AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2017-12-24, 14:41   Link #5361
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
And the Week Late Plus One Day Train rolls into Episode 10.

Well, an episode that has a large bulk of combat. Finally. We've seen a lot of talking and walking this episode, but not so much in the way of fighting. Only took past the halfway point of the season for any of that. But, we did start out with just talking. I guess Qrow and Oz are realizing that something is amiss with Leo, whose reasoning to Raven I actually buy. It's not that he's really being blackmailed or agrees with her ways, but just that he's afraid. And he clearly sees that Raven is, too, whatever she says.

Not sure I got the whole fight between whoever and Blake's mom. It was sort of a campier fight where a mom gets ballistic and cracks some skulls. We don't really see anything, but I guess that's what we're supposed to think happened. Kinda odd that her guard was taking cover but she was just out in the open fighting an enemy that we can't see. Not the most well-executed fight we've ever seen in RWBY.

The Blake/Ilia fight was well done, but obviously not a lot of knock-down drag-out stuff since both seemed to not really want to hurt the other. As I saw in the comment section of the YouTube posting of the episode, I think that they went with the Rule of Cool with Blake setting the house on fire to be able to see Ilia. I think a cat Faunus would've been able to see well enough in the low light to see Ilia. Yes, I know that Ilia's skin changed to black to blend in, but Blake would've been able to pick up the movement, I think.

Anyone else think that the brothers kind of suck at fighting? I get that Blake's dad is strong, but man do they go about that fight in a really dumb manner. And the one brother just ignoring Blake to attack the dad was a really bad move.

I found it a little bit contrived how basically the whole town flips its stance based on Blake's speech, but I guess that's to be expected. "Oh, your family got attacked because of your unpopular stance that a lot of us either agree with or at least are ambivalent toward? Sure, let's all go fight for Haven now."

Well, no Weiss, Yang, or RNJR sans-Ruby this episode. Hopefully in two weeks when the Week Late Plus One Day Train rolls into the station for episode 11 that will have been rectified.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-24, 19:34   Link #5362
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I warmly welcome the return of Sun's Gunchucks.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-30, 11:25   Link #5363
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Episode 11:

Jesus H. Christ what a way to end the year.

So the assault on Haven begins. Everyone comes in, they start talking about their goals and intentions etc. etc... but Qrow tries to keep the peace. Until Jaune completely loses his shit on Cinder and attacks her, upon which all hell breaks lose. Cinder manhandles Jaune, Ruby fights Emerald, Yang fights Mercury, Weiss fights Vernal, Qrow fight Raven, Ren and Nora fight Hazel.

All this goes as well as you'd expect with the protagonists being way over their heads. Cinder taunts Jaune who is clearly out of his damn league, especially since we get him having a flashback to Pyrrah's death. He momentarily gets the upper hand when Ruby sees him about to get slaughtered by Cinder by unleashing a small bit of her Silver eye power, stunning Cinder but getting promptly knocked out cold by Emerald. Cinder further taunts the protags.

And promptly caps it all off by stabbing Weiss in the gut with a flame spear. Weiss collapses on the ground, and the episode ends.

#PRAYFORBESTGIRL Yes I know my avatar is Blake but I like Weiss more.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-30, 15:37   Link #5364
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

^Sounds intense. Crossing my fingers that Jaune finally unlocks his damn Semblance. If ever there was good time for it then this is it.

I too find myself liking Weiss more. She has become best girl in team RWBY. She really came far from when she was a snobby bitch back in Volume 1. Hope she makes it out alright.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-30, 15:41   Link #5365
bakato

Jaune is being very annoying right now. This was not the best time to act on a vendetta.
Old 2017-12-30, 15:45   Link #5366
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Jaune isbeing very annoying right now. This was not the best time to act on a vendetta.
He's confronted with Pyrrha's killer right in front of him. I'm not surprised he reacted that way. Let's just hope he smartens up and act more of a smart leader in this fight before it's too late.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-30, 15:53   Link #5367
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
He's confronted with Pyrrha's killer right in front of him. I'm not surprised he reacted that way. Let's just hope he smartens up and act more of a smart leader in this fight before it's too late.
Uh..I think it already is. Also, the fight choreography is the WORST I've ever seen.

Last edited by bakato; 2017-12-30 at 16:07.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-30, 22:44   Link #5368
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Jeez. I have a lot to look forward to next week when the Week Late Plus One Day train rolls into the station. Weiss better not die. She's been growing on me. Yang is still my #1, but Weiss is gaining on Ruby.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-31, 10:02   Link #5369
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Ok, i'm shipping them!
Old 2017-12-31, 13:49   Link #5370
tuckersister

Someone told in would be awesome if Ali Hillis play a character in RWBY. She would best play as a mysterious character that know the anicient past of Remnant (and far older than Ozpin).

