AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-25, 14:38   Link #101
Rurik
Golden

Yeah, but then it doesnt make sense that the author never trew Hints of Luffy going trough a similar tragedy/Lost.
Old 2010-05-25, 15:12   Link #102
james0246

^Actually, his rampant devotion to his nakama acts as a very good foreshadowing of a person who has actually lost a loved one. I've always wondered just why Luffy was so dedicated to his friends, but I generally just wrote of his behaviour as being a token Shounen quality. But, if it turns out that Sabo did die, then Luffy's desires to constantly protect his friends seems all the more reasonable (or at least more understandable).
Old 2010-05-25, 15:24   Link #103
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Actually, his rampant devotion to his nakama acts as a very good foreshadowing of a person who has actually lost a loved one. I've always wondered just why Luffy was so dedicated to his friends, but I generally just wrote of his behaviour as being a token Shounen quality. But, if it turns out that Sabo did die, then Luffy's desires to constantly protect his friends seems all the more reasonable (or at least more understandable).
I always saw his devotion to the Nakama's as a product of what happened to him with Shanks.

Sabo can be Alive or death, but if he is dead, this flashback would had made more sense before the marinford incident.
Old 2010-05-25, 15:38   Link #104
james0246

^Sabo's possible death only reinforces the actions that Shanks took (i.e. a person allowing themselves to be harmed so as to prevent harm befalling a friend)...the tragedy would also match some of the other tragic pasts (Robin, Nami, etc), something that is not really possible without Sabo's death (though a betrayal would also be interesting - though that might be too similar to Robin on Water 7 or Nami way back during the Arlong Arc...in fact Sabo betraying Luffy but meaning it, or betraying and then dying could act as good parallels to the aforementioned nakama arcs).
Old 2010-05-25, 16:43   Link #105
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Sabo's possible death only reinforces the actions that Shanks took (i.e. a person allowing themselves to be harmed so as to prevent harm befalling a friend)...the tragedy would also match some of the other tragic pasts (Robin, Nami, etc), something that is not really possible without Sabo's death (though a betrayal would also be interesting - though that might be too similar to Robin on Water 7 or Nami way back during the Arlong Arc...in fact Sabo betraying Luffy but meaning it, or betraying and then dying could act as good parallels to the aforementioned nakama arcs).
Your Parenthesis sentences are toooo long....

Either way, Before Ace death, people were claiming Luffy needed some tragedy in his life to connect to the other characters, , reason why people wanted Ace death, (I really didn’t like the idea) now You are telling me that In top of that, He has to have had another tragedy? I'm sorry, it just that the whole tragedy bonding never clicked on me.

Only with the Shanks parts is serves to explain Luffy’s behavior, outside the fact that he is playing the common Shonen here role, Sabo could serve to reinforced it, I just don’t see it as necessary. And if the point of the author is that Sabo’s alleged death triggered both Ace and Luffy’s behavior to protect Nakamas, I still think it would had made more sense to the story to put these flashback before and not after Ace's death. In this case The reader would had felt more connected to Luffy stress over saving Ace, and at the same time leaving the reader more awe struck with Ace death.

Not to mention Luffy was way to carefree for someone to have lost a brother...but We will see...
Old 2010-05-25, 19:10   Link #106
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
Only with the Shanks parts is serves to explain Luffy’s behavior, outside the fact that he is playing the common Shonen here role, Sabo could serve to reinforced it, I just don’t see it as necessary. And if the point of the author is that Sabo’s alleged death triggered both Ace and Luffy’s behavior to protect Nakamas, I still think it would had made more sense to the story to put these flashback before and not after Ace's death. In this case The reader would had felt more connected to Luffy stress over saving Ace, and at the same time leaving the reader more awe struck with Ace death.
Luffy's behavior doesn't need other people's actions to be explained. Luffy is an orphan. His mom's dead and for the longest time he didn't even think he had a father. His granddad is never around and instead leaves him in the care of others. He's also sternly against Luffy's own dreams for his life and constantly beating him up, so it's not like Luffy is just thrilled to be around him all the time. Or rather, he can't be around him because then he could never be a pirate. He's never had any really close family bonds, so when he finally finds some of course he'll go all out to protect them. Being alone hurts more than physical pain for him.

I'm pretty sure this flashback is meant to help Luffy get over Ace's death. If not, there's really no point for it starting when it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
Not to mention Luffy was way to carefree for someone to have lost a brother...but We will see...
How is he supposed to act? Is he supposed to lament his brother's death every waking moment for the rest of his life? That seems to be what he's doing with Ace's death, and it doesn't seem to be working out too well.
Old 2010-05-25, 20:50   Link #107
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
His mom's dead
News to me.
Old 2010-05-25, 23:08   Link #108
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Boa didn't fall in love with Luffy over the wrong reasons. She fell for him for all of the right ones. She's a traumatized girl. She was enslaved by nobles and saw many atrocities and was victim of many, too.
Let me remind you that we're talking about a one-sided romance with her. Luffy only acknowledges her an an ally and nothing more whilst she has delusions of having him as the one husband to bear her child. All I'm saying is that Boa Hancock is deserving a reality check by having Luffy (or anyone else for that matter) tell her that they're just close friends and nothing more.

Quote:
Boa is not cruel. she's mean. She's a misanthrope and cynical. She thinks she has to be jerk to keep herself and her people safe from evil.
If that's the case, the only evil she won't stand a chance against are the forces of Blackbeard. The way I see it:

Yami Yami no Mi- He would negate Boa Hancock's powers.

Gura Gura no Mi- More than enough power to destroy Amazon Lily.

Crewmates- With San Juan Wolf on the side of Blackbeard, the natives would most surely lose.
Old 2010-05-25, 23:31   Link #109
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Yami Yami no Mi- He would negate Boa Hancock's powers.
Forgot Haki. Oops.
Old 2010-05-26, 01:07   Link #110
Kallen4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Forgot Haki. Oops.
how does Haki stop Yami Yami no Mi from working ?
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2010-05-26, 01:08   Link #111
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
how does Haki stop Yami Yami no Mi from working ?
It doesn't, but Rainbow did not include Haki (which is a rather big factor) in his analysis. Thats all.
Old 2010-05-26, 01:20   Link #112
Kallen4life

true, however, you don't need haki to strike logia BB - he's already a damage-magnet .. and I srsly doubt he can be knocked out like the fodder with the 'force-blast'
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2010-05-26, 02:04   Link #113
marvelB

New chapter thread's up. guys. Looks like some familiar faces show up in this one.....
Old 2010-05-26, 03:04   Link #114
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Let me remind you that we're talking about a one-sided romance with her. Luffy only acknowledges her an an ally and nothing more whilst she has delusions of having him as the one husband to bear her child. All I'm saying is that Boa Hancock is deserving a reality check by having Luffy (or anyone else for that matter) tell her that they're just close friends and nothing more.
She's not delusional. Oda made a big deal giving us the reason why she is inexperienced with such emotions. She is an amazon and she was enslaved by nobles. Her upbringing indoctrinated her with antagonism towards the outside world and men. Her experience under the hands of the nobles only reinforced her Amazon upbringing. This has pretty much closed her off from making friends and befriending men since she has suffered at their hands and fears showing weakness to her people. She has self esteem issues, for goodness sakes. This is not the loli stalker crush we see in a lot of anime where the loli sexually harasses the hero or gets a mean crush at him at first sight.

Boa only falls for Luffy after he shows selflessness, heroism, and offers himself as a sacrifice at her feet in exchange for the life of someone else. She didn't like him when they meet, she was indifferent to him, and intended to kill him.

Anyhow, she acts very proper in his presence and tries to maintain composed. She fantasizes about him, that's about it.

Anyhow, she's also Kallen Stadfeldt devoted to him 'cause she admitted she'd would have traded her life in exchange for not seeing him in his defeated and mangled condition. Whoa! Man! That's like the real deal.
Old 2010-05-26, 08:41   Link #115
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Luffy's behavior doesn't need other people's actions to be explained. Luffy is an orphan. His mom's dead and for the longest time he didn't even think he had a father. His granddad is never around and instead leaves him in the care of others. He's also sternly against Luffy's own dreams for his life and constantly beating him up, so it's not like Luffy is just thrilled to be around him all the time. Or rather, he can't be around him because then he could never be a pirate. He's never had any really close family bonds, so when he finally finds some of course he'll go all out to protect them. Being alone hurts more than physical pain for him.

I'm pretty sure this flashback is meant to help Luffy get over Ace's death. If not, there's really no point for it starting when it did.
I cant’ say I disagree with you, but I cant say what’s is your point.

Quote:
How is he supposed to act? Is he supposed to lament his brother's death every waking moment for the rest of his life? That seems to be what he's doing with Ace's death, and it doesn't seem to be working out too well.
Nope, but we would have had hints that not everything was sunshine with him. The luffy that was presented to us until this very moment was presented to us as someone who didn’t went trough a Major life tragedy, something to the scale of Ace’s death.
Old 2010-05-26, 12:19   Link #116
Rainbowman

Quote:
Anyhow, she acts very proper in his presence and tries to maintain composed. She fantasizes about him, that's about it.
What I'm worried about is that she would get carried away with her fantasies and then get jealous when she meets with Nami and Robin.
Old 2010-05-26, 14:06   Link #117
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

She's already jealous of those two and hasn't even met them, at least in the anime.
Old 2010-05-26, 22:51   Link #118
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
She's already jealous of those two and hasn't even met them, at least in the anime.
Exactly. Which is why I'm worried for at least Nami's well being. Her well being is connected to my inspirations. I happen to keep a list (Top Secret for now) of the characters who damage her well being. And when that list is complete (within the One Piece story), those characters will face a punishment the media will come to know.
Old 2010-05-27, 06:45   Link #119
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ Don't worry. Nami has only gone through the tip of the iceburg when it comes to punishment. The New World still awaits her, and that's when the real hell will begin .