AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-03, 04:22   Link #141
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Oh, hey. I didn't play the eroge and therefore know nothing about the plot and premise of the series in general, but aisde from that, it looks like it ripped off every other mahou shoujo series out there, and it's terribly cute, so it must be shitty! Let's bash it out of ignorance and proclaim it as fact! After all, it's just the first episode, surely everything the anime is about can be said in this episode alone, right? Like Nanoha!

Oh damn. Even though I've been writing about it on my blog, I guess people are too knee-deep in ignorance nowadays to bother. INTERNETS, WHERE OPINIONS ARE JUSTIFIED AS FACTS. AND THAT'S A FACT.

No, I'm not a fanboy, but I am amused at the initial reactions.
Old 2007-07-03, 04:31   Link #142
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhjegel View Post
Oh, hey. I didn't play the eroge and therefore know nothing about the plot and premise of the series in general, but aisde from that, it looks like it ripped off every other mahou shoujo series out there, and it's terribly cute, so it must be shitty! Let's bash it out of ignorance and proclaim it as fact! After all, it's just the first episode, surely everything the anime is about can be said in this episode alone, right? Like Nanoha!

Oh damn. Even though I've been writing about it on my blog, I guess people are too knee-deep in ignorance nowadays to bother. INTERNETS, WHERE OPINIONS ARE JUSTIFIED AS FACTS. AND THAT'S A FACT.

Two words: Well said.

Besides, since when does a show not have some kind of major similarities to previous shows? And expecting some kind of unique, defining trait only in the first episode? Down boys, down! Sit!

And no, I'm not a fanboy either.
Old 2007-07-03, 04:58   Link #143
gnuffiehot

Quote:

I don't quite agree with you there.

Not knowing the plot in advance makes one have an open mind when watching an anime. If a first episode of a series isn't captivating enough to make one want to watch episode 2, then it doesn't really say much good.

Now that I think about it, I can't name a single series that I didn't like that started off good, and sadly, same can be said visa-versa. Most good series start out good. A first episode can say a lot about how the anime will be, which in this case looks like it'll have a slow storyline, no real action or anything, and it'll probably be relationship-guided throughout the anime.

So, for me, I did not play the eroge, and I did not know what it was about before I watched it. Because I saw what I did, an anime that seems to be what I described above (and I doubt I'll be that far off tbh), I can simply say that I don't like those kinds of anime all that much.

Not that I won't watch it, 'cause hey, I'm being forced to watch it ~_~. Otaku-ness does that sort of thing to you. But I can already tell that this will not end up as one of my favorites.
Old 2007-07-03, 05:07   Link #144
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuffiehot View Post

Not knowing the plot in advance makes one have an open mind when watching an anime. If a first episode of a series isn't captivating enough to make one want to watch episode 2, then it doesn't really say much good.
Bleach episode/chapter one was merely about slaying ghostly monsters and some random guy who somehow has powerful abilities. How many times had we seen that before?

Fate/Stay Night episode one was hardly anything captivating either.

The whole first 20 or so episodes of Gundam SEED was practicaly a reproduction of original Gundam, and look how that series turned out, even among other Gundam series-es.
Old 2007-07-03, 05:12   Link #145
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

well, dont judge the show too quick. I never bought the game but I did read up and see lots of screen shots and know most of the plot.

anyway, the show really isn't about magical girls. it's about dating magical girls! and snuggling! don't forget the snuggling! that's a first in the industry!

A very far stretched comparison would be like watching nurse witch komugi chan from the little mugi's point of view
Old 2007-07-03, 05:29   Link #146
gnuffiehot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Bleach episode/chapter one was merely about slaying ghostly monsters and some random guy who somehow has powerful abilities. How many times had we seen that before?

Fate/Stay Night episode one was hardly anything captivating either.

The whole first 20 or so episodes of Gundam SEED was practicaly a reproduction of original Gundam, and look how that series turned out, even among other Gundam series-es.
I'm not saying anything about its originality.

And you have to agree that, after watching the first episode of bleach, one wanted to see episode 2 badly. Same goes for Gundam Seed.

Even though Bleach started sucking lateron ~_~. And I haven't gotten past episode 8 of Gundam seed.
Old 2007-07-03, 05:31   Link #147
FireChick

I see no RAWs anywhere. Not even on Veoh or YouTube.
Old 2007-07-03, 05:32   Link #148
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
I'm not saying anything about its originality.
True, I was talking about originality, but I was mainly talking about how those series-es' non-originality made them not-so-captivating at their starts just as you were talking about how Nantsuiro started. The beginning of Bleach was nothing new nor deep (I got YuYu Hakusho vibes from the beginning arcs), and that especially goes for the beginning of GSEED.

Quote:
And you have to agree that, after watching the first episode of bleach, one wanted to see episode 2 badly. Same goes for Gundam Seed.
No and no. I thought they were both pretty generic and not-so-interesting starts.

Quote:
Even though Bleach started sucking lateron ~_~. And I haven't gotten past episode 8 of Gundam seed.
There you go, lol.
Old 2007-07-03, 05:49   Link #149
gnuffiehot

That still leaves the fact that anime that start out slow, often remain slow.

Anyways, let's just see where this goes I just hope I don't get sick of timing this series anytime soon ~_~. There isn't a whole lot of cool stuff coming out this season, so I'm hoping this'll be some fun
Old 2007-07-03, 05:53   Link #150
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
That still leaves the fact that anime that start out slow, often remain slow.
That's quite disputeable, but whatever.
Old 2007-07-03, 09:42   Link #151
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:

Now that I think about it, I can't name a single series that I didn't like that started off good, and sadly, same can be said visa-versa. Most good series start out good. A first episode can say a lot about how the anime will be, which in this case looks like it'll have a slow storyline, no real action or anything, and it'll probably be relationship-guided throughout the anime.

So, for me, I did not play the eroge, and I did not know what it was about before I watched it. Because I saw what I did, an anime that seems to be what I described above (and I doubt I'll be that far off tbh), I can simply say that I don't like those kinds of anime all that much.

Not that I won't watch it, 'cause hey, I'm being forced to watch it ~_~. Otaku-ness does that sort of thing to you. But I can already tell that this will not end up as one of my favorites.
I agree with you there, and I'm not even slightly offended or wronged if you feel like you won't like the show. Hey, you have your own tastes, I have mine, and we can both agree to disagree on those without being disagreeable.

The thing that irks me, though, is when people make judgments about the WHOLE series based on just one episode. I mean, come on. What are people on now, riding on the postmodern trend? I understand the need to save time because of the countless series available, but I'd understand it more if people went "oh, guess I won't like this show due to - and -, I guess I'll sit this one out" instead of saying "shit this series sucks, fucking hell". I'm not saying that you're guilty of this; only that this behaviour is prevalent, annoying, and frustrating.

I mean, come on. It took the game up to the end of Chapter 2, and Chapter 3 to set the whole romance into play (for those who don't know, Nanatsuiro Drops is actually about romance), and I myself kind of felt that it dragged on, but it was worth it. The build up was right there, in what I thought was the dragging content - with Sumomo's timid and shy disposition constrasting with her fiesty attitude with Yuki-chan being explained later on, and with TSuwabuki getting to know and understand why Sumomo was so. At least I wasn't the type to immediately presume that it wouldn't be about romance because it felt like a usual mahou shoujo up to that point. If people are psychics and can say that a show sucks just because of a first episode, then wow, you amaze me. But if you personally dislike it because of your own preferences, then I don't mind that.

As for series originality, I mean, COME ON PEOPLE. Almost everything in anime's ripped off, inspired, or parodied from something or somewhere. People whining because "it's another mahou shoujo, OH NOES" are most likely the ones who are frustrated by Nanoha StrikerS, or something. Code Geass started out too as "inspired" by various other animes, OH MY GOD IT IS UNORIGINAL THEREFORE IT IS THE SUCK.

I guess I'll end my ranting here.
Old 2007-07-03, 09:46   Link #152
cyth
Banned

I guess I'll be the first one to post something constructive from the original eroge fans' POV.

The episode skyrocketted us into the story, playing through various explainations of the situation at hand on fast forward (and quite literally fast-forwarding through Kisaragi-sensei's lesson). Various terms like Retroshera, hoshi no shizuku (star driplets), Reedol were explained in the ED at the bottom. They felt like footnotes, and I believe first-time watchers will not appreciate this approach. It felt rushed. Many anime productions rush the original story, but some of them execute this better than others. This one wasn't particularly well executed. Some of the stuff, like Sumomo summoning her Reedol and figuring out how to translate signs from the magic spells book seemed like pulling a rabbit out of an ass. Mentioning the two worlds, Figurare and Retroshera, was just that--making a note of the situation at hand. I believe they'll explain many of these terms as the anime progresses, but IMO it'll feel too spontaneous, leaving most watchers unsatisfied with what they've learnt. Then again, this approach was probably inevitable. They had to make a decent punch in the first episode for first-time watchers, something a 12 episode series definitely needs.

Other than that, Sumomo's portrayal of a crybaby seemed *right*, Nako's voice was a bit on the rough side (her game's voice was very subtle, which I definitely liked better) although I think I can stomach it. The only disappointment as far as characters are concerned is Tsuwabuki's situation with his classmates (him being all distant and quiet). This was side-noted using flashbacks (leaving out character introductions of his classmates), and this might cripple the story later on as it becomes important for his own development. In the first few minutes he truly felt like a protagonist out of some adult anime (those seriously gloomy types); he's actually too clumsy to be that.

What I liked about the first episode was the over-the-top use of high contrast colours, although I can't say the same for the soundtrack (I honestly liked the game's subtle tracks a lot better). Sumomo was darn cute, and hearing Matsuda's voice again (cosplay... wwww) felt like a nice treat. I hope he gets more screentime later on.

I believe the series will definitely gain a few new fans, and I'm afraid fan girls will be joining the crowd as well , however the initial winning series I was expecting is most likely not going to happen. It's going to be a nice treat for the fans of the original game, but I wouldn't expect too much hype from the first-time watchers. Then again, it's been only one episode.

@aroduc: Nice trolling from a guy who lost interest after 15 seconds into the anime. Constructive and well-played. o.ob
Old 2007-07-03, 10:36   Link #153
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
well apart for the fast paced start where hardly much made sense i pretty much fell in love with the characters straight away ( my eyes are set on the green haired "tsun" girl )...i guess it started off in a hurry to get the ball moving kinda like just getting a main character and throwing them into the deep end with no previous explination...most mahou shoujo series start off like that but this one at least the sumomo shows little concern about what she is doing (no whining about WTF is this gave it a great first impression) ~ and well having a sheep/goat/ram as the familiar type...thats a new one

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-07-03, 10:51   Link #154
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
I believe the series will definitely gain a few new fans, and I'm afraid fan girls will be joining the crowd as well [..]
What way should I take this comment?

My god, this is cute. Cute cute cute. ^^;
The moe still has to be built up a bit for me, but I like the characters introduced so far. They're not too over the top. Like Sumomo is genki, but not annoying.
I already look forward to the romance, which is a rare thing actually..

Last edited by niwasatou; 2007-07-03 at 11:25.
Old 2007-07-03, 10:52   Link #155
aquastar831
AQS-Anime

Send a message via AIM to aquastar831 Send a message via MSN to aquastar831
Watched through the first ep to make typesetting notes, and I think this does have potential. I do like the OP to the series and Sumomo is cute. I think that this first episode was a good start with introducing the characters and giving us the gist of the overall story. Looks like we'll see the transformation sequence and probably a little more about the rival character in the next ep.
Old 2007-07-03, 11:03   Link #156
tritoch

The shoujo-transformation-loli girls crown is already taken by Nanoha at the moment so this show will need to have something "extra" to beat that
Old 2007-07-03, 11:38   Link #157
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
[ ... bitter polemics ... ]

Then let's say you're emotionally much too deeply involved. Maybe you want to tone it down a bit for the sake of all? *I* am a bit amused by the fact that negative opinions always tend to trigger this kind of rants whereas hyping an anime into the stratosphere after only one episode normally doesn't. Or even before the first episode has aired, and be it solely based on the fact person X is the vice animation director or person Y is the voice actor for one of the girl roles.

From the synopsis and the fact that it's based on a hentai game I'm very doubtful that I will like this but I'm open minded enough to actually watch one episode. If I see some potential I'll watch another one. If not, then adieu.
Old 2007-07-03, 11:42   Link #158
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Then let's say you're emotionally much too deeply involved. Maybe you want to tone it down a bit for the sake of all? *I* am a bit amused by the fact that negative opinions always tend to trigger this kind of rants whereas hyping an anime into the stratosphere after only one episode normally doesn't. Or even before the first episode has aired, and be it solely based on the fact person X is the vice animation director or person Y is the voice actor for one of the girl roles.

From the synopsis and the fact that it's based on a hentai game I'm very doubtful that I will like this but I'm open minded enough to actually watch one episode. If I see some potential I'll watch another one. If not, then adieu.
well this sort of reaction is extreme but really true if you think about it...it may not be what people are saying but that is what they are thinking...

and why the heck are people condemning this because it was adapted from an eroge? a lot of series are the same and not all proved to be a pile of smoking crap in the end...people just need to give things a chance before going off into rants about how they do not like the idea of it being an adaption "bla bla" ~ or if they truly detest such things to just move to another part of the forum instead of trolling...(one post of total dislike is more than enough for me from each person)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-07-03, 11:57   Link #159
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Then let's say you're emotionally much too deeply involved. Maybe you want to tone it down a bit for the sake of all? *I* am a bit amused by the fact that negative opinions always tend to trigger this kind of rants whereas hyping an anime into the stratosphere after only one episode normally doesn't.
Personally, I find the whole situation very very predictable. Out of boredom (and because it's among the first to air in a season), people watch a show that's in a genre they know wouldn't normally appeal to them to begin with, and then proceed to rant that it's an example of all that's wrong with anime today (or the like...) As if, somehow, just because a show airs on TV, it's supposed to appeal to every single anime fan out there, and if one doesn't like it -- why it's the show's fault, of course! Naturally, this is mostly attention-seeking by those doing the ranting since they know it'll rile some people up (a certain blog post linked here is a perfect case-in-point), and attracts the usual share of bandwagon haters, who also don't like the genre to begin with and don't care at all to give the show a chance or learn what it's really about. And then, naturally, those who do know about the show and/or appreciate the genre, will feel compelled to defend against the ludicrous accusations. This is usually compounded by the fact that the original ranters tend to resort to petty generalizations and name-calling to attack not only the show, but those who might be fans of it. The net effect is drama, which is exactly what the trolls wanted to begin with.

It's like high school all over again, and it's just really tiresome.

As you said, if you think you might be interested in a show, give it a chance. If you find it's not your cup of tea, move on, and let those who do like it live on in peace. There's nothing wrong with them, they just have different tastes. There's plenty of anime out there, anyway. It's really not that complicated.
Old 2007-07-03, 12:10   Link #160
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
As you said, if you think you might be interested in a show, give it a chance. If you find it's not your cup of tea, move on, and let those who do like it live on in peace. There's nothing wrong with them, they just have different tastes. There's plenty of anime out there, anyway. It's really not that complicated.
Exactly what I was going to say.

If anyone doesn't like it, then just don't watch it, its as easy as that :P no one is forcing anyone to watch this anime, or is there someone pointing a gun at you and forcing you to watch it ? there's lots of ongoing anime right now, and lots of anime are starting this month too, so please if you do not like this one, go watch something else :P

Though I haven't completed the game (started playing then stopped, no spare time >.<), I liked the first episode, and I'm going to continue watching it.

Tags
barcelona, bishoujo, drama, fantasy, magical girl, romance, seinen, supernatural, unionshift