AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-31, 21:43   Link #13801
Miraluka
Banned

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...hapter1#Part_3

Pfft, more updates for Stiyl SS, seriously, Theodosia must be M.
Old 2011-09-01, 18:37   Link #13802
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiyl Magnus
“…I have yet to meet someone who constantly goes on about how much misfortune they have that was also a decent person.”
So it's clear that he does not think Touma as a decent guy... At all

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2011-09-01, 18:52   Link #13803
ellifeedn
Thinker

Since it's from a spin-off, does it count as canon?
Old 2011-09-01, 19:02   Link #13804
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Since it's from a spin-off, does it count as canon?
It isn't a spin-off, its from a side story. Side story != Spin-off.

That said, it also means I never acknowledged Railgun as a spin-off either, so figures that this series never had a spin-off, at least officially, yet.

It also explains how Bardway gets involved into the main novels' storyline. We got quite a fair bit of (not so, perhaps) obvious foreshadowing in Volume 18 I think.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2011-09-01, 19:09   Link #13805
ellifeedn
Thinker

What're your definitions of "spin-off" and "side story" then?
Old 2011-09-01, 19:54   Link #13806
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
What're your definitions of "spin-off" and "side story" then?
Side Story is a story that runs parallel to the Main Story.

Spin-Off is a story that goes completely unrelated to the Main Story aside from small elements and can stand on it's own.
Old 2011-09-01, 20:02   Link #13807
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post

Right.

Anyway, on the subject of Dark Matter: What exactly are those masks supposed to do? I haven't seen anything notable about them other than being made of Dark Matter.
Honestly nothing much besides generating pseudo Dark Matter wings.....a guy with an AK-47 could take them down so they are pretty crappy for Academy's top special forces.
Old 2011-09-01, 20:07   Link #13808
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Honestly nothing much besides generating pseudo Dark Matter wings.....a guy with an AK-47 could take them down so they are pretty crappy for Academy's top special forces.
Getting the fanciest toys does not a top special force makes.
Old 2011-09-01, 20:17   Link #13809
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I think that it was the Accelerator the one that pointed out that Academy City had "a powersuit for an occasion" (if I am true, it was when he was in a train with Last Order). Dark Matter suits are meant to chase the target, dash in with a team formation attack and then leave, for that purpose they are pretty good, Dark Matter in itself can easily repel heavy attacks with the wings used as shield, can get rid of obstacles and can pretty much slice through any type of "regular" defense; the suits themselves are only meant to enhance the mobility of the user to the limits and nothing more.

The reason of why they where easily taken out it was because Hamazura tempted them into playing the bully, and they dropped their team formations and tactics in order to get into that role, it's the obvious case of "main character plot device induced luck".

I have to admit that personally, I would like to see more models of these suits (for example, an upgrade equipped with more parts capable of creating dark matter, instead of just having invincible mustaches).
Old 2011-09-01, 20:21   Link #13810
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

So those Equ.Dark Matter suits are just like Hard Taping? It's designed for mobility and should only augment a person's innate attack strength.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-09-01, 20:22   Link #13811
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
I think that it was the Accelerator the one that pointed out that Academy City had "a powersuit for an occasion" (if I am true, it was when he was in a train with Last Order). Dark Matter suits are meant to chase the target, dash in with a team formation attack and then leave, for that purpose they are pretty good, Dark Matter in itself can easily repel heavy attacks with the wings used as shield, can get rid of obstacles and can pretty much slice through any type of "regular" defense; the suits themselves are only meant to enhance the mobility of the user to the limits and nothing more.

The reason of why they where easily taken out it was because Hamazura tempted them into playing the bully, and they dropped their team formations and tactics in order to get into that role, it's the obvious case of "main character plot device induced luck".

I have to admit that personally, I would like to see more models of these suits (for example, an upgrade equipped with more parts capable of creating dark matter, instead of just having invincible mustaches).

Well there's that, and lets face it- Academy City's forces substitution skill, experience and manpower with overwhelming technology superiority.

And they have to, given their small population, otherwise Russia would have crush them and the rest of Japan in a matter of days.
Old 2011-09-01, 21:55   Link #13812
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Well there's that, and lets face it- Academy City's forces substitution skill, experience and manpower with overwhelming technology superiority.

And they have to, given their small population, otherwise Russia would have crush them and the rest of Japan in a matter of days.
That's not quite true, Anti Skill are former mercenaries and soldiers, and they seem skilled enough.

Anyway, I do look forward to seeing what else can be done with Dark Matter type equipment. I always thought Dark Matter was a cool power, too bad the user was an asshole.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2011-09-01, 22:35   Link #13813
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
I always thought Dark Matter was a cool power, too bad the user was an asshole.
The same could be said for Accelerator and Mugino.
Old 2011-09-01, 22:40   Link #13814
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
It isn't a spin-off, its from a side story. Side story != Spin-off.

That said, it also means I never acknowledged Railgun as a spin-off either, so figures that this series never had a spin-off, at least officially, yet.

It also explains how Bardway gets involved into the main novels' storyline. We got quite a fair bit of (not so, perhaps) obvious foreshadowing in Volume 18 I think.
Then why is baka tsuki listing them as spin-offs?
Old 2011-09-01, 22:46   Link #13815
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Then why is baka tsuki listing them as spin-offs?
Because they're only human?

A spin off is like Xenoglossia to Idolmaster, Nanoha to Triangle Hearts, Angel to Buffy, Joey to Friends, and every other CSI.
Old 2011-09-02, 00:21   Link #13816
larethian

I've not read railgun and the other side/short stories, so I don't know how I would classify them.

The main distinction to me is that spinoff has a main character promoted from a supporting character and can become a full series by itself without switching of main characters, and the entire story can be totally standalone or promoted from a side plot from the main series, and it usually spans at least 1 volume or even across multiple volumes, while a SS volume consists of multiple stories, and can have each story focusing on different characters.

Based on what I've seen of the Railgun anime, I'd classify Railgun as a spinoff with Misaka Mikoto promoted to the main character. Railgun SS will be SS for the Railgun spinoff.

Last edited by larethian; 2011-09-02 at 00:38.
Old 2011-09-02, 00:29   Link #13817
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I can see why people might consider Railgun a spinoff, but to me it's still a side-story because it runs parallel with the main story of Index. It doesn't really go off on the beaten path as every other incident and plotline and character has some connection to the main story one way or the other.
Old 2011-09-02, 00:35   Link #13818
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
I can see why people might consider Railgun a spinoff, but to me it's still a side-story because it runs parallel with the main story of Index. It doesn't really go off on the beaten path as every other incident and plotline and character has some connection to the main story one way or the other.
As much as some people consider Index as the spin-off! Oh. My. God.
Old 2011-09-02, 01:19   Link #13819
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
As much as some people consider Index as the spin-off! Oh. My. God.
I can't remove the cause, but here's the medication. Put your hand on your hand, close your eyes, and sigh. It will help somewhat.

Do I have to edit everything again? Spin-off, side stories, secondary stories, blah blah blah...
Old 2011-09-02, 01:57   Link #13820
Sandinwater

Quote:
Side Story is a story that runs parallel to the Main Story.

Spin-Off is a story that goes completely unrelated to the Main Story aside from small elements and can stand on it's own.
Couldn't have said it better myself my friend.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen