AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-04-29, 05:46   Link #81
ProxyAccount

It's really contrary to United States military philosophy to put someone in command that hasn't had leadership training + experience at the minimum. Even in Vietnam, the average age of someone in the enlisted ranks was still twenty. The youngest company CPT that I know of was 21 years old and he was a highly decorated, exceptional soldier.

Therefore, I would chalk it up to plot necessity and not look at the issue very deeply. Otherwise, Sirius would be a twenty-something year old butter-bar LT posing as an exchange high school student or, more likely, an English teacher.
ProxyAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-29, 07:20   Link #82
Jiminy

It's just like Proxy said. Plot-reasons. A common problem in Japanese novels, mangas and animes. In most cases things begin to make sense again when you add about 3 to 5+ years.
In Linas case there are some other parts of her back story that are questionable too. For example would you allow a middle schooler to pilot a fighting jet?
Jiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-29, 15:06   Link #83
aortax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy View Post
It's just like Proxy said. Plot-reasons. A common problem in Japanese novels, mangas and animes. In most cases things begin to make sense again when you add about 3 to 5+ years.
In Linas case there are some other parts of her back story that are questionable too. For example would you allow a middle schooler to pilot a fighting jet?
Yea that part really confused me , as she is described not be really "smart". If it was Tatsuya I might get it as he is a genius at everything but systematic magic , but lina?
aortax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-30, 01:09   Link #84
Armando99

She apparently is smart enough that she is one of the known strategic class magicians in the world. Even now, I don't think that there are that many people that knows she is just a teenager.

Maybe the USNA had a need to conscript her at a young age. It is entirely possible that if they let her alone until she is more mature, her relatives in Japan might have found out about her and try to bring her back.
Armando99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-30, 22:19   Link #85
aortax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando99 View Post
She apparently is smart enough that she is one of the known strategic class magicians in the world. Even now, I don't think that there are that many people that knows she is just a teenager.

Maybe the USNA had a need to conscript her at a young age. It is entirely possible that if they let her alone until she is more mature, her relatives in Japan might have found out about her and try to bring her back.

What does magic ability have to do with intelligence ? It has to do primarily with genes. Plus shes like 16 right now which isn't really that mature. In almost all history you see 20ish + people as soldiers. Having a child as a soldier sends out the message we are low on resources ( though this is a light novel so maybe we just add a couple of years
Old 2015-04-30, 22:29   Link #86
Armando99

Quote:
Originally Posted by aortax View Post
What does magic ability have to do with intelligence ? It has to do primarily with genes. Plus shes like 16 right now which isn't really that mature. In almost all history you see 20ish + people as soldiers. Having a child as a soldier sends out the message we are low on resources ( though this is a light novel so maybe we just add a couple of years
Have you ever heard of the Khmer Rouge or the African child soldiers?

How about Masaki, he already served as a combatant when the GAA invaded some time back. We don't know when that was but he was obviously younger then.
Old 2015-04-30, 23:06   Link #87
aortax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando99 View Post
Have you ever heard of the Khmer Rouge or the African child soldiers?

How about Masaki, he already served as a combatant when the GAA invaded some time back. We don't know when that was but he was obviously younger then.

How rare is that in the grand scheme of things? Maska wasn't really a soldier. He was part of a militia. A militia is a civilian army pretty much which Masaki fit. He did not permanently join the army or was he trained.
Old 2015-05-01, 00:06   Link #88
Blonddude42

I think part of the reason Lina seems to be considered "not smart" has more to do with her not being use to challenging opponents.

As to child soldiers, we haven't seen much of other countries so it may be rather common for children, especially those with a talent for magic, to be raised to be soldiers or recruited early in life.
Blonddude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-01, 00:42   Link #89
faiz blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
^ yeah, we kinda knew that, but why on earth does the USNA put her in one of the most crucial leading role within their army? They could have done what Japan did with Tatsuya, incorporate Lina into one of special ops, gave a "special" title with "special" misson, just don't let her bear the burden of being a highly ranked military officer (yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProxyAccount View Post
It's really contrary to United States military philosophy to put someone in command that hasn't had leadership training + experience at the minimum. Even in Vietnam, the average age of someone in the enlisted ranks was still twenty. The youngest company CPT that I know of was 21 years old and he was a highly decorated, exceptional soldier.

Therefore, I would chalk it up to plot necessity and not look at the issue very deeply. Otherwise, Sirius would be a twenty-something year old butter-bar LT posing as an exchange high school student or, more likely, an English teacher.
I think there might be a misunderstanding about what exactly the Sirius position entitles. The most important duty of the supreme commander of the STARS is to keep the men in line and punish transgressors. As shown in the novel, he is the one put in charge of dealing with any eventual deserter. More than a leader, he is a supervisor.

That's why the Sirius is always the strongest magician, regardless of his qualifications as a commanding officer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonddude42 View Post
I think part of the reason Lina seems to be considered "not smart" has more to do with her not being use to challenging opponents.
Actually, the author himself admitted that he built Lina's character on top of the concept of "someone really strong in a fight, but quite hopeless at everything else", so...
Old 2015-05-01, 01:34   Link #90
ProxyAccount

In the U.S. military, leadership and supervisory responsibilities are expected out of the same individual, whether commission or non-commissioned officer. If you wear the rank, you undergo the training. Of course, a Doctor wearing the rank of LTC isn't given the same training as a LTC that is an infantry officer, but if he couldn't make it through OCS, ROTC, or the Academy, he wouldn't be an officer. Period.

As I said, chalk up to necessities of plot and the ignorance of the writer. As he admitted, he is not familiar with military operations, which is why the maps didn't look like anything you would have actually seen in any SITREP.
Old 2015-05-01, 01:40   Link #91
Armando99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProxyAccount View Post
In the U.S. military, leadership and supervisory responsibilities are expected out of the same individual, whether commission or non-commissioned officer. If you wear the rank, you undergo the training. Of course, a Doctor wearing the rank of LTC isn't given the same training as a LTC that is an infantry officer, but if he couldn't make it through OCS, ROTC, or the Academy, he wouldn't be an officer. Period.

As I said, chalk up to necessities of plot and the ignorance of the writer. As he admitted, he is not familiar with military operations, which is why the maps didn't look like anything you would have actually seen in any SITREP.
And we can forgive him for that. Considering the military situation in Japan where they can only have a defense force, it is understandable. At least for me.
Old 2015-05-01, 02:08   Link #92
ProxyAccount

Yup. Which is why they tend to portray the military in the weird way that they do. They have a better sense of it near bases, particularly the mama-sans that interact with military personnel on a more regular basis, and not just work and leave. Otherwise, most Japanese don't have a clue. JSDF personnel are generally sharp, but extremely few people come from a military family. Like many modern Asian societies, they see the military as an abstract thing that is supposed to come save the day (or cause terror), with no real idea of how they work.

For example, I saw episode 24 and was wondering why Tatsuya kept holding his salute after it was returned by MAJ Kazama (assuming that the high school uniform counts as being in uniform). Of course, somebody should have told the director that there was an issue. The writer isn't necessarily to blame for it as the novel states that Kazama returned the salute, but he doesn't state that Tatsuya returned to the position of attention.
Old 2015-05-01, 02:14   Link #93
Armando99

Most people, even in countries where they have a strong one, have only a rudiment knowledge of the military. That is, until they are in some sort of conflict or even a war.

The military becomes important to them then. Go figure!
Old 2015-05-02, 07:29   Link #94
cynnmy

I just wish she would appear again in the story soon...
cynnmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-02, 17:19   Link #95
Armando99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynnmy View Post
I just wish she would appear again in the story soon...

I hope so too!

The author kind of left it open with the conversation she had with Miyuki just before she left.
Old 2015-05-02, 18:16   Link #96
Jiminy

Same here.
The only time I really liked Miyuki was when she either snapped or interacted with Lina. She really needs this rival or the story might become a little bit too one dimensional (Oniisama!! ).
Jiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-02, 18:56   Link #97
Armando99

Well, throughout the story, Lina was the only girl Miyuki considered and/or acknowledged as her "rival".
Old 2015-05-06, 04:27   Link #98
tuckersister

Lina will appear in Volume 17. I wonder how she will take the news about Tatsuya and Miyuki.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-07, 02:59   Link #99
TheLaG

Should we start discussion about Linas magic?
TheLaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-07, 04:12   Link #100
Armando99

We already know her magic.

It was all over in the Visitor's arc. She lost to Tatsuya who only had part of his power available to him due to Miyuki's shield.