AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-15, 06:28   Link #121
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
If by "better" you mean giving into fan complaints about it not being "dark enough" rather than being a breath of fresh air after endless darkness already (Shadow Games and then Duel Monsters), then yeah, it did.

I LIKED how GX started out BECAUSE it was a new change of pace more focused on casual fun rather than constant gloom and doom, death/soul-stealing, end of the world stuff going on, but still having good Duels with cool monsters, decent effects, and so on (after all, a number of huge cards came out in the GX-era and not just 5D's). But after Season 3 started and they started shifting Judai around the way they did, hardly anything made sense anymore, tons of things were left unanswered, and tons of new questions get thrown out there that also mostly went unanswered.

Not to mention characters that actually had played roles before were all just shoved to the background and getting nothing more than half-cropped Duels most of the time while they bring back Rei who somehow magically went from looking like an 8 year old to a 16 year old in 1 year, and playing NO real role whatsoever. Even the whole perceived relationship between Judai and Asuka never went anywhere, despite Rei obviously making her jealous at her reappearance with flirting with Judai.

I'd much rather they have kept the manga going (instead of rushing to its end for ZeXal's release) and have it as an anime since at least that balances out the 2 A LOT better than the anime tried to; between seriousness and fun.

People were just so used to Shadow Games and/or Duel Monsters, that they forget that "Yu-Gi-Oh!" is "King of Games", not "Yugi is the main character and all subsequent series should be like the first 2".

Yusei's Deck was only balanced early on and only really due to how they can transition to real life play (and only for Starters really, but as always, it boils down to a few select, more general-purpose cards), but as it goes on, he starts yanking out all this situational stuff that would otherwise have no real use for him outside of that 1 time and/or in real life.

Like Stay Force. Continuous Trap that let's you pay 1000 LP during each of your End Phases to keep a monster from removing itself from the field by its own effect. How much could Yusei actually use that outside of his use with Savior Star Dragon against Team Ragnarok? Really nothing at all.

Or Salvagent. The effect in general is good and all (Tribute it to Special Summon a Synchro Monster from your Graveyard, but it's no longer treated as a Synchro Monster), but the 2nd half of the effect is pretty much pointless outside of the whole anti-Synchro strategies of Team New World/Aporia and hardly any of the actual anti-Synchro cards in real life are used either.

I could go on and on and list similar things, but that's pretty much what I mean in terms of Yusei's Deck being so situational pretty often.

And, as said, Yusei holding a "perfect record" and never experiencing any "true" loss throughout the whole series, unlike Yugi/Atem, Judai, and Yuma, thus he never really learns anything and grows/changes/improves from it, making him quite a boring character overall.

Even with the whole situation with Z-ONE at the very end, Yusei just absolutely refuses to believe in any other possibilities of the future than his own, despite Z-ONE clearly showing him how the world ends up destroyed in the future because of people overusing the Synchro Summon, which causes the Mechanized Emperors/"Meklords" to emerge and start destroying everything, and Accel Synchro Summoning NOT helping, but actually making things WORSE (from knowing first hand when he tries to stand in Yusei's place to bring hope to the people by taking on his face and memories and such, and using Shooting Star Dragon).

And what does Yusei do? He doesn't believe it, says Z-ONE is wrong, and pulls out a stronger Accel Synchro Summon in response. Like there's absolutely no room for alternatives or even the possibility of alternatives.

Sure, one can compare that to when Atem was all about not having darkness while perceiving the ones under the Oreichalcos to be evil and dark, but soon learns that that's not the case, that everyone has light and darkness in them, and as a result, he learns from his mistakes and grows to be a better person and Duelist as a result, allowing him to not be mind-screwed by Raphael in their rematch.
I like how you mention all of two cards for Yusei when Jaden had and Yugi had a laundry list of highly circumstancial. Your talking about a card game where MC pull out the cards they need at the right time on a duel by duel basis, and even then Yusei's wasn't as bad with his circumstancial cards as the other two and he actually had a good deck, Jadens was really quite crappy aside from a few cards, and Yugi's deck was the definition of bad if you remove all the banned cards and even with them it was random as fuck. Anyway you rant on for far too long... Geez man...
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-15, 12:38   Link #122
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
I like how you mention all of two cards for Yusei when Jaden had and Yugi had a laundry list of highly circumstancial. Your talking about a card game where MC pull out the cards they need at the right time on a duel by duel basis, and even then Yusei's wasn't as bad with his circumstancial cards as the other two and he actually had a good deck, Jadens was really quite crappy aside from a few cards, and Yugi's deck was the definition of bad if you remove all the banned cards and even with them it was random as fuck. Anyway you rant on for far too long... Geez man...
At least Judai's had a total common theme in mind along with Fusion as an overall arc. Yusei's was all about spamming lower Level monsters and Synchro Summon with no real common ground besides that, but I (and many others) already agree on Yugi/Atem's Decks. Even Yuma at least has Gagaga, Gogogo, Zubaba, and other things going on (all Japanese sound effects and such).

