AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-08-27, 02:20   Link #81
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well... that's the *right* way in Japan to eat. Actually its the right way to eat with chopsticks (hashi) in the US as well. One of my Chinese friends refuses to use chopsticks without a bowl. She asserts chopsticks and bowls are incomplete without each other.

I can't really blame anime for my quirks (other than getting me finally motivated to learn Japanese) but after a couple of years of language/culture diving, I've taken to:
1) Nodding my head constantly while I listen to someone.
2) Automatically answering "hai" or "wakarimashita" (damn if I didn't do that accidentally in a non-japanese store in LA the other week... I blame spending most of the day in Little Tokyo just prior).
3) Making inane references that only my son or his girlfriend get.... his girlfriend was over for dinner this summer and some anecdote my son told had me respond with "Nice Boat..." without thinking. His girlfriend almost choked on her noodles.

There's more but its difficult to tease out from my general life-long interest in japanese culture and learning the language. Never mind about my other life-long interests in foreign cultures and my own heritage in Far Northern Europe.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-08-27 at 02:30.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 03:08   Link #82
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Let's see: I rub the back of my head if I'm embarrassed (acompanied with the silly laugh) or when I'm thinking, point at my face when I talk about myself, I make the V sign when they're taking photo, I nod my head and say mmm mmm for yes, and since SHnY, I facepalm A LOT, sometimes saying "yare yare", but only quietly. And when I realize something, or got an idea, I hit my palm with my other hand, and say "Soda~!" (This sometimes also happens when I'm thirsty and thinking about what to drink, then I yell "Soda!", doing the palm thing and then drink soda )

Last edited by Solais; 2008-08-27 at 03:30.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 03:27   Link #83
finalfantasyfanatic
I have arrived on time!

Quote:
Like a lot of people posting in this topic I've started to lift my glasses with my index- and middlefinger. Also, when I don't know the answer of a question I sometimes uncounciously rub the back of my head, animestyle.
I use my index - middle finger to push up the sides of my classes and as an extension I use them to wipe the sides of my eyes. On rare occasions I have rubbed the back of my head but now as my hair gets long it's more common for me to grab my rats tail and clump it together. There'r more my variation of what I've seen and I've only had one friend actually comment on it.

Please visit my site if your interested in the Brave Series.
finalfantasyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 13:25   Link #84
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
I picked up the "pushing my glasses with my middle finger" thing after seeing Ishida in Bleach do that, and after realizing how dorky doing it with your index finger looked...In some cases, I'll even re-adjust them by lifting on the frames, at the part where the frames bend to fold in...

I also mentioned this in another thread, but after watching Shuffle!, I do an Asa-salute when greeting people...Even though I've done a variation of it before, where I do a two-finger salute in a sort of half-assed military style, I started to do it more after Shuffle!, and more like Asa's now...

I used to have a habit of walking with both hands in my pockets with by posture hunched over, a-la Spike Spiegal...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 13:44   Link #85
christinemarie
Crazy One

What habits I gained from watching anime.

01. The way of using chopsticks, praying, and eating noodles.
02. Always thinking of the worst possible situation.
03. Tea Ceremony way of sitting.
04. Sleeping in a futon instead of my regular bed and drying it as well outside.
05. Always bring a toothpaste and a toothbrush along with me. Brush my teeth after eating (breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, midnight snack, outside snack)
06. Become a pizza fr3ak due to C.C.
07. Being nice to children and always helping them out from trouble.
08. Become a manga fan too. Always reading them online when possible.
09. I always put in my mind. "Believe in you who believes in you." so no need for cigarettes just to make me at relax removing the tension from the body.
10. Put my hands on my head when I'm troubled or committed some mistake.
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 13:52   Link #86
space cowboy
cowboy of space

1.Firstly replacing the word cute for kawaii in real life and online. I seriously have a problem. >_>

2.Making the V symbol and stance when things go well for instance:

"hey josh got any beer?"

"yea theres a whole crate in the shed"

*POSE!*

3.When i play tennis i make prince of tennis poses after i score a good point >.<
space cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 13:56   Link #87
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
singing Chiyo's cooking song everytime I have to cook, its just so fun to sing
having fangirl behavior evenw hen watching normal movies and such, the kyaaing and japanese comments dont stop lol
singing anime lullabies wherever I go lol
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 14:14   Link #88
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

I used to make fun of the victory sign thing, since any time someone did that in real life or someone on a forum posted a picture of them doing it, I'd ask them "What's with the 'V' sign?"

...'course, now I do it myself, but I throw the V sign when waving at people, since my fists are usually clenched I don't open my hand up all the way when waving...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2008-08-27, 15:25   Link #89
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

V sign is over-rated, I use the \m/ sign now. :3
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 18:55   Link #90
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
well... that's the *right* way in Japan to eat. Actually its the right way to eat with chopsticks (hashi) in the US as well. One of my Chinese friends refuses to use chopsticks without a bowl. She asserts chopsticks and bowls are incomplete without each other.

I can't really blame anime for my quirks (other than getting me finally motivated to learn Japanese) but after a couple of years of language/culture diving, I've taken to:
1) Nodding my head constantly while I listen to someone.
2) Automatically answering "hai" or "wakarimashita" (damn if I didn't do that accidentally in a non-japanese store in LA the other week... I blame spending most of the day in Little Tokyo just prior).
3) Making inane references that only my son or his girlfriend get.... his girlfriend was over for dinner this summer and some anecdote my son told had me respond with "Nice Boat..." without thinking. His girlfriend almost choked on her noodles.
Agree with the chopsticks-bowl combo. For one, my skills aren't good enough for me to eat from a plate.

Also, what DID your son mention, which warrants a "Nice Boat"? If we're talking about the same boat, it's a hell of a bloody story.
Old 2008-08-27, 19:12   Link #91
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

LOL, funny topic...

I often find myself in the elevator at work or in a lunch line on my break doing hand mannerisms or motions imagining energy of some kind will come out or is emitting from my palm^^...

Before I watched tons of anime I'd eat Ramen straight outta the bag, or just boil it and eat...Now I have to dress it up with fried-egg and meat of some kind to keep up with all the great visual ramen meals I've seen in anime...
Old 2008-08-27, 19:15   Link #92
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

I've gotten so many inane habits from anime but the most odd one I've gotten is applied during basketball games.

Whenever the tension runs high (especially in the 4th quarter), sometimes when I get a rebound I mutter to myself, "Reboundo!" (Slam Dunk engrish FTW)

Quote:
V sign is over-rated, I'm using the \m/ sign now
In our country, the \m/ sign has been the favorite pose for decades (ca. 70's) and it has since been used especially in concerts. The odd thing is, this V-sign, although relatively new. is rapidly becoming the leading pose
that my people do ( After the 'Korean' culture invasion; Filipinos would immediately get this one )
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 20:12   Link #93
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Also, what DID your son mention, which warrants a "Nice Boat"? If we're talking about the same boat, it's a hell of a bloody story.
Damn me if I can remember... it was some anecdote that ended with a complete non sequitur and since Nice Boat is its own non sequitur it seemed to apply.
Old 2008-08-27, 20:26   Link #94
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I've gotten a few habits deeply stuck in me for a long time.

Kiai - A yell to lift spirits and brings out hot bloodedness. I used to do this while practicing taekwondo, martial arts in general requires kiai to bring out fighting spirit and power. I also greatly influenced my platoon's morale with my kiai whenever we had to do something big.

Being someone who's raised on shounen and mecha anime, I'm hot blooded when I need to be. I also shout phrases of hot bloodedness from time to time.

I also take baths right before I sleep, I can't sleep without it, a japanese influence.

I ate with chopsticks since young though, not a real influence from anime.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 20:50   Link #95
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Sometime I like to say katsu when I win at something or I did good at something, though I don't say it aloud.
Old 2008-08-27, 21:08   Link #96
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Also, whenever something embarrassing happens around me (Doesn't necessarily have to involve me or anyone I know), I "drop" my head and sigh; About the only thing missing is a large cartoon sweatdrop running down my head...
Old 2008-08-27, 21:27   Link #97
anselfir
Style Über Alles

typing waifu in place of wife. could cause some problems when something reads "photo of defendant's waifu"
Old 2008-08-28, 01:09   Link #98
Veronin
Fun things are (not) fun.

I can't think of any. I don't think anime has affected anything I do when not watching it.
Old 2008-08-28, 01:15   Link #99
Arceon
Rediscovered
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Arceon
Around my friends, since they have this habit too, we more often than not replace "What" completely with "Nani" seeing its the only world ALL of us know, since not everyone of them is a devote watcher like me

Some of my female acquaintances are trying to see if they can get themselves to drop down on their knees with their legs flailed out to the side comfortably. . .with much failure and yelps of pain.

And facepalming. Lots and lots of facepalming. Other than that nothing. Oh, and boxes of Ramen, but you can blame that on the fact my family is Chinese.
Old 2008-08-28, 05:06   Link #100
emotionless_teenage
mr. nice guy

thinking out loud.i'm copying it from hideki motosuwa.but it doesn't mean i'm proud with it
and words like 'yosh','eeh',anoo~','eeto~',etc catchphrase are already added into mai everyday thesaurus
emotionless_teenage is offline   Reply With Quote