AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-06-07, 22:12   Link #1121
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The Xbone may well go down to being one of the most poorly designed major console ever.
Only thing that can compete at this point I think is the Virtual Boy, but at least that was trying to be truly innovative.

Quote:
Microsoft is reeling right now. All of their business partners except for Gamestop have abandoned them, they've lost all of the news outlets, and every message they've relayed has made things worse.
Ironic that the business they were trying to kill the most is the one that hasn't abandoned them (yet).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 22:22   Link #1122
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Only thing that can compete at this point I think is the Virtual Boy, but at least that was trying to be truly innovative.

Ironic that the business they were trying to kill the most is the one that hasn't abandoned them (yet).
Yeah, still amazed me when I made a rare visit into Gamestop (well EB Games still in Canada) that all the people were doing was kissing up to Microsoft. I was pretty sure they were insane, but didn't want to outright state that to them . Is pretty amazing that the only positive response I've seen in person to this disaster was there.
Old 2013-06-07, 22:25   Link #1123
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What is this about business partners abandoning them? Have places like Best Buy and Target said they aren't so sure about XBO? What about Amazon.com?
Old 2013-06-07, 22:33   Link #1124
4Tran

Quote:
I don't think that anyone would count the Virtual Boy as a major console!

Quote:
It's obvious that Gamestop cut a deal with Microsoft. Moreover, any publisher speaking in favor of DRM will put themselves in the line of fire, while any publisher speaking against DRM is feeding Microsoft to the dogs. Gamestop is free from attack, and all they're saying is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamestop
We will continue to work with Microsoft and publishers to maintain a seamless transfer of pre-owned games, and enable a smooth transition to this exciting new generation of consoles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah, still amazed me when I made a rare visit into Gamestop (well EB Games still in Canada) that all the people were doing was kissing up to Microsoft. I was pretty sure they were insane, but didn't want to outright state that to them . Is pretty amazing that the only positive response I've seen in person to this disaster was there.
The people working at Gamestop and EB Games have probably been instructed to not say anything negative about either the Xbone or the PS4. Canada is also pretty committed Xbox territory, so the negativity may take a while to spread from the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What is this about business partners abandoning them? Have places like Best Buy and Target said they aren't so sure about XBO? What about Amazon.com?
EA, Activision, Ubisoft et al. They're largely committing themselves to all of "no comment".
Old 2013-06-07, 23:19   Link #1125
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

MS lately is not just proving that they are a dick company, they are showing us how incompetent they are.
Old 2013-06-07, 23:57   Link #1126
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
- Season Passes
I think you mean Online Passes, which is where you have to pay a fee to play online on a used copy. Season Passes are where you pre-purchase all the DLC for 25% less of the price you would have paid for them if you bought them individually as they come out. They're entirely different things.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 00:00   Link #1127
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Another good video from Halloween

Old 2013-06-08, 00:03   Link #1128
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

From AngryJoe's tweet

Xbox One: It's For Publishers, Not For You

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/195...t_for_you.html
Old 2013-06-08, 00:16   Link #1129
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
MS lately is not just proving that they are a dick company, they are showing us how incompetent they are.
They did get a wake up call over the whole Adam Orth debacle, but it looks like they didn't get the proper message. Microsoft was also completely stunned at how poorly their May reveal went over with the gamers - a market they thought was already locked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
I think you mean Online Passes, which is where you have to pay a fee to play online on a used copy. Season Passes are where you pre-purchase all the DLC for 25% less of the price you would have paid for them if you bought them individually as they come out. They're entirely different things.
Nope, I'm talking about the DLC Season Passes. You pay $20 for the promise of all future DLC for the game* with no promises that the DLC is going to be any good at all (or often what it is at all).

* minus any DLC that is packaged separately.

It's deceptive, anti-consumer, and rarely worth the money. Look at CD Projekt Red to see how a developer/publisher should be handling such content. At least with the Online Pass, the consumer knows what he's getting ahead of time.
Old 2013-06-08, 00:34   Link #1130
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Man, every time I see your user name, I think it is referencing 4chan.
Old 2013-06-08, 03:56   Link #1131
saravis

I'm wondering if hackers will be able to crack these limitations; install limit and 24hr limit. Perhaps create a modified OS that connects to a loopback and reads data directly stored on the HDD. Purely speculation, I have no idea if its possible and even if it is, I wouldn't buy the XBO anyway. I wouldn't want to encourage Microsoft.
Nonetheless, I'm curious to see what hackers would do with the system.
Old 2013-06-08, 04:23   Link #1132
Destined_Fate

Well they're giving those in the military a code to go offline as long as needed so hackers should be able to figure out the system used for that and than tear through its secrets and make it their own.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 04:56   Link #1133
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
I'm wondering if hackers will be able to crack these limitations; install limit and 24hr limit. Perhaps create a modified OS that connects to a loopback and reads data directly stored on the HDD. Purely speculation, I have no idea if its possible and even if it is, I wouldn't buy the XBO anyway. I wouldn't want to encourage Microsoft.
Nonetheless, I'm curious to see what hackers would do with the system.
You probably could reroute the request to an emulated server to verify them, but won't solve the problem for most people, because you will lose of on multiplayer and other services, besides this means you have to have your pc or a server running just to play xbone games. Either way, it is probably not worth the hassle creating a xlive emulator, unless people are interested in exclusive xbone single player games, which probably won't exist anyway.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 10:57   Link #1134
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Sony should have a pretty clear road to a less restrictive PS4.
This is their chance to grab a HUGE chunk of market share. If PS4 games can be shared and don't require an internet connection to play, gamers are going to flock to Sony in droves.
Old 2013-06-08, 12:26   Link #1135
defki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
This is their chance to grab a HUGE chunk of market share. If PS4 games can be shared and don't require an internet connection to play, gamers are going to flock to Sony in droves.
Unless Yoshida and Denny are liars and full of shit Sony already said that there is no always online on PS4. If a publisher wants that they have to do it on their own.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 13:24   Link #1136
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Just dropping this here...

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/eight-four-play/

@ 1h 27min 30s

The guys at 8-4 raise the question of if in the current world the Tv functionality the Xbox One offers is even a thing anymore.

I don't watch Tv these days, so have no opinion, but it was an interesting point/discussion that the people that would use it don't even exist anymore.

/leaves-thread
Old 2013-06-08, 13:55   Link #1137
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
You probably could reroute the request to an emulated server to verify them, but won't solve the problem for most people, because you will lose of on multiplayer and other services, besides this means you have to have your pc or a server running just to play xbone games. Either way, it is probably not worth the hassle creating a xlive emulator, unless people are interested in exclusive xbone single player games, which probably won't exist anyway.
I'd figure that hackers would attempt it, not for any worth, but just to give Microsoft the "bird". Perhaps, though, if the desire is there, private servers could be created for multiplayer for specific games, you see this with MMOs on the PC. If this is possible, at the worst, you might have to swap to the emulated server every 24 hrs and then swap to the private server of the game of your choice.
Old 2013-06-10, 00:31   Link #1138
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this console turns out to be this generation's sega saturn.

"Nothing is true, Everything is Permitted" - Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 03:21   Link #1139
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge Meltdown View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this console turns out to be this generation's sega saturn.
More fitting than first appeared. Saturn survived in its home market but failed everywhere else. Xbox1 might be in the same position.
Old 2013-06-10, 04:48   Link #1140
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan