AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-08, 16:21   Link #261
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysan View Post
Ha, ha, seriously. Seeing episode 3 on the menu but not being able to play due to my lack of comprehension is KILLER. Never before* have I wished so strongly that I knew Japanese. ...Or at least, that I payed more attention in class >_> . (I can technically read/write katakana and hirgana with no problems, I just cannot COMPREHEND. *laughs* .....^^;..... *sadly*)
Hmm
I know how you feel
Some years ago I was dying to read Higurashi and nobody ever volunteered to translate the visual novels.
Then I got tired of waiting for others' translations and decided to learn Japanese on my free time, on my own, with lessons found over the internet.

Now, my skills with japanese are not that great (I'm a bit slow reading) but I at least am able to read novels on my own.

I think that, if people really like this kind of stuff, it is worth to save some time every day and study a bit. Japanese is not so hard as it seems. Maybe you won't make it in time for umineko series, but there's always good stuff around and to come.

It's just an advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Creator View Post
Can someone recomend me a good site where i can download some kanji list to learn how to write them (and their meanings of course =P)

I'm still learning katakana but i want to start learning some kanjis as soon as posible.
I don't know many verbs yet, i'm still finishing first year =P so i you think that it's too difficult, tell me so please.

http://www.mahou.org/Kanji/

Just type the kanji and you get lots of stuff about it (including how to write).
Some more uncommon kanji don't have so much info, though

just an example:

http://www.mahou.org/Kanji/3962/

For the kanji "高" (high).
Old 2008-11-08, 16:49   Link #262
kiki_natsumi-chan
Battler follower

Send a message via MSN to kiki_natsumi-chan
Hmmm...can I ask where you got those japanese lessons? =D
Thanks =D
Old 2008-11-09, 02:34   Link #263
Shadow Miko
ASuki's #1 Virgillia fan~

I haven't played Banquet of the Golden Witch yet so this might be silly to ask. But is Kanon's actual name ever revealed?

I had a really stupid theory about him, actually. Haha. But because his name was never revealed in Turn (at least, I'm not there yet if it is) I couldn't theorize more.

WAS Hanyuu's biggest fangirl, my heart belongs to Virgillia now. <3 Loli Salad - A blog of epic-proportions!
Old 2008-11-09, 03:28   Link #264
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki_natsumi-chan View Post
Hmmm...can I ask where you got those japanese lessons? =D
Thanks =D
google
this guy rocks

hehe

some suggestions:

http://www.nihongoresources.com

http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/ (dictionary)

http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/

After them, you can try to complement:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/jgrammar/

http://www.timwerx.net/home/index.htm

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/

http://www.learn-japanese.info/

http://www.jgram.org

these pages always have links to others of the same kind
Old 2008-11-09, 07:57   Link #265
kiki_natsumi-chan
Battler follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Miko View Post
I haven't played Banquet of the Golden Witch yet so this might be silly to ask. But is Kanon's actual name ever revealed?

I had a really stupid theory about him, actually. Haha. But because his name was never revealed in Turn (at least, I'm not there yet if it is) I couldn't theorize more.
Nope it isn't revealed. Dx

theacefrehley: Thanks for the links xD
Old 2008-11-10, 11:05   Link #266
NrvnqsrChaos

"Turn of the Golden Witch" is the best I have read from Ryukishi07 up till now, it is a complete mindfuck, destroys everything you might have thought of in "Legend of the Golden Witch" (it was that way in my case) and entertains you really well on the other hand. Also, the music is really great, I am even thinking of converting the ogg files and put it on my iPod.
Definitly looking forward to "Banquet of the Golden Witch", I cannot wait for the new translation patch. Thanks a lot to the team here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Creator
I'm still learning katakana but i want to start learning some kanjis as soon as posible.
I don't know many verbs yet, i'm still finishing first year =P so i you think that it's too difficult, tell me so please.
No, just learn some kanjis, then try reading something, look up the missing kanjis and try to memorize them. I make good progress that way, it can give you a good feeling of success very fast if you keep learning steadily.
Old 2008-11-10, 13:58   Link #267
nagare
魔女狩り続行中