If you read after that, you'd see that I said I could keep listing more, but simply gave those 2 as examples. As a result also, many of those cards are only used 1-2 times for the sheer fact that they couldn't really be used effectively, if at all, outside of that 1 Duel/situation whereas a bunch of Yugi/Atem, Judai, and Yuma's stuff can be used at various other times before and after by not being SO restrictive in their use.

And I ranted longer because I constantly see people saying how (superficially) great latter GX or 5D's is when, frankly, they really weren't (and a lot of them watched the dubs on top of that). It seems the common theme between them is simply being "darker" or whatever decent cards are released from them. Not for story, not for character development, none of the other important qualities a story should have that were more or less thrown out the window.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 01:08   Link #123
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Spoiler for episode 47:

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 07:23   Link #124
ShiroiRyu

Oh man ...
The 54 was so good ... and so sad in same time. O_o
Tron is a real bastard ...
Old 2012-05-11, 08:14   Link #125
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
Oh man ...
The 54 was so good ... and so sad in same time. O_o
Tron is a real bastard ...
Every vilian is. But I have to agree with you. Tron is a big big bastard.
And what the hell is Yuma doing there? What didn't he go to his field already. Looks like he's going to "watch" the next fight between Kaito and V too.
Old 2012-05-11, 12:38   Link #126
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

I have a question, will there be a separate thread for the 4Kids English Dub?

Episode 22 aired dubbed last weekend, and Episode 23 should be airing dubbed this weekend.
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 20:26   Link #127
Kitsu Breaker

Lol, just 7 pages of discution of anime with more than 50 epis?
What a shame!

This two girls have the best sax life
FIGHT FOR THE YURI
Kitsu Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 09:34   Link #128
ShiroiRyu

Tron ...
is Bryon ...
Their father ... O_o
Old 2012-08-23, 21:06   Link #129
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I'm on episode 22 and I love Exceed monster and I find simpa issues at each end of episodes

and I especially loved the nod to the old monsters GX and Yu gi ho first series was in status in the temple
Old 2012-09-10, 10:35   Link #130
ShiroiRyu

Zexal II trailer : http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/mv/yugioh-...rs/post_26737/

I already like the new OP.
Old 2012-09-20, 01:04   Link #131
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I'm on episode 61 I really love this anime and this "season 2" episode that it will start?
Old 2012-11-24, 13:46   Link #132
ShiroiRyu

77 : Oh man ...
Gagaga Girl was so fun.
"SENPAIIIIIII !" and running to Gagaga Magician. XD
Old 2012-11-24, 18:22   Link #133
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Maybe it's just me but, doesn't Gagaga Magician and Gagaga Girl's relationship remind you of Yu Narukami and Rise Kujikawa from Persona 4?
Old 2012-12-23, 01:42   Link #134
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I am now in this season 2 episode 81 and I love the sister of Shark!

and I hope that Kotori will in the future a "real" duel will really have more of these cards
Old 2013-01-20, 13:58   Link #135
anime fan99

When this series ends and they do the next series I hope they stop jumping into the future and back to a time period close to the original series like GX so we can hear about the characters between time and time
anime fan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 19:25   Link #136
Kurohane

Spoiler for 96:
Old 2013-04-05, 19:34   Link #137
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

It was pretty obvious for a while. The convenience of things is pretty much right in your face.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 14:50   Link #138
stardrago

Ok, can someone tell me why this thread is in older series, it is still airing so shouldn't it be in the current series section?
Also on Sunday over Japan from the title for episode 98 we will get to see N39 King of Wishes Hope/Utopia's third Chaos Number form, Hope Ray Victory/Utopia Ray Victory. Could someone post a link after it airs, a clip of when it is summoned and attacks?
stardrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 10:17   Link #139
Kurohane

Spoiler for shark:
Old 2013-10-16, 19:58   Link #140
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I just see episode 121............ and my god Roots's attaque .........

Spoiler for roots:

and this monster............ "Amen" so strong is a god o_O

and in a end to episode 122 "duel hour" is what??? O_O

Last edited by Chiaki_chan; 2013-10-16 at 21:09.
Chiaki_chan is offline   Reply With Quote