato is supose to be a Yamato built to the enemy's style due to it being built in an abandoned enemy shipyard using the plans of the 17th Yamato but using both Wave Motion engines and an enemy power generator as a hybrid warship. This makes the ship rather large and very well armed.

But it doesn't look as good as 17th Yamato. A ship that looks more like a cross between the older Yamato and the 2500 era Earth Federation battleships, but with long square barreled triple turrets.

However there is something to think about: the Earth had built 17 Yamatos of one class or another between 2199 and 2503. Supposedly all built on the remains of the previous Yamatos.
Old 2018-07-15, 20:17   Link #1553
Korol

If the Yamato was in SRW V Then i wish the Andromeda and their sister ships been on another SRW Game with Comet Empire Dark Nebula Empire and the Bolar Federation as the enemies. if they.ll added the Arizona as a hero playable ship. along with Dessler's Flagship the red battlecarrier then later on the blue colored flagship he used on the Bolar wars.
Korol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-15, 21:23   Link #1554
skaianDestiny

Quote:
18th Yamato is supose to be a Yamato built to the enemy's style due to it being built in an abandoned enemy shipyard using the plans of the 17th Yamato but using both Wave Motion engines and an enemy power generator as a hybrid warship. This makes the ship rather large and very well armed.

But it doesn't look as good as 17th Yamato. A ship that looks more like a cross between the older Yamato and the 2500 era Earth Federation battleships, but with long square barreled triple turrets.

However there is something to think about: the Earth had built 17 Yamatos of one class or another between 2199 and 2503. Supposedly all built on the remains of the previous Yamatos.
It's a neat thing to think about, much like how each new Enterprise keeps something of the old ships.
Old 2018-07-15, 22:00   Link #1555
GundamFan0083

Quote:

I agree that the 17th Yamato looks far better than the 18th.

Here is Zenseava's version of the 17th:

Spoiler for Large image:

And here is the 18th Version which I can agree really doesn't work.

Spoiler for Large Image:

The 18th would make a great alien-ship or even say a command ship like a "Mega"-Andromeda, or perhaps another class of ship entirely.
The problem for Yamato 2520 is that it was too radical a change from SBY for many fans in terms of its aesthetic. Star Trek Discovery is suffering the same problem and judging by the actions of Alex Kurtsman, I'd say it was suffer the same fate.
This is why SBY 2199 and SBY 2202 are great. They're different, and modernized, but not so radical that they are unrecognizable.

EDIT:

As an aside, I found an AMV (some of you may have already seen it) for the new Yamato 2199/2202 that is well done in my humble opinion, so I thought I'd share.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2018-07-16 at 04:09.
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-21, 07:53   Link #1556
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Work continues on a fan made Battle of Mars.
NicoNico
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2018-07-22, 22:00   Link #1557
Korol

Hmmm... we.ll wait for something after the Battle of Saturn. yet speaking of Cosmo Tiger Jets they should added the Cosmo Falcons. when it comes on fighting Space Scorpions.
Old 2018-07-23, 08:55   Link #1558
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We know they will have some Cosmo Zero in the next battle.
Old 2018-07-23, 18:26   Link #1559
Korol

heh like theres a Mass Produce variant after the success of the Cosmo Zero after the Gamilon War.
Old 2018-07-29, 22:19   Link #1560
Korol

now i wonder in the next trailer on the film we can see the moon was on the mercy of the Gatlantis and wanted to bomb the tar on the lunar surface till it turned into a molten orb of fire and seeing the humans and gamilons would demoralized as Zordar displays the show of force.