AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Durarara!!

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-02-15, 14:54   Link #441
Ginevra
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renchan View Post
Depends which characters are your favorites. But the ones who stay in Ikebukuro at the end of Durarara!! appears or at least mentioned. Izaya most likely won't make physical appearance though (he get his own spin-off anyway).
My favorities - Shizuo, Aoba, Shinra... I guess that's it? Because I know Izaya and Mikado are gone anyway. So, are those three back in SH? *prays*

Btw, I would honestly prefer Izaya to have kicked the bucket... even though I like him. It's just a bad move, imho, to leave such a character dangling. I'm sure it was done to avoid the wrath of fangirls , but did that really help? The Izaya's fangirls I've met were pissed off when they learnt what happened to him anyway! It's a lose-lose situation, the author couldn't please the fans either way, so Izaya could just as well die.

Also it reeks of commercial greed. Like, ok, I'll write a spin-off with him to grab more cash...

Sorry for criticizing the author, but I'm just stating my thoughts. It's not like I have anything against Izaya, as I said he's one of my faves, I just detest it when characters who're the faves of the audiences aren't given closure.
Ginevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-17, 10:24   Link #442
Renchan
Nyaw~~ X3
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginevra View Post
My favorities - Shizuo, Aoba, Shinra... I guess that's it? Because I know Izaya and Mikado are gone anyway. So, are those three back in SH? *prays*
Those three are back, Mikado too, although he hasn't done anything beside observing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginevra View Post
Btw, I would honestly prefer Izaya to have kicked the bucket... even though I like him. It's just a bad move, imho, to leave such a character dangling. I'm sure it was done to avoid the wrath of fangirls , but did that really help? The Izaya's fangirls I've met were pissed off when they learnt what happened to him anyway! It's a lose-lose situation, the author couldn't please the fans either way, so Izaya could just as well die.

Also it reeks of commercial greed. Like, ok, I'll write a spin-off with him to grab more cash...

Sorry for criticizing the author, but I'm just stating my thoughts. It's not like I have anything against Izaya, as I said he's one of my faves, I just detest it when characters who're the faves of the audiences aren't given closure.
I personally think Izaya doesn't deserve death, while he's a scum he wasn't really "evil" or at least his intention wasn't inherently evil. He's just like an oversized mischievous kid playing in an equally oversized playground called Ikebukuro. Him getting beaten and kicked out from his beloved playground actually hurts him more than getting killed by Shizuo (or Vorona).

Now Shijima in other hand... I don't see this guy will end with just getting some beat down and getting kicked out the city considering what he did (and will do) in SH.
__________________
Signature not found
Renchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-17, 23:05   Link #443
Ginevra
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renchan View Post
I personally think Izaya doesn't deserve death, while he's a scum he wasn't really "evil" or at least his intention wasn't inherently evil. He's just like an oversized mischievous kid playing in an equally oversized playground called Ikebukuro. Him getting beaten and kicked out from his beloved playground actually hurts him more than getting killed by Shizuo (or Vorona).
Well, I agree, but I'm disappointed that there's no closure. If he was kicked out and noone ever heard of him, while it wouldn't be closure, it would at least relay some kind of end. Maybe he died. Maybe survived and hiding. But when the author writes a spin-off novel about his further life, that just feels wrong. It means there's no closure, his story still wasn't told, and the final in Drrr wasn't worth anything, after all.

And ultimately, I see no change. He's still the same. I didn't read that novel, but as I understood, his behavior is still the same. So what did removing him from Ikebukero ever serve, which purpose? He's still the same, but in a different place *shrug*

I would actually prefer to see Izaya in jail. He could have his puppet prisoners while never hurting anyone outside and never changing.

Quote:
Now Shijima in other hand... I don't see this guy will end with just getting some beat down and getting kicked out the city considering what he did (and will do) in SH.
I've no idea who that is, never read SH.

That said, is there any way to read 11-13 volumes of Drrr online? Especially 13. I tried to find it, but it's removed. I can't buy it anyway, it's too complicated to buy such stuff from my country, so I almost completely lost hope to ever read the last volumes.
Ginevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-18, 21:30   Link #444
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginevra View Post
I've no idea who that is, never read SH.
400K kun showed up already in the anime, so you would have recognize him if paid some attention.
His revenge in progress would certainly provoke retribution of the highest degree.

But I totally agree with your point on Izaya. His lack of change is getting somewhat bothering by the end of the story. It starts to feel like the same boring old stuff instead of being interesting. Not to mention his hypocrisy is really getting on my nerve.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-20, 10:13   Link #445
Ginevra
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Hey savvy novel-readers, can I ask for help? I need names of the guys that are currently the members of the Blue Squares. Except for Neko. Do they even have names to put to their faces?

shmaster, it's awesome to have someone agree with me on Izaya. I used to like him a lot, but it feels like he's stuck in an endless loop of never changing or realizing anything. If he doesn't change, then the situation around him should change, which isn't happening, either. Placing him from one city to another is no change.

And I admit at this point I don't even find him realistic. I get that pretty much all characters on the show are weird, but all that talk about love for humanity is so much bullshit it's beyond weird. It was bullshit from the start. I remember how in the 1st season I thought that he was just lying to others to cover up his true motive to make people suffer. But realizing that it's intended as a serious motive... c'mon. If anything, that makes him look like a silly and delusional person. Also, hating Shizuo for being non-human, hating non-humans in general? C'mon, Izaya, you aren't human to start with, either. Humans have strong feelings and attachments, you know. That's what sets us apart from animals or insects. Izaya is like an insect, though, or an animal. I wish some other character talked to him about it.

And as for 400k guy, maybe I'd recognize him if I knew who I'm looking for. I have no idea what SH is about, so I don't know whom to recognize. 400k sounds like a lot of weight, though
Ginevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-20, 15:45   Link #446
Renchan
Nyaw~~ X3
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginevra View Post
Hey savvy novel-readers, can I ask for help? I need names of the guys that are currently the members of the Blue Squares. Except for Neko. Do they even have names to put to their faces?
Some of them have (nick)name (Yoshikiri, Neko, Mitsukuri, Nitari, Gin). But I don't know who is who, beside Yoshikiri (the guy who keeps threatening to kill Aoba because he has luck with girls) and Neko as they barely has lines in anime. There also Kotonami Kuon (SH only) and Yatsufusa who was only mentioned in the novel as the one who gave the Blue Square name.

Quote:
And as for 400k guy, maybe I'd recognize him if I knew who I'm looking for. I have no idea what SH is about, so I don't know whom to recognize. 400k sounds like a lot of weight, though
He's the leader of the drug ring that Izaya destroyed at the end of ten.
__________________
Signature not found
Renchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-20, 19:01   Link #447
Ginevra
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renchan View Post
Some of them have (nick)name (Yoshikiri, Neko, Mitsukuri, Nitari, Gin). But I don't know who is who, beside Yoshikiri (the guy who keeps threatening to kill Aoba because he has luck with girls) and Neko as they barely has lines in anime. There also Kotonami Kuon (SH only) and Yatsufusa who was only mentioned in the novel as the one who gave the Blue Square name.
Thanks, Renchan! That was really helpful. It's ok that you don't know which of them are called which name, just the names will do. It's perfect.

Quote:
He's the leader of the drug ring that Izaya destroyed at the end of ten.
Oh, that one! I see now.
Ginevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-21, 22:12   Link #448
fuff
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
but at the end of DRR izaya is in another city and wheelchaired and not dead....
fuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-22, 16:15   Link #449
Ginevra
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Btw, how is Blue Square gang properly called?

Let's say I want to refer to them all. Would it be correct to say "Blue Squares"? Or should it be a singular form only?
Ginevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-22, 22:19   Link #450
Wandering Soul
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginevra View Post
Btw, how is Blue Square gang properly called?

Let's say I want to refer to them all. Would it be correct to say "Blue Squares"? Or should it be a singular form only?
The gang as a whole is referred to as the Blue Sqaures. So "Blue Squares' would be correct.
__________________
Wandering Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-27, 00:55   Link #451
fuff
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
so for the SH series are these people back: van crew, shizuo and tom, celty??? i know that the main 3 anri kida mikado are minor, izaya is a no show.

and how many new characters are there? a new 3 group...for sure...

edit: do the novels get out monthly???

it took drr 13 chaps to end i wonder how long we will have to wait for SH to be animated.....since ep 13 pretty much hinted that they will do it.

also is the orihara sisters the main cast now along side aoba?
fuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-27, 05:45   Link #452
Renchan
Nyaw~~ X3
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuff View Post
so for the SH series are these people back: van crew, shizuo and tom, celty??? i know that the main 3 anri kida mikado are minor, izaya is a no show.
Yes, they're all back.

Quote:
and how many new characters are there? a new 3 group...for sure...
Beside the main three? Up to vol. 3, there are Nozomi (Kuon's sister), Two Himeka's sisters, Ei Lipei (Dragon Zombie's leader) and his two sisters(?), and a foreigner in Shijima and Mimizu's group.

Quote:
edit: do the novels get out monthly???
The novel release has no set schedule. It took a year from SH 3 to SH 4 (although we did get Sunset with Izaya back in June). Narita currently have five ongoing series and other projects, so the release depends on him and the publisher. He usually publish three volumes per year (this year we already have SH4 and Fate/Strange Fake 3).

Quote:
it took drr 13 chaps to end i wonder how long we will have to wait for SH to be animated.....since ep 13 pretty much hinted that they will do it.
Probably never, unless miracle happen. SH sold much less than Drrr.

Quote:
also is the orihara sisters the main cast now along side aoba?
Yes.
__________________
Signature not found

Last edited by Renchan; 2016-03-27 at 09:47.
Renchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-27, 09:11   Link #453
DeliriousEagle
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The forest or any tree really
He had kidney issues so thing weren't going out as planned
DeliriousEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-27, 19:52   Link #454
fuff
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renchan View Post
Yes, they're all back.


Beside the main three? Up to vol. 3, there are Nozomi (Kuon's sister), Two Himeka's sisters, Ei Lipei (Dragon Zombie's leader) and his two sisters(?), and a foreigner in Shijima and Mimizu's group.


The novel release has no set schedule. It took a year from SH 3 to SH 4 (although we did get Sunset with Izaya back in June). Narita currently have five ongoing series and other projects, so the release depends on him and the publisher. He usually publish three volumes per year (this year we already have SH4 and Fate/Strange Fake 3).


Probably never, unless miracle happen. SH sold much less than Drrr.


Yes.


thanks!

so who are considered minor and main in SH so far...and which characters are not there...i only know that izaya isnt and that celty and shinra arent?? oh okay looks like SH! anime will not be happening anytime soon at all..maybe one day
fuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-28, 03:59   Link #455
Renchan
Nyaw~~ X3
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuff View Post
thanks!

so who are considered minor and main in SH so far...and which characters are not there...i only know that izaya isnt and that celty and shinra arent?? oh okay looks like SH! anime will not be happening anytime soon at all..maybe one day
The mains are the trio, Celty. The rest are more or less the same as in drrr. Shinra and Celty only absent during the majority of the first book (they went on vacation visiting various onsen around Japan ).

So far only ones who don't appear are the ones who left Ikebukuro at the end of drrr (Izaya, Namie, Seiji, Mika, Chikage, and few other characters) and, I think Haruna, her father, and Nasujima.
__________________
Signature not found
Renchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 20:21   Link #456
Twi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
A bit late to the party, but I just discovered this franchise and wanted to ask if Manami Mamiya saved Izaya in the light novel as well and if she appeared in the sequel?
__________________
https://wandsandvials.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/an-alchemist-sets-out-1-01/
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 22:09   Link #457
BPD Renegade
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: at port, docked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
A bit late to the party, but I just discovered this franchise and wanted to ask if Manami Mamiya saved Izaya in the light novel as well and if she appeared in the sequel?
Yes, she and Kine rescued Izaya in the novel. As for the sequel, haven't read it, so can't answer.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-24, 22:33   Link #458
Twi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Ah, thanks.
__________________
https://wandsandvials.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/an-alchemist-sets-out-1-01/
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-15, 17:49   Link #459
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 45
For those interested, the Yen On translation of V5 uses Vorona and Slon as its romanization.
Sean Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.