AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-05-29, 10:53   Link #221
InstantRamen

Is it just me or is Mugen's voice the same as Zoro's from One Piece?

BTW, does anyone know when the DVDs will be released here in the US? I know Geneon has the licence...
InstantRamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 11:27   Link #222
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantRamen
Is it just me or is Mugen's voice the same as Zoro's from One Piece?

BTW, does anyone know when the DVDs will be released here in the US? I know Geneon has the licence...
Assuming the series is 26 eps, the last ep will air 6 months from now and then Geneon usually waits another 6 months from the last ep to release the first dvd. One year seems like a long time but Geneon is the fastest of the anime companies.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 11:57   Link #223
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Yes, mugan is voiced by the guy from One Piece who does Zoro.

It's been discussed several times already. hehe.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 14:03   Link #224
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
since we cant see episode 2 what are your predictions on what it will be ?

Im thinking its going to be laid back. More comical. With a little bit of action. And alot of story behind Jin.
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 15:21   Link #225
InstantRamen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Yes, mugan is voiced by the guy from One Piece who does Zoro.

It's been discussed several times already. hehe.
Oh my bad, this thread is really really long and I didn't feel like reading through all 12 pages. Sorry for asking a question that was already answered.

Anyway, SC rocks! I can't wait for the second episode.
InstantRamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 15:30   Link #226
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

hehe. Don't feel bad. I know plenty of people who do the same thing, me included.

I only read a long thread from front to back if I'm really, really bored.
Old 2004-05-29, 16:27   Link #227
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpixel
since we cant see episode 2 what are your predictions on what it will be ?

Im thinking its going to be laid back. More comical. With a little bit of action. And alot of story behind Jin.
Next episode summary. Put it in spoilers tags for people who don't want to know but still talk about what they would like to see. If you do look at it please don't give it away.

Spoiler:
kagetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 16:30   Link #228
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagetsu
Next episode summary. Put it in spoilers tags for people who don't want to know but still talk about what they would like to see. If you do look at it please don't give it away.

Spoiler:
ahh thanks man. that sounds pretty sweet. now i want to see it more.
Old 2004-05-29, 23:53   Link #229
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Sheesh. They get in trouble right off the bat in EP1 and they keep doing it right through episode two. hehe. Man, this series is most definately not going to slow down anytime soon. hehe. Sweet.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2004-05-31 at 14:50.
Old 2004-05-30, 15:03   Link #230
Sir Baka

Does anyone know if the VA who did the voice for the Prefect's Son has done a voice for a character in One Piece? He sounds familar, but I can't remember where from.
Sir Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 15:45   Link #231
dyuken

Samurai Champloo HIP HOP CULTURE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |)arK_Nin
Um....... HELL no. The main thing I listen to (about 90%) is hiphop. The hell you talkin about. Ive listened to it for all my life, its what I grew up on and all my friends listen to it. I can think of 2 friends off the top of my head that listen to rock music, maybe more if I take a min and think. Ok? Dont ever try to judge a whole group of people because they arent feeling the song that you do. Ok, let me give you an example, I like Three 6 Mafia, my friend doesnt. Am I gonna say, "Its clear that you have some type of grudge against hiphop" to him because he doesnt like it? Take a guess.

Um, they dont. I would say the main group with the "us vs. them" mentality would be people who like rock and shiat. Am I saying that every person who likes rock has that mentality? No. Im really into hip-hop and I could give a damn if someone doesnt like the music I do. Thats the world kids.
First off, HIP HOP IS NOT A MUSIC its a culture. Hip hop or rap music is the musical expression of that culture. DJing, Bboying (break dance) and graffitti are the other elements of the culture. While I applaud the director for choosing to use hip hop as a musical accompaniment in Samurai Champloo, I am waiting to see if the work teachs us anything real about the culture.

I must say that as a older youth whose culture is decidely hip hop, I am very leary of any attempt to compartmentalize any portion of my culture, by people who simply have no real understanding of what it is. Even most of the guys who create RAP MUSIC have no real idea about what hip hop culture really entails. In this I think the Japanese and other people on the international scene are at an advantage. Just like with Jazz in the early 20th century, real hip hop music has found a voice not here in america but overseas in Europe and Japan.

Even still, in Japan, hip hop is a tiny subculture where some people will do anything from dreadlocks to taning boothes to assimilate the outward trappings of the black people who created hip hop. This terrifies me because, once again the focus is on the aesthetic instead of the movement.

This is what I hope Samurai Champloo, an excellent anime so far as I have seen, makes an attempt to avoid.
dyuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 19:48   Link #232
nil
nothing yet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Baka
Does anyone know if the VA who did the voice for the Prefect's Son has done a voice for a character in One Piece? He sounds familar, but I can't remember where from.
The seiyu of Prefect's Son is YABE Masashi (or known as YABE Masahito). He also played
GANTZ - NISHI Joichiro
DANDOH!! - ISHIGAMI Ichiro
Jubei-chan2 - White Tiger Ninzaemon
and so on.

He has nothing to do with ONEPIECE.

Last edited by nil; 2004-05-30 at 22:21.
nil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 21:25   Link #233
SassyRobot

I have a question about the voice actors too; who plays the voice of the prefect? He sounds really familiar... sorry if this has been asked before, but i didn't see it.
SassyRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 07:50   Link #234
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Baka
He sounded just like Sanji (from One Piece) to me, but it doesn't appear to be the same person.
Old 2004-05-31, 14:47   Link #235
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I didn't really think he sounded all that similar to Sanji IMO.
Old 2004-06-01, 09:43   Link #236
UssoKK

Coming in a little late, I'm going to say that the Hip-Hop aspect of Samurai Champloo is kinda woven into the background, and it's not too blatant or foward. (I.e, although the songs, and scene transitions, and attitudes of the characters have a hip-hop feel, you won't see some dreadlocked DJ with baggy gold chains walking down feudal era Japan. Yet.....)
And since I admit I'm not a fan AT ALL of Hip-hop, nor am I anywhere near the cuture it comes from, I like the fact that H.H is not too foward and direct.
UssoKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 05:24   Link #237
swerv
Stay Up

there's links to the translated Samurai Champloo website earlier in this thread with episode summaries, please don't spoil here!
Old 2004-06-02, 18:46   Link #238
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Yesss finally episode 2 aired. Gonna watch it and see how it is.

EDIT: here are some screen caps

I really liked this episode. It was great! i cant understand what they were saying but i knew what was going on. Anyway im gonna go watch it again
Spoiler for lots of episode 2 screenshots:

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-06-02 at 23:31. Reason: Added the spoiler tag
Old 2004-06-02, 20:16   Link #239
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator

Man those screenshots look totally awesome!

ChoBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-02, 22:22   Link #240
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
Does anyone know how long it will be before this comes to an actual DVD that you could buy?
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical