AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-05-13, 10:58   Link #321
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
To the best of my knowledge, no.
__________________
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-15, 15:39   Link #322
Julio C
Bury My Shell
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara
Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
So still no word on part 3 BD huh?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-15, 19:21   Link #323
Jamibu
Ninja Space Pirate
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Lurkdom
^Nope. Wait maybe around September/October 2021 at the earliest or end of the year at the latest. Worst case scenario early next year.
Jamibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-15, 20:06   Link #324
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
So still no word on part 3 BD huh?
I've heard absolutely nothing. I believe last time, the wait was 8 months and 12 days between Part II's theatre and BD release. Using that as the estimate, we're going to see the third part in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamibu View Post
^Nope. Wait maybe around September/October 2021 at the earliest or end of the year at the latest. Worst case scenario early next year.
To be honest, September/October 2021 is being extremely generous and optimistic. I have no idea why on earth they'd think it's a good idea to do that sort of release pattern right now, but given what we've previously seen, we're likely to be in for a bloody long wait.
__________________
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-16, 02:30   Link #325
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
They seem to want each part to remain on the theater as long as possible for maximum income.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif
Marina2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-16, 11:35   Link #326
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
That would make sense under normal conditions, but given the global health crisis, such a course of action would be irresponsible. I've heard rumours that the increasing gap might be an anti-piracy measure: by keeping a film in theatres for longer, it ensures the only way to see it is to go in person.
__________________
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-16, 13:18   Link #327
c933103
FTNR
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hong Kong, UTC+8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
That would make sense under normal conditions, but given the global health crisis, such a course of action would be irresponsible.
If anything, with a number of cinema being voluntarily closed, and a number of cinema implementing capacity limit, they would need to stay screening for longer time to spread out the crowd and let everyone who want to watch it to actually watch it.
Quote:
I've heard rumours that the increasing gap might be an anti-piracy measure: by keeping a film in theatres for longer, it ensures the only way to see it is to go in person.
I don't think so as mostly everyone who watch the movie in Japan during later stage of screening are repeaters who have already watched the movie multiple times, and movie piracy isn't that popular in Japan.
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-16, 13:28   Link #328
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
Got any hard evidence of that? Where I am, theatres shut down completely, and films are offered on streaming services instead. That route makes much more sense to both distributors and customers alike.
__________________
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-16, 14:38   Link #329
Ithekro
Gamilas Rises
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 43
Well this is the official screening information for Chapter 3: https://girls-und-panzer-finale.jp/t...e03-screening/

Make what you will of it, but a lot of the screens don't start until 5/28. Many theaters are still closed, but are scheduled to reopen.

If I recall, the reasoning for pushing for theaters is that that is were series like this get the majority of their return investment. BD coming next, but I imagine that without the theater sales, this chapter would be a financial disaster, and hamper later chapters be able to be made.

The theater release issue has held up Space Battleship Yamato 2202's film for six months, and delayed the release of Yamato 2205 until Fall (it was going to come out last fall or winter)

Streaming may not yet be a viable money maker for these companies. Or their bean counters have yet to advance their money making formula to account for that.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-16, 14:53   Link #330
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
Definitely the latter case: their bean counters are following an antiquated relic of a business model if they need eleven months to turn a profit. The Pepperdine Institute found that 90 percent of all revenue for a given will be made eight weeks after release.



Consequently, with this hard data, a company that wants to make more money should have a film as a theatre-exclusive for no more than three months and then look to getting it out to streaming/BD after that: at three months, there's still enough excitement to drive sales in streaming/BD. Unless, of course, Japan has a completely non-standard revenue pattern brought on by their anime fanbase's uncommon consumer practises, in which case, I'd love to hear more about the socio-economic factors behind that.
__________________
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-16, 14:57   Link #331
c933103
FTNR
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hong Kong, UTC+8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
Got any hard evidence of that? Where I am, theatres shut down completely, and films are offered on streaming services instead. That route makes much more sense to both distributors and customers alike.
Where do you mean by where I am? Tokyo or Osaka? Even for those cities according to my understanding the government have only requested the closure of theater and haven't mandated such, in the current emergency status declaration.
As for being offered on stream service, it doesn't work as a commercial model for most anime movie, and especially for this series, because you are selling the theatrical experience of your show instead of just the show content itself.
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-16, 15:08   Link #332
c933103
FTNR
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hong Kong, UTC+8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
Definitely the latter case: their bean counters are following an antiquated relic of a business model if they need eleven months to turn a profit. The Pepperdine Institute found that 90 percent of all revenue for a given will be made eight weeks after release.

Consequently, with this hard data, a company that wants to make more money should have a film as a theatre-exclusive for no more than three months and then look to getting it out to streaming/BD after that: at three months, there's still enough excitement to drive sales in streaming/BD. Unless, of course, Japan has a completely non-standard revenue pattern brought on by their anime fanbase's uncommon consumer practises, in which case, I'd love to hear more about the socio-economic factors behind that.
I don't know why you would want to bought up a US chart when you already recognized Japan doesn't follow, and garupan is an even more special case of it
https://mimorin2014.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-37889.html
According to data here, over the past weekend (May 15-16), garupan #3 screened 304 times in 61 different cinema, selling 2851 tickets, performing 152% over previous week's result
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-16, 15:12   Link #333
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
The implication you make is that Japanese Girls und Panzer fans operate on a completely different modus operandi than ordinary movie-goers, which my evidence makes the assumption for. Assuming that to hold true, I'll only comment that their approach is lunacy, and catering to that model of having fans come back to watch a film several times over increasing accessibility is what will cost companies in the long run.
__________________
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-16, 15:39   Link #334
Ithekro
Gamilas Rises
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 43
From what I recall, Japanese anime does not follow traditional, ordinary movie-goer trends because it is a niche market. A market that increases profit from selling "exclusive" goods at the theaters only. Sometimes even doing a rotation of said exclusives so that the collectors "need" to go to multiple screening to get full sets or whatever the thing of the week is for their collection.

If I recall that Yamato 2199 chapters sold the BD as the theaters exclusively, up to months before the BD was available for purchase anywhere else. Depending on how long it was in the theaters for the original run. And that was for a seven chapter theater run that translated to 26 episodes...with the last chapter and the TV release lining up at the end of the project to the point where the theater goers would get to see the last episodes only a few weeks before they came out on TV, but the BD would still come out a month or two later.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-16, 18:16   Link #335
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
From what I recall, Japanese anime does not follow traditional, ordinary movie-goer trends because it is a niche market. A market that increases profit from selling "exclusive" goods at the theaters only. Sometimes even doing a rotation of said exclusives so that the collectors "need" to go to multiple screening to get full sets or whatever the thing of the week is for their collection.

If I recall that Yamato 2199 chapters sold the BD as the theaters exclusively, up to months before the BD was available for purchase anywhere else. Depending on how long it was in the theaters for the original run. And that was for a seven chapter theater run that translated to 26 episodes...with the last chapter and the TV release lining up at the end of the project to the point where the theater goers would get to see the last episodes only a few weeks before they came out on TV, but the BD would still come out a month or two later.
That would make sense, thanks for the clarification It sounds like even in Japan, being an anime fan is a pain and costs a pretty penny. Well, nothing left to do for us except wait what is likely to be 8-11 months, then.
__________________
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-30, 15:18   Link #337
EroKing
Version Zero
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 35
__________________
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.