AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-02-12, 06:47   Link #121
Knocks

Are there any scene releases of Sailor Moon R other than the awful R1 rips? Subbed or raw is ok...
Knocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 15:44   Link #122
Oujirou
イルージョン

Send a message via MSN to Oujirou
Quick Sailor Moon question

Hopefully this is a good place to post this...was also considering 'Older Series'.

So the other day I felt like watching Sailor Moon again...and the ending of episode 200 was kind of lacking...sorta. I decided to flip through some of the end manga and there seems to be some extra/differences. I know the anime is loosely based on the manga but is there a chapter/volume that picks up after the anime?

I've been planning to read it all from start to end at some point, I'm more just curious.
Oujirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 16:57   Link #123
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
The anime has made so many differences since the first season, it will make little sense to read just the last arc. But if you want the main difference, then read the final 10 chapters that change a lot the fight with Galaxia.

Last edited by roriconfan; 2010-06-23 at 02:06.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-23, 05:38   Link #124
Oujirou
イルージョン

Send a message via MSN to Oujirou
Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
The anime has made so many differences since the first season, it will make little sense to read just the last arc. But if you want the main difference, then read the final 10 chapters that change a lot the fight with Galaxia.
Yeah I just decided to start from the beginning and already see the differences from the anime. How many volumes are there? One place has 12, another has 19...

Edit: Nevermind, figured it all out

Last edited by Oujirou; 2010-06-23 at 18:30.
Oujirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 05:27   Link #125
tyciol
*Artist

As of now, the first 2 seasons are done by SailorMoon Center and they are working on 3 (s) and it looks like nobody has done 4 yet (SuperS).

So we should basically wait to watch 5 (Stars) until we've seen these right?
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 15:41   Link #126
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Here is my take on all the seasons.

ANIMATION SECTION: 7 [Bishoujos in Sailor Suits.]

The first thing to notice is how every season of Sailor Moon has a different prevailing color.
-The first season’s main color was black, depicted in several night scenes were the girls in the story are looking for romance and a way to answer the question for their reincarnation. The villains also adored the darkness and were living in a dark underground base.
-The second season’s main color was white, depicted in several scenes of Crystal Tokyo’s buildings and in the prevailing sparkling jewels and crystals found in the series. Every major building, spaceship and artifact was a sparkling crystal in this season.
-The third season’s main color was red, depicted in several scenes of Tokyo’s future destruction and in the villains’ experiments. Everything evilly created in this season is blood red.
-The fourth season’s main colors were yellow and pink, depicted in several scenes of Dreamland and the Dead Circus motifs.
-The fifth season’s main colors are yellow and light blue/azure, depicted in several scenes of crystals and visual effects.

The animation is old for today’s standards but still does the trick. There is nothing particularly bad with the graphics. The visual effects were bright and cheery, as they should be in a girly series.

A bad point is the repeating sequences of the transformations and the special attacks. Every episode recycles them to the point of becoming very annoying. We’re talking about 1/3rd of every episode being wasted on them. But all this posing and special attack fuss has become the trademark of the series. And it may brainwash you into actually liking them AND crave for them.

Another bad point is the lame-looking monsters-of-the-week. They are plain stupid to look at, fight really simple and get defeated really fast and always in the same way. But at least the animators learned from their mistakes and improved them in the following seasons. They look better and better with each season, plus have more interesting weaponry.

Another notice must be made about the Sailor uniforms in the final season. They are extravagant to the point of being considered a sexual fetish! All the new good and bad Sailor Warriors are dressed in so much leather and show enough cleavage to be mistaken for night queens, or something. And Sailor Moon’s new uniform is huge! How does she move in it?

SOUND SECTION: 7 [The characters speak with a real kick in whatever they’re saying.]

There is a lot of “chan” and “san” going around in honorifics but that is part of the normal package.

The bad guys are talking too snobbish (Hohoho! Your pathetic powers are nothing before my beautiful face!) and the good guys too manihaistic (If you are a bad person, I will punish you in the name of the moon!) but you get to like it after a while.

A major twist is the ironic remarks everyone makes. There is a lot of self-mockery in their one-liners, so all those repeating phrases and transformations never become old as you expect a comeback phrase to laugh at.

Also, a notice is to be given for the main song (Moonlight Densetsu), which is amongst the best girly music I know of. There is a new intro song in the fifth season, which is as nice as the old one. If you add the rest of the songs in the lot, then you think you are watching a cheesy Broadway musical. It’s an overall nice work.

STORY SECTION: 7 [Once upon a time, there was a princess on the moon...]

Every season can easily be divided into story arks of 10 to 20 episodes. On each story ark, in the beginning you get a new goal and new characters entering the stage. Stand-alone episodes with a monster-of-the-week formula fill the in-between. And towards the end, the goal is usually accomplished and the basic villain changes. All following story arks follow the same pattern. It is a great way of dragging the story as far as the producers like. There are some serious episodes, followed by a loose plot that steadily escalates to major events. How can you hate it?

Season 1
Spoiler:

Season 2
Spoiler:

Season 3
Spoiler:

Season 4
Spoiler:

Season 5
Spoiler:

Heck, I wish for most shounen to have had half the plot elements this mahou shojo had. Most in-between episodes damage the Story feeling, but the scenario is otherwise very good, despite the clichés.

CHARACTER SECTION: 8 (spoiler alert!) [Although there are no original characters, their quirks and decent coloring makes up for it.]

Season 1
Spoiler:

Season 2
Spoiler:

Season 3
Spoiler:

Season 4
Spoiler:

Season 5
Spoiler:

VALUE SECTION: 10 [I find no reason for not considering it amongst the best of what this genre has to offer.]

Sailor Moon is neither the first nor the best Mahou Shojo on the block. But it became famous enough, thanks to:
-its likable characters. Since all of them are stereotypes, every viewer can easily find someone he/she likes and thus root for.
-its really long duration. This is the first of five tv seasons and several movies, easily becoming the longest Mahou Shojo ever made. More than enough time to bind with the characters.
-its evolving story. Although most episodes are stand-alones, there is a story that changes every 10 or so episodes, giving an air of freshness.
-its romance. It is quite stereotypical most of the time but the visual effects and the metaphysical plot make it more interesting than that of a typical slice-of-life romantic scenario.
-its several name allusions. Every Sailor Warrior has the basic element she controls in her surname, villains are always named after a specific category (minerals in the first season, crystals in the second, animals in the fourth, metals in the fifth), and special effects are tied to their user’s personality.

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 7 [The episodes can be divided into the stand-alones and the story-centered ones.]

The story-centered ones were great. Very predictable most of the time but the dramatic backdrop made me forget that and I was simply absorbed in them.

The stand-alones were repetitive but also good most of the time. Although I prefer on-going stories, the comedy and/or romance in them were more than enough to make them interesting to keep watching. Not many series are capable of accomplishing this.

As a build up, the interest was peaking in the first three seasons as it was slowly becoming darker, and a bit more violent serious, dropped a lot in the fourth for looking like a silly fairy tale, and rose a lot again in the fifth for becoming far kinkier.

VERDICT
Very naïve and repetitive but its heart is pure and intact.

SUGGESTION LIST

Princess Tutu (awesome!) is by far the best Mahou Shoujo series.

These Mahou Shoujo titles are also worth watching: Wedding Peach, Card Captor Sakura, Magic Knight Rayearth, Lyrical Nanoha (all of them are good)

The Sailor Moon manga has quite a few differences with the anime. It is a lot darker and mature as a whole.

Lingerie Senshi Papillon Rose is a silly hentai title that parodies Sailor Moon.

Average: 7.6 / 10
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 08:24   Link #127
FireChick

I know this is a weird place to ask this since this discussion thread is about Stars, but I can't find a discussion thread about SuperS so I'm going to do it here.

Random question! I'm curious about watching SuperS since it's apparently the most light-hearted and the most hated of all the Sailor Moon seasons, and I'm curious about seeing if it's really as bad as people make it out to be (which I don't think will be true as I like to watch things with an open mind). I do confess I'm only on episode 10 of the first season and have yet to meet Chibiusa, but...is it possible to watch SuperS as a standalone series? Without having seen Sailor Moon S? Or other seasons? Or do you have to absolutely watch all the seasons before watching SuperS?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 13:11   Link #128
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
You can but you'll be asking youself a lot of questions about the characters-it's really best to at least watch season 1 before watching S.
Old 2013-01-21, 18:23   Link #129
FireChick

I was mostly talking about SuperS but ok.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 19:17   Link #130
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

I think you can watch it on it's own, you'll find out pretty fast if it doesn't make sense to you that way. One problem though: SuperS concludes with the first few episodes of Stars, so if you want the ending, you'll have to watch those too.
Old 2013-01-21, 19:52   Link #131
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
You can but you'll be asking youself a lot of questions about the characters
Indeed. All the seasons of Sailor Moon have very unrelated and independent storylines, so you won't be completely lost or anything if you jump ahead to SuperS Episode 1 since it's a fresh beginning with a new storyline, but it might still be somewhat disorienting since you'll skip all the main characters' introductions, development, and relationship building. Sailor Moon Classic and Sailor Moon R would both be recommended watching, since Sailor Moon R introduces Chibiusa, who is the primary focus of SuperS; skipping Sailor Moon S wouldn't present much of a problem, since the only characters introduced in the third season are almost completely absent from the fourth.

If you're really in the mood to watch SuperS, though, and don't want to wade through Classic + R's combined 89 episodes, I'm sure you could do so and get the hang of things (more or less) within the first 3-4 episodes. I very much enjoyed SuperS, for what it's worth. It's somewhat aimless compared to the other seasons (It's not any more lighthearted than Sailor Moon Classic or Sailor Moon R for the most part, though those two had a more focused plot; S is a few shades darker, with Stars somber and almost joyless compared to the rest of the anime), but the entire anime is wonderful and SuperS is no exception.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 11:59   Link #132
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
The thing about Sailor Stars is that while the seasons are semi independent you really need to start at the the beginning to really understand the characters-if I just jumped into Sailor Stars headfirst without any references or comprehension of the characters I'd be lost pretty quickly. In that respect Wedding Peach is the same.
Old 2013-01-22, 12:54   Link #133
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Random question! I'm curious about watching SuperS since it's apparently the most light-hearted and the most hated of all the Sailor Moon seasons, and I'm curious about seeing if it's really as bad as people make it out to be (which I don't think will be true as I like to watch things with an open mind).
If those are your reasons for jumping into SuperS, you might as well start from the very beginning instead. None of the Sailor Moon seasons was entirely light-hearted, and SuperS wasn't unusual in this regard. I also don't think that it's the worst season by any stretch - Sailor Moon R is weaker season in a lot of ways.

That's not to say that you'd miss a whole lot by going straight to SuperS, but you will have to do a bit of figuring out character dynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
I do confess I'm only on episode 10 of the first season and have yet to meet Chibiusa, but...is it possible to watch SuperS as a standalone series? Without having seen Sailor Moon S? Or other seasons? Or do you have to absolutely watch all the seasons before watching SuperS?
All of the Sailor Moon seasons except for Stars are standalones that can be watched without much prior knowledge. If you can though, you're better off starting from the very beginning. The only thing to bear in mind is that Sailor Moon wasn't afraid of taking a lot of time before introducing new characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post
The thing about Sailor Stars is that while the seasons are semi independent you really need to start at the the beginning to really understand the characters-if I just jumped into Sailor Stars headfirst without any references or comprehension of the characters I'd be lost pretty quickly. In that respect Wedding Peach is the same.
Going with Stars first is a no-go as far as I'm concerned. The first few episodes, awesome as they are, serve just as an epilogue for SuperS, so they don't act as a very apt introduction.

Tags
magical girl, shojo