AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-02-09, 19:27   Link #21
MCAL

Second PV:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

JUNNA returns to sing the opening song "Dear"
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-02-09, 20:48   Link #22
Frontier

Looks and sounds great !
Old 2023-04-06, 10:40   Link #23
Frontier

Spoiler:
Old 2023-04-06, 11:20   Link #24
Twi

It's out already!

I thought I had more time!

Edit: Okay, review done. Changes below.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Twi; 2023-04-06 at 13:29.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-06, 18:04   Link #25
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Rewatched the first season + the OVAs a few weeks ago as a refresher and I definitely needed it. I had forgotten a lot of stuff.

Going by the first episode alone, I can see why this is called the Hogwarts arc. Not that I remember much Harry Potter, was never a big fan. I wonder how important choosing the cat was, I'm pretty sure it was a case of all the answers being correct but I'm thinking it could affect aspects of her life at the college.

Chise mentioned being in first year of junior high, I'm guessing it's meant to be magic junior high? I know she quit school early but her classmates look to be around the same age as her. Certainly don't look like 7th graders.

It was a good start. I really like Chise and this universe so I'm happy this got another season. I believe the studio changed but I didn't notice any drop in quality.
Old 2023-04-06, 18:19   Link #26
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Rewatched the first season + the OVAs a few weeks ago as a refresher and I definitely needed it. I had forgotten a lot of stuff.

Going by the first episode alone, I can see why this is called the Hogwarts arc. Not that I remember much Harry Potter, was never a big fan. I wonder how important choosing the cat was, I'm pretty sure it was a case of all the answers being correct but I'm thinking it could affect aspects of her life at the college.

Chise mentioned being in first year of junior high, I'm guessing it's meant to be magic junior high? I know she quit school early but her classmates look to be around the same age as her. Certainly don't look like 7th graders.

It was a good start. I really like Chise and this universe so I'm happy this got another season. I believe the studio changed but I didn't notice any drop in quality.
I thought Chise was referring to when she dropped out and not the actual educational year of the college.
Old 2023-04-06, 18:48   Link #27
Twi

I think the College has its own grade system due to the nature of it being so tied to magic.

And you also have to remember that Chise didn't drop out of her previous school. She was made legally dead in Japan when she sold herself (again, she got really lucky that Elias was the one who picked her up). So its not like they can just pull her previous records.
Old 2023-04-06, 20:55   Link #28
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well a very nice start and and the way Alexandra Heath was really well done with they way she moved

So Lucy not a morning person
Old 2023-04-07, 01:44   Link #29
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-07, 02:52   Link #30
Twi

Not surprising though. The way anime are structured these days means if it doesn't happen after a year or two but instead five, people just aren't going to remember what happened. Too much anime is shotgunned out every season now.

It's different if you kept up with the entire arc until the manga went on hiatus after they concluded it earlier this year or did a re-watch. But unless you're willing to go through the trouble, the bits that Chise and Elias brought up are all you really need to know for the moment.
Old 2023-04-07, 08:05   Link #31
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I was surprised Ruth wasn't consulted about the choice of cat.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-07, 09:12   Link #32
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Well a very nice start and and the way Alexandra Heath was really well done with they way she moved

So Lucy not a morning person
Peak relateability .
Old 2023-04-07, 12:23   Link #33
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The episode was alright. Full respect to Lucy though. If someone slammed a door right into my skull I'd probably be in a much worse mood.
Old 2023-04-07, 13:54   Link #34
ryllharu

The episode felt a little strangely framed. As if each sequence was zoomed-in more than I would have expected.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-07, 18:16   Link #35
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The episode was alright. Full respect to Lucy though. If someone slammed a door right into my skull I'd probably be in a much worse mood.
She came across as very cold but yeah, considering what happened it actually went pretty well.
Old 2023-04-13, 09:06   Link #36
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I want to talk about Chise's eyes. I rewatched the entire series in the past few days which helped a lot in providing continuity. After Cartaphilus swaps eyes with Chise, she has two differently-colored eyes, one with his silver-gray coloring and enlarged iris. She stays that way up until the final confrontation where Ruth pulls Chise's eyeball from Cartaphilus's socket, and it falls on the ground. After that, both here eyes are identically colored, and they continue to be in this series. So are we to assume that during the magical repair work needed to fix Chise's midsection they also re-inserted her original eye? If so, then what are we to make of the school nurse talking about how she still had Cartaphilus's eye and memories? I rewatched this whole sequence and saw no explanations for any of this. Also what happened to Cartaphilus's eye?

Wit set a high standard; this show is often incredibly beautiful to watch. The entire scene where Chise transforms into a phoenix was extraordinary.

Also I missed the bit about the dragon curse. (When you watch a series in just a few sessions, you can miss things.) I need to go back and rewatch that section again.
Old 2023-04-13, 10:32   Link #37
Frontier

Elias is back in his female human form and striking quite the figure around the college .

Good to know that Chise can pull off a solid princess carry with a cute girl! Even if she and said girl realize how embarrassing it is. I'd love to see her carry Elias more though .

It's nice to see Chise trying to help this girl with her anxiety and nervousness (she's a proper medicine lady!), although I feel like there's way more going on with Philomela. Especially when Veronica talks to her .

Alice is back with a haircut and Will-O'-the-Wisp! Though he's not about to compare himself to a Familiar as easy as Ruth, but it's nice to see Alice and Chise together again and Alice pushing Chise to get over her anxiety about going to school .

Reina Ueda as Veronica! Though something about her feels suspicious to me. She's very beautiful and comes off quite polite and well-mannered, but that smooth and refined smile feels like it might be a mask for something .

How many shows is Kosuke Toriumi in this season? And he's playing Narcisse, a teacher who will give you an epic and involved speech about the wonders of sorcery...before telling you you're just going to learn Latin that day. Bit anticlimactic .

That green-haired kid looks like he's about to have a nervous breakdown .

I guess Elias had some practice with Chise to be able to play a proper mage teacher for her class, although he still puts Chise and Alice on the spot to demonstrate for the class. It must be weird going to class with your groom and have everybody think he's a cool beauty female professor. I'm almost a little bummed Elias gave the game away at the end .

"Hello, beautiful person" smooth Rian, smooth! She even called him handsome, though that's the first time I've seen a girl turn an attractive guy down because he smells of rust .

So, yeah, good rule of thumb...if a Neighbor doesn't want anything to do with you, don't antagonize them .

Well, I guess Elias only has, like, three people he needs to teach who actually had the aptitude to be Mages. And Beatrice who seems to admire his real form. Though it seems like Rian wants to learn from Chise even though he failed .

Something shady going on at the college? What a surprise .

Next week: Stella! And Joseph !
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I want to talk about Chise's eyes. I rewatched the entire series in the past few days which helped a lot in providing continuity. After Cartaphilus swaps eyes with Chise, she has two differently-colored eyes, one with his silver-gray coloring and enlarged iris. She stays that way up until the final confrontation where Ruth pulls Chise's eyeball from Cartaphilus's socket, and it falls on the ground. After that, both here eyes are identically colored, and they continue to be in this series. So are we to assume that during the magical repair work needed to fix Chise's midsection they also re-inserted her original eye? If so, then what are we to make of the school nurse talking about how she still had Cartaphilus's eye and memories? I rewatched this whole sequence and saw no explanations for any of this. Also what happened to Cartaphilus's eye?

Wit set a high standard; this show is often incredibly beautiful to watch. The entire scene where Chise transforms into a phoenix was extraordinary.

Also I missed the bit about the dragon curse. (When you watch a series in just a few sessions, you can miss things.) I need to go back and rewatch that section again.
That was my understanding.
Old 2023-04-13, 13:21   Link #38
Twi

Review done on the blog.

Quote:
To answer that, she still has his eye. When the curses came to an agreement with one another (Immortality and Dragon), the eye colored itself her regular color as her arm went back to a humanoid shape. Check before the wedding scene at the end of last season, after she put Joseph to sleep.

Last edited by Twi; 2023-04-13 at 13:35.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-13, 15:13   Link #39
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I rewatched that entire sequence carefully yesterday, including freeze frames of Chise's face, and was left confused. At the point where she was wearing the veil her left eye seemed neither its normal color nor his. Rather it seemed a mix of the two. (I have some mild red/green colorblindness so I may not see details that others do.)

So what was the point of showing Ruth ripping out Chise's eye and throwing it on the floor? I thought that implied it was available for some sort of surgical reinsertion after the battle.

Maybe manga readers got a more detailed explanation of events. There seem to be a few continuity details missing in the anime adaptation. Even just a minute's worth of explanation in the final episode of season one would have helped a lot.
Old 2023-04-13, 15:36   Link #40
Twi

Quote:
I rewatched that entire sequence carefully yesterday, including freeze frames of Chise's face, and was left confused. At the point where she was wearing the veil her left eye seemed neither its normal color nor his. Rather it seemed a mix of the two. (I have some mild red/green colorblindness so I may not see details that others do.)

So what was the point of showing Ruth ripping out Chise's eye and throwing it on the floor? I thought that implied it was available for some sort of surgical reinsertion after the battle.

Maybe manga readers got a more detailed explanation of events. There seem to be a few continuity details missing in the anime adaptation. Even just a minute's worth of explanation in the final episode of season one would have helped a lot.
It was because Carta resisted her first sleeping spell. Chise tried to put him to sleep first time, but because he had her eye he was resistant and then plunged his hand through her stomach. Chise used that to keep him in place and had Ruth tear out the eye to take away his resistance to the sleeping spell, which she recast and then passed out as the others headed to her.

That's when she chatted with the Curse and got the details.

Tags
drama, fantasy