AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2021-03-01, 18:02   Link #1821
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm really loving Strikers. The gang is exactly how I remember them, and the game even develops them further. Each case is as much about the antagonists as it is about a member of the Phantom Thieves. So far they're also going a great job avoiding the "adults bad" vibe.

In case someone had any lingering doubt, the game really shouldn't be played if you haven't gone through the original. They didn't attempt to make it newcomer friendly AT ALL. The references to the original are countless, and they're never explained.
Old 2021-03-01, 22:07   Link #1822
Last Sinner
Fear Inoculum

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Well, when they finally get P5 on Steam....

The greatest Ghibli anime ever was Spiritfarer. Think about it.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-03, 17:57   Link #1823
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I suppose if one really wants to play Strikers, they can always watch the P5 anime. It gets the main points across. Maybe they took that into account?
Old 2021-03-03, 22:03   Link #1824
Twi

I wouldn't subject my enemies to that adaptation.
Old 2021-03-04, 04:29   Link #1825
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
I wouldn't subject my enemies to that adaptation.
I mean, I've seen worst.
Old 2021-03-04, 09:33   Link #1826
Twi

Intentionally?
Old 2021-03-04, 11:41   Link #1827
The Green One

How weird that a 12-13 episode series with a 22-25 min run time per episode has to cut out material for a 30-50 hour game. What a strange and unexplanable concept that has never happened before in the history of anime. It's almost like people are expecting us to accept that animes have a much more limited run time and animators have to pick and choose the material to show and can't do a 1:1 recreation but that's just silly. Surely something like this has never happened before ever based on how shocked people act that it happens and how much they whine about cut material.
Old 2021-03-04, 16:33   Link #1828
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
How weird that a 12-13 episode series with a 22-25 min run time per episode has to cut out material for a 30-50 hour game. What a strange and unexplanable concept that has never happened before in the history of anime. It's almost like people are expecting us to accept that animes have a much more limited run time and animators have to pick and choose the material to show and can't do a 1:1 recreation but that's just silly. Surely something like this has never happened before ever based on how shocked people act that it happens and how much they whine about cut material.
The P5 anime was roundabout 30 episodes (counting the hour long special concluding episodes).

I don't think it's so much that people were unhappy with what was cut or shortchanged, although I think that was part of it, but just the overall quality of the production and its presentation.
Old 2021-03-04, 17:28   Link #1829
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Intentionally?
I can't even deny that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
The P5 anime was roundabout 30 episodes (counting the hour long special concluding episodes).

I don't think it's so much that people were unhappy with what was cut or shortchanged, although I think that was part of it, but just the overall quality of the production and its presentation.
I have to agree. Even the animation quality overall is pretty low. Even during Royal and Strikers I had to keep double checking what happened because the animated cutscenes felt different, and they did. A-1 replaced Productions I.G. in the game as well as handling animation duties for the TV adaptation.
Old 2021-03-04, 19:06   Link #1830
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

For people who can't play P5, the anime really does strike me as a valid option to be able to get into Strikers without being completely lost. The animation wasn't good and the palaces were horribly handled (which on the upside means it won't ruin your experience when you finally play P5, plenty of surprises in store), but the main story and the characters were the same.
Old 2021-03-05, 00:00   Link #1831
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
For people who can't play P5, the anime really does strike me as a valid option to be able to get into Strikers without being completely lost. The animation wasn't good and the palaces were horribly handled (which on the upside means it won't ruin your experience when you finally play P5, plenty of surprises in store), but the main story and the characters were the same.
And there were some fun additional scenes and flashbacks for certain areas of the story, as well as voiced Confidante scenes. Some additional scenes actually made it into Royal, funnily enough .

(And also butt shots of the female Phantom Thieves. Have I mentioned Strikers Makoto and her tight leather pants ).
Old 2021-03-05, 05:31   Link #1832
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
(And also butt shots of the female Phantom Thieves. Have I mentioned Strikers Makoto and her tight leather pants ).
I'm 20h into Strikers and I must say: Makoto has had quite a few moments so far. Her fear of ghosts, for instance, never fails to deliver
Old 2021-03-05, 08:46   Link #1833
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I'm 20h into Strikers and I must say: Makoto has had quite a few moments so far. Her fear of ghosts, for instance, never fails to deliver
She has a lot of great "onee-san" moments as well. Especially with that one character. I've always thought she was the best girl and that only cemented it.

Haru is also really great in Strikers. It totally makes up for her not having a lot of screentime due to joining late in the original.
Old 2021-03-05, 14:35   Link #1834
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
She has a lot of great "onee-san" moments as well. Especially with that one character. I've always thought she was the best girl and that only cemented it.

Haru is also really great in Strikers. It totally makes up for her not having a lot of screentime due to joining late in the original.
Damn straight!

Spoiler for First 4 dungeons of Strikers:
Old 2021-03-05, 19:42   Link #1835
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Damn straight!

Spoiler for First 4 dungeons of Strikers:
The comedy is pretty spot-on in this game. I find Yusuke in particular to be hilarious.
Old 2021-03-06, 00:09   Link #1836
Twi

So, I went back and started playing the original P5 on Hard mode because I had a craving for it with all the new content and I was surprised at how unrelentingly brutal it is in the first palace alone (just unlocked the treasure). I mean, not only are EXP drops low but the enemies can one-shot you if you get careless. I had to start abusing the Dormina + Lunge combo with Ann and Ryuuji (and later have Arsene in the party for Dream Needle), manage my bullets, and even settle for retreating when I can't recall a single time I did that in normal mode.

And then that's not even factoring in the lack of SP items early on.
Old 2021-03-06, 09:49   Link #1837
The Green One

Those quality of life improvements sure spoil us huh?
Old 2021-03-06, 11:51   Link #1838
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Those quality of life improvements sure spoil us huh?
It forces you to get creative.

Those Level 16 Archangels practically requires Tarakunda to keep the damage manageable, along with putting him to sleep to keep him from doubling down. So Ryuuji had to take a Taru and then Lunge to abuse the crap out of the Technical (also worked on the Slime Mara).

Beating Shido required I fuse Slime specifically because of its Resistance to Physical and give it some debuff/buff spells just so I can keep nerfing Shido. Sending out someone to get the crown means that you have to keep attacking with at least one character, so I would keep Ryuuji to spam Lunge, Joker would play off-attacker/debuffer or healer, and Ann was basically the healer until he started trying to lick her.

The fact that I actively refused to look up a guide to make it feel more of my own accomplishment and test myself didn't help, but I now have a greater appreciation of strategy.
Old 2021-03-06, 14:10   Link #1839
The Green One

Get creative? You mean force us to actually try and manage resources on a tighter budget.

On Royal it wasn't hard to one day all the dungeons even on a first playthrough. Though I imagine not having the regular p5 clear save bonus would of made the first dungeon harder to one day.
Old 2021-03-08, 18:07   Link #1840
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finished Strikers. Did P5 need a sequel? Maybe not. Was the sequel it got great? Absolutely!

Spoiler for Endgame spoilers:

Tags
jrpg, persona 5, ps3, ps4, shin megami tensei