AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-10, 16:40   Link #281
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In other possibly related news: Voice actor Takeshi Aono passed away yesterday. He played may rolls but the one related to this show was that of the original Sanada (Sandor), Yamato's chief science officer, and general inventor of about everything they need on the way.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...no-passes-away

What is weird is that I think I hear his voice in the scene where the Yukikaze's crew is singing.

(Picture of Okita's son. It would be interesting to see what his ship was...you can see part of the unit patch, but not enough to guess. Just that is doesn't look like one of the generic UNCF Cosmo Navy patches.)
Old 2012-04-10, 17:56   Link #282
August138

Background detail in Episode 2, amongst some photographs on a wall:

From right to left is Saburo Kato, Akira Yamamoto, and her late brother... So, does this mean that Yamamoto from the original series didn't have his gender changed for 2199, after all, but rather was KIA in a previous action against the Gamilas, before the first episode? Look closely, he does have hair going down almost over his eye as the original Yamamoto did... Hmmmm?
Old 2012-04-10, 18:08   Link #283
denshousha

If you believe Japanese wikipedia, her brother's name is Akio. 山本明生

I have a question about Kotetsu Serizawa. All I know about the military is reruns Star Trek and M*A*S*H so forgive my ignorance, but how do we know this character is a General and not an Admiral? The website lists his rank as 宇将; 宇
means "space" and 将 can mean General or Admiral.

Apparently he favors an Earth evacuation policy called Operation Izumo.
denshousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 18:28   Link #284
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Visual evidance suggests the western term General, as only Navies use the term Admiral. Okita and Hijikata wear very naval inspired uniforms. Serizawa has a more Army style uniform (or perhaps Marines) indicating he's a ground pounder instead of a sea (space) dog.

I've looked a little at the Japanese Yamato 2199 Wiki and they have a listing for ranks, but even they seem a little stumped in and around the ranks of Mamoru Kodai, Tokagawa, and Sanada. They use current Self-Defense Forces terms on the wiki when they can. Most of those show a western equivelent for air, ground, or navy rank.

With Akira's hair down longer like that she reminds me of another role Rie Tanaka had years ago....Suigintou.
Old 2012-04-10, 18:35   Link #285
August138

According to the English Subs, Mamoru, and Sanada are Majors. Kodai, Shima, and Yuki are Third Lieutenants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denshousha View Post
If you believe Japanese wikipedia, her brother's name is Akio. 山本明生
Thanks! I usually check it about every other day for updates.

Quote:
I have a question about Kotetsu Serizawa. All I know about the military is reruns Star Trek and M*A*S*H so forgive my ignorance, but how do we know this character is a General and not an Admiral? The website lists his rank as 宇将; 宇 means "space" and 将 can mean General or Admiral.
I agree with Ithekro: General.

Quote:
Apparently he favors an Earth evacuation policy called Operation Izumo.
Yes, that was the plan he was backing — "The Izumo Plan" (計画 keikaku = plan / 作戦 sakusen = operation) building a new ship to evacuate the Earth: The Yamato. After they were contacted by Iscandar, they changed it up to "The Yamato Plan" to retrieve the radiation-removal tech from Iscandar.
Old 2012-04-10, 19:14   Link #286
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Third Lieutenants....sigh.

Is that before or after their promotion? I'm going to assume before since that does not make sense the other way around even in the Japanese Self-Defense Forces (which had first and second lieutenants...first being a higher rank than second). Which means they've added a lower rank, or shifted the old first lieutenant rank name up to the old army rank of "captain" so as to not confuse people (as an Army Captain and a Navy Captain are two very different ranks).

If they follow that, than Kodai, Shima, and Mori are the US Navy equivalents of Ensigns at the start (with silver one bar). UK Royal Navy would call them Sub-lieutenants. Army would call them Second Lieutenants. (but then again it the entire silver and gold rank bars problem..unless they added a rank or two)

Following their promotion (three gold bar) they would be I suppose now "First Lieutenants" if one assumes that two bars is a "Second Lieutenant".
That is two steps up, so the US and UK Navy would call them just a Lieutenant, but in the Armies of most of the world...that is a Captain.

