AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 31 Rating
Perfect 10 1 5.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 65.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 25.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 5.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-05-06, 20:41   Link #21
Jerseykid

Thank goodness something finally happened with Eren

Feels like they had no idea what to do with the plot to me and said ok we'll go this way now.

Last edited by Jerseykid; 2017-05-07 at 09:36.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-07, 01:15   Link #22
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
What chapter of the manga was this? Don't remember reading this part. >_>
Old 2017-05-07, 06:02   Link #23
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I always found this part of the manga to be a hilarious subversion of how most Shoujo tend to be grandiose with their grand reveals of plans and identities. Here it all happens so casually off focus and in the background that you literally had to do a double take and read/watch it again to make sure you aren't hearing/seeing things.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-07, 06:15   Link #24
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I always found this part of the manga to be a hilarious subversion of how most Shoujo tend to be grandiose with their grand reveals of plans and identities. Here it all happens so casually off focus and in the background that you literally had to do a double take and read/watch it again to make sure you aren't hearing/seeing things.
At the time I suspected pages or even chapters had gone missing...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-07, 12:02   Link #25
Mister Twit

Wow what a casual bomb. Actually this is probably taking casual bombs to a new low.

I'm still processing whether doing it this way was a good idea or not. It certainly eschews the trope of "the big reveal" which is... interesting, at least? But my first reaction was to find it funny, which it honestly still is. Hilarious, even. Then it was like confusion. But nothing near "OMG." It's like the gravity of this isn't even real. It's a meaningless, formless, pointless, lightweight plot point and now we're moving on to the next stage. Was the intention to make it so easily dismissed after all the buildup?

Yes there's avoiding tropes, but there's also setup and engagement. Tropes exist because writers are always trying to do the best possible thing for each moment which can overlap and make it seem like they're copying each other (which some of them are). While I appreciate the attempt to be different, I don't know if it really worked to full effect here.

I guess I'll look forward to the next episode for now, but I have to admit this is becoming a bit of a tipping point in my overall excitement.
Mister Twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-07, 12:03   Link #26
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I was so disarmed by the casual nature of the reveal I paused it then frantically began to search the depths of my mind over whether I had missed this $hit in the OVA or something...It was such a freaky feeling...One I haven't had since maybe like an early DeathNote or Code Geass S1-episode...That feeling in your stomach of should I be rooting for this or simple be terrified by it all...

Everybody and their mama knew Reiner was a huge suspect based on the haircut alone, but to think he would go bat$hit and crack like that, wow...Titan bones must be pretty rad in human form aswell given Misaka's slicing failure...

SO fun, but so frustrating given the episode count...Could be ages before we get even a hint of Reiner's "hometown" and whatever f*ckery that may entail...
Old 2017-05-07, 13:17   Link #27
KyoshiLonehearted

Okay, you all need to help me out here with the positive vibes. While I am happy to finally know who those two titans are, I felt the delivery here was just...really, really off and for me, not in a good way. It was too sudden, way too casual. I mean, we are talking about the two titans that has caused countless deaths and the new era of near-extinction of the entire human race and it felt like they had to rush the reveal as quick as possible and said 'That's good enough'.

I hope you all can help me feel more positive about it and give me some good points because I am seriously conflicted currently.
Old 2017-05-07, 16:21   Link #28
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoshiLonehearted View Post
Okay, you all need to help me out here with the positive vibes. While I am happy to finally know who those two titans are, I felt the delivery here was just...really, really off and for me, not in a good way. It was too sudden, way too casual. I mean, we are talking about the two titans that has caused countless deaths and the new era of near-extinction of the entire human race and it felt like they had to rush the reveal as quick as possible and said 'That's good enough'.

I hope you all can help me feel more positive about it and give me some good points because I am seriously conflicted currently.
That was the exact point. The revelation was meant to be too casual because Armin had already told everybody that Reiner and the other guy whose name I can't write well were those two big Titans. As a result, Eren and the others tried to careful, considering even if they faced him, they might lose considering these are godtier Titans and this time there are two unlike with Annie.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-07, 16:45   Link #29
ReddyRedWolf

Mind you when this happened in the manga I didn't make a connection on Reiner's reaction on Ymir being able to read the canned food being herring. In the anime we only got Reiner's surprised reaction not Ymir reading it.

So sequence of events. Reiner, Bertholt, Annie and Ymir came from outside the walls. Ymir ate one of Reiner and Bert's party, a boy. Which why they are surprised at Ymir's Titan form.

Wrecking the wall letting the Titans in and wrecking the walls again is certainly a preemptive strike of an unknown party which Bert, Reiner and Annie are affiliated with.

Interesting bit Reiner switches to calling himself a warrior. As we know Annie was trained harshly since childhood to fight by her father in flashbacks.

This is a distinction from Soldiers who volunteered to serve. Thus we see a culture that sends children into battle. Sure the military trains children to be soldiers but they volunteered for it and there are cases of washouts.

Thus we are presented with two interrelated secrets. The secret inside the walls and the secret outside the walls. For the moment the Scouting Party needs solid intel.
With the appearance of the Monkey Titan there is certainly something going on outside that nobody in the Walls knows about.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-07, 22:53   Link #30
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoshiLonehearted View Post

I also felt like the reveal wasn't as "smart" or "amazing" as the others make it out to be, it just felt... clunky. They pretty much tell us who they are then it cuts to a scene trying to build tension for their reveal? WTF? The tension was all gone at that point so it just looked like they arrenged the scenes in the arong way or something.

This video pretty much sums up the problem with this season or should I say, anime:

Old 2017-05-07, 23:12   Link #31
Ultragunner

I guess this is a "love it" or "hate it" kind of thing. Many greatly enjoy the reveal because it kinda "break the norm" when it comes to vital information. In addition, it also demonstrated how badly Reiner has f*cked up.
On the other hand, that also leaves many others confused and bewildered, but not in a good way
Old 2017-05-08, 05:45   Link #32
DemonneoPT

It was funny because even tho i already knew who the titans were it let me like: "Wait, wtf did he just said?"..lol. I personally liked the way they did it. It was different and it was still able to shock me. But yeah, it's indeed one of those "hit or miss" situations.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-08, 13:33   Link #33
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I loved how freaked out Bertholdt looked during the whole thing. He knew Reiner had lost it and there was nothing he could do.

Eren's reaction in the anime gave me a different impression than in the manga. In the manga, it seemed to me he was in denial about them being traitors, but here I was more under the impression he was trying to follow the plan laid out by Hange and attempted to play dumb to avoid having the two of them transforming.
I feel like that's only because they showed him with shifty eyes and hesitation in the anime, whereas the manga didn't show any sign of him or Armin being "aware" until after the flashback happened. I feel both ways worked well.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 00:23   Link #34
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Anyone notice Bertholdt eyes just gradually got bigger over the two seasons, to the point where i never really noticed him much, but early this season when Baldy's hometown got attacked i just naturally noticed him more just because of the eyes? I was almost like "Do I even remember this guy?"- eyes had that titan-esque droop to them...

Just wondering if the animators wanted it more apparent....
Old 2017-05-09, 09:56   Link #35
Shinagami
Rubiks Cube

Beautifully executed reveal and music was amazing it really set the tone... Actually no the culmination of events the clouds clearing Mikasa's grim expression and Eren's disbelief and Reiner's casualness about all of these things among others made it great... Now i cant wait for the next episode...
Shinagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-10, 10:40   Link #36
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
I also felt like the reveal wasn't as "smart" or "amazing" as the others make it out to be, it just felt... clunky. They pretty much tell us who they are then it cuts to a scene trying to build tension for their reveal? WTF? The tension was all gone at that point so it just looked like they arrenged the scenes in the arong way or something.
Yeah, kinda the same here.
I wouldn't call it clunky, but more awkward. It just passed by.
Anyhow, not that I'm not liking the series, I'm liking it. If anything it feels like there's no MC (closest one to it is Hange that didn't show up as much as she should to fill the spot) so at times I find myself immersed but less attached. It's kinda awkward, again.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-11, 07:09   Link #37
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Oh man I was so hyped when Mikasa tried to take them out. Her face as she looked back to them was FIERCE!
Old 2017-05-19, 12:23   Link #38
QS_Bilal
Gravemind

The delivery and pacing of the episode is done on the level of some of the better Death Note episodes.. considering the theme of one manga chapter per animated episode for S2 (going from the naming of chapters/episodes), I think the dialogue and visuals really delivered on the atmosphere here without being horrible drawn out or worse using long frame stills.

The build up to Reiner slowly losing his cool, with subtle hints in previous episodes, culminating in his seemingly out-of-character breakdown was unexpected to say the least. We notice Reiner mentioning the close counters with titans, the one with the Female Titan and the latter one while protecting connie from the 2-meter class titan. I think this goes to show that, Reiner, given his strength and AT form, holds an unnerving trepidation to insane titans. While I wouldn't go so far as to say it is a phobia, it could be an unconscious reflex reaction to his childhood memories of a titan feasting on his friend while he watched helplessly. Perhaps when thinking of the Connie incident, he was unconsciously triggered and did actually lose it, ironically, giving credence to what Erin was saying.

In that light, the reveal of the AT (and subsequent snitching on CT) was simply that, shock value and real. It was not intended to happen but the circumstances surrounding Reiner's state of mind made it so. It was indeed shock value, I read the subtitles as many times as I could, trying furiously to ignore Hanji. I, like many, concluded it was bad translation or a visual hallucination. Unfortunately, Erin depicted me in rl, and the repeated reaffirmations of our favorite duo leading up to the shifting into titan form made it clear it wasn't a mistake or my imagination.

I suppose the reveal was unusual and was deliberately played off as mundane. I think that is where the shock value was from, doing more with less, so to speak, with the build-up and setting. I think there are three main reasons for the lower quantity of drama:

- the author (and animators) desired to show a natural progression of Reiner spilling the beans due to PTSD
- to convey the feelings of a reluctant betrayal. Reiner could not be shown going on a rampage because he is just tired at this point (remember everything is happening back-to-back from S1).
- the coming out of Reiner perhaps had to be quiet since he wanted Erin to come quietly. it could be that Reiner was embarrassed to show his AT form to all his supposed comrades for fear of judgment/lashback. it could also be that he simply didn't want to fight/kill

Anyway, the background detail is simply eye-popping.. the cloudy skies with sunlight creeping through the cracks to compliment the melancholic atmosphere and character design/impressions are a job well done. It fit so naturally that it is difficult to notice on a first take.

The choice to go with, what people are saying a CG Clossal Titan was okay as well. It clearly gave the production team the time they needed to flesh out the episode in the smaller details. An added benefit of the CG choice for the CT was its slightly peculiar look. It conveyed the impression something was truly amiss here. To have a skyscraper pop out of thin air in the form of humanity greatest demon should look and feel unnatural in every meaning of the word. It is indeed out of the world our protagonists live in and certainly out of place.

With that said, I do feel for Erin here, the shock on his face and his attitude to Reiner's verbal diarrhea is real. Here we have someone who Erin looked up to, perhaps like a role model and certainly as an aniki figure, say that he is apparently a demon.. has to hit you like a train given the situation.

Closing thought; I am somewhat irked at Mikasa not decapitating them two when all was set and revealed. It almost seems like the invincible plot no jutsu kept the AT & CT alive.. Given our unusual reveal earlier that screams creative to shounen, borrowing plot armor from shounen is annoying. We could argue it was hesitation on Mikasa's part as she wasn't completely sure on what to believe. That, and standing on top of the wall makes using the 3DM gear difficult for quick, accurate hits.
QS_Bilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-25, 22:39   Link #39
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Warrior

Finally, I recovered from the shock this episode delivered to me, because I was fully in angst all this episode, and a the next batch of fresh revelations made both uncomfortable and queasy. But, perhaps, Eren's nonchalant or take-it-easy attitude as he received the despairing news became too much for me to seriously stomach.

I'm telling you the next half of the show is going to get sour, distressing, and unpleasant to go through.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote