wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-24, 22:24   Link #502
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
Anti-climatic ending

Great show overall

I usually never finished all-girls anime
I'm kind of opposite here. Mostly average if not forgettable show, but the ending was nice and was good callback to the start of series. It ended the best way it could that was true itself thematically.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-24, 22:45   Link #503
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Toji no Miko's first cour was excellent, imo. Very smooth and steady narrative buildup, focused on Kanami and Hiyori as good personality foils to each other and as they were essentially rebel fighters against a corrupt order that had to be brought down (this sort of thing is classic goodness, reminiscent of the likes of Star Wars). The first cour was very tight, with good suspense, and a very solid gripping climax.

Second cour was more of a mess, lacking that smooth consistent "odd couple/plucky rebels" factor. Still, the secound cour had some very nice moments, some interesting plot twists, and some good action scenes. And I think this final episode was very good, probably one of the better anime endings I've seen.

On the whole, a B+ or A- anime. Yeah, I liked that first cour a lot. And even though the second cour wasn't quite as good, I still think it was a very good anime overall.
Old 2018-07-02, 06:03   Link #504
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 24:

Good enough ending. Kanami and Hiyori meet their moms and have family time together. Also Tagitsu does not seem evil anymore.

Nice new elite guard uniforms. And Yukina is no longer crazy.

As long as I forget about episodes 13- 20 ... giving this a final score of 8/10
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-05, 13:38   Link #505
4th Dimension

I didn't watch this show as it was airing, which is probably a shame since I just bingewatched it in couple sittings.

While I wouldn't call it a deep show, I quite liked and enjoyed it.

The biggest problem to me are the characters in supposed command which weren't exactly brilliant in the first arc (WHO COULD HAVE GUESSED THAT THE ENEMY WILL FIND US AND DIGG US OUT!) they REALLY take and thoroughly embrace the fucking IDIOT BALL and are pretty much to blame that they had to fight the same opponent AGAIN.
Also I did not like how it tried to exonerate EVERYONE no matter what they did, even the bloody evil supreme demon lady. As far as I'm concerned the crazy older Renpu president and her emotionless underling can get f-ed considering how much death and destruction they have caused. The psycho loli is a saint compared to them, because at least her had SOME principles and wasn't all about injecting herself and anyone else with as much demon juice as possible. The way she died is pretty much the way she should have died, doing what she liked, FIGHTING.

Apart from that, there isn't much that I didn't like about this.

1st cour was REALLY well paced, so much so that even in cases where episode might be a breather it still moved the plot forward, so there were really no filler episodes.

I really like the characters and given the number of them, they pretty much all got their moment to shine despite there clearly being two main protagonists. And I much prefer the at times OP competent protagonist Kanami unlike the annoyingly incompetent protagonist that only do well in finales. She kinda reminds me of Nanoha, which is a bonus in my book. Hiyori kinda suffers in when compared with Kanami, but especially in first arc served a nice foil to seemingly happy go lucky and trusting Kanami. The rest also had pretty developed personalities or character ticks and chemistry between them all. Hell even the bloody mascot was not annoying but endearing and useful.
Unfortunately as I have said, none of them are exactly the sharpest tools in the shed when it comes to thinking farther than their swords.

Additional the show even tries to portray how even the "monsters" fell about all this and ethics of their suppression.

All in all competently done story (minus the idiot ball bits).

Despite a lot of CG usage, even fight scene choreography was pretty damn well. I'm not sure, but I think pretty much every girl has her own animations based on her style. Sure, traditional animation might have done this better, but if this allowed them to save a lot of cash by doing this level of quality of CG, I'm all for for more of it, rather than using cheap ass animation.

Oh yeah, also designs are all quite visually distinctive and quite vibrant which is always a plus.

Even the music was quite catching. Even the jazzy battle theme that one might not think would work, worked.

So yeah. While I can't say it's a masterpiece, it did a SURPRISING amount of things right given what was the premise. Especially given that it's based on a mobbage?
I'd like to get more of this, except this story looks pretty much closed. Oh sure they will fight more of the monsters, but they shouldn't in their lifetime (as Tojis) to face these stakes.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-05, 16:12   Link #506
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Especially given that it's based on a mobbage?
I'd like to get more of this, except this story looks pretty much closed.
Yup, the anime was promotion for the mobbage, even if the anime released first and the game follows another group of Tojis investigating something (while being affected by teh anime events). The game haven't made it to the first season final yet, but the "plan" is to continue the story there.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-05, 19:07   Link #507
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Actually no. The mobage, like the anime, was part of a mediamix project. In fact, the anime had been airing for two months during the release of the mobage.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-06, 15:06   Link #508
4th Dimension

Still a minor miracle that something promo related is this good.

BTW, one of my favorite moments. When Kanami faces off against Hiyori multiplied by the full power of the evil deity with future sight. And despite all the advantages she has... all she sees is Kanami cutting her down NO MATTER what she does. Awesome.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-25, 04:24   Link #509
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The mediamix is not yet over! It is confirmed that Toji no Miko will have a collaboration with SKE48 to bring the series to the theater.
That's right, Toji no Miko will receive a stage play adaptation!
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-14, 08:10   Link #510
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Beautiful song...

Old 2019-01-30, 01:35   Link #511
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Wait, what

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-30, 06:01   Link #512
Liddo-kun
is this so?

The Mini Toji series has been enjoyable so far. It's on episode 3 now.