The only difficulty between Sanada and Mamoru's ranks are the color difference of their shoulder pins. Sanada's is gold and Mamoru's is silver. Since this pattern is not, from what I can find, in the Japanese Self Defense Forces, I have to assume they are using US patterns that do use gold and silver officers ranks. If this is the case, The gold ranked pin "I>" is major and the silver ranked pin "I>" is Lieutenant Colonel. Or the navy version of those ranks: (gold oak leaf) Lt. Commander and (silver oak leaf) Commander. Commander being the higher rank...just one stop below naval Captain or army Colonel. The one cruiser captain we see just before the destroyer runs into its bridge during the Battle at Pluto had the same rank as Mamoru...a silver "I>" pin.

It is possible they have the same rank. It is possible they reversed the order (as gold would seem higher than silver to most people), but given that there seem to be a difference in ranks depending on silver or gold color...something isn't translating. That or silver means something like provisional as we see people with one or two silver bars as well as Mamoru Kodai's silver rank.
Old 2012-04-10, 19:19   Link #287
August138

Your guess is as good as mine, I had Kodai, Shima, and Yuki, after they board the Yamato, as Lieutenants... and Sanada as a Lieutenant Commander. I suppose that if someone licenses this in the States, we if have this ranking system all sorted out, perhaps they can modify them in the next-gen English Subs... and will they bother? Or are we just being anal?
Old 2012-04-10, 19:21   Link #288
denshousha

Here's the reference I've been using with regard to the ranks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...-Defense_Force

I've been using this for the Cosmo Falcon pilots:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...-Defense_Force
Old 2012-04-10, 19:21   Link #289
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

...damnit, at this point it seems like the most expedient thing the creators could do at this point would be to just give us a listing of all the Cosmo navy ranks and insignia's
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 19:34   Link #290
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The biggest problem I have with them using Defense Forces ranks is that they seem to be using them wrong....visually at least. They likely have the naming pattern perfectly fine. Because visually, based on Mamoru and Yamamani's ranks, they are using Enlisted ranks as they basis for these things. And somehow I think the Captain of the Kirishima has a higher rank than Sergeant Major.

It is perhaps anal, but it would be nice to be able to see who has what rank. While the simple, "he's got more bars", works most of the time...there whole gold and silver thing is really messed up. Sci-fi fans and military fans and historians are picky like that.
Old 2012-04-10, 19:39   Link #291
denshousha

From Japanese Wikipedia:
Ranks can be determined by their shoulder marks (Epaulettes)

(Marks drawn in ASCII)
Admiral: 「IIII」
Captain: 「III>」
Commander: Not listed on Wikipedia, but probably 「II>」
Lt. Commander: 「I>」
Lieutenant: 「III」
Lieutenant JG: 「II」
Ensign: 「I」

Warrant Officer: 「II」
Enlisted: 「I」
Old 2012-04-10, 19:45   Link #292
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So the main weirdness is Kodai's 「I>」

My old Jane's Fighting Ships from 1936 (a British publication) has things listed:

Sho-i Ko-hodei (Midshipmen)
Sho-i (Acting Sub-Lieutenant)
Chu-i (Sub-Lieutenant)
Tai-i (Lieutenant)
Sho-sa (Lieutenant Commander)
Chu-sa (Commander)
Tai-sa (Captain)
Sho-sho (Rear Admiral)
Chu-sho (Vice Admiral)
Tai-sho (Admiral)
Old 2012-04-10, 20:02   Link #293
denshousha

Going by Japanese Wikipedia:

Admiral: Okita, Hijikata, Serizawa (General?)
Captain: Yamanami
Commander: Sado (Civilian equiv.)
Lt. Commander: Sanada, Tokugawa, Mamoru Kodai
Lieutenant: Susumu Kodai, Shima, Mori, Niimi, Hirata
Lt. J.G.: Nanbu, Ito, Kato (1st. Lt.), Yamazaki
Ensign: Aihara, Ohta, Yamamoto, Shinohara (2nd Lt.)
Warrant Officer: Misaki, Hoshina
Chief Petty Officer: Enomoto
Petty Officer 1st Class: Yabu
Old 2012-04-11, 00:01   Link #294
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Now that the ranks are more or less out of the way, I'm more concerned as to how they will progress the story. The notes of the future episodes makes it seem like they are going faster, yet they are also adding more characters, such as the suggestion they are giving Gantz and Schultz more backstory. That and providing more background for people that really had almost nothing known about them, such as Yamamoto and Nanbu.

Having not yet seen episode Two, I can't guess how they handle the remaining character introductions and the like. I don't even know if we have been introducted to everyone of the crew yet.

Though I suppose cutting the narration from each episode might help a little. The weekly (story so far) narration usually took a good minute or two each week. Also cutting the long establishing shots I guess would gain a little here and there. "Show, not tell" storytelling.

EDIT:

Just on a whim I watched both episode Ones side by side. I wasn't trying to pay attention to what was said, just watching to see when and where plot point hits. Each one seems to go faster than the other at different points only to meet up again later.

Points that almost line up perfectly after the Battle at Pluto starts: Signal that the ship from Iscandar arrives in system. Susumu Kodai and Shima walking up to the escape pod. Mamoru Kodai's destroyer fighting off the Gamius destroyer. Kodai and Shima's plane docking with the Flagship/Kirishima. Kodai noticing Yuki Mori for the first time. Kodai and Shima's second plane intercepting the Gamilus recon fighter. Discovering Yamato. All those scenes line up almost perfectly with each other between 1974 and 2012.

The Battle at Pluto is almost the exact same length as before. The new version might be half a minute longer as stuff happens faster and with more purpose than in 1974. Also sometimes in a different order. Also giving the crew personality via the engineering staff and Captain Yamamani. And the crew of the Yukikaze.

At least one scene seems to have been saved for the second episode. The transmission from Starsha was in the first episode in 1974, as was the introduction of Analyzer. In there place is stuff with Hijikata, introducing Kato, Sanada, Nanbu,...the doctor's nurse, and his drinking habit.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-11 at 01:11. Reason: watching both versions side by side.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-11, 20:28   Link #295
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Random thought:

One assumes there will be a box set after all these 7 discs are released. Any idea what the price difference might be if one waited to get the box set verses getting the 7 BD (plus shipping) over the next year?
Old 2012-04-13, 01:24   Link #296
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Volume 2 (Episodes 3-6) up for preorder.

BD: http://www.amiami.co...0%24pagecnt%3D1

DVD: http://www.amiami.co...0%24pagecnt%3D1
Old 2012-04-13, 05:25   Link #297
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
Volume 2 (Episodes 3-6) up for preorder.

BD: http://www.amiami.co...0%24pagecnt%3D1

DVD: http://www.amiami.co...0%24pagecnt%3D1
Corrupt links. Correct links:

BD: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B007RRXG82/

DVD: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B007RRXG7S/
Old 2012-04-14, 11:15   Link #298
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
So wait, I'm confused. This is a TV series, but being released one episode a month on BD/DVD or something?
Old 2012-04-14, 11:25   Link #299
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
So wait, I'm confused. This is a TV series, but being released one episode a month on BD/DVD or something?
Actually I was under the impression that this was a movie series first, or at the very least direct-to-DVD/BR given how many people were surprised to find Episode 01 even aired.
Old 2012-04-14, 12:28   Link #300
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Movie/OVA series first. TV later.

The series is 26 episodes long. Grouped up into 7 movies (which are basically in an OVA format save that they are all shown in theaters first).

The first movie was shown last weekend and is still showing. At the theater one could buy a limited edition BD (which is almost entirely sold out presently). The normal BD and DVD release on May 25th.

Some station showed the first episode as a sort of promotion for the movie. The movie is the first two episodes.

The next movie comes out on June 30th and will be the next four episodes. (Its BD and DVD come out July 27th). No news yet on when Movie 3 comes out, though I hope it is at a quicker pace than one every 12 weeks. (it be nice if the show started airing one year after the movie release...cause symbolism works. To do that and still have time for theater and BD sales for movie Seven they would need to release faster than that so the last four episodes come out after the the last film. Than prep for the next season by April 2014, as that would fit the timeline perfectly from 2199 to 2201.)

So there are people that have seen episodes One and Two. No one to my knowledge has put up Episode Two anywhere. Aside from a few pictures here and there. Though it does confirm that the BD version has English subtitles.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-14 at 12:49.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato