AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-23, 21:19   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Shin Sekai Yori - Character Discussion - Satoru Asahina

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Satoru Asahina related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Shin Sekai Yori fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-10-27, 09:51   Link #2
Ray
Garnet

For the past 4 episodes, Satoru seemed like a character who was "just there", and I saw no reason to like him, but after episode 5, I see plenty. It's nice to see a character who's capable of acting as they should when confronted with danger.
Old 2012-10-27, 11:05   Link #3
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Eh?! Wasn't it obvious that Satoru was just waiting for the opportunity to be "let loose"
Old 2012-10-27, 11:10   Link #4
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Eh?! Wasn't it obvious that Satoru was just waiting for the opportunity to be "let loose"
Opportunity, yes, but there was no indication that he'd be actually good at whatever he got the chance to do.
Old 2012-10-27, 11:13   Link #5
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

He's sexy and you know it.

Old 2012-10-27, 11:13   Link #6
Malkuth
Banned

Judging from personal IRL experience... yes, that's how one behaves when he is unchallenged.
Old 2012-10-27, 11:20   Link #7
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post

-snip-
I love that smirk. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Judging from personal IRL experience... yes, that's how one behaves when he is unchallenged.
But how can we know that one can rise up to the challenge, and succeed?
Old 2012-10-27, 14:43   Link #8
kpk10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post

Old 2012-10-27, 16:43   Link #9
Forsaken_Infinity

Yeah he was a total badass in episode 5 alright. But in the previous episodes he had that stock comic relief side character vibe going on. I am told that that's actually not fair to how he is in the source material. What gives.

Last edited by Forsaken_Infinity; 2012-10-27 at 16:45. Reason: ep 5 not 4 ;_;
Old 2012-10-27, 19:57   Link #10
Dark Wing

To me he didn't come off as comic relief more like the bad boy lancer of the group whose always playing second fettle to the leader Shun and getting envious because of it.
Old 2012-10-27, 20:00   Link #11
Dony2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
To me he didn't come off as comic relief more like the bad boy lancer of the group whose always playing second fettle to the leader Shun and getting envious because of it.
But from what I understand Satoru is the male protagonist, not Shun.
Old 2012-10-27, 20:06   Link #12
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dony2012 View Post
But from what I understand Satoru is the male protagonist, not Shun.
Yeah, but it doesn't change that he was indeed playing second fiddle to Shun until now.
Old 2012-10-27, 20:11   Link #13
Dony2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Yeah, but it doesn't change that he was indeed playing second fiddle to Shun until now.
Really?

I thought his personality really stood up (not in a good way though).

While Shun was more mysterious and quiet.
Old 2012-10-27, 20:31   Link #14
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dony2012 View Post
Really?

I thought his personality really stood up (not in a good way though).

While Shun was more mysterious and quiet.
Yea but he wasn't really doing much aside from being kind of rude and obnoxious. Hell they left him to watch the camp fire while the rest of them with to explore the more of the river during their first night out.

Granted this episode did indeed show him in a new light. As the saying gose you never know the true of a man until you see him during a crisis.
Old 2012-10-27, 21:59   Link #15
noir senshi
Escapist Extraordinaire

I have to agree. As an anime-only watcher, Satoru came off as the comic relief character who would when needed could hold his own but Shun definitely had the vibe of the main protagonist.

If this was the author's intent then I am very very impressed with Shin Sekai Yori.
Old 2012-10-27, 22:13   Link #16
Malkuth
Banned

A comic relief in this kind of anime seems out of place
Old 2012-11-10, 16:27   Link #17
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Yeah, Like some people here, I thought he was merely the 'comic relief' char that will always play 2nd place to Shun. I thought of Satoru as a bit annoying at first, but this queerrat arc really made him into a likable char for me, even more than Shun. The dynamic relationship btw him and Saki was also more interesting over Saki and Shun. The thing about Saki and Shun is that in that relationship, it'd feel like Shun would 'take charge' in everything; like he did with the mantra in ep 7 for instance. However, with Saki/Satoru, it felt like there was more cooperation and unity between them. That might have been caused simply by their circumstances at the time, but nonetheless, that's the impression I got. I guess that's why I certainly wouldn't mind, maybe even prefering, a Saki/Satoru pairing, if it somehow came to that(even if it's considered ntr-ish (>.>)...).

Old 2012-11-10, 17:07   Link #18
kuromitsu

I always thought Satoru had more of a "lead guy" vibe than Shun (as I wrote elsewhere, Shun has this "like me while you can because something horrible is going to happen to me and then I'm going to die" vibe going on), so I wasn't surprised by him in the recent episodes. He seems like the sort of character who may make mistakes and stupid things, but in the end does the right thing.

I don't think he was ever a comic relief... it's just that they're all very young kids. Shun is more mature than the rest which obviously makes him stand out, while Satoru is a 12 year old boy, and behaves like one, which includes pulling Saki's proverbial pigtails because that's what many 12 year old boys do with the girls that they like. I'm sure he's going to mature at least a bit after the timeskip, and I can see him and Saki eventually ending up in a relationship of sorts. (I don't think it would be NTR... Saki may have a crush on Shun and vice versa, but it's not like the two are boyfriend and girlfriend, and in any case they're twelve. Their feelings may change.)
Old 2012-11-10, 20:48   Link #19
Malkuth
Banned

Well, in the beginning I thought too that he was just "interested" in Saki in a childish fashion, but then I realized that he was jealous and competitive towards her.
Old 2012-11-10, 22:26   Link #20
Kirarakim

Satoru also comes off as more interesting to me than Shun. Shun comes off as a bit too perfect (although I am sure he isn't really).

I really liked the developed of Saki & Satoru in these last few episodes.

Tags
characters