She would definitely be one of my picks to play the anicient witch Sarah. She definitely would make Salem VERY uncomfortable cuz she is older than her and has knowledge that is unknown to her.

As I mentioned before, she is REALLY old despite her youth appearance. She was hibernating within the "core" of Remnant for a long time (she is aware what going on outside as she can observe from where she is but can't do anything about it). When she awakening to the current Remnant, she choose to avoid the world and concentrate on other things. She dislikes Ozpin cuz of his actions, but unlike Salem doesn't hate him. One of the reasons she doesn't get involve with the world is that it would cause an imbalance and she thinks that it needs to think on its own. She only get involve when she feels it's necessary. She hates gods (like Lightning) and thinks they're unnecessary. Like Ruby she wearing a hooded cloak, but it's violet and has black embroidery around it in anicent texts and designs. She can use real magic and considers the Maidens' magic an imitation because its lacks a "focus" (hence why the Maidens' magic can easily transfer between people). She has a familiar which is a HUGE dragon thus tries not to summon it too much.

Anyway, I wonder what new character will be revealed at the end of the season.

Last edited by tuckersister; 2017-12-31 at 16:28.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-02, 12:50   Link #5371
shiki343

Okay, I need to do this. I need to vent my frustration. Rage mode is out right now. I've been a fan of RWBY for a couple years now. Though, I'm a fan I have my share of issues with the series. But there's one that frustrates me most of all, and it's only gotten worse as the series has progressed. Now that I've seen Volume 5 episode 11 I just need to get this out of my basement.

This episode made me truly sad and angry, but not for the reason most people are. Come on, who actually believes Weiss is going to die? This is just a scare tactic by RT like with Qrow in Volume 4. They're not going to kill off one of the title character, at least not this early in the game. She's going to end up getting saved by someone (most likely Jaune). If RT really wanted to scare the fandom with a potential death they should've had either Jaune, Ren, or Nora get stabbed instead.

What really irked me this episode was our main character Ruby Rose, and I use that term loosely at this point. Ruby has been getting the shaft for the longest now. Now, it looked like she was finally going to get a cool moment, only to be put back in the closet AGAIN. This is her first real fight this volume, and she looked like a scrub. All the other RWBY girls had their cool moments this volume so far, yet Ruby looks like a scrub. I really don't understand Rooster Teeth's logic with this character. It's not just me either. Many people have complained about Ruby's lack of development compared to all the other major character, and even side characters.

It's a shame because Ruby is a character I've liked since the beginning. She's never been my favorite (Yang and Qrow are my favs) but I've always liked her. At the same time, I find her so frustrating. She's the most frustrating character in the series because of what RT has done with this character, which is nothing. After the end of volume 3 and the volume 4 character short I was actually excited about where they were taking Ruby's character, but she's barely done anything. She didn't do much last volume, and she's done nothing this volume other than give a monologue, and have a pointless training session with Oscar/Ozpin.

It was nice they finally addressed Ruby's incompetence in hand-to-hand, but simply calling attention to it is not enough. It would've been nice if she demonstrated improved hand-to-hand in her fight with Emerald, but that didn't happen. The fight with Emerald was just lame in general. Ruby hasn't had a decent fight to herself since her character short. She hasn't shown any substantial growth in her combat or leadership abilities. In fact, you could say she's gotten worse. Even Jaune is looking better than her combat-wise, and certainly as a leader. She doesn't use her semblance hardly at all. In the character short we saw her do all kinds of crazy stunts with her semblance, but do we see that in the series? She used it a bit during the geist fight, but that was it.

She hasn't gone through any noteworthy emotional journey like the other RWBY girls. Ruby's voice actress hinted that Ruby could break. If so that could be interesting if handled right. If RT handles like they did Yang's depression last volume I'm gonna be mad. If you're going to have Ruby break she can't just be depressed for a bit, and then have Weiss, Blake, Yang, and the rest give her a pep talk, and then she's fine. It has to have lasting effects on her character, or what's the point?

We're now two volumes out from volume 3 and we still don't know anything more about the silver eyes or Summer Rose. Ruby doesn't seem to show any interest in either of them too, which is bizarre. If I were Ruby and I was told I had this immense dormant power I would want to know all about it and how to use it, especially given the dire situation. I'd also want to know how my mother really died.

This episode the silver eyes finally comes back, it does very little, and Ruby then gets knocked out like a loser. WTF! Not only does that make Ruby look pitiful, but it lessens the impact of the silver eyes. Why did RT choose that scene to reincorporate the silver eyes? It was pointless. It's like they're trying to make Ruby look pathetic. I don't understand what Miles and Kerry are doing with this character. Do they themselves know? I'm sure they do, but it doesn't fee like it. I swear to God, if this volume ends and Ruby still hasn't had a meaningful fight or character moment I'm flying out to RT Headquarters and giving Miles and Kerry the most devastating drop kick EVER.

Thinking positively; there's still three episodes left. There's still room for Ruby to have her moment, and it had better happen. I'm sorry this is so long! It's just really frustrating to see the state the character Ruby and everything they've done with her. I'm not saying she has to be in the spotlight at all times. Of course not! But Ruby right now is like Aoi Kazuya from Freezing. She's supposed to be the main character, but throughout the last couple volumes she's felt more like a side character than anything.
shiki343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-03, 08:54   Link #5372
Tenzen12

Is this some kind if trolling? It certainly look that way.

Jaune - got his ass handed
Weiss - git nothing but beating
Nora & Ten - got causally overpowered

So how it come that Ruby who held her own against Emerald just fine and even managed save Jaunes life is one that suck?
Old 2018-01-03, 14:59   Link #5373
shiki343

Granted, most of our heroes looked bad in this chapter. I was not a fan of how RT handled the combat in this chapter. No teamwork on display at all. The Ruby part irked me the most because she really hasn't had much to do this volume. She didn't get much focus last volume either.

Weiss, Blake, Yang, Ren, Nora, and Jaune have all had their moments to shine, while Ruby hasn't. That's factual. I just pray to God that changes in these last three episodes, because I like Ruby and I don't want to hate on her.
Old 2018-01-03, 16:50   Link #5374
DMurphy

I don't think you're giving Ruby a fair shake here.

Ruby literally has not had the chance to learn to use her silver eyes power. Who would even teach her, after all? Ozpin and Qrow are thus far the only people we've encountered who even might have the knowledge base to teach her (and that's a big 'might'), and they've had a lot on their plate.

And her fight with Emerald isn't as bad as I think you're making it out to be, because Ruby doesn't want to fight Emerald at all. Ruby knows Emerald as a friend, and she doesn't understand why Emerald would serve a monster like Salem -- that entire fight is Emerald fighting Ruby to keep her away from Cinder, and Ruby not really giving her all in fighting Emerald.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-03, 18:07   Link #5375
Wandering Soul

When Ruby said that they have things that other people would say is impossible, was anyone else wondering what she was referring to? I don't recall them doing anything that people would say was impossible.
Old 2018-01-03, 18:10   Link #5376
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

A bunch of things? If not for how extremely solid Salem's plans were, they'd have thrown in a monkey wrench more than once.

There was also their takedown of that one Grimm that eats huntsmen for breakfast.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-03, 18:26   Link #5377
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
A bunch of things? If not for how extremely solid Salem's plans were, they'd have thrown in a monkey wrench more than once.

There was also their takedown of that one Grimm that eats huntsmen for breakfast.
But the fact remains that they haven't really done anything to throw a wrench into Salem's plan.

Also, that Grimm was supposed to be an impossible task? It was powerful, but it mostly stuck under the radar because it stayed in an abandoned village barely anyone has a reason to visit. If Qrow was injured, then he probably could have taken it out himself. It was a difficult task, but not the impossible one Ruby is setting up her accomplishments to be.
Old 2018-01-03, 18:49   Link #5378
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

You make it sound like nobody ever achieved anything.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-03, 18:51   Link #5379
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I really hope that they stop making these Pyrrhic victories and relative losses to bait hype. It's been done with Qrow's life threatened by Tyrian's poison, and people already became disillusioned by that.

I feel like the writing is losing its touch on every successive volume.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-03, 19:06   Link #5380
shiki343

I doubt Qrow knows much beyond the legend. Given how old Ozpin is supposed to be I'm pretty sure he knows things about the silver eyes. What's weird to me is that Ruby never brings it up ever. She could've done it in chapter 10, but she didn't. She doesn't seem to have the slightest interest in the silver eyes. She's not even remotely curious about a power she has that can freeze grimm? Sorry, I'm not buying that.

I wouldn't be hating on the Emerald fight so much if Ruby had more to do this volume, and they didn't tease the silver eyes only for it to go nowhere. This is Ruby's first fight in this volume. Her first one-on-one since her character short. If you liked the fight that's great. I just didn't think it was that good.

We'll just have to wait and see how things progress from here. Hopefully, now that Weiss is down (not dead) we'll get to see Ruby go ham and have a full-on silver eye moment. If instead Jaune activates his semblance and somehow saves the day and gets the glory in the end I'm will rage so hard. Please RT, don't that! I'm begging you!

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby