Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2021-03-11, 01:46   Link #121
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinotachi View Post
The people that are angry at how this ended are basically the usual cancerous shipping fans that cannot separate the story from their favourite girl, those are the ones complaining the most not only in the west but in Japan too.
At this point, how & why are they still called Evangelion fans when shipping is the only thing they care about? I mean, Evangelion itself is not about shipping. That much was already obvious since 1995. Didn't they get any memo during all these decades?

As for the ending, I will not rely on secondhand info. I need to experience it myself to understand it. Then, I might google some additional info before I draw my own conclusion.
Old 2021-03-11, 12:06   Link #122
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Unfortunate side effect of any big series fandom. They NEED to focus on the shipping because it’s the only thing that makes whichever franchise interesting to them even when there is little to no presence of romance when the main story gets too boring for them. When it comes to this particular waifu war, to quote one vtuber’s weeb dad, you’re asking people to choose between kids and terrible people, so might as well choose EVA unit 1. It’s best to just leave them with their nudey settei pre artbooks they’ve collected and manga side stories and leave them be. Enjoy the series the way you want to without getting distracted.
Old 2021-03-11, 18:46   Link #123
Ligerleon89

Spoiler for Just my thoughts about what I know so far as vague as I can make it.:
Ligerleon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-12, 13:33   Link #124
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Unfortunate side effect of any big series fandom. They NEED to focus on the shipping because it’s the only thing that makes whichever franchise interesting to them even when there is little to no presence of romance when the main story gets too boring for them. When it comes to this particular waifu war, to quote one vtuber’s weeb dad, you’re asking people to choose between kids and terrible people, so might as well choose EVA unit 1. It’s best to just leave them with their nudey settei pre artbooks they’ve collected and manga side stories and leave them be. Enjoy the series the way you want to without getting distracted.
I think you went overboard. yes that shipping always been part of Evangelion franchises since beginning. But is hardly the focus of the series. Evangalion doesn’t become popular because of shipping wars alone you know.

In fact many people that watch the movie said that the key message of the movie is “move on” which includes “move on from your shipping”

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-13, 22:04   Link #125
Ligerleon89

Well I got some information about Anno. Long story short, while he's finished with Evangelion, the series is going to continue at the hands of others who wants to take their chance with the series.
Old 2021-03-14, 00:18   Link #126
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligerleon89 View Post
Well I got some information about Anno. Long story short, while he's finished with Evangelion, the series is going to continue at the hands of others who wants to take their chance with the series.
yeah he is interested to make evangalion his own gundam. so expect the next series to be alt universe where Eva are in the tournament arc

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-14, 02:54   Link #127
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
yeah he is interested to make evangalion his own gundam. so expect the next series to be alt universe where Eva are in the tournament arc
*Gen Urobuchi sharpen his writer pencil*
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-14, 04:51   Link #128
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
*Gen Urobuchi sharpen his writer pencil*
Don't give me hope
Old 2021-03-14, 07:28   Link #129
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Gen Urobuchi already had a chance to give us a mecha show, and he gave us Aldnoah and he ran away after 3 episodes .

There was also Gargantia, but it was largely not his idea. He just helped wrote the twist episode.

I dare him to write a full Gundam show. Eva is a bit too formulaic in comparison. With Gundam, sky is the limit, as long as you integrate a Gundam and plenty of mechas in your story.
Old 2021-03-15, 17:00   Link #130
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Gen Urobuchi already had a chance to give us a mecha show, and he gave us Aldnoah and he ran away after 3 episodes .

There was also Gargantia, but it was largely not his idea. He just helped wrote the twist episode.

I dare him to write a full Gundam show. Eva is a bit too formulaic in comparison. With Gundam, sky is the limit, as long as you integrate a Gundam and plenty of mechas in your story.
Aldnoah I couldn't care less TBH (Sawano Hiroyuki always delivered with his excellent soundtracks tho), but Gargantia was such a wasted opportunity when it already had all the ingredients and world-building for something truly epic. That show will always have a treasured place in my heart.

Anyway, I'd say RahXephon is possibly the closest we get to Evangelion without it being Evangelion. At least shipping isn't ambiguous there.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-17, 09:11   Link #131
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Anyway, I'd say RahXephon is possibly the closest we get to Evangelion without it being Evangelion. At least shipping isn't ambiguous there.
I'd say Bokurano
Old 2021-03-21, 00:44   Link #132
wissenschaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
My core problems with EVA 3 movie are that the story transition from EVA 2's ending is so jarringly sudden & clunky. It feels like I missed a movie in between which is especially made clear with how EVA 3 doesn't have any original scenes from the preview at the end of EVA 2. Also, the side-protags became such unreasonable (if not out of character) jerks to a post-comatose Shinji by not properly filling him in on the 3rd impact that he undeliberately caused and just guilt-tripping him all the time. And then Misato & co were puzzled why Shinji escaped from them and joined Kaworu who treated him decently? Gee, I wonder why? Maybe if you actually treated him like a human being, Shinji wouldn't run from you especially when he has the potential to destroy the world, again. Shinji is lame, but he's not a crazed lunatic. If Misato's crew treated Shinji decently, he wouldn't be motivated to do whatever he was about to do with Kaworu. The whole thing just feels forced.

I don't hate a new direction for the movie 3. But a much more natural narrative flow & less plot-dictated unreasonable characters would've done wonders (like in EVA 1 & 2 movies). Let's hope they do that for EVA 4.
I feel the same way about 3.0 but good new is that the final movie goes to length piecing 3.0 and the whole setting together. So 3.0 is not ignored but explained. Well, not that anything in Eva is ever full spelt out but its more than enough to piece everything together. I think 3.0 is the way it is for shock value and that 4.0 was meant to come out a long time ago because 3.0 and 4.0 pretty much go hand in hand. To put it another way, the pay off for watching 3.0 is in 4.0.

I remember lots of talk after 2.0 about Rebuild being a retcon to Eva. Or some alternate universe retelling. After 4.0 it feels like an updated revision to Eva. Same core meanings minus the massive depression Anno had when making the original. Heck, you kind of gain more understanding of the original ending and what Anno was trying to convey by watching 4.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diluc View Post
Hideaki Anno : I am like 60 year old now why I must give shit to Otaku taste? I am going to make movie what I wanted and nobody can stop me.
Hideaki Anno = the most based man in 21th century
As for the Angry fans, I don't get the sense Anno is saying screw the Otaku fans. Its just that some fans ships were sunk because Anno has a different perspective on the relationships between characters. I am very happy with how the shipping wars ended with 4.0 but I'll have to wait till everyone watches the movie before I can explain why I think 4.0 end makes sense for the characters.

Last edited by wissenschaft; 2021-03-21 at 00:56.
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-03, 04:45   Link #133
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Watched it

Spoiler:

This was really a grand send off. I don't know why people are upset but for me this is a very good conclusion. Couldn't ask for better. I'd personally consider this, the second End of Evangelion, which I also incidentally liked a lot

To each their own in the end

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2021-04-03 at 05:01.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-03, 07:06   Link #134
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Oh, the reason people are upset is always the same reason: shipping. Some of them have been doing it for almost 30 years now, and ain't about the give up.

Spoiler for We all know why the fanboys are mad:

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-03, 07:43   Link #135
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Asuka wasn't really sunk though.

Spoiler:
Old 2021-05-03, 17:41   Link #136
Ligerleon89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Asuka wasn't really sunk though.

Spoiler:
How'd you miss that one!? She is there sitting on a bench to the left, not too far from where Rei and Kaworu were standing.
Old 2021-05-03, 21:33   Link #137
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligerleon89 View Post
How'd you miss that one!? She is there sitting on a bench to the left, not too far from where Rei and Kaworu were standing.

Oh...damn. Guess my eyes are deteriorating once more then whelp
Old 2021-05-09, 22:33   Link #138
lexlexz

why does shinji wye color change in the trailer?
lexlexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-11, 09:31   Link #139
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

IIRC that was after he received the second Longinius Lance from Misato and co during the final fight with Gendou
Old 2021-05-22, 08:33   Link #140
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So I decided to watch this in Japanese theaters, despite my own japanese ability being about elementary-school level. Even so.. I'm gonna dare to call this Anno's masterpiece. From what it seemed to me, Anno took the Eva series and wrapped up the story pretty nicely with a beautiful bow tie.

Spoiler for 3.0 +1:

When English Subtitles finally get put on, I'm definitely re-watching it. With the exception of 3.0, I've preferred the Rebuilds to the original, and this was a fantastic way to wrap up the series.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote