Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-20, 16:25   Link #1101
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh mine is at 47% so I'm not confident on the procs. Unless wells happen to proc.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 16:47   Link #1102
Xion Valkyrie

47% is good enough. The superior fire one procs at 30%. The cooldown is 5 seconds so you should be able to get it to proc once every 5 seconds. The damage is much higher than the 5% you get from Force over time.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 18:11   Link #1103
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode120x View Post
After months of inactivity and browsing this thread, I've decided to return with a new character, but this time trying to play the RP style. My main character I just skipped through all the cut scenes and just played the game like any regular MMO (level up and get gear).

I'm contemplating between a Charr or Human Elementalist or Rogue. Anyone have any experience with Elementalists? I remember reading awhile back that their DPS and over profession is quite underpowered, especially the water element (healing).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Elementalists are by far and wide the hardest profession to master. I don't think they're under powered, but there is definitely a hierarchy when it comes to pvp.

...Thieves (closely followed by mesmers and guardians) are probably the best pvp race, but they're not the greatest when it comes to pvp...Which is why I leveled a warrior for pve(they're terrible at pvp), and will be using a thief for pvp/wvw.

Actually Elem are one of the best PvP(WvW) killers.... Elem is both great at PvE & PvP(WvW) , and Elem D/D - S/D isn't really that hard to master...
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 19:43   Link #1104
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

I saw a lot of info/builds on D/D and S/D, but hardly any on Staff, is it not viable weapon to use? I'm well aware of it's slow casting time.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 22:33   Link #1105
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Actually Elem are one of the best PvP(WvW) killers.... Elem is both great at PvE & PvP(WvW) , and Elem D/D - S/D isn't really that hard to master...
Ele is one of the few classes I can easily kill as a warrior. Thieves and Guardians...good luck. D/D thief build is just plain dumb with how often they can cloak, and guardians are so hard to bring down, even with a glass cannon build. And Mesmers aren't any easier because they can spam illusions endlessly. I guess Ele would shine during a zerg or defending a building. Which is mostly what wvw is, anyways.
Old 2013-02-21, 10:26   Link #1106
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode120x View Post
I saw a lot of info/builds on D/D and S/D, but hardly any on Staff, is it not viable weapon to use? I'm well aware of it's slow casting time.
I'll say Staff is more a support weapon both PvE & PvP(WvW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Ele is one of the few classes I can easily kill as a warrior. Thieves and Guardians...good luck. D/D thief build is just plain dumb with how often they can cloak, and guardians are so hard to bring down, even with a glass cannon build. And Mesmers aren't any easier because they can spam illusions endlessly. I guess Ele would shine during a zerg or defending a building. Which is mostly what wvw is, anyways.
You just encountered bad elem. Staff elem are just piece of cake too.
Say hi the day you'll see an unkillable D/D elem.
Well , i'm not gonna argue more , you'll see for yourself.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 22:37   Link #1107
FateAnomaly

Ele is the hardest class to master imo. You have to learn to switch attunements fluidly but once you do is incredible good. Ele is just my alt and i don't really play it too much so i just focus on 2 elements.

I have nearly all classes at lv80 leveled by map completions so far. Based on my playstyle pve-wise, easiest to level up thru map clearing is
1) engineer and necro : turrets and wells make most encounter rather easy.
2) ranger and guardian : ranger has a meatshield while guardian is the meatshield itself.
3) warrior and ele : high dps with good down skill
4) thieft and mes : thief have high dps but drop too easily. Mes does everything mediocrely but it is actually easier to use at lv80 than other class for me. (I main this)
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 18:08   Link #1108
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

FYI for those that don't have GW2 it's currently on sale for 30% off at their main site only until February 25th.

Old 2013-02-25, 08:40   Link #1109
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Ah yes, isn't it swell that the best necro ranged auto attacks are on the scepter (mostly conditions so fuck you if someone else stacks bleeds), and also staff which does like negative dps? Oh there's also the axe but it might as well be a rubber chicken.

So I moved a bloodlust sigil over to the staff and use an environmental laser gun to build up those stacks from an Orr vendor. That is how terrible the autoattack is.

In the end, we have two weapons that don't suck. Scepter and dagger. The later of which has practically no range, so scepter it is, unless I want to pretend I'm a gimped warrior/guardian with no cleave.

I mean, lol. When my friend dinged 80, we outfited the warrior with just some cheap green berserker gear. I was trying to show him how to play (note that I have never played a warrior before), and was like "wtf! This is so much easier". I don't know what most of the skills do, but switching to GS, spamming 2 and button mashing all the signets seems to work far better than anything else I can on a necro.

Though I hope Arenanet will fix the class eventually. I'm just too stubborn and consider rerolling to a bandwagon to be an act of cowardice (this is also why I didn't abandon my wvw server despite the fact that the outnumbered buff used to appear every time I joined), so feel free to ignore me.

But man, those consumables are nice. I should spend a ton on the stealh one.

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-02-25 at 15:06.
Old 2013-03-29, 12:07   Link #1110
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Is anyone still playing Guild Wars 2 after the recent tons of updates it's been getting?
Old 2013-03-29, 12:12   Link #1111
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I've burnt out on WvWvW. It's just so impersonal, and I couldn't find any motivation to continue. The decision to not even show enemy names makes it essentially fighting a bunch of NPCs really, considering the level of intelligence of the zerg.

I did return for the "living story", but after running around repairing road signs, I have to wonder what they're paying their marketing director, because that guy/girl could earn a fortune being a campaign manager.

On the plus side, I can always return to the game at some point down the road without paying anything. So, I'll likely stick my head back in from time to time.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 12:52   Link #1112
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
So I've been playing the game since release now, with the exception of about two months of a break due to the lack of motivation. And I am just now starting to really dive into it. I've been struggling for seven months now, to find a class that I can enjoy in all aspects of the game. I tried the Warrior first, didn't like it at all for WvW, but just kept playing anyway, because I didn't want to have multiple characters, but instead focus all my efforts into one of them. Eventually, though, I just couldn't do it anymore. I had a break of about two months, came back and leveled and almost fully geared a thief, a mesmer, a necro and a guardian in that order. None of them satisfied me except for the guardian, which is now fully equipped as well and a blast to play in WvW.

I just love standing there with my staff as two zergs clash, supporting with might, protection, regeneration, retaliation, stability, heals and condition removals. I really feel like I am impacting the game, which was not at all the case with the warrior. I had that feeling with the necromancer and mesmer, but I just didn't like their playstyle. Since the update with world ranks, it is even more motivating to only focus on the guardian, who now has the first piece of ascended gear of all my characters. I'm also working on getting that awesome T3 Norn armor. I gotta say, GW2 hasn't been that much fun for me since launch.
Old 2013-03-29, 13:39   Link #1113
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Is anyone still playing Guild Wars 2 after the recent tons of updates it's been getting?
havent touch this game in ages. i was planning to
farm and grind for golds to get the cultural tier 3 armor
for my ranger. and then somewhere around the line, i just
gotten bore of the grinding and didnt bother playing this
game for a really LONG time now.
Old 2013-03-29, 16:23   Link #1114
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Well atm I'm kinda taking a small break from the game(playing Civ V) but I do know that the recent update has or supposed to have fixed alot of what the posters above have commented on(haven't actually jumped on to give it a good try out yet)
As far as I know now WvW has been vastly improved performance wise.
The Living story is supposed to have really kicked off now with it introducing 2 new instances.
They are def making alot of good improvements to the game now and I look forward at what is to come.

Only reason I've taken a wee break is cause I had pre-ordered Bioshock Infinite which also came with 1st Bioshock, Civ V and X-com
I'll probably be back wasting hours away on it once again shortly tho, I really do love the game
Old 2013-03-29, 20:03   Link #1115
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Well, now that I think back on it. Guild Wars itself wasn't that enticing to me until Factions released. Mostly because of the whole war effort, and the awesome faction armors that you could get. Also because of the Guild Hall, getting NPCs for it, and the alliance adding friends and foes and such. So giving them time to do things for Guild Wars 2, I'm sure they can fix/improve many things like with this update.
Old 2013-03-30, 01:50   Link #1116
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

It's been fun. Leveling my guardian atm.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-03-30, 02:09   Link #1117
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I had an idea of trying the game out but ended up unable to. The website rejects my credit card, claiming the information is invalid (which it's not).

Guess they don't want my money.

Edit: I bought it on Amazon for the same-ish price.

This game is weird. Why are low level mobs wiping the floor with me? The dynamic event thing is weird. The avoidance roll only seems to work when it wants to. The story quests are often an exercise in frustration when a shitton of mobs spawn right on top of me and then kill me in 4 hits.

And every single person I talk to who plays this game says the instances are horrible. This doesn't bode well for my continued interest in the game...

Character creation was pretty awesome though.

Last edited by synaesthetic; 2013-03-31 at 05:47.
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 06:21   Link #1118
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

You can just press V to dodge.

As for the story instances, they do ramp up in levels really fast. Part of the idea is to explore the world and do the story quests on the side when you get to them. That's why they're usually spread far across the map.

The game's interface does take a lot to get used to.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-03-31, 08:07   Link #1119
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Dodge, dodge and more dodging!
Dodging is a very important part of the gameplay, it keeps you alive.
However you can't simply keep spamming it, the little orange bar above your HP is how many dodges you can do which is 2 when full.
You really have to learn to dodge when required but at first getting used to using dodge alot is important.
I'd map it to a extra easy reachable mouse button for good use.
Just kinda keep an eye out for big movements by the enemy, it's usually a 2sec animation that gives you the change to dodge.

Dynamic events is a great feature imo.
Much more fun than traditional quest hunting since anyone can jump in and partake on the events.
It can be great fun at later stages with some meta events for ares where loads of people jump in.
Doing a shout out on the map chat to rally the troops and seeing them pour in is great fun.

Instances aren't bad but some aren't that great.
They are supposed to be revamping them but so far only Ascalonion Catacombs(first dungeon you can do) has been revamped recently which has been pretty good, they have made it more fun but at some points it can be abit much especially for lower level toons.
However they did add a set of instances that are great fun and they are the Fractals, which you can join at any level as they scale you to 80 to play in.
Each time you jump in to do a fractal you have to complete 3 mini instances(ectra 4th instance on even number difficultly levels)
Generally not too long in length unless your team is crap(first time at swamp was a nightmare)

A little perseverance is gonna be needed but there is alot to like about GWII.

Last night a guild opened up a Guild rush and let anyone take part in it, was great fun
Old 2013-03-31, 09:40   Link #1120
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
This game is weird. Why are low level mobs wiping the floor with me? The dynamic event thing is weird. The avoidance roll only seems to work when it wants to. The story quests are often an exercise in frustration when a shitton of mobs spawn right on top of me and then kill me in 4 hits.
Not your typical MMORPG huh