Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-02-25, 17:47   Link #481
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob3d View Post
@Nenkitsune

yea I understand but like I mentioned before it doesn't really give me the HOLY CRAP feeling since I have seen plenty of these references in Lucky Star/Hayate no Gotoku for example to the point that it becomes almost a normal occurence now to me in anime.However, using it sparingly is always a good thing to poke some fun at other anime/manga =D imo
Eh ... I doubt that the reference was meant to "poke fun". I wouldn't have mentioned it then. The whole episode where this happened was very dark. Actually, I found this scene which BTW
Spoiler:

more intense than the original because the whole setting was more realistic. By no means that scene can be compared to anything in Lucky Star. It's like watching Kaiji #20 and saying "Oh, how cute, they are poking fun at van Gogh".
Old 2008-02-25, 19:44   Link #482
Keiichi no Hibi
THIS. IS WHO I AM.

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi no Hibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Spoiler for Episode 19:
.. I'm sorry but this made me laugh really badly.
Keiichi no Hibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 19:47   Link #483
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiichi no Hibi View Post
.. I'm sorry but this made me laugh really badly.
Why? Is it because I sound like a 12 year old girl with too much emotions?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 02:54   Link #484
noob3d
馬鹿やろ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Eh ... I doubt that the reference was meant to "poke fun". I wouldn't have mentioned it then. The whole episode where this happened was very dark. Actually, I found this scene which BTW
Spoiler:

more intense than the original because the whole setting was more realistic. By no means that scene can be compared to anything in Lucky Star. It's like watching Kaiji #20 and saying "Oh, how cute, they are poking fun at van Gogh".
erm I was not refering to that episode.I was refering to lucky star and hayate no gotoku as in the reason they slit in the anime references was to poke fun at other series for added comedy value but of course the scene in the screenshot was no laughing matter.Sorry if was not very clear.
Old 2008-02-26, 18:41   Link #485
CCYoshi

Only tangentially on topic, but - does anyone have any details on the jacket that Kaiji always wears around? (the "Far East Air Force" one)

I was contemplating attempting a cosplay of Kaiji for an upcoming anime convention, since it seems simple enough, but I want to make sure I get the little details right, because, well, there's not a lot of aspects to Kaiji. XD I found a picture of the sheet on the back of his jacket but the rest eludes me. I think I might be able to figure the patches on the front out when I get some better reference shots from the anime but I'm kind of lost on where to start, figuring with what kind of jacket it is and whatnot (yeah, I'm horrible with clothes, so this is what I could probably use the most help on. and it's the easiest, hopefully, what a coincidence eh?). So if anyone knows this kind of stuff for no good reason, please help a novice. Thanks. ^^

Although, a bit on-topic, it might be a touch hard to achieve full realism considering the latest events in episode 20. I don't think anyone would go that far. Truly a very gripping episode, and it's entertaining seeing the psycho-genius side of Kaiji, instead of the more calculating side from games past.

CCYoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 23:22   Link #486
Keiichi no Hibi
THIS. IS WHO I AM.

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi no Hibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Why? Is it because I sound like a 12 year old girl with too much emotions?
Spoiler for Episode 20:
Keiichi no Hibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 00:35   Link #487
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
A question regarding the soundtrack, does 'zawazawa' mean anything?
found this on a review of episode one

Manga is always packed with random sound effects floating through air, but usually these aren’t included in anime adaptations for the obvious reason that anime has actual sound. Fukumoto, however, is somewhat infamous for “zawa zawa”, a sound effect he made up himself, thus they apparently decided to incorporate it into the show.

It’s derived from the Japanese verb zawameku (ざわめく), which means “to be agitated or unsettled”. Much like the “audible sharpness” of swords in samurai flicks, Fukumoto created a sort of “audible tension” to help convey the gravity of the situation to the reader.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 00:42   Link #488
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiichi no Hibi View Post
Spoiler for Episode 20:
Oh that. I was kinda referring to him escaping death, but at least I see where you're coming from.
Old 2008-02-27, 12:36   Link #489
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 21
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 14:14   Link #490
LifeILL

just saw episode 21...

The first half of this episode went by QUICK....wow that was some of the most tense moments in Kaiji ever.

But the second half was more explanations again. The cliffhanger is ridiculous....how can I wait a week for this??

Spoiler:
LifeILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 16:27   Link #491
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 22
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 23:06   Link #492
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Yea, I just finished watching 22 myself and it looks like
Spoiler for Kaiji's thoughts from episode 22:

Speaking of Tonegawa, found this on niconico...I think those who have seen episode 22 will see this more as a tribute :heh (but if you haven't, it's okay...it just scenes of how the beginning of E Card looked in the manga set to a pop song that has spread across all of Japan...)
Spoiler for DO THE TONEGAWA SHUFFLE:

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 23:45   Link #493
Highfirex

The 21st sub is up.

I need to watch it tomorrow.
Highfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 01:18   Link #494
Holy Knight
Time Bomb

Just saw 21.

It would be a great cliffhanger had I not found out that there was more episodes left. Kaiji will have to live, or the story ends. It's not like I'd care if Tonegawa or chairman did something to those other scrubs. He'll live, and either win the game, or somehow escape death through other means. I just can't see it any other way.
Holy Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 01:44   Link #495
Clarste
Human

Hehe, this is exactly what I thought would happen, up to and including the second guessing by Tonegawa (look back a page). Still epically presented though. Can't wait for 22.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 02:24   Link #496
noob3d
馬鹿やろ

great episode for 21. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time =O.Too bad I have to wait until next week to see who dies.But I get the feeling that it might be tonegawa(just my speculation).I think Kaiji is gonna give the money he wins to that guy who died's wife(ishikawa is it?) to pay off her debts.I doubt it is a good idea but Kaiji is that kind of a guy.Gifted,cunning,a warrior but has a soft spot for sob stories.Like how he took in Andoh and Furuhata(although I admit it was also because he couldn't do it alone) and believed that their "bond" could overcome anything.If it was me I would have killed them off when I got out lol instead of letting them live.

Anyway,I hope I can keep myself from watching the raw for 22. =/
Old 2008-03-05, 03:20   Link #497
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Episode 21 was really good, yes.
Old 2008-03-05, 04:50   Link #498
Chrono Helix

Why would Kaiji die if he loses? He's only betting 18mm in that ear.
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 04:54   Link #499
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Wrong, he's betting his life. The total distance he's bet counts against him regardless of ear. The 18 mm is merely this bet.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 05:10   Link #500
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

You could tell by the way the needle was already half way in. Also I'd think it'd be common knowledge for the bet to continue as is. Resetting wouldn't make any sense.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, gambling, seinen