AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

View Poll Results: Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 4 20.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 4 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 35.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 15.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 10.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2019-02-05, 12:05   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero - Episode 5 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero, Episode 5.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2019-02-05, 15:46   Link #2
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Is there a pv out yet?
Old 2019-02-05, 16:16   Link #3
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Is there a pv out yet?
episode 5 preview:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2019-02-06, 11:42   Link #4
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

so it is true that they address the reward issue in this episode
I don't really remember about how Itsuki and Ren tried to defend Naofumi to obtain a minimum sum of reward but still it is a classy act from both of them

They tried to put a good pace for this episode considering that Firo's growth is faster than Raphtalia
and her human form got introduced in different way than manga, but I love it.. it is better like this although it is kinda cliche

and that race... Firo, you're truly our beloved chocobo... that "chocobo-esque" OST for race was also great
Finally Firo could pull on her carriage on the television
Old 2019-02-06, 12:04   Link #5
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Well it's confirmed Raphtalia had the slave curse put back, even though Naofumi felt it unnecessary. And the way she said it sounds like it wasn't even just a way to ensure he'd have no reason to doubt her; instead it sounds like she'd come to view that mark as a symbol of their bond and his faith in her. Kind of odd but I suppose it could happen. Additionally, while I don't know if the slavery affected her growth before, since he's now obtained a slave-master shield I wouldn't be surprised if that has some effects. Just like the herb shields made herb quality increase, it'd make sense for a slave-owner shield to have an impact on his slave.

And wow Filo grew quick. Three days to go from an egg to a giant that could eat a moa to a loli angel. I'd have thought it'd take at least two episodes for that much growth to happen. And reading the manga, one thing I noticed they cut out was an odd trait of filolials:
Spoiler for filolial behavior:
Old 2019-02-06, 12:09   Link #6
Renchan

I'm surprised Naofumi isn't fazed when Filo turned into giant, did he think big Filolials are common?
Old 2019-02-06, 12:13   Link #7
Dharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
instead it sounds like she'd come to view that mark as a symbol of their bond and his faith in her
And opportunity to show off her - how to put it better... - more adult appeal.
Old 2019-02-06, 12:52   Link #8
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renchan View Post
I'm surprised Naofumi isn't fazed when Filo turned into giant, did he think big Filolials are common?
The fact the she keeps changing shape at a rapid pace in the first place is already surprising. Can't get any more surprised than he already is.
Old 2019-02-06, 13:08   Link #9
Ichinotachi

The episode was a little bit too fast for my taste, at least they covered the important parts such as the problem with the rewards, the scene with the Queen and the race.

Firo's introduction was pretty well done despite the pacing, that giant chocobo is truly amazing. Her human form is a bit different but I still love it. I'm so happy to see Mein and Motoyasu getting a taste of their own medicine, I hope they bite the dust even more in the future.

I like how Raphtalia decided by herself to do something to prove her loyalty to Naofumi even if it wasn't necessary because the bond between her and Naofumi goes way beyond that.
Old 2019-02-06, 13:45   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The Queen looks as young as her daughter. I'm so jealous of that old fart of a King. He's completely rotten inside and he gets to have such a pretty and apparently reasonable and kind wife. It's good that Naofumi has at least one ally in the royal family, and probably the most important one since the kingdom is a matriarchy. Just sucks for him that she's away, but at least she's sent some ninja chicks to offer him support.

Raphtalia got her slave crest back. Feels really unnecessary, but I guess I can sort of understand her thinking. And that slave shield is definitely going to be useful. Raphtalia attempted to show off her cleavage in the process, but as expected, no reaction. The road ahead will be long for that girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renchan View Post
He didn't even know what a Filolial was until a few days ago, so why would he think her growth is uncommon? I didn't think much of it either when she became huge although I'm not sure why exactly it happened right after the race. Growth related to kilometers run?

Her turning into a loli is more surprising (not really since it was spoiled in the OP) and Raphtalia's reaction says that's unusual. It's clear that Filo is already very attached to Naofumi, but I wonder what her relationship with Raphtalia will be like.
Old 2019-02-06, 14:18   Link #11
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

We get a view of the queen, who is in a country with smokestacks and riflemen. First evidence of variability in the world. Also: Domino Mask spy group starts taking action. Also also: Queen is happy that Naofumi got a demi-human slave.

King and Mein continue to be assholes. Not entirely surprising, but petty in a comically evil sort of way.

Re-sealing Raphtalia. Annoying.

Naofumi unlocks a new shield — Slave User's Shield — however the subtitles don't translate any of the text, including requirements, possible new ability, and a second line under the initial unlock that's shown (+8/+8) that shows a (+13/+13) shield. If anyone can translate that stuff, it would be much appreciated.

Slave Dealer price quotes Raphtalia at 35 gold. On the one hand, a bit scummy. On the other hand, 35 gold to buy her, vs 15 gold to sell the werewolf, his previously most valuable slave (50 levels higher than Raphtalia). On the third hand, I'd almost see it as his way of complimenting her, without actual expectations that Naofumi would sell her — because honestly that would be a stupid expectation given what they just came back to his tent for. More like how friends can go over-the-top in ribbing each other, and this is how he expresses himself. He's pretty strange, anyway.

The watchtower in Lute was rebuilt awfully fast. But then, I guess it's pretty important in a world with monsters.

Filo/Dragon race: Silly. Definite shift in the tone of the series. Well, it's a light-hearted drift away from the seriousness of the previous episode, but still feels a bit too Scooby Doo-level antics.

Domino Masks are curbing Mein's activities. Hard to know what to think of them just yet.
Old 2019-02-06, 14:48   Link #12
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

Spoiler for Episode 5 comments/Feedback:
Old 2019-02-06, 15:24   Link #13
Sacredus

About slave seal from this episode:
Spoiler:
Old 2019-02-06, 15:31   Link #14
Lex79

I'm surprised about how Motoyasu can be so dumb or conceited to never think he is in the wrong, even if everyone around him (excluding Mhne of course) tell him so. Every time he and the rotten princess lose my heart is filled with joy.
Old 2019-02-06, 16:09   Link #15
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
About slave seal from this episode:
Spoiler:
Huh? Isn't seeing her on the map just because she's in the party. Didn't notice that all checkmarks were removed. Still stupid to have her put it back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukes YGO & WS on YT View Post
Spoiler for Episode 5 comments/Feedback:
Fat bird grew into 0year old loli.

Also no need for spoiler tags since we're in dedicated episode threads.
Old 2019-02-06, 16:23   Link #16
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
I'm surprised about how Motoyasu can be so dumb or conceited to never think he is in the wrong, even if everyone around him (excluding Mhne of course) tell him so. Every time he and the rotten princess lose my heart is filled with joy.
He's an idiot. Plain and simple. Especially now that Sword and Bow are being even more reasonable than ever before.
Old 2019-02-06, 16:34   Link #17
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Random stuff:

I tried playing "Where's Waldo" with the Domino Masks in the magician's shop, given that they were aware of Naofumi and Raphtalia's elemental affinities later in the episode, but couldn't find any. I'm disappointed.

Voice actress for the magician wasn't that great. She was trying to sound old, but just sounded flat.

When training Filo, there was a bit with Naofumi in a barn with a massive creature nailed up to a rafter, that he was feeding to his shield. Second time through I realized that that might possibly have been the corpse of the chimera that the other heroes fought. Can only vaguely guess, though, since it's completely skinned, and I can't really tell if the bulb at the end of the tail is supposed to be a snake head or not. Will assume this to be the case anyway.

Level 12 Filo stats:

Attack: 93
Magic: 49
Physical Defense: 71
Magical Defense: 45
Dexterity: 96

Piano/flute/violin background music for Filo growing up was very reminiscent of chocobo time in Final Fantasy.

Motoyasu riding around on a dragon. We know from the slave dealer that a dragon is worth 20 gold. We also know that Motoyasu's reward was 4000 silver, or 40 gold. So yeah, very much throwing money at whatever, with probably absolutely no sense of its value (as evidenced by the later comment about how much 100 silver is worth).

Being made the lord of this region is a complete joke. However the toll being levied is... strange. I mean, the king just handed out 12,100 silver in rewards (121 gold). And it wasn't just to screw with Naofumi. Mein wasn't even aware that he was in the town until he spoke up.

Making Motoyasu a lord is basically meaningless. He flat out isn't the type of person to have the aptitude for it, nor even the interest in it. This is pretty clearly another bit of manipulation by Mein. However that doesn't explain why. Well, the obvious reason is "money", via the obscene tolls being put on the town. Even if they said it's to help rebuild the town, it's obvious that that's not legit. The people are already using all their money to help pay for what they're rebuilding on their own anyway. Being the scum they are, the fact that Mein and the king would use this as an indirect way to embezzle money is a natural assumption. Yet we then get back to the issue that the king handed out tons of dosh in rewards, not to mention the expenses of holding the celebration banquet for several hundred nobles, plus the Pope.

Put it all together and you have to wonder: Is the king running low on cash?

Yet at the same time, this is still a stupid approach. 50 silver entry/exit fees are ludicrous. If you need to drum up extra money, a 1 silver entry/exit fee increase in the main city and/or nearby towns would add up to much more income simply due to the population you'd be distributing the fee across.

So the next thought is: The king wants to keep people out of Lute, and wants to keep the people of Lute contained to their town. More specifically, he wants to keep knowledge of what the Shield Hero did contained. Of course, he's already too late for that, given that the medicine shop and magician shop owners have both already heard of what the Shield Hero did for their relatives, and thus knowledge has to already be spreading. Of course, trying to stop information from getting out after the information has already gotten out has a long and storied history with corporations and governments everywhere, so it's not exactly unbelievable.

The race:

Kind of amusing that the old lord was the race starter, rather than the typical "race girl" (eg: Raphtalia).

Chocobo race theme! Or not. Similar, though. Classical guitars, rather than fiddle/banjo.

And a massive racing challenge for the reward of... A cart! Yes, all of that just to give us a cart to ride around in, so Naofumi and Raphtalia don't have to walk everywhere. Well, and hints about the Domino Masks, and kicking around Motoyasu and Mein a bit more. But mostly, a cart.
Old 2019-02-06, 16:49   Link #18
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I'd guess he was made lord because Naofumi'd been doing a fair amount of work there and because of the positive feedback about him. The queen had already said it's likely a lot of the king's orders are due to Mein's wishes, so probably she wanted to silence those who supported her fall guy, cut his base of operations so he'd continue to struggle, and make some money off of it through taxes.
Old 2019-02-06, 17:24   Link #19
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Actually, I guess there was another reason for this episode, despite the goofiness: To set up some narrative showing different magic being used, types of elements, and ways that it can affect the world. Many shows would go on an infodump to explain how magic works, but in this show neither of the main characters can provide that. Although it would not be unheard of for Raphtalia to have enough knowledge to explain everything to the viewer, it's nice that the story weaves it in more naturally instead.

Types of magics:

Raphtalia: Light and dark, supposedly good for illusions. Hoping for some amazing trickery from Raphtalia in the future. Also appropriate, given her tanuki nature, as they are notorious tricksters and masters of illusion.

Naofumi: Healing and support magic. Notably, Slow and Haste apparently don't count as support magic, since the Domino Mask lady said that the magic traces did not match his or Raphtalia's.

Mein: Wind magic.

Earth magic: Can create pitfalls.

Unknown types: Haste or slow a target. In Final Fantasy, Slow is an earth magic, and Haste is an air magic, so it might be that.

So what is support magic? Well, presumably not a magic that can be used for attacks. Maybe cleaning clothes, cooking, or campsite sanitation needs? Stuff to improve quality of life would be a common isekai trope, and honestly worth it if you really think about the details.
Old 2019-02-06, 18:10   Link #20
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
So the next thought is: The king wants to keep people out of Lute, and wants to keep the people of Lute contained to their town. More specifically, he wants to keep knowledge of what the Shield Hero did contained. Of course, he's already too late for that, given that the medicine shop and magician shop owners have both already heard of what the Shield Hero did for their relatives, and thus knowledge has to already be spreading. Of course, trying to stop information from getting out after the information has already gotten out has a long and storied history with corporations and governments everywhere, so it's not exactly unbelievable.
Thats basically what I was thinking because the other 2 heros mentioned what he did in that village, in that scene the king was visibly annoyed by that. My guess is the contain the gossip

My only thing why so much hate for the shield hero to actively go out to squash him. I know the shield hero was looked down upon but to go out of their way seems strange
Closed Thread