AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-04-05, 17:40   Link #321
spikexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Task Manager usually allows you to shut down completely an errant browser that's still in memory, by looking for it in the Processes tab. Also, why not upgrade to 8gb?
Company computer not mine.
I know i can close them, sometime I don't have choice.
When I was first running firefox/chrome/opera + photoshop + eclipse + thunderbird + many other program needed for my job, 4gb was too little... Now I use less resource heavy program. Replaced eclipse with sublimetext2, photoshop doesn't stay opened for long. I can go a day before I need to force close any program to free memory.

@felix
Program that run for too long seem to have difficulty freeing memory. Don't know if it's windows or the program.

Non standard code, possible, I need to do within time constrain (don't like that part of my job, to little time to improve current code), but my html base is good, css and design ain't my thing.
But I can say, I mostly develop with firefox, opera and latter test with chrome in mind, while other college only use chrome (don't even have a up-to-date firefox).
Most of the fix I need to do are for chrome or ie8 (and mobile, but that's another thing).

Chrome tools are good when debugging network or javascript, but I find the styles section to be awful when compared to firebug. Chrome might offer more than what I know of.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 18:18   Link #322
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
but I find the styles section to be awful when compared to firebug. Chrome might offer more than what I know of.
Just curious, what exactly?

To the best of my knowledge in chrome,
  • you can set source maps if you need em
  • you can edit properties; if touchy feely styling is your thing (autocomplete enabled)
  • you can enable disable rules (you'll also get the standard crossed text if it's overwritten)
  • you can expand rules, so a shorthand font rule can be expanded into a long version if you like it like that
  • you can save from browser to your hdd if you run locally
  • you can disable browser properties (ie. user agent style, or gray blocks)
  • you can view and edit metrics visually
  • you can force all colors to show as hex (or your preferred color representation)
  • you can pin the window to the bottom or right or pop it out entirely
  • you can emulate CSS media types
  • you can emulate any screen size (so you don't have to be silly and shrink your window you just tell it to display at that size)
  • you can search source; so if you know you want elements with the class menu-item you can search ".menu-item" obviously you can search for id's too, or just about any other text so "#something.other" if you are specific with it, it'll be strict and will find only those specific elements, otherwise if you just do "something" it's loose and will find "something-or-other" too.
  • you can remove html
  • you can add in or edit on the fly
  • you can force an element into a specific state, so say you want to style :hove, you can just force an element to stay in hover, you don't have to hover over it non-stop
  • you can view the shadow dom

Quote:
Program that run for too long seem to have difficulty freeing memory. Don't know if it's windows or the program.
Memory that's shown isn't necessarily memory that's used, and yes unix based operating systems tend to manage memory differently along with many other things. Typically this is why people claim you will never get BSOD-equivalent on unix, but from my experience (as with chrome) while it works sometimes when you do crash hard to just crash everything.
Old 2013-04-05, 22:43   Link #323
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Sites not working in IE 10 almost always work with compatibility view, so I think the whole "it doesn't work on lots of sites" is a tad overblown. I mean, I am a Chrome adherent, but I think IE gets far more flak than it deserves because...it's cool to hate IE.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 06:20   Link #324
Haiprbim
Banned

On my computer, I'm using Firefox, but on my Nexus 4, I'm using Google Chrome.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 12:30   Link #325
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Sites not working in IE 10 almost always work with compatibility view, so I think the whole "it doesn't work on lots of sites" is a tad overblown. I mean, I am a Chrome adherent, but I think IE gets far more flak than it deserves because...it's cool to hate IE.
No...I am a staunch IE user until it switched to 10. In fact I still use IE frequently. Is just that when you try switching back to IE9 standards or IE 10 compatibility the whole site tends to become unviewable for me
Old 2013-04-06, 21:55   Link #326
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Rather than it's cool, it's more like it used to be so infernally horribad that everyone just have PTSDs of the malware, the bloat, the non-functioning websites, and for the masses of web developers, the horror of having to comply to Microsoft's arrogance against web standards and the resulting mess.

It has, of course, gotten much better since 9 and 10. I find them quite usable, though in the end I ended up clandestinely installing Firefox portable at work because I'm just more comfortable with the lady Fox.

In any case, I've never gotten used to Chrome. Chrome isn't better -- or worse. Every browser has its quirks. I know Firefox's quirks; I cannot stand to "learn" Chrome's.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 14:00   Link #327
Transitions
by John Digweed House Mix

Send a message via MSN to Transitions
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranuus View Post
Personally I use Internet Explorer since in it's latest version, it tends to work stably, is faster than some of the previous builds, and generally it just works; even if it abuses the standards, it's an unfortunate truth that most websites are built with IE compatibility in mind, as the largest target browser demographic, I've seen websites from large companies that are incompatible with several other browsers like firefox.
what version of IE?? 7? this is the best version than the lastes versions
are shit, i like Chrome it's better, in windows and Linux
Old 2013-04-14, 18:13   Link #328
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

I use a Firefox variant (Pale Moon on Windows, Swiftweasel on Linux) and Opera. I usually switch between the two depending on what I need to do.
Old 2013-05-29, 08:27   Link #329
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Opera Next 15 is now available for download.

For those who haven't been following this thread, N15 is the first Opera build to drop the Presto Engine and embrace Chromium/Blink instead (you can tell just by the installer size, which has almost doubled due to Chrome's bloat). As such, it is lacking a LOT of features (from what I hear through the grapevine, the Opera Skins are about to follow the dinosaurs, the European lion and the mammoths into the land of extinction) and should not be used as an everyday browser.

Oh, and in case you haven't heard of it either, Opera has decided to splice the Mail functionality away from the main source code. Opera Mail is now a completely standalone application (yes, it's now going into Thunderbird/Outlook territory).
Old 2013-05-29, 17:25   Link #330
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Oh, and in case you haven't heard of it either, Opera has decided to splice the Mail functionality away from the main source code. Opera Mail is now a completely standalone application (yes, it's now going into Thunderbird/Outlook territory).
They had been promising this feature for a very long time, although there was some deliberation over whether the mail client would be a separate program or an optional install. I used Opera as my mail client, RSS reader, and browser for a number of years, and switched away shortly after moving to Mac OS X and noting that tighter integration with OS X core services wasn't a priority for Opera; if I were still using them, I'd welcome this split between browser and mail client.
Old 2013-05-30, 13:18   Link #331
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Been using Chrome ever since Firefox and Adobe Flash Player decided to hate each other and constantly fight, using up all my system resources and causing my web browser to hang every 15-20 seconds for 3-4 seconds.
Old 2013-05-30, 13:45   Link #332
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Opera Next 15 is now available for download.

For those who haven't been following this thread, N15 is the first Opera build to drop the Presto Engine and embrace Chromium/Blink instead (you can tell just by the installer size, which has almost doubled due to Chrome's bloat). As such, it is lacking a LOT of features (from what I hear through the grapevine, the Opera Skins are about to follow the dinosaurs, the European lion and the mammoths into the land of extinction) and should not be used as an everyday browser.

It does feel exactly like chrome only slightly faster and doesn't appear to open a process for every tab (god that "feature" is stupid). Sadly not really feeling the theme, but then again haven't used opera in a long time.
Old 2013-05-30, 20:46   Link #333
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Company computer not mine.
I know i can close them, sometime I don't have choice.
When I was first running firefox/chrome/opera + photoshop + eclipse + thunderbird + many other program needed for my job, 4gb was too little... Now I use less resource heavy program. Replaced eclipse with sublimetext2, photoshop doesn't stay opened for long. I can go a day before I need to force close any program to free memory.
If you work with Photoshop, especially handling and editing 300dpi PSDs with multiple layers, yes, you'll be maxing out the system memory, more than any other program. Dunno why your company doesn't allow for a cheap 8gb upgrade?
Old 2013-06-02, 03:47   Link #334
sneaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
It [...] doesn't appear to open a process for every tab (god that "feature" is stupid).
It surely does look like that on my system.

Other than that: this hasn't much to do with Opera except for maybe the logo and the mouse gestures. Everything else is missing and it's something totally different.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 10:08   Link #335
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Opera 15 is out.

Spoiler for changelog:

Not sure whether I'll upgrade, I'm still pretty comfortable with v12.15 (which still has the RSS/Mail system in-built [which I use quite frequently to receive RSS updates], unlike v15).

EDIT: made a separate install and immediately had an Gabriel Iglesias "oh hell no" reaction to the ultra-minimalist UI (wtf they merged the bookmarks with the speed dial). You can tell they completely gutted the old Opera. The new engine is fast, but I prefer Opera v12.15 by a thousand parsecs - at least I can customize it the way I want.

As for v15: trashcanned with a Damnatio Memoriae slapped on top of it.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-07-02 at 17:15.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 04:27   Link #336
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Don't like the new interface.

It's still the best option for low end systems. I'm at my parents and it's the fastest browser.
Old 2013-07-04, 03:24   Link #337
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, at least Opera has promised to keep working on future updates for v12.x, so I'm happy I won't have to force myself to use that v15 horror (oh, and some Opera users have drafted a list of old Opera features that will or will not make their comeback in future v15 updates) for some time.

In other news, the backlash over v15 has been big enough to generate online petitions aimed at making the old Presto engine open source (the one I linked to has no supporters/signatures ATM). I don't think Opera will indulge the Presto nostalgics, but I'm still crossing my fingers one of these will succeed.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-07-04 at 04:39.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 15:41   Link #338
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
In other news, the backlash over v15 has been big enough to generate online petitions aimed at making the old Presto engine open source (the one I linked to has no supporters/signatures ATM). I don't think Opera will indulge the Presto nostalgics, but I'm still crossing my fingers one of these will succeed.
Does anyone really care whether Opera is using Presto, Webkit, or Blink? It's all about the user interface and the features, and Opera could just as well maintain what it had in version 12 with a different render engine in place.
Old 2013-07-10, 12:38   Link #339
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Does anyone really care whether Opera is using Presto, Webkit, or Blink? It's all about the user interface and the features, and Opera could just as well maintain what it had in version 12 with a different render engine in place.
Personally I don't. At most what I care was that presto was the most efficient of all the engines. And by efficient what I mean is it will run even on the worst systems, so you can push it really really far (opening hundreds of tabs and such) where as in chrome the very architecture makes the idea of opening tabs stupid.

On the other hand the firefly inspector was 2nd worst next to IE's. Then again Chrome spoils developers with it's tooling.
Old 2013-08-03, 21:14   Link #340
AnimeFan188

Where have all the good browsers gone?:

"Using an Internet browser has become such a requirement that you'd think we'd
have one that really works. Alas, we do not. I bounce back and forth between
Internet Explorer and Chrome on Windows, between Firefox and Chrome on
Linux and between Safari and Chrome on my iOS devices but none are working
all that well for me. I need a reliable, stable, do-everything browser that is also
cross-platform and I just can't find one that I'm satisfied with. It's very
frustrating. To heck with the old adage, "Build a better mousetrap and the world
will beat a path to your door." What we need is a better browser. You can name
it "Mousetrap" if you want to. I just want it to work.

At this very moment there's a conversation with my Google+ homies concerning
Chrome eating up 100% CPU on Linux. It does it on Windows too, by the way. I
often have to deal with Chrome crashing on my Windows 7 PC. Often, I'll have it
crash on my iPad or iPhone. And sometimes in Linux, it just disappears without a
trace.

Firefox seems to be no better as one of the respondents in the Google+
conversation just said, "Incidentally, I'm getting a very similar result with FF and
the same number of tabs open so not sure why some people seem to have
better results with that."

Apparently I'm not the only one receiving bad mojo from browsers."

See:

http://www.zdnet.com/where-have-all-...ne-7000018874/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chrome, excited, firefox, internet explorer, opera, reviews