Quote:
Can someone recomend me a good site where i can download some kanji list to learn how to write them (and their meanings of course =P)

Way off the topic of Umineko, but I love discussions like these. theacefrehley posts above are probably a good place to start. In addition to his recommendation, but I HIGHLY recommended reading fairy tales. Not only are they relatively easy to read, but by reading them, you also learn some core cultural values and symbolism of the language (both visual and verbal). Plus many stories will reference them in one form or another. Another plus, is that they're easy to find (on the web - most likely for free, or at *gasp* a library) and will have very good translations in your language of preference for reference and analysis.

In Japanese, look under 童話 or 昔話
Some examples: 浦島太郎, 一寸法師, 桃太郎, サルカニ合戦, つるのおんがえし, かぐや姫
I also recommend reading the 一休さん short stories.
Old 2008-11-12, 18:02   Link #268
MuzikalNotes
Amry-chan, mii~

And to get back to the main topic, yeah, Turn of the Golden Witch did pretty much kill off any possible theories I had (if I had any at all). Though the theory that someone is possibly assisting Beatrice won't get off my mind, even though I think it seems kinda unreasonable, since she doesn't really need anyone to help her, and she would have done this without anyone telling her to anyways. It's still on my mind though.

And on the Japanese, thanks to those new links, I can finally properly learn Japanese grammar. I have so many bookmarks and files, yet I couldn't find a way to learn grammar through a step-by-step tutorial with huge explanations. Thank you every much! ありがとうごんざいます!
Old 2008-11-12, 19:33   Link #269
kiki_natsumi-chan
Battler follower

For some reason, in this arc, I don't trust Genji. I don't really know why...it's just that...if we followed the Wolf and Sheep puzzle...if Genji was a sheep he would have been weak if a 'wolf' came. But he didn't get killed. He lived until the end. Rosa...I don't exactly suspect her since...she was with somebody most of the time. So unless we can't trust the perspective of the narrator (whoever that is) and the red text...Genji might have something to do with the murder...

Who knows.
Old 2008-11-12, 19:53   Link #270
The Creator
Golden Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peroyasha View Post
Way off the topic of Umineko, but I love discussions like these. theacefrehley posts above are probably a good place to start. In addition to his recommendation, but I HIGHLY recommended reading fairy tales. Not only are they relatively easy to read, but by reading them, you also learn some core cultural values and symbolism of the language (both visual and verbal). Plus many stories will reference them in one form or another. Another plus, is that they're easy to find (on the web - most likely for free, or at *gasp* a library) and will have very good translations in your language of preference for reference and analysis.

In Japanese, look under 童話 or 昔話
Some examples: 浦島太郎, 一寸法師, 桃太郎, サルカニ合戦, つるのおんがえし, かぐや姫
I also recommend reading the 一休さん short stories.
Thx for the info, but i have no idea how to write kanjis, i wanted some kind lists of kanjis with their meaning and how to write them =x
Old 2008-11-12, 19:59   Link #271
MuzikalNotes
Amry-chan, mii~

Quote:
Thx for the info, but i have no idea how to write kanjis, i wanted some kind lists of kanjis with their meaning and how to write them =x
http://www.kanjisite.com/index.html
http://japanese.about.com/library/blkanji.htm
http://japanese.about.com/library/blkodarchives.htm

These are the sites I used to learn kanji. The first site doesn't have stroke order, but the other two do. Good luck.
Old 2008-11-12, 20:04   Link #272
The Creator
Golden Emperor

Thankee-sai
Old 2008-11-13, 00:13   Link #273
crazysjd89

Send a message via MSN to crazysjd89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikalNotes View Post
And to get back to the main topic, yeah, Turn of the Golden Witch did pretty much kill off any possible theories I had (if I had any at all). Though the theory that someone is possibly assisting Beatrice won't get off my mind, even though I think it seems kinda unreasonable, since she doesn't really need anyone to help her, and she would have done this without anyone telling her to anyways. It's still on my mind though.
That's not to absurd, if you think about how she (apprantly) got Shannon to help her by breaking the mirror.

My personal theory is along those lines, though, that Beatrice is getting one of the 18 people to help her, by getting people to "believe" her.

Quote:
For some reason, in this arc, I don't trust Genji. I don't really know why...it's just that...if we followed the Wolf and Sheep puzzle...if Genji was a sheep he would have been weak if a 'wolf' came. But he didn't get killed. He lived until the end. Rosa...I don't exactly suspect her since...she was with somebody most of the time. So unless we can't trust the perspective of the narrator (whoever that is) and the red text...Genji might have something to do with the murder...
I wouldn't put too much faith in the Wolf and Sheep puzzle. I think even Rosa said it, that in the situation they were in, it would even be possible for less wolves to kill more sheep.

To use an example that I remember, Rosa "prooved" she wasn't a wolf by holding the gun at Battler. In this case, there would have been two sheep and one wolf, but I think the wolf could have easily won in this situation.
Old 2008-11-13, 17:35   Link #274
MuzikalNotes
Amry-chan, mii~

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysjd89 View Post
That's not to absurd, if you think about how she (apprantly) got Shannon to help her by breaking the mirror.

My personal theory is along those lines, though, that Beatrice is getting one of the 18 people to help her, by getting people to "believe" her.
Mine is something along those lines, except that someone outisde the family is assisting her. Everyone had died in either or both of the episodes, so I don't really think it's impossible. Guess I'll just have to wait until the 3rd episode is finished (or be able to read enough Japanese to read most of the episode, whichever comes first).

Edit: Another theory I have come up with is that something similar to what happened in Higurashi
Spoiler for Higurashi:
might have come up in Umineko, but wouldn't that be too obvious? Well, I don't mean exactly that, but something at least distinctly similar. Being confined on an island with no possibility of escape doesn't calm the mind, after all.

Last edited by MuzikalNotes; 2008-11-14 at 11:38.
Old 2008-11-15, 04:42   Link #275
Shadow Miko
ASuki's #1 Virgillia fan~

Quote:
Nope it isn't revealed. Dx
Really?~ Then I'll stick with my theory that Kanon may some how be

Spoiler:

Ha~

WAS Hanyuu's biggest fangirl, my heart belongs to Virgillia now. <3 Loli Salad - A blog of epic-proportions!
Old 2008-11-16, 19:27   Link #276
kiki_natsumi-chan
Battler follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikalNotes View Post
Edit: Another theory I have come up with is that something similar to what happened in Higurashi
Spoiler for Higurashi:
might have come up in Umineko, but wouldn't that be too obvious? Well, I don't mean exactly that, but something at least distinctly similar. Being confined on an island with no possibility of escape doesn't calm the mind, after all.
Nah...I doubt that. I mean...it would get kind of old, using the same thing. Although it's true that being stuck in an island while they're killing everybody doesn't help anybody calm down, I don't think it can be a local disease that is only found in Rokkenjima (did I spell that right?)
Old 2008-11-16, 19:34   Link #277
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to Shinigami_Mello
If they tried to pull of a Rokkenjima syndrome...well, I cant say I'd be too happy at all. That'd be the lousiest thing that could happen!
Old 2008-11-16, 20:08   Link #278
Eryops

Spoiler for chapter 2:

Of course, I wouldn't be too surprised if chapter 3 has already blown all my theories out of the water.
Old 2008-11-16, 21:38   Link #279
The Creator
Golden Emperor

I have a different teorie about "the" culprit

Spoiler:
Old 2008-11-16, 22:05   Link #280
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to Shinigami_Mello
Just one to say on your theory Creator.
Spoiler for Battler:
Closed Thread