AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-12-18, 04:04   Link #241
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Ok, just came back from the midnight showing.

I'm very conflicted.
Overall, yes, I do feel as it was an entertaining film, and most definitely more enjoyable than Episode 1.

HOWEVER, its reliance to homages left it with almost no identity of its own, and I find that a problem.

Spoiler:

Ultimately it may be a non-issue if they build up the next two movies to have their own sense of identity, but first movie impression is VERY important.
Old 2015-12-18, 17:54   Link #242
Galaxian

Funny thing about Kylo Ren...

Spoiler for Spoilers:
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-18, 18:05   Link #243
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Funny thing about Kylo Ren...

Spoiler for Spoilers:
"Prisoner has escaped! Guards! GUARDS! GUARDS!!! Come here, or I'll cry and call mama!"
"MUST! CRUSH! ALL THE FURNITURE! That's what lightsabers for, after all!"
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-18, 19:08   Link #244
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
"Prisoner has escaped! Guards! GUARDS! GUARDS!!! Come here, or I'll cry and call mama!"
"MUST! CRUSH! ALL THE FURNITURE! That's what lightsabers for, after all!"
One of the funniest scene is the movie is when...

Spoiler for Spoilers:
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-18, 21:08   Link #245
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Best not to be collatoral damage.
Old 2015-12-19, 02:04   Link #246
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

This movie was... okay. It's pretty much 3 hours of my life I'll never get back. I might as well have watched A New Hope and gotten the same experience, except better because that movie was shorter. Frankly, I had more nitpicks and unanswered questions than I did actual enjoyment of the film for what it was... or was supposed to be.

Spoiler for possible spoilers:

There's so many unanswered questions with no answers. I don't know if they're going to be in the sequel, but I refuse to count on it. I'm judging the movie as presented and I wasn't satisfied by the movie because I was never able to suspend my disbelief.

It's seriously like the writers said, "Hey, those guys didn't like the prequels but they liked the originals, right? Well let's do that, that, and that from A New Hope, and this and that from The Empire Strikes Back," and then proceeded to go to TVTropes.org and go down the Star Wars page and check each one off of the list.

The movie was played so incredibly safe it was not to its benefit. Visuals were good, acting was decent, and sound design was good (no memorable new songs though, it was all just background noise minus the "The Force" theme, which has been in every Star Wars movie).

Overall, not a bad movie, but it was painfully average. Better than the prequels, worse than the originals. A decent 6/10.

Last edited by Spectacular_Insanity; 2015-12-19 at 02:31.
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 02:17   Link #247
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

waiting for someone to play the "i' m Han Solo" song from the dance section of that Star Wars Kinect game at a certain horrifying father son reunion scene of the movie.

Last edited by Faux Mecha; 2015-12-19 at 02:39.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 05:32   Link #248
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
This movie was... okay. It's pretty much 3 hours of my life I'll never get back. I might as well have watched A New Hope and gotten the same experience, except better because that movie was shorter. Frankly, I had more nitpicks and unanswered questions than I did actual enjoyment of the film for what it was... or was supposed to be.

Spoiler for possible spoilers:

There's so many unanswered questions with no answers. I don't know if they're going to be in the sequel, but I refuse to count on it. I'm judging the movie as presented and I wasn't satisfied by the movie because I was never able to suspend my disbelief.

It's seriously like the writers said, "Hey, those guys didn't like the prequels but they liked the originals, right? Well let's do that, that, and that from A New Hope, and this and that from The Empire Strikes Back," and then proceeded to go to TVTropes.org and go down the Star Wars page and check each one off of the list.

The movie was played so incredibly safe it was not to its benefit. Visuals were good, acting was decent, and sound design was good (no memorable new songs though, it was all just background noise minus the "The Force" theme, which has been in every Star Wars movie).

Overall, not a bad movie, but it was painfully average. Better than the prequels, worse than the originals. A decent 6/10.
It's Star Wars, you should really count on sequel since I don't think they ever made a movie that's a stand alone. Although I kind of get what you mean since there's like so many sequel hooks in this movie that it's hard to judge its stand alone plot

Personally this movie really feels like episode 4. Not just its plot but the light saber duels are also painfully average
Spoiler:

Also why does Commander Phasma got so little screen time? :< I was waiting for her to remove her mask and show us how hot she is but nope, not going to happen

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 05:33   Link #249
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I agree with the notion that the movie played very safe. But I can sort of see why they did that, they just want to set up everything for the next movie. The whole movie was basically a trailer for the next one at this point. My hope is that because they played so safe and now people are familiar with characters, they can open it up later movies.

Overall, fun and good movie, not spectacular.
Old 2015-12-19, 06:25   Link #250
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Interesting thing Kevin Smith brought up on Screenjunkies movie fight! Now all 6 movies are prequels!
Old 2015-12-19, 07:05   Link #251
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for So...:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 19:45   Link #252
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

The relative closeness to Ep IV....was intended. It's for the younger generation.
Old 2015-12-19, 21:26   Link #253
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Watched it last night.
As a viewer who never watched 1-3, and only remembering 4-6 with a faint memory from the childhood, 7 for me felt as an enjoyable movie. The dogfight between x-wing and tie fighter is good.

Spoiler for spoiler:

Anyway, awaiting episode 8.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 21:50   Link #254
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
The relative closeness to Ep IV....was intended. It's for the younger generation.
The same generation that grew up liking the prequels or being brought up on TCW and Rebels wouldn't need a movie that's basically Episode IV v. 2.0.

This was definitely for the older generation because they are the ones with the power of the checkbook.

But, I guess, it didn't matter what they did... because Disney knew it was getting a Triple-E container ship of money with this movie anyway. Apparently in 3 days it's made $250 mil.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 21:57   Link #255
monster

I enjoyed this movie, especially the humor, but I feel that the main story was just getting good when it ended. It really feels more like a prologue rather than the first part of a new trilogy.
Spoiler:
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-19, 23:30   Link #256
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I enjoyed this movie, especially the humor, but I feel that the main story was just getting good when it ended. It really feels more like a prologue rather than the first part of a new trilogy.
Spoiler:
I wondered that myself, since for years he has been talking about wanting that.
Old 2015-12-19, 23:40   Link #257
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
The same generation that grew up liking the prequels or being brought up on TCW and Rebels wouldn't need a movie that's basically Episode IV v. 2.0.
that's what's the point. TCW, the prequels and Rebels aren't supposed to be a gateway to the franchise. JJ Abrams, just like what he did to Star Trek, has made a great gateway movie to the franchise. You could show this to a non-fan who doesn't like the dated feel of A new Hope.
Old 2015-12-20, 00:10   Link #258
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I'd say it's a great movie rather than good, personally speaking, partly because of the nostalgia. But objectively speaking, since I rewatched the previous 6 often enough, I don't particularly find it better than the previous 6.

Spoiler for contains plot spoilers on some areas in comparison to the previous movies:
Makes sense that the prequels would have better lightsaber fights. Look what we have in the original trilogy, an old man whose physical abilities have weakened, a cripple who lost all 4 limbs and relies on his suit to keep him alive, and a guy who wasn't trained to use a lightsaber and didn't become decent until Return of the Jedi.

something i notices about the last scene

Spoiler for DON'T LOOK UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN OR WANT TO BE SPOILED!:
Old 2015-12-20, 01:25   Link #259
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I really liked it. Yeah, perhaps some things were a bit predictable and it had homage's out the ass, but overall it was a really good movie.

Spoiler for movie stuff:
Old 2015-12-20, 01:41   Link #260
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Makes sense that the prequels would have better lightsaber fights. Look what we have in the original trilogy, an old man whose physical abilities have weakened, a cripple who lost all 4 limbs and relies on his suit to keep him alive, and a guy who wasn't trained to use a lightsaber and didn't become decent until Return of the Jedi.

something i notices about the last scene

Spoiler for DON'T LOOK UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN OR WANT TO BE SPOILED!:
Huh, didn't notice that.

Speaking of which, wasn't there a similar EU plot where
Spoiler:

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote