AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2021-10-10, 01:24   Link #361
Lex79

Yeah, romance isn't the strongest point of this series. Still done better than DragonBall, though, and considering the genre the mere fact that there is romance is notable.
Next week we'll see how the dragon knights will deal with the bishop, and we'll get a rematch with Hadler. Will he be strong enough with his new body to face Dai and Baran together?
Old 2021-10-10, 01:29   Link #362
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Brocodine is a Popp x Maam shipper. Really hope he won't die and this is just misdirection. Hey, maybe Merle can be his wife since she's going to end up all alone. What's that, you assumed his hypothetical wife would be a monster? That's racist!
I assumed he'd want kids and that the real Dragon Quest would be finding a female crocodile for him.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-11, 12:39   Link #363
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The whole Amy thing is just groan worthy. Is it just there for padding? Or as a fallback if the story locks in on the Popp and Maam ship? The romance really has been a weakpoint for this show. You have characters that just seem to exist as fallback options. Like Merle for Popp and Amy for Hyunckel. As if just to say "characters will have options if things don't work out". Even if Amy especially is a really uninteresting character.

At least if you speed through that stuff the rest is fine. I'm curious if they will eventually kill Crocodine. His existence as the guy who takes severe injuries can only last so long. Plus he's already got his variation of the "once this battle is over I'll get married" thing set. So...he's probably done for .
Old 2021-10-11, 18:35   Link #364
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The whole Amy thing is just groan worthy. Is it just there for padding? Or as a fallback if the story locks in on the Popp and Maam ship? The romance really has been a weakpoint for this show. You have characters that just seem to exist as fallback options. Like Merle for Popp and Amy for Hyunckel. As if just to say "characters will have options if things don't work out". Even if Amy especially is a really uninteresting character.
I think it's more so the end pairings aren't too obvious (besides Dai x Leona which is set in stone). When you think about it, everything revolves around Maam.
Old 2021-10-11, 20:01   Link #365
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
I think it's more so the end pairings aren't too obvious (besides Dai x Leona which is set in stone). When you think about it, everything revolves around Maam.
Honestly it really does. Well her and the actual survival of the characters. If Hyunckel death flags himself into the ground then her options dwindle a bit . But overall whatever choice she makes will slot other pairings into position.
Old 2021-10-12, 02:24   Link #366
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

... Crocodine's looking for a wife. Popp and Hyunckel both have fallback solutions. This series isn't big on romance needing to make sense. Can you see where this is headed?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-16, 11:15   Link #367
Blaat

Spoiler for 53:
Old 2021-10-16, 18:42   Link #368
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Rewatching the OP and ED, I'm pretty sure Baran is the one who is going to die. That shot of him looking like his present self with his wife, Dai combining two crests, Dai using his kamehameha... I'll be surprised if he survives.

On a totally different note, ever since Hyunckel revealed Avan's super secret technique, I've been wondering just how strong, or rather, how weak, Avan really was. He was definitely weak at the time he defeated Demon Lord Hadlar, given that he had to use his last resort to beat him and we know Hadlar was a total scrub back then. And after that battle, it seems he dedicated his time to training others rather than training himself. Perhaps he would have still lost even if he hadn't used up all his MP turning into a dragon.
Old 2021-10-16, 20:48   Link #369
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Avan was strong for a human, which doesn't mean much since most human are pretty weak.
That's exactly why he had to invent so many techniques. He needs them in order to overcome his limitation as a human.

At the beginning at the series, yes, Hadlar was stronger than Avan.
However, since it was the old Hadlar, Avan could pulled a trick or two to even the fight.

The biggest weakness that the old Hadlar had was not his lack of fighting capacity, but his personality.
When he thought that he had upper hand, he became arrogant and underestimate them.
When the odd was against him, he was panicked and couldn't think straight.
That was why he lost every single fight, even when he faced opponents weaker than him
Old 2021-10-16, 23:00   Link #370
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

I think the show had a tricky spot when it came to Avan. Have to make him weak enough to be cleared while still giving him some feats to deserve the praise he has gotten. I don't think being human is that big a deal. Hyunckel is a beast and certainly Popp can finish off top notch opponents with his best stuff. If Avan had continued to focus on improving himself I'm not sure where the limits of his strength could have gone. Plus...he wasn't exactly packing legendary weapons either.

Oh well. Regardless the situation is tricky. Funny that beating Hadlar still isn't the main issue. Even when the guy goes all out and powers up he's still secondary in terms of concerns . The bigger issue really is that he'll blow up if they even fight him seriously. Not that he isn't strong at this stage. But they can't just fight him with that in mind.

I'm curious to see how Baran will sacrifice himself. It seems a given that we'll go that route. I'm just not sure what kind of crazy move he has in mind to deal with the explosion of that core.

You got to wonder about Vearn though. Quite the mental state there. Putting a device that could erase continents into Hadlar...just in case. That's like buying new locks for your door and putting an armed nuke behind it...just in case someone breaks the door down .
Old 2021-10-17, 07:25   Link #371
Lex79

The problem with Avan is that while he was really strong as a human, a Dragon Knight is on an entirely different level. When Baran was introduced it was stated that the reason a human hero defeated Hadler was because compared to the enemies Baran was facing Hadler didn't even register as a threat. And since the series is scaled around Dai, who is a Dragon Knight himself, Avan now looks weak, and everyone in the main cast seem to have surpassed him.
Now there are some mitigating factors in Avan's favor. Since the world was at peace, he was dedicating to raise a new generation of heroes rather than becoming stronger himself, and when he fought Hadler he was spent and probably had subpar equipment. It's possible that had he followed Dai he would have been able to hold his own until the arrival of Baran.
Old 2021-10-23, 14:55   Link #372
Blaat

Guys I think Baran is going to die, but don't quote me on that.
Old 2021-10-23, 15:31   Link #373
Lex79

To use a typical shounen expression, the real battle starts now. After realizing that holding back wasn't really working, it's now time for Baran to fight Hadler with nothing less than the ryumajin form. How different things are than when he was introduced as a villain...
Old 2021-10-23, 18:28   Link #374
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Guys I think Baran is going to die, but don't quote me on that.
They're laying it really thick, huh?

I'm really curious how this is going to unfold. Hadlar can't die now because the lives of his Royal Guard are tied to his, meaning the other heroes would have no one to fight. Maybe Baran will simply succeed in removing the Black Core from Hadlar and die containing the explosion, inadvertently saving him in the process.
Old 2021-10-30, 10:59   Link #375
Blaat

Spoiler for episode 55:
Old 2021-10-30, 14:13   Link #376
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Gotta say, seeing the humanity from Hadlar after realizing he wasn't exactly on even terms with Dai + Baran was kinda sad =0(. Amazing, but sad. It was very impressive, to see him grow into an antagonist you can actually relate to.

I'm also curious who the mystery guest is. I don't recall any woman that wears armor in this story, at least one Leona would recognize.

I'd say its pretty obvious Baran took the fall. If not only because they showed Dai getting ready to be enveloped in the explosion, then certainly because Baran dragonoid form is just too OP to be allowed to live(i.e. it allows the Disciples to do their thing). Although it is quite possible that Hadlar(and maybe + chess pieces) took the fall instead to restore his honor. Would be an amazing way to go for him tbh.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-30, 16:27   Link #377
Lex79

Yeah, Hadler still deserves to die for everything he did, but one can't help but be sad for him now that he ,earned that not only his master was ready to use him as a sacrificial pawn and lied to him, but also ruined the duel he desired more than anything.
Mystvearn finally used the form that was teased during the fight against the Kigan castle. Not much details are given, except that it can be used only with Vearn's permission, it's related in so,e ways to him and if course it's supposed to be really strong.
Old 2021-10-30, 18:28   Link #378
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I'm also curious who the mystery guest is. I don't recall any woman that wears armor in this story, at least one Leona would recognize.

I'd say its pretty obvious Baran took the fall. If not only because they showed Dai getting ready to be enveloped in the explosion, then certainly because Baran dragonoid form is just too OP to be allowed to live(i.e. it allows the Disciples to do their thing). Although it is quite possible that Hadlar(and maybe + chess pieces) took the fall instead to restore his honor. Would be an amazing way to go for him tbh.
I have no idea who the mystery woman could be either.

Vearn commented there were too many rocks left so Baran must have contained the explosion to some extent, but he's certainly dead now. Hadlar must have survived because shounen rules dictates the Royal guards can't die without a proper fight, especially since they were shown to be honorable.

Hyunckel sure is doing well for a guy so wounded he would "never be able to fight again".
Old 2021-10-30, 19:30   Link #379
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Hyunckel sure is doing well for a guy so wounded he would "never be able to fight again".
That statement was made by Baran, who didn't know that he hit Hyunckel with a dull blade.
Old 2021-10-30, 20:54   Link #380
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Kenny dies in South Park. It's the same thing.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, dai no daibouken, dragon quest